Search Unity

Project Darkstar Networking fo Unity

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Matroblend, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Matroblend

Matroblend

Has anyone looked at Project Darkstar http://www.projectdarkstar.com/

I like most am on a very tight budget and was wondering if anyone has looked at or has been working with the projectdarkstar for their backend.

2. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

I've looked into it a little bit, but haven't tried implementing it at all.

There is a community member that made a C# wrapper.

I do not see any production examples of finished games though, that kind of makes me nervous.

My final thought was that this would be a time pit for now. Maybe fun for a hobby project, but not something you actually want to get done.

3. Dreamora

Dreamora

Project DarkStar is in Milestone 2 of 4 and before that it was not thaaat usable. As that Milestone was reached last autumn, you can assume that any anywhere real MMO won't be around before summer 2010 (thats 18 months which is already quite low for a common MMO)

4. Matroblend

Matroblend

I know that project darkstar is still very much in development as it was more or less built to support the wonderland project which is also in heavy development.

So what is a good direction to go for the backend system.

5. thecreatrix

thecreatrix

Actually, CampFu launched recently and it uses Darkstar. CampFu isn't a full-blown MMO, but it's a robust example of a commercial application using that engine. I think any indie game would be just fine.

They are running on Amazon EC2 instances, and one of the developers said that it scales nicely.