Search Unity

Games Project Athlan a First Person Shooter

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by greyRoad, Feb 24, 2017.

1. greyRoad

greyRoad

Hello Unity forums,

I've never posted here before but I often check the forums for help with Unity.

I've been working on a first person shooter for the past month and a half. I started with GTGD S3 tutorial series and since implemented some of my own mechanics.

The setting takes place in the areas surrounding a city destroyed by a meteor 50 years ago. The area is now know as the Meteor Impact Zone (MIZ).

You are playing as a government agent tasked with protecting a biologist as she venture into the Meteor Impact Zone in search of viable samples.

My goal is to put my game on Steam Greenlight and have it Greenlit before they replace their submission process with Steam Direct. I understand that this might be difficult but it is definitely not impossible. Any feedback will be appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to look at my project.

Latest Gameplay

Latest Dev Journal

IndieDB
    http://www.indiedb.com/games/project-athlan

Screen Shots:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  2. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I like the "ammo indicator in world space" thing, looks cool!

3. greyRoad

greyRoad

Thank you, my initial instinct was to opt for the conventional ammo display in the HUD, but I just might stick with this one.

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I bet there will be a (bigger) flood of half-baked game uploaded to greenlight before Valve shuts it down.
    Consider strongly not uploading the game to greenlight if it's not ready for public scrutiny.
    The last thing anyone would want is to be lumped into a group of 'the last of the greenlight' with other developers who have placed - getting on greenlight as the top priority - over making a good game.

_M_S_D_ and RavenOfCode like this.
  5. greyRoad

greyRoad

I've always wanted to put a game on Greenlight ever since I first learned about it a few years ago. Now with it nearing the end of it's life cycle, it has become a priority for me. Mainly because I fear that Valve's new content submission process will intentionally put up barriers to entry for people like who have nothing more than an idea and a little bit of programming knowledge. My intent is to have my game Greenlit only to reserve a spot for it in the Steam store. I would not release anything that I would consider sub-par.

To ensure that my game is accessible in the Steam store, I am willing to brand it a Greenlight title and bear the reputation that goes with it.

Thank you for you advice and for putting it mildly, I'm sure you won't be the last one to tell me this.

RavenOfCode and theANMATOR2b like this.
  6. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Looks great so far and I like the short development cycle you have for the game. Hopefully you can pack just enough in to make it worthwhile for a play. Maybe an MVP thing to serve as your placeholder.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  7. greyRoad

greyRoad

MVP, most valuable player? I am not familiar with this concept for game development, please explain.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  8. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Minimum viable product. It means something that is functionally complete, and has all the basic parts in place to allow users to use the product. For instance, a first person shooter MVP might contain a few levels, a few playable and enemy characters, maybe 10 or 20 guns.... basically an MVP is like a list of the minimum of things you "must have" to be able to release the product.

GarBenjamin and RavenOfCode like this.
  9. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Sorry I was busy and just getting to this now. I was hoping and thinking someone would answer in the meantime. So thanks @MD_Reptile for stepping in with the response! :)

MD_Reptile likes this.