Search Unity

Official Progressive CPU Lightmapper

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by Kuba, Feb 2, 2017.

1. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

@Jesper-Mortensen I think I found the culprit. If I bake my scene using the Bake Prefab Lightmap script, and play the scene, not only does the scene become overexposed, but I can no longer see my baked GI visualisations like Directionality and Baked Lightmaps.

I am waiting for my project to be sent over... in your tests, bake with Bake Prefab Lightmaps, and the scene will become overexposed. Seems to happen in my projects

2. kemalakay

kemalakay

Unity Technologies

Hi @KRGraphics

Just to narrow down the issue -> you're baking the objects in your scene not through Lighting window but instead using a custom script for prefabs, right? And it works correctly without directional lightmaps?

Can you also share the bug case ID here when you have it, so we can investigate it more quickly?

Thanks

3. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Good morning. This overexposure only happens if use that script to bake (I'm using an asset that unfortunately requires prefabs) and I will sometimes lose my lightmaps in standalone builds. The case number is 924826. Just sent an update. Not sure if this is happening to anyone else but it is happening in my project.

With non directional lightmaps using the script, the lightmaps will sometimes vanish

4. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

Is this a Unity bug (getting hundreds in the console)? 2017.1.0 Beta 9

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assertion failed: Assertion failed on expression: 'Thread::EqualsCurrentThreadIDForAssert(Thread::mainThreadId)'
    Scene contains quite a few point and spot lights, but certainly less than what was introducing the errors reported several posts above. Precomputed realtime works fine, but baking completely corrupts the lightmaps.

EDIT: Moved to release candidate version, error no longer appears

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  5. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

It's been confirmed... if you use the Bake Prefab Lightmap script with Directional Lightmaps once you play the game, you will get the overexposure... I did this in Non Directional and no overexposure

Also in builds, I lose ALL of my lighting

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  6. KnightsShadow

KnightsShadow

Are there any plans to address the high memory usage of the progressive lightmapper? Its results are great and I really love it but initial RAM usage makes it nearly impossible to render large scenes at high resolution. Even if I would be willing to wait for the process to complete... Unity just crashes

7. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

I have also been dealing with this issue lately

8. pahe

pahe

Afaik from the Unite Europe: Yes, they know about it. Yes, they will address that problem in future. No, it's not the most urgent issue they are working on, as the system is not complete yet and they want to focus on that, before doing optimizations to the system.

buttmatrix likes this.
  9. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Yes, we will be starting work to address the memory usage this month. No promises on when it is available in a patch release.

UnityLighting likes this.
  10. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

And I hope you guys figure out ways to store lightmaps on prefabs. The current workflow is PAINFUL

pahe and filibis like this.
  11. kemalakay

kemalakay

Unity Technologies

This one should be fixed in the latest version of 2017.1.0 (verified in 2017.1.0f1) but please let us know if the issue still persists for you

12. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

Unfortunately 2017.1.0f1 produces other fatal errors for me, including the following (see attached). Submitted a bug report yesterday.
    fatal.PNG fatal2.PNG fatal3.PNG

13. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

In the future, will PLM be able to cache results from previous bakes to reduce iterative bake cycles? I'm not sure the feasibility of something like this for a path tracer, but submitting multiple 8hr bakes just to tweak color / intensity parameters on a light is extremely grueling.

Also, will PLM support Shadowmask and Distance Shadowmask in the official release of 2017.1?

filibis and KRGraphics like this.
  14. kemalakay

kemalakay

Unity Technologies

Sorry to hear that you encountered this bug. It is a known issue though and is already fixed for 2017.1.0f2. Can you share the bug ID here or send me a DM so we can process it?

There is a plan to load converged lightmaps from GI cache, it's under development.

New light modes feature is also under development. It will be released in one of the patch releases of 2017.1 and 5.6, too.

15. CDF

CDF

Wondering when the Progressive Lightmapper will be getting another update?

You guys have been kinda silent about its progress after 5.6 shipped. And I see no details about it in the next 2017.2 beta.

16. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

(Case 926910) Unity 2017.1.0f1 Fatal Error

17. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

And I hope in the patch updates, the overexposure of lightmaps can be fixed and we somehow get the ability to bake light maps to prefabs

18. DGordon

DGordon

For that matter, is Octane going to produce lightmaps as well, and if so, is Progressive going to be dropped or is there a reason to maintain both?

19. KnightsShadow

KnightsShadow

The memory usage thing it the upmost deal breaker for me. I really want to see what the lightmapper can do to my scene but I cant set the resolution to anything higher than 5 (indirect and direct) before windows force closes unity.

Other question: Will it be possible to save multiple lightmaps (Day/Night e.g.) and load them while the game is running? Would be fine if its a slow process to swap lightmaps. I could live with some kind of loading screen or hiding it behind a cutscene

buttmatrix likes this.
  20. mh114

mh114

This was trivial in Unity 4, using the lock atlas -option to generate different sets of lightmap textures. Unfortunately for 5 they removed the lock atlas support and changing lightmaps is considerably more difficult (have to update every renderer to reflect the proper position in lightmap).

21. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

So the progressive lightmapper does not do the stitching while its rendering and it also does not do the filtering any more.

Is that going to stay that way? Is A-trous that much more intensive that doing it every update slows things down? Is it the same for the stitching?

I'm hoping it's not going to stay this way, but if it does, at the very least we need a better workflow for finding good filtering values and see if stitching improves things.

Right now, you need to force stop, see the filtering and the stitching, change values, start the bake again, then force stop again. We at the very least, need a way to keep the filtering updates interactive while we tweak the values, and see the stitching happen on the fly. (maybe a special, edit filtering button?)

With all that said, I'm hoping this is a temporary thing and that there's no point to my post :)

22. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Also...

Does the stitching happen before or after the filtering?

It feels like the filtering happens after the stitching and it brings back some of the discontinuities. If I have filtering off, stitching works great. With filtering the results get a bit worse.

Also, is it me, or does A-trous make things lighter overall?

23. Jesper-Mortensen

Jesper-Mortensen

Unity Technologies

>>> So the progressive lightmapper does not do the stitching while its rendering and it also does not do the filtering any more

We have already fixed that, so now both filtering and stitching will happen while rendering. It is in the pipeline and will land soon.

>>> Is A-trous that much more intensive that doing it every update slows things down? Is it the same for the stitching?

That said A-Trous filtering is much more intensive that the Gaussian blur, so the updates will come less frequently. Stitching is pretty fast some tests showed 5 times faster than filtering, but it all adds up. We have some work in progress that will put the compositing stage onto the GPU, that should speed things up considerably.

AcidArrow and buttmatrix like this.
  24. Jesper-Mortensen

Jesper-Mortensen

Unity Technologies

>>> Does the stitching happen before or after the filtering?

Stitching happens after filtering. The stitching attempts to "repair" the lightmaps so they will look continuous under the rules of bilinear filtering, which happens during rendering so it should be the last stage to run.

>>> It feels like the filtering happens after the stitching and it brings back some of the discontinuities. If I have filtering off, stitching works great. With filtering the results get a bit worse.

What may be happening is that when the UV charts are too close together you will get some aliasing due to cross chart bleeding, the stitching can in some cases make this much more noticeable. We are adding a new visualization and a warning system that will tell you when this is happening so you can more easily fix it.

For now make sure that distinct charts are placed with a suitable gutter between them. With 2 full texels between charts you are safe.

If you have placed charts well apart and still get bad results we'd like a copy of the mesh if possible so we can try and reproduce what is going on.

>>> Also, is it me, or does A-trous make things lighter overall?

Filtering should not add energy to the solution - it may however smooth things out somewhat. Do you have some comparison images showing this?

AcidArrow likes this.
  25. Jesper-Mortensen

Jesper-Mortensen

Unity Technologies

We are still working on it.

Recent additions:
    * A-Trous filtering
    * Double-sided GI
    * Least squares stitching
    * Cast/receive shadows
    * Push/pull dilation (better mip rendering)
    * LOD support

for 2017.3:
    * Mixed lighting (light modes)
    * Transmission improvements
    * HDR lightmaps
    * Cached lightmaps
    * Falloff matches realtime
    * Memory scaling (support massive levels)
    * Experimental API for sky occlusion
    * Visualization for UV chart overlap (and warnings)

further out:
    * IES profiles
    * GPU support

... and a ton of bugfixes

RG_Keith, filibis, scvnathan and 2 others like this.
  26. Jesper-Mortensen

Jesper-Mortensen

Unity Technologies

We have no current plans for Octane baking.

27. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Does this one mean proper transparency support for indirect light?

28. thefranke

thefranke

Unity Technologies

Hey AcidArrow,

yes, this means (among other things like memory usage improvements) proper transmission of indirect light!

Cheers

AcidArrow likes this.
  29. DGordon

DGordon

Is there somewhere that the official planned stuff on Octane is listed? If not, any ETA on when that will start becoming public? There was speculation that it would work in the following thread from a couple of months ago (although the latest posts from today seem to say not). It would be great to have somewhere to reality check what's actually coming down the pike.

"In the previous video Jules Urbach did mention running the progressive lightmapper with octane. He also mentioned it was roughly 10 times faster." from https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/additional-otoy-octane-details.463964/

I haven't actually watched the video mentioned to find the comment ... I just took it at face value.

30. Jesper-Mortensen

Jesper-Mortensen

Unity Technologies

The Octane integration is handled by Otoy mostly so I don't know their roadmap and if/when they plan to support lightmap baking. As for performance I wouldn't be surprised if it was 10x faster as it is running on the GPU. The (builtin) progressive lightmapper will also support GPUs and that should give a serious performance boost.

hippocoder likes this.
  31. DGordon

DGordon

No problem. Just understanding that helps. Thanks!

Also, GPU support will definitely be huge ... I already have a few hefty GPUs for Octane rendering, so that will go hand-in-hand with light baking if it can use all (or at least the best) of them. Very glad to hear that!

32. Snakendidldoe

Snakendidldoe

Hey there,

I am trying to bake a scene with the Progressive Lightmapper and have a few questions. My scene is a university like building with a hedge and a few trees around it, it has to two floors so it is a more huge scene with about a million tris. It is needed to be for VR.
    It takes pretty long to bake, i gues 30 hours (image with adjustments atached). I have 32 GB of RAM. I can`t bake the Lightmap Resolution bigger than 256 or it will crash. I would need bigger lightmap resolution cause i have some seams on objects, but dont really want to unwrap them for lightmap porpuse, because it is too time consuming. I dont use pointlights in the building only emissive Materials inside the Lamps and a directional Light as a Sun.
    I think i figured out that Emissive Light Sources need to have a certain sice to bake their light. Unfortunatly it seems that not all Lights are contributing light. So maybe there is a Limitation of emissive meshes as well.
    Another thing is that i have Noisy lighting in the inside of the building, i thought it comes from a low value in the "Indirect Sample" column but a value of 3200 doesnt help. Outside everything looks nice.
    So my Questions would be:
    Is there a minimum and maximum in size and count of emissive Objects and can i change that somewhere?
    Why is my Lighting inside the building noisy?
    Why does it take so long and it is possible to make the "Lighmap Resolution" bigger?
    Is it at all the right approach to bake a scene like this?
    PLightmapperSettings.jpg PLightmapperSettings.jpg

33. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Sounds like excellent work so far, very happy with Unity's work on progressive! btw was an ETA mentioned for the GPU acceleration on progressive? It's a bit slow to be honest, or more accurately, I torture it so.

TooManySugar and AcidArrow like this.
  34. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

Why is my Lighting inside the building noisy?
    You have 2 options:
    1. You can use spot lights and point lights as indirect light sources to reduce noises and bake time
    2. Increase indirect samples to 10.000 to get clean look indirect lights

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVXvfvDWvto2r9NYSx7PfZG1fHU3rVe4_

Why does it take so long and it is possible to make the "Lighmap Resolution" bigger?
    Always use a low resolution in lighting settings window and increase Lightmap Scale (in MeshRenderer) for special objects to fix unwarp issues
    Or simply use lightprobes for these type of the objects (set them as no-static)
    Watch above videos for how to setup

Is there a minimum and maximum in size and count of emissive Objects and can i change that somewhere?
    No limit

Is it at all the right approach to bake a scene like this?
    Yes. the watch videos. You can bake your scene using Spot lights similar to Unreal Engine demos to archives better indirect shadows and very shorter bake time (3-4 hours => 30 min )

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  35. Snakendidldoe

Snakendidldoe

thak you aliyeredon! I will watch the Videos.

UnityLighting likes this.
  36. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

Reduce bake time from 3-4 hours to 30 min
    Kill indirect lights noises
    Increase indirect light shadows quality

TooManySugar likes this.
  37. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I bake my environment with the Progressive Lightmapper and it lightmaps the environment, light no longer affects the environment (it's baked), but when my racing kart spawns in it doesn't receive any real time light from that same Directional Light I just baked from. The light is set to "Mixed" so it should be casting real time lighting on my racing kart. Why is this happening?

I don't care about real time shadows or anything...I just need lighting on my kart materials to show up.

38. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

PLM (preview version) does not support mixed mode feature . You need to bake using Enlighten or use light probes for dynamic objects

JamesArndt and buttmatrix like this.
  39. filibis

filibis

It is planned feature for 2017.3 . See post #275 in this page...

40. CDF

CDF

If you don't care about mixed shadows, you can still bake with Mixed mode using Progressive. Realtime lighting data should still work.

JamesArndt likes this.
  41. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

No it sure doesn't. Has to be related to the Progressive Lightmapper, because when I baked lightmaps with Enlighten it kept the real time lighting on my karts and the environment was properly baked. Using the Progressive Lightmapper it would bake the static environment. When baking was done I lost all real time lighting on the "Mixed" Directional Light. I found that deleting it and adding a new Directional Light to the baked scene brought back real time lighting on my spawned karts, it also multiplied over top of the lightmaps (affecting them with real time lighting).

42. kemalakay

kemalakay

Unity Technologies

All the lights set to `Mixed` in Progressive Lightmapper fall back to `Baked` internally, mixed lighting is not supported at all yet (including Baked Indirect). What you can do, is to use light probes if you want to sample indirect lighting for dynamic objects. Or use Enlighten until new light modes support is added.

Please be patient as we're working hard to deliver the feature at its best.

Thanks

buttmatrix, JamesArndt and filibis like this.
  43. DDemchenko

DDemchenko

Progressive_UVcharts_01.png

Progressive UVcharts are calculated by shels UV0, why?
    This gives a lot of artifacts, on complex models.
    Can have a solution? Thanks!
    sorry for my english

44. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Ah okay well that explains it. I don't see how this wasn't a higher priority thing (kind of a big deal). The ability to have any real time lighting lost after baking a scene with the Progressive Lightmapper. Does it behave this same way in 2017?

45. kemalakay

kemalakay

Unity Technologies

Hi @DDemchenko

You can use Generate Lightmap UV option under Mesh Importer settings if you don't want to deal with lightmaps separately. That way, you can get rid of overlapping UVs.

Also, not sure which external 3D app you're using but UV1 channel in shader code is used for baked lightmap and UV0 is used for albedo, metal/spec etc (details are available here: https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/important-information-regarding-mesh-uv-channels.370746/)

In Maya, you can see the index dictionary of UV sets on your model through this python script (the order in UV Set Editor doesn't matter):

Code (Python):
    1. def get_UVindex(object):
    2.     uvindices = cmds.polyUVSet(object, q=True, uvn=True)
    3.     uvnames = cmds.polyUVSet(object, q=True, auv=True)
    4.     return dict(zip(uvnames, uvindices))
    @JamesArndt

Currently, the functionality of PLM in 5.6 is the same as 2017.1. And well, you can still use realtime lights for your objects, just not mixed lights for achieving consistent lighting across dynamic and static objects. And don't get it wrong, new light modes support for PLM is indeed a high priority.

Thanks

JamesArndt likes this.
  46. DDemchenko

DDemchenko

hi, kemalakay thanks for your help
    Albedo and lightmap UVs are located correctly,
    I tried to make more examples,
    unity 2017.1
    Thanks) Progressive_UVcharts_02.png

47. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

Try generating lightmap uv inside modeling software . Some models that are made using Booleans is not works correctly with unity Generate Lightmap UV option.

48. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

The Progressive Lightmapper has now become unusable for me. For some reason (and this just started), it now consumes almost all of my CPU, locks up my machine entirely and I have to use the power button to turn it off. I have no idea what the heck happened? Just trying to lightmap a 15k triangle mobile environment. Turned all of the resolution settings way down to iterate over bake times faster. Now it hangs my entire computer up. So much so I can't even launch the Task Manager. When I switch over to Enlighten this does not happen at all. However the Enlighten bake times are ridiculous for a mobile optimized environment.

49. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

Check Ram usage during bake time. PLM needs lots of memory to start baking. I have 32gb for simple terrain baking
    It's usable but with +32gb memory for large environments

50. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

This is a small mobile phone game environment...less than 15k triangles. I have 16GB of ram, but that's always been plenty.