Search Unity

Profiler reports huge Overhead???

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by zelk, Jan 24, 2010.

1. zelk

zelk

When I run my game, I suddenly get a huge Overhead. See the screen shot. What does Overhead mean and how do I get rid of it. I tried running the Process Manager in Windows (or whatever it is called in English) and saw that no other applications but Unity was using the CPU so, what is Unity doing?

/Ricky

Attached Files:

2. RElam

RElam

Appears to be processing exceptions. I've seen that happen (not sure it was exactly the same) when I'm causing a lot of errors/exceptions. I'd say look for exceptions or logs that are happening a great deal (turn off collapse).

3. zelk

zelk

I restarted Unity and the overhead disapeared.

4. StoneFish

StoneFish

I'm having this issue too. Have restarted unity and xcode and nothing changes. Also, there are no errors/exceptions appearing in Console.

Could it be anything else? (e.g. would other programs i have open affect it?)

5. foxter888

foxter888

sometimes that overhead shows up right when you start a unity game or lead the scene i meant,and yes sometimes it's the fact that its still trying to load some components. in my case normally see the garbage collectors spikes lol they always get on my nerves

6. TheCheese

TheCheese

Having your scene window open creates a lot of overhead. While profiling your game, close / hide the scene window and that overhead should go away.

7. MindLaunch

MindLaunch

Unity Technologies

Hey,

Overhead can usually be lowered considerably by setting targetframerate through script (also, keep in mind, that you should disable vsync).

8. NomadKing

NomadKing

Such a bad necro... Aurore is gonna hunt you down!

9. lmbarns

lmbarns

Why is it a bad necro? I'm getting it really badly in Unity 5 and not at the beginning of a scene........
    spike.jpg

Using oculus rift so can't disable vsync.

VipHaLongPro likes this.
  10. QI

QI

Well same problem here, got my game running very good in editor with 5% overhead, more than 1000fps. But on my iPad 2 it saids 95% overhead and less than 1fps..

Anyone know how to deal with it?

kobyle likes this.
  11. kobyle

kobyle

Any clue on that? same problem here

12. QI

QI

I finally figured out it is because one of my shader is using to many bandwidth for iPad 2 to community with CPU, so disable the shader and it works smooth now.

Overhead might indicating something the profiler not sure but cost times, so you need to think about everything when overhead to high.

13. npuz

npuz

Hi QI,
    How can you figure out how much bandwidth a shader is using ?
    In my case, my game runs smoothly in every devices (iPhone 4S and up) except for iPad Mini 2. It has constant lag on iPad Mini 2 with very high and peak overhead :(