Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Procedural vs Handcrafted

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by tiggus, Apr 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dizzysloth

dizzysloth

Interesting discussion. A question regarding making procedural stay percistant and overall adding lighting audio etc. The game I am working on I have a prefab modular asset that I can handcraft place that will take alot of time. Wondering if I am better off doing it procedurally? I want to build the main city components such as buildings and streets procedurally but handcraft the other parts. Is that easily doable?

I am new to Unity but have a background in webdev so coding does not scare me.

2. Teila

Teila

If you can code it, then you surely can do it. I am not a coder and have tried various procedural methods but none give me that organic city feel. So I plan to handcraft the city, and it does take time. As for modular assets, you can put together parts, merge them and then make prefabs or even put them under a game object and make prefabs. Prefabs will save you time with modular assets. I used 3dForge's assets and make a lot of prefabs. :) Otherwise, hand building every house would take forever.

3. Billy4184

Billy4184

I would say, if you can formulate it, then you can do it. The coding part is relatively easy. But that might be what you meant anyway :)

Martin_H and TonyLi like this.
  4. syscrusher

syscrusher

Organizational skills, and automation tooling. In my day job, I deal a lot with event and incident management tooling for IT service management (ITSM) environments. Investigate tools like Jira, Request Tracker (RT), Bugzilla, and similar. There is really good, and free, open source tooling in this area.

frosted likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.