Search Unity

Procedural Mesh Generation Tutorial

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by JennyHide, May 20, 2017.

1. JennyHide

JennyHide

Learn how to procedurally generate meshes in Unity 5.6 and above. We start with simple shapes and work our way up to complex, fractal landscapes. - I made a tutorial on Udemy on procedural mesh generation!

It's in C#, and is aimed at people who already know how to code.

Things you'll learn:
    • Generate complex meshes from code.
    • Program two and three dimensional shapes.
    • Program 2D terrain and 3D fractal landscapes.
    • Use your knowledge of meshes to calculate UVs, add vertex colours, and calculate normals and tangents.

I'll be adding a new section on infinite terrain in the next few weeks.

I would love some feedback on the course - please send me a message or leave one below if you have any. To that end, here are some free coupons:
    https://www.udemy.com/coding-in-unity-procedural-mesh-generation/?couponCode=UNITYBOARDSFREE

And for anyone who'd like to buy it, I'd still appreciate any feedback you have! Here are some £10/$10 coupons:
    https://www.udemy.com/coding-in-unity-procedural-mesh-generation/?couponCode=UNITYBOARDS1

I hope you find the tutorials useful.
    Jenny

2. DominoM

DominoM

Hi Jenny,

I've watched rather than worked through the tutorials. I liked the progression (though tangents are a necessary leap) and presentation.

Audio wise I thought the music intro was a bit loud compared to your voice.

I did wonder why you choose to use the index variable and
    Code (csharp):
    1. for (int i=0; i<numGeometricTriangles; i++)
    rather than
    Code (csharp):
    1. for (int i=0; i<numTriangles; i+=3)
    it seemed like an unnecessary complication to me.

Apart from those minor notes, I think anyone following your course is going to get a good grounding on the techniques for generating game ready meshes.

I hope you find my feedback useful :)
    Domino

JennyHide likes this.
  3. JennyHide

JennyHide

Thank you Domino, that's really useful feedback. Do you think the audio is worth me changing now, or further into the future when I update the course?

4. DominoM

DominoM

Maybe get a second opinion on that. I do a bit of audio mixing so I might be over sensitive to it. I did reach to turn down the volume on the first intro, but it settled into your voice at more like my normal listening level before I got there. I knew what to expect with the others so it was an incovenience more than anything. In a cubicle or headphones it'd probably have bothered me more.

5. jason_yak

jason_yak

Looks awesome, will give this a run through when I find some time =)

JennyHide likes this.
  6. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

Not much difference, but in practice I've found the first way easier to use - always thinking of each triangle as 1 triangle, and only add the times 3 at the moment it's needed. I've taken to using "addTri(v1, v2, v3, ref triIndex);" to pull out all those messy +1's +2's and +=3's.

7. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Hi Jenny,

How much math is required to understand this course?

8. JennyHide

JennyHide

Hello,

There is quite a lot of maths needed, but I try to explain everything as I go. If you're interested, you can get the course, have a look, then refund it if there's too much - Udemy lets you refund the course within 30 days of buying it. You can also ask me questions alongside each video if something doesn't make sense - I'm always happy to help!

Jenny

9. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Thanks. I bought it and will give it a try.