Search Unity

Post Your Unity Layouts Here!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tim-C, Jan 24, 2012.

1. HarvesteR

HarvesteR

3x 1240x1024 actually. :)

Cheers

2. eeytan

eeytan

2 by 3. All the way.

dogzerx2 likes this.
  3. Marceta

Marceta

Is there a thread with pc setup's? It could be awesome too see and share our workspace's :)

4. randomperson42

randomperson42

5. Raitoning

Raitoning

Hi everybody,
    I show you my dual screen layout, derivated from the "Tall" basic setup that we ( I, it makes more professionnal lol) use at Namaeless Studio:

layout.jpg
    I added the console at the bottom of the Scene Viewport and the Asset Store as a second tab of the Scene Viewport, and the Lighting options as a second tab of the Inspector tab. Screen setup: 17" 1280x1024@75Hz primary (right) and 15" 1920x1080@60Hz CRT screen as secondary (left). Sorry for my bad English, I'm French.

Link to my setup: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/post-your-workstations-here.251925/page-2#post-2044356

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Here's me messing about (as you do):

AntonioModer, Flickayy, Ryiah and 2 others like this.
  7. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Here's mine. I have a tiny 17" 4:3 screen that doesn't support more than 1024x768 resolution, so I feel very uncomfortable and crammed up a lot of the time working. This is the best I managed with it.

upload_2015-3-31_10-57-40.png

And when I'm working on a game, not a pack, I usually cram up the scene, and game window next to each other, with animator on the bottom next to hierarchy.

On a side note, if you find something off with my lighting settings, please feel free to point it out, I'm still figuring stuff out in Unity 5. :D

AbhishekRaj likes this.
  8. TonyLi

TonyLi

This reminds me of the Leap for Unity Indiegogo that Fattie tried to get going. Does anyone's Unity layout incorporate 3D input such as Leap Motion? If so, is it actually useful?

9. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I have a separate layout I use sometimes just for play mode.... large full-size game window, with just the inspector, profiler and hierarchy, so I can twiddle with things.

10. MonoLightTech

MonoLightTech

I'm a programmer btw :)

Attached Files:

• asdf.png
      asdf.png
      File size:
      184.7 KB
      Views:
  11. TheSin

TheSin

Whilst working on my fsm node system I have it like so but feel I should get another monitor as I have so many files etc open and regularly shift between them all.

Attached Files:

12. Ryiah

Ryiah

calmcarrots likes this.
  13. gkepets

gkepets

Thats really cool. Never seen it like that before

14. Murgilod

Murgilod

This thread is aaannnccciiieeennntttt.

15. Codelyy

Codelyy

This is my layout that's all displayed on my secondary monitor, I then have my IDE on my primary monitor:

16. varjotiger

varjotiger

Hey all,

I was wondering how a lot of people have resized their console windows to say something like half way across the screen. When i try to snap it to the bottom of the screen is uses the full width and I can't seem to figure how to get it to use only half of it.

Thanks

Attached Files:

17. Meltdown

Meltdown

18. MV10

MV10

I change mine around constantly, but I really wish Unity would let us configure one layout for play/debug and another layout for editing.

frosted, Ostwind and passerbycmc like this.
  19. SarfaraazAlladin

SarfaraazAlladin

Try moving the console into place at the bottom first, then reposition your tall windows afterwords to take up the full length of the side

20. Suddoha

Suddoha

Erm what are you referring to?

Automatic layout changes or just manual layout switching? Actually both is possible, former one appears to need some workaround, latter is actually provided as an option in the editor. It allows to set up multiple custom layouts which can be saved etc.

If I totally missed the point, sorry for that :D

21. MV10

MV10

On the plus side, Unity's layout options are nowhere near as nightmarish as Blender. :D

22. MV10

MV10

Automatic. By "configure" I meant save a reference to two layouts and switch between them depending on run/edit mode. Can editor scripts load a layout? I didn't think to check for that. But it should still be built in.

23. Suddoha

Suddoha

Ah okay, I see.
    Well, a quick search seems to bring up some working solutions, even though some of them appear to be outdated.

But I agree, I'm surprised that this is (apparently) not built-in, but I personally have never really bothered to find a solution before as I currently only use Unity to test parts of my libs.

24. SarfaraazAlladin

SarfaraazAlladin

My usual layout. Most notable is having several project tabs to ease navigation, and two inspectors in case I need to freeze one.

UnityLAyout.jpg

25. varjotiger

varjotiger

Thanks mate you are a diamond! That was frustrating.

SarfaraazAlladin likes this.
  26. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

Here is my basic layout, i mostly just liking having my scene and game view always visible, and i find keeping my project and hierarchy beside the inspector makes clicking dragging to drop prefabs, or to set references much easier. I also keep a 2nd and 3rd inspector tabbed in with my project and hierarchies so i can lock them to things i need to access a lot.

Aside from these basics, everything else pretty much changes per project, and per task. When working on lighting, i actually make the viewport the size of the whole window, and just have my hierarchy project and inspector floating on the other screen and a lot of my projects have there own custom panels and menu items. One of the things i like about unity is you can setup the UI to suite the project or task instead of having to share the layout with all projects.

Unless i am tweaking animation or lighting i also tend to make sure it only takes up 1 screen, since i generally use the screen to my left for slack, chrome and documentation, and my cintiq to the right for reference images and a place to scribble notes. Than my IDE on a other virtual desktop on the primary screen.

BasicUnityLayout.PNG

SarfaraazAlladin likes this.
  27. frosted

frosted

this is usually how my screen looks.
    2017-03-14_23-34-15.png
    The thing I click on most is the project files and inspector.

2017-03-14_23-39-22.png
    Sometimes I'll just set up a bunch of panels like this if I have some settings or something that I need to tweek or debug. So I'll dock these on a second screen or something.

Honestly, if there was one request for unity in editor - it would be a way to easily save little locked inspector sub groupings like this.

I almost never have the game and scene window open at the same time.

28. MV10

MV10

Adam-Bailey and frosted like this.
  29. Bip901

Bip901

Anyone here using a one-screen layout?

30. lunaticCoder

lunaticCoder

Default wide is what suits me most.

31. LaneFox

LaneFox

CropperCapture[4].jpg

Usually something like that.

If I'm working on scenes, its different and the project window and scene view get a lot bigger.

32. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Since I'm mostly writing code, this is my Unity layout right here:
    layout.png

Rodolfo-Rubens and frosted like this.
  33. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

I usually use 2 layouts:

1: For landscape games (I REALLY love this layout):
    upload_2017-8-11_18-54-13.png

For portrait games I use multiple variations of the same layout:
    upload_2017-8-11_18-57-46.png
    And:
    upload_2017-8-11_19-2-50.png
    I switch between those 2 based on if I need to prioritize Game View size or Inspector size.

Based on what I've seen in this thread, I'm wondering if I'm the one with weird layouts or other people are weird... I guess use whatever works for you and your particular project.

34. TonyLi

TonyLi

I've noticed a lot of people keep the Hierarchy and Inspector windows next to each other, with the Project window close by. I started to do this a while ago, too, and it really reduces the distance the mouse has to go for most operations.

I support a lot of different versions of Unity, often opening 3-5 versions a day when handling daily support requests. I put the most frequently-opened ones on my taskbar with custom icons:

35. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

It really depends on what I'm doing. When I'm working with ProBuilder for example, I actually undock it's window and over it to a separate monitor. Same with some other windows, so I don't even lay everything out in the editor.

36. Nickromancer

Nickromancer

My Unity layout on my home PC using a 21:9 wide screen.
    Can go back to non-wide screen anymore...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    DouglasPotesta likes this.
  37. DouglasPotesta

DouglasPotesta

upload_2017-8-12_4-27-46.png
    This is for a 4k 50 inch tv, so I have a lot of workspace. The layout is called ssj3 hahaha

38. DouglasPotesta

DouglasPotesta

I do this as well. I usually only have 2 or 3 unity's installed at once though, so I only have two custom icons.

39. Ceciphar

Ceciphar

I have no idea if its ok to post on an old post but can someone post some more layouts
    this is mine
    upload_2018-9-7_18-48-59.png

40. Janne-L

Janne-L

41. Krustache

Krustache

Really getting used to this one!

upload_2019-6-2_11-52-7.png

User340 likes this.
  42. TonyLi

TonyLi

@Krustache - Wide screen or two monitors? Do you spend most of your time on the art/design side or programming side?

43. HarvesteR

HarvesteR

Here is my current workspace:

My setup has five screens, and my unity workspace (by default) is set up to span the bottom three, plus an additional window on the top right screen (which is a 5:4 monitor).

The top center screen I leave free of unity windows. It's where I have my browser, Slack window, and anything else that needs space. If I need to see both scene and game views at the same time though, I usually move the game view up to the top center.

When developing for multiplayer though, the top two screens are used for the B instance of the project. The B project uses a more compact layout which fits on just the two screens of the top row.

Cheers

Rodolfo-Rubens and Antypodish like this.
  44. TonyLi

TonyLi

Nice! Is your setup by any chance located in a cave full of bats? ;-)

upload_2019-6-3_16-36-55.png

45. TonyLi

TonyLi

It's interesting to see the evolution of your layouts through the history of this thread.

46. Deleted User

Deleted User

How many did I post? I just deleted an old one. :)

47. TonyLi

TonyLi

Just two. But I think the old one was a while ago.

48. Batuhan13

Batuhan13

This my fav viewport but I am using console and projects together

49. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

I gave up trying to find the perfect layout that works for all situations. Now I drag windows around like crazy based on whatever specific thing I'm doing. I have probably twenty saved layouts.

Deleted User likes this.
  50. CanAydin

CanAydin

Cant imagine working without triple monitors.. Gotta love the extra room for Game view :D

Martin_H likes this.