Search Unity

Post-processing stack for split-screen game

Discussion in 'Image Effects' started by thehen2, May 11, 2017.

1. thehen2

thehen2

Hi guys,

I'm working on a split-screen game which renders multiple cameras to the screen. At the moment it's using the camera rect to divide the screen, but the plan is to also use unorthodox shapes which will probably mean using render textures.

The post-processing stack is already quite expensive on a single camera. When applied to multiple cameras it grinds everything to a halt.

Are there any performance tricks I can do in my specific situation? Ideally I'd do anti-aliasing, bloom, vignette in a single fullscreen pass, then do some cheap colour grading and eye adaptation per camera.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

2. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

You've already got the right idea, I'd make a custom image effect for your per-camera stuff, then have all of them feed their HDR textures as RTs into your main camera separately, and composite them. After composition you should just be able to use a standard postfx stack image effect.

Look into how FPS-cameras do it, I think there's a few open-source ones on github, as they use the same kind of tricks to save doubling up on post-pro.

3. thehen2

thehen2

Great, I'm on the right track then, thanks very much!