Search Unity

Possible to view StreamingAssets folder on iOS?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by eco_bach, Mar 19, 2017.

1. eco_bach

eco_bach

For simplicity sake I've decided to put my config file in the StreamingAssets folder.
    But I will need to be able to manually edit this file on the iOS device with some type of test editor file explorer.

Can any iOS devs tell me if this is possible?

2. r618

r618

only your application has access to the folder
    write yourself some imGUI interface for the file

3. eco_bach

eco_bach

ok thanks, so persistentDataPath would be a publicly accessible folder on iOS?

4. r618

r618

5. r618

r618

you can access Documents folder via iTunes File Sharing, too. I believe StreamingAssets are accessible this way ( but haven't tried it for some time )

6. r-pedra

r-pedra

You can access this folder through xCode.
    Select Window->Devices.
    Then select your devices. You should see your developed apps. Select your app, and click on the wheel. Download your container, edit your file by browsing the container content (StreaminAssets should be located in a "Documents" folder inside the package), then select Replace Container.

7. eco_bach

eco_bach

Wow, so convoluted compared to Android. So no way to edit a config file on the actual device?

8. andymads

andymads

StreamingAssets is not located in a Documents folder.

Look at the paths returned by Application.persistentDataPath and Application.streamingAssetsPath, they're totally different. Application.persistentDataPath points to the Documents folder that you can read/write from/to. I'm not sure you can write to StreamingAssets.

Read about StreamingAssets in the manual here.

9. dmelamed

dmelamed

Thanks.
    So I've installed a open source text editor on iOS, but it can only access and edits files in the public Documents folder. Fine.

How can we load from this public folder location in unity?? Application.persistentDataPath points to the applications private Documents folder

Code (csharp):
    1. /var/mobile/Container/Data/Application/<insert long random name>/Documents

yty likes this.
  10. Joits

Joits

Did you find a solution to this problem?