1. We're looking for feedback on Unity Starter Kits! Let us know what you’d like.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2017.2 beta is now available for download.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity 2017.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Introducing the Unity Essentials Packs! Find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out all the fixes for 5.6 on the patch releases page.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Help us improve the editor usability and artist workflows. Join our discussion to provide your feedback.
    Dismiss Notice

Polymorphic Serialization with ScriptableObject crashes Unity 4.2?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Andy2222, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Andy2222

Andy2222

Hi,

i tried to confirm if the prefab problem and Polymorphic Serialization using scriptable objects still exists in unity 4.2 as described here:
    http://www.codingjargames.com/blog/2012/11/30/advanced-unity-serialization/

To my surprise Unity 4.2 directly crashes if i try to use the code from the example?

Code (csharp):
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using System.Collections.Generic;
    4. using UnityEngine;
    6. public class Base : ScriptableObject { public int myInt; }
    8. public class Derived : Base { public string myString; }
    10. public class TestClass : MonoBehaviour
    11. {
    12.     public Base _myBase;
    14.     // This gets called in the Editor when you first create this MonoBehaviour.
    15.     public void Reset()
    16.     {
    17.         _myBase = ScriptableObject.CreateInstance<Derived>();
    18.     }
    19. }
    If u try to attach TestClass to a gameobject, Unity 4.2 simply crashes. So in terms of Polymorphic Serialization, Unity got even worse?

thx Andy

PS: Coming from UDK it was a little shock, that i cant get a Polymorphic List<Baseclass> correctly serialized and usable in prefabs, since this works without problems in UDK.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  2. Andy2222

Andy2222

Did some more testing and also code variations from http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/155352-Serialization-Best-Practices-Megapost now crashes Unity 4.2?

Code (csharp):
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using System.Collections.Generic;
    4. using UnityEngine;
    6. [System.Serializable]
    7. public class Base : ScriptableObject
    8. {
    9.     public int myInt;
    11.     public void OnEnable()
    12.     {
    13.         hideFlags = HideFlags.HideAndDontSave;
    14.     }
    15. }
    17. [System.Serializable]
    18. public class Derived1 : Base
    19. {
    20.     public string myString;
    21. }
    23. [System.Serializable]
    24. public class Derived2 : Base
    25. {
    26.     public float myFloat;
    27. }
    29. public class TestClass : MonoBehaviour
    30. {
    31.     public Base _myBase1;
    32.     public Base _myBase2;
    34.     public void Start()
    35.     {
    36.         if (_myBase1 == null) {
    37.             _myBase1 = ScriptableObject.CreateInstance<Derived1>();
    38.         }
    40.         if (_myBase2 == null) {
    41.             _myBase2 = ScriptableObject.CreateInstance<Derived2>();
    42.         }
    43.     }
    44. }

3. skalev

skalev

I just recently discovered this in 4.2. Was surprised how easy it was to cause the editor to crash.

I've submitted a bug report.

Hope they'll clean this up soon (+1 for hot fix)

4. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Hi, I just checked this in our 4.3 branch and it seems to be fixed there. So a fix _is_ incoming. I'll try and find who did the fix and see if it will be coming to a 4.2 hotfix.

5. skalev

skalev

Great. Thank you for that.

Do we have a time frame for 4.3 ?

6. Simon Says

Simon Says

I'll be waiting for the fix anxiously, since it's kind of a showstopper for me :( By the way, the issue is still present in 4.2.1.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  7. greg-h

greg-h

I changed your code so that instead of using ScriptableObject.CreateInstance<Derived>(), it simply called the constructor: _myBase = new Derived().

It didn't crash. Instead, it complained that it could not find the type.

So, I moved Base into its own file called Base.cs and Derived into Derived.cs. Unity ceased to crash while using CreateInstance<Derived>().

Using Unity v4.2.0f4

8. MikeMarcin

MikeMarcin

This is blocking me currently as well.

Any news on this hotfix or 4.3 release schedule?

9. superpig

superpig

Insert bacon, receive bugfix Unity Technologies

Did you try moving the classes into separate files, as greg.h suggested? I've also had problems in the past with multiple concrete UnityEngine.Object-derived types in a single file, where moving them into separate files solved the problem, so it's worth a shot.

10. Andy2222

Andy2222

I believe greg.h if he says this fixes the problem, however my main problem was correct serialization of polymorphic containers, which is not possible in Unity and i did not see any new info/feedback towards this. I just stumbled on the above problem as a result of trying to understand why serialization of polymorphic containers is not working at all.

I would really like if i could just write: "public List<AbstarctBaseClass> MyList; " and in the inspector i get a list of all "derived : BaseClass" objects i can select and add to this list. This was possible out of the box in UDK and was very handy to design modular systems, that are setup via the editor/level designer. The only alternative i could came up with for Unity, was to use the gameObject itself as "container", but this has its limits, is much harder to maintain and setup, compared to a named polymorphic container inside a component.

bye Andy

11. superpig

superpig

Polymorphic serialisation of non-UnityEngine.Object types has been worked on recently, I believe, so the situation will improve eventually. I wouldn't expect to see it in 4.3 though.

12. Andy2222

Andy2222

mhh the status on http://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/serialization-of-polymorphic-dat did not change since 2012?

Will those changes to "Polymorphic serialisation of non-UnityEngine.Object types" allow to create a polymorphic List/HashSet's that get correctly serialized/deserialized?

As a example we use a modular condition system, but because of this serialization problem, the only way to get this working is to wrap each condition as a Monobehaviour and use the gameobject itself as polymorphic container. This ofc only allows for one condition set per gameobject and only one class can/should use the condition set. What we actually want is to have the ability to store a "Condition Set" aka polymorphic List<BaseCondition> directly inside the using class as field, so we can have as many sets as needed per component/class as opposed to per gameobject.

bye Andy

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  13. superpig

superpig

14. vexe

vexe

I'd like to share my solution to polymorphic serialization: <VFW> Well, not much can be done about it with Unity's current serialization system. So a custom system with a custom serializer must exist. I used FullSerializer as my backend serializer and managed to serialize pretty much all the types that Unity has trouble dealing with (properties, interfaces, abstract system objects, delegates etc)