Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Polybrush - mesh sculpting, texture blending, and vertex painting for any mesh

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by yahodahan, Jan 25, 2016.

1. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

It would be awesome if you can create morph targets when sculpting... Is that in the works?

2. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hmm, as I understand, should already be able to do that- just duplicate at each morph stage, and you'll have new meshes for each :)

3. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

I like what's coming down and the new GUI. :) Thanks! Especially the upcoming QuickBrush type feature.

4. unicoea

unicoea

Hi!
    How to extract blended texture from a polybrush mesh?
    Then it can be use by 3dsmax outside.

5. karl_

karl_

The blended texture is achieved through a shader. So if your mesh is unwrapped appropriately (with no overlapping UVs) it would be possible to do this (but not currently a feature). I'll add a feature request for this on our tracker.

6. lo-94

lo-94

Does this currently support the Uber shader?

How are the textures currently being blended? Is it heightmap based?

7. lo-94

lo-94

Vertex Tools Pro currently has known issues with ProBuilder, just fyi

8. karl_

karl_

Texture blending technique varies based on shader. Polybrush is meant to be compatible with any external shader, it's just a matter of telling Polybrush how to feed data to it. The docs on that process are here http://procore3d.github.io/polybrush/shaders/

On Vertex Tools Pro incompatibilities, at the moment the only way to get it working with ProBuilder would be accessing the ProBuilder API and applying mesh modifications to the pb_Object instead of UnityEngine.Mesh.

eaque likes this.
  9. lo-94

lo-94

Ah so if the object is converted to a standard mesh from ProBuilder VTP works fine otherwise? I'm going to give Polybrush a shot, but just keeping options open is nice. Experimenting with different workflows lately :p

10. karl_

karl_

Yup, if you just export the ProBuilder mesh to Asset or OBJ or whatever it should work fine with VTP.

11. lo-94

lo-94

Is there any way to paint a mesh at runtime? I was looking into a few other options, but want to be able to paint regions based on collisions and am curious if this is going to be available via an API call anytime soon

12. karl_

karl_

It's on the table, but not available in the current release or planned any time soon.

13. Vedemin

Vedemin

Hey, when do you plan to release the final version?

14. bakanekofr

bakanekofr

Congrats on the integration in Unity!

Quick question: Will it be possible in the futur to use texture blending with the Unity Standard shader? For having access to secondary detail textures etc.

Archviz3d likes this.
  15. Elzean

Elzean

Great to see this part of Unity :)

1-With lots of low poly asset, having a way to sudivide a mesh or an area of a mesh would be great (for sculpt and vertex painting)
    2-Is there a way to manage objets with LODs ?
    3-can we sculpt 2 or more meshes at the same time? For example if i have some terrain mesh pieces intersecting each other and wanted to sculpt them all at same time.

16. Thre3ouls

Thre3ouls

Hi everyone! I have a question about Polybrush Blend Material. Can I have a material with the metalness texture?
    I see there is a standard texture blend bump material but I need a standard texture blend bump and metalness material is it possible?

17. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

Thanks! In the future we're planning on compatibility with the new Shader Graph. No plans to integrate with the existing Standard shader however.

1. Definitely agree, it's on our issue tracker.
    2. Not currently, but that's a great suggestion.
    3. Yes, just have both selected at the same time and Polybrush will paint on both.

Polybrush can operate with just about any shader you provide - check out the docs for more information on using your own shaders. http://procore3d.github.io/polybrush/shaders/

Elzean likes this.
  18. _ben

_ben

Hey! I feel as though i'm missing something simple, my problem is that when trying to sculpt meshes, they seem to have a really low resolution that i'm not sure how to change. So if I make a default plane, it has a reasonable amount of vertices to sculpt at that size (still quite low though), but if I scale it up, the number of vertices remains the same and it's far to few to properly sculpt. If I try making my own higher complexity plane mesh, I seem to only have the same low number of vertices to manipulate.. what am I missing?

19. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

Polybrush does not have the ability to subdivide meshes. Use ProBuilder to add vertices to work with.

20. Archviz3d

Archviz3d

Hi!!! Fantastic tool!! Congrats!!!
    But im having some issues using polybrush and android devices (didnt tried ios but maybe its happening their to), im using unity 2017.3.1p1 with polybrush and i have a simple cube and a material on that cube with the shader - Polybrush/Texture Blend (mobile), and i blended just 2 textures and on unity (for pc) i see it all good!

But when i build and run on android device that cube just turned completly black!!!

I also tried with some more complex geometry (house) and with the shader (polybrush/standart texture blender) and i blended two textures (on the walls of the house) and on the unity editor (for windows-pc) everything was great (although in play mode it show the same problem as when its build (no walls)) but when i build that and run on an android device, the meshes that had that polybrush/standart texture blender) just disappeared (so the house suddently didnt had wall ehhe)

Is this working on android and or ios? Im i doing something wrong?

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  21. Archviz3d

Archviz3d

Hi!
    Ive made some more investigation and in unity at runtime the complex geometry of the house, - the wall didnt disappear just changed the coordinates at runtime for some strange reason and was below the house...but the walls were all black like when i built to android!

So is this suppose to work on android and ios?

22. maxime-dotremont

maxime-dotremont

Hi!
    I'm having some issues with vertex paint color :/ When I'm in play mode, the mesh with vertex paint disappeared and if i bake vertex streams with "Apply to current mesh", after a restart of Unity, my vertex painting is not saved and come back to original vertex paint.
    Also, with paint prefabs tools, we paint Clone and not a prefab, it's a little disturbing..
    And then, when we select 2 or more mesh, we can't paint prefabs or vertex color in same time on multiple mesh, it stops and we have to click on the other mesh to paint correctly..

Thanks !

23. adslitw

adslitw

Hey @kaarrrllll, is there a known issue with normals not being recalculated (2017.3.1p4, 0.9.14b0)? Everything is looking very flat!

I started with a plane imported from maya, then just did some sculpting. Standard shader, 'recalculate normals' turned on, rotating model changes lighting as expected (i.e. turn it upside down and it goes dark).

24. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

It's not one that I'm aware of. Can you file a bug report in Unity and PM me the ticket number?

25. Mooshoo-Labs

Mooshoo-Labs

Hi,

I'm having a problem with polybrush, both my coworker and I have downloaded it directly from the unity asset store, but are unable to get texture paint working. I'm on Unity 2017.3.0p3 and when opening the demo scene, I get errors and a material or shader that does't work. I haven't modified the scene in any way and am not sure what could be causing this issue... I've attached a screenshot, would really appreciate any suggestions. The error is an index out of range exception from z_ShaderUtil line 152. My guess would be that its having issues retrieving the textures associated with the material but I'm unsure.

26. Mooshoo-Labs

Mooshoo-Labs

27. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

@Mooshoo-Labs would you mind filing a bug report and PM-ing the case number?

28. dadude123

dadude123

Hi,

1)
    You mentioned that subdividing is on the todo list.
    Any idea when we could see a preview/beta version?
    I hope something like the dynamic topology like in blender will make it into polybrush!

2)
    Is there a way to "set" the height/distance somehow?
    For example in the terrain tools you can have a brush that sets the terrain to a specific height.
    Is there something similar in polybrush or a way to emulate it?

3)
    The asset "Terrain former" has a feature called "Shrinkwrap" where the terrain wraps around physics colliders which is extremely useful for many things.
    Is there a way to enable the same kind of thing in polybrush?
    (You can place a cube, or ramp-like collider below the terrain and then use the shrinkwrap-brush to paint where the terrain should align itself to the colliders above/below)

4)
    Are there any plans to have similar brushes like in blender (cut, carve, clay, erode, voroni/-crackle, pattern, ...)?

29. BMayzak

BMayzak

I'm running into some issues with Polybrush and lightmap baking, if anyone has any ideas..

My scene has a mixed mode sun lighting it. When baking, my static-lightmap Polybrush meshes seem to no longer be lit by my sun and appear darker than they should. If I change my sun to Baked lighting then it is lit correctly, though I need mixed lighting.

Anyone run into this or know how to solve it? I'm at a bit of a standstill since I'd like to keep using Polybrush and lightmaps but I also need mixed lighting to properly light my whole scene.

I'm using the progressive lightmapper to bake the scene, if it's relevant. (Edit: Tried using Enlighten and got the same results)

Polybrush Painted Mesh
    Static Lightmap Enabled
    Sun Mixed Mode Lighting
    Lightmap Baked - Unwanted dark appearance

Same Polybrush Mesh
    Static Lightmap disabled
    Sun Mixed Mode Lighting
    Realtime Lighting

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  30. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

What shader is this using, and do those objects have a UV2 channel?

31. BMayzak

BMayzak

I'm using Polybrush/Standard Texture Blend and have "Generate Lightmap UVs" checked in the mesh import settings.

If I switch from Polybrush/Standard Texture Blend to Unity's Standard shader I get the correct lighting + lightmap but obviously not the benefit of the polybrush texture

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  32. mephistonight

mephistonight

Has anyone come across the following errors in a fresh install of Polybrush from the asset store? Installing in to Unity 2018.1.of2

Shader error in 'Polybrush/Texture Blend (Mobile)': syntax error: unexpected token ';' at line 164 (on d3d11)
    Compiling Vertex program with POINT
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_FULL_HDR

Shader error in 'Polybrush/Texture Blend With Vertex Color': syntax error: unexpected token ';' at line 277 (on d3d11)
    Compiling Vertex program with POINT LIGHTMAP_OFF DIRLIGHTMAP_OFF DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_OFF
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_FULL_HDR

There are some other shader errors too but they're along similar lines.

Thanks,
    M

33. mephistonight

mephistonight

For anyone else coming across this..

If you edit the shader file and look for the following line:

Code (CSharp):
    1. float attenuation = LIGHT_ATTENUATION(i);
    It will appear twice in the shaders. Replace it with the following:

Code (CSharp):
    1. UNITY_LIGHT_ATTENUATION(attenuation, i, i.posWorld.xyz);
    Be warned though, until the author updates the asset to fix this, any time you update from the asset store this fix will be overwritten and you'll have to do it again.

34. mephistonight

mephistonight

I seem to be having problems getting the vertex colours to save. When I paint on a mesh, the vertex painting works fine. I can blend textures based on vertex colour in a shader. If I then bake the vertex streams it appears to work fine. However, if I save the scene, quit out of Unity and reload, my mesh comes back in without any vertex colour saved. It's all white.

Has anyone else come across this problem?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  35. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

Could you please add random scale and rotation (in between two values) for mesh scattering? That would make it much more useful. The current rotation system works well for many objects but not for all. For trees for example you want them to be straight even on a sloped surface.

zero_equals_zero likes this.
  36. EvalDaemon

EvalDaemon

float weight = Mathf.Clamp(curve.Evaluate(1f - Mathf.Clamp((radius - dist) / falloff_mag, 0f, 1f)), 0f, 1f);

Assertion failed on expression: 'curveT >= GetRange().first && curveT <= GetRange().second'
    UnityEngine.AnimationCurve:Evaluate(Single)
    Polybrush.z_SceneUtility:CalculateWeightedVertices(z_BrushTarget, z_BrushSettings) (at Assets/ProCore/Polybrush/Code/Editor/Utility/z_SceneUtility.cs:138)
    Polybrush.z_Editor:DoMeshRaycast(Ray, z_BrushTarget) (at Assets/ProCore/Polybrush/Code/Editor/Interface/z_Editor.cs:841)
    Polybrush.z_Editor:UpdateBrush(Vector2, Boolean) (at Assets/ProCore/Polybrush/Code/Editor/Interface/z_Editor.cs:736)
    Polybrush.z_Editor:OnSceneGUI(SceneView) (at Assets/ProCore/Polybrush/Code/Editor/Interface/z_Editor.cs:589)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

37. JordyJS

JordyJS

Great tool so far. Some things I'd like to see are being able to flatten a mesh to a specific height and custom textures for brushes, basically the stuff Unity's terrain editor does.

corjn likes this.
  38. QuadArt

QuadArt

The tool is great! Small video about it with a combination of ShaderGraph

JamesArndt likes this.
  39. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

That's very cool. This kind of level of customization to Asset Store assets should be the future and where it's heading. This makes it easy for tons of developers to use and start with the same assets, and yet everyone can make it their "own" visually. Keep up the good work!

QuadArt likes this.
  40. SirNW

SirNW

Hello, does anyone know if when painting prefabs if you can make it so their rotation doesn't adopt the to normals but instead they stay locked vertically?

KiddUniverse and MCrafterzz like this.
  41. corjn

corjn

Hey, Polybrush texture painting seems to be broken in 2018.3 bêta

42. corjn

corjn

Hey @kaarrrllll and @yahodahan, so I made some tests with an empty project in the latest bêta (2018.3.0b8) and I confirm that the texture painter is broken with that error when I try to paint on the demo scene included in polybrush package :

IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    Polybrush.z_ShaderUtil.GetMeshAttributes_Legacy (UnityEngine.Material material, Polybrush.z_AttributeLayout[]& attributes) (at Assets/ProCore/Polybrush/Code/Editor/Utility/z_ShaderUtil.cs:150)
    Polybrush.z_ShaderUtil.GetMeshAttributes (UnityEngine.Material material, Polybrush.z_AttributeLayoutContainer& attribContainer) (at Assets/ProCore/Polybrush/Code/Editor/Utility/z_ShaderUtil.cs:111)
    Polybrush.z_BrushModeTexture.CheckForTextureBlendSupport (UnityEngine.GameObject go) (at Assets/ProCore/Polybrush/Code/Editor/Brush Modes/z_BrushModeTexture.cs:164)
    Polybrush.z_BrushModeTexture.OnBrushEnter (Polybrush.z_EditableObject target, Polybrush.z_BrushSettings settings) (at Assets/ProCore/Polybrush/Code/Editor/Brush Modes/z_BrushModeTexture.cs:236)
    Polybrush.z_Editor.OnBrushEnter (Polybrush.z_BrushTarget target, Polybrush.z_BrushSettings settings) (at Assets/ProCore/Polybrush/Code/Editor/Interface/z_Editor.cs:916)
    Polybrush.z_Editor.UpdateBrush (UnityEngine.Vector2 mousePosition, System.Boolean isDrag) (at Assets/ProCore/Polybrush/Code/Editor/Interface/z_Editor.cs:762)
    Polybrush.z_Editor.OnSceneGUI (UnityEditor.SceneView sceneView) (at Assets/ProCore/Polybrush/Code/Editor/Interface/z_Editor.cs:589)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.CallOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:2845)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.HandleSelectionAndOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:2122)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1983)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <ac823e2bb42b41bda67924a45a0173c3>:0)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <ac823e2bb42b41bda67924a45a0173c3>:0)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <ac823e2bb42b41bda67924a45a0173c3>:0)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:342)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:336)
    UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect onGUIPosition, UnityEngine.Rect viewRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:310)
    UnityEditor.DockArea.DrawView (UnityEngine.Rect viewRect, UnityEngine.Rect dockAreaRect, System.Boolean customBorder, System.Boolean floatingWindow, System.Boolean isBottomTab) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:363)
    UnityEditor.DockArea.OldOnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:322)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 worldTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect, System.Boolean isComputingLayout) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:266)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent (UnityEngine.Event e, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 worldTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:438)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent (UnityEngine.Event e) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:421)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleEvent (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventBase evt) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:401)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventDispatcher.PropagateEvent (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventBase evt) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/EventDispatcher.cs:754)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventDispatcher.ProcessEvent (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IPanel panel) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/EventDispatcher.cs:599)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventDispatcher.Dispatch (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IPanel panel, UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.DispatchMode dispatchMode) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/EventDispatcher.cs:307)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel.SendEvent (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventBase e, UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.DispatchMode dispatchMode) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Panel.cs:176)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.DoDispatch (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel panel) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/UIElementsUtility.cs:245)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/UIElementsUtility.cs:68)

PS : I like and use Polybrush a lot, so I take this opportunity to add some wish I would have :
    -A multi mesh painting would be great
    -A lod painter would be great
    -Being able to choose which channel we paint in the vertex painter tab would be very usefull (paint in vertex color, UV 3, UV 4, etc.) The texture painter tab is cool because it supports in the same time painting in different channels, but it's more complicated and not so user friendly to make any shader compatible with it.

Everything here can be done with the "vertex painter pro" from the guy who made megasplat. But having this in a Unity official package would be better in my opinion :)

Thanks for your good work on this nice tool and for your help,

Jonathan

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  43. magique

magique

I'm just trying this out for the first time, but having an issue. I can't sculpt in the reverse direction. The docs say to hold Shift when drag with left mouse and that will invert the operation, but it doesn't work. Whether I choose Direction as Vertex Normal or Up, when using shift it still builds up the terrain instead of carving it out. I am using Unity 2017.2.3f1 for this testing.

44. Sonorpearl

Sonorpearl

@corjn I am using the newest version of Unity 2018.3.0b12 and I am experiencing the same bug.
    I can paint in the scene, with some problems, but I can paint the textures. But when I try to run it or build it, the textures are completely gone.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  45. tcmeric

tcmeric

Having the same issue as posted above with mixed lighting from my scenes directional light. It works fine with either realtime or baked alone, but once it is mixed, polybrush shaders to not work correctly. I am sure my UVs are correct.

Here is an example of mixed, baked and realtime. Just the strip of land in the middle is using the polybrush shader. The rest is standard unity shaders. This is unity 2018.2, with enlighten. With standard texture bump for poly.

Baked baked.png

Realtime

realtime.png

Mixed

mixed.png

Sonorpearl likes this.
  46. tcmeric

tcmeric

I found I needed two steps (I believe).

1. Use the bake vertex option inside the polybrush menu under tools menu.
    2. Try also making it a prefab (after step 1). Then run your scene. This usually did it for me.

47. DJ_Design

DJ_Design

Can't paint textures, or paint vertex colors in 2018.3.0f2, might want to reply to some of your reviews on the store as they seem confused at the bug as i am, being it's one of the major selling points of this, anyways cheers first time using it looks great, hope it all works out

48. GreeneMachine

GreeneMachine

Hi
    I'm using Polybrush Standard Texture Blend shader on a basic probuilder generated plane. Painted a few textures.. looks fine in the editor playback, but completely black on Android build?
    Anyone have this issue and solve it?
    In my test scene I am using one directional light, realtime lighting and no lightmaps.
    Thanks

UPDATE 1:
    > PolyBrush Standard Texture Blend - Black on Android device
    > PolyBrush Standard Blend Mobile = Black on Android device
    > PolyBrush Samples: Simple Texture Blend = Works (but no shadows!)
    >> Same textures being used in slots for above shaders
    >> Unity 2018.2.6
    >> PolyBrush 0.9.15

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  49. GreeneMachine

GreeneMachine

@Archviz3d See my previous post.. did you ever get this problem sorted when you had it on Android builds? Thanks

50. unity_c_cnlfCi9IGxOg

unity_c_cnlfCi9IGxOg

Can anyone help me out with android support, or when the v1.0 is releasing. it's all rendering black on android builds.