Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll: Retiring the 32-bit Windows Editor

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Kjartan-O, Oct 6, 2016.

?

Which version of Unity are you currently using?

Poll closed Oct 13, 2016.
  1. Windows (64-bit)

89.4%
  2. Windows (32-bit)

2.7%
  3. Mac (64-bit)

21.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deleted User

Deleted User

2. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

Let's ask it another way, why are there more new users that cannot afford a 64 bit system than new users that can? What have changed? Are people reverting to 32-bit systems?

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

You're kidding right? There are entire countries around that cannot afford either the 64bits version of any os or a computer that have the proper hardware.

4. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

A: Why does 32-bit share grow in 2016?
    B: Because there are more new 32-bit users.

It's obvious, but unfortunately doesn't clear up anything. Who are those users? Where are they from? Are they really new users?

I've noticed that Core i3 / 2-3Gb / 1366x768 shares are also growing a bit. Looks like cheap but relatively capable laptops. Are they primary machines people use for development because they have no choice, or newly bought secondary ones that people install Unity to because they can?

The cheap netbook I bought this summer had 64-bit Windows 10 preinstalled. The previous one had 64-bit version of Windows 8. All the laptops my local store offers are 64-bit capable, even the cheapest ones on Atom CPUs.

5. WillNode

WillNode

I think it's not really accurate. Note that the stats only display percentages. It is either existing 32-bit users going busy or 64-bit users just lazy to connect their internet. it is just a coicidence. why? because ...

Sketch (6).png
    .. and not regularly updated.

6. Chrisasan

Chrisasan

Will the editor still build 32bit windows code? This allows me to make the game for both win32 and also win64 with one app (the win32).

7. boxhallowed

boxhallowed

32 bit is dead and dying, but the more important question is; what would we as Unity devs GAIN from 32 bit being abolished? Would we gain faster development in key areas like 2D? Would we see more rapid releases? Is 32 bit support that much of a pain for the Unity team?

8. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

My guess is, one less Mono runtime platform for the scripting team to maintain, plus having to ensure that every third party library they use still works correctly on 32-bit, even if the actual maintainers may have stopped targeting x86.

9. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

Yes, but the proper hardware is up to 13 years old and far older than anything that can actually run Unity. Anything AMD since 2003, anything Desktop Intel since 2006 and even Intel Atom processors since 2009-10.

We are talking about proper archaeology here, to the point that I'm not sure how much useful work you can do in Unity on hardware that slow.

I could buy into the not being able to afford a 64-bit version of Windows argument, which to me is a pretty good reason for Unity to take the Linux build out of experimental status finally.

10. rainboww

rainboww

There will be always people using some old stuff, but as developer i think most people rather use a recent enough pc.

If it is very little extra work i would suggest to keep old things around but only release them rarely maybe every two full versions.

11. arcticwolfjd

arcticwolfjd

Wait, forgive my ignorance, but is there no 32-bit version for Mac?

12. zero_null

zero_null

64-bit for PC and Mac is Good and more than enough.

13. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

Keeping in mind this doesn't apply to me (perpetual user) but does apply to someone I know (subscriber)

As long as Unity is willing to allow developers stuck in a 32bit environment an exclusion from your stiff Pro contract requirements, it would be up to you. You are going to pull support for it eventually anyways, might as well do it sooner. I would just do the respectable thing and make sure not to take advantage of your customers who can't transition with you - your attempt to save cash on development should not be at the expense of paying users.

14. rainboww

rainboww

I just realized that my new windows 10 travel tablet came with win 32 bit but runs unity now fair enough for developing with unity and vs

15. ClanAlba

ClanAlba

Currently using 32 bit and will be for the next couple of weeks. But then I will hopefully be using a new computer, the spec I want is 64 bit with i7 core , 8 GB and at least 500GB plus a graphics GeForce chip.
    Would prefer desktop spec with 1TB and GPU but need to buy a laptop to use at work as well as home.
    I found as my game progressed the speed of the build slowed way down and I needed to reduce the graphics resolution to build it so updating to 64 bit etc should help.

16. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

Using a 64-bit Editor does not have a measurable effect on performance. It affects how much memory the editor can use.

17. jvo3dc

jvo3dc

The only reason we use the 32 bit editor sometimes is Vuforia. For the rest it's 64 bit only.

18. alphavirus

alphavirus

32 bit version should be slated for deprecation. Give users a time frame such as "by end of 2017" or "version 5.X will be 64 bit only". 8GB has become the minimum standard in the USA. I understand there are areas in the world where it is more difficult to reach 8GB either due to cost or available supply, but you can still use 4GB with 64 bit.

Removing 32 bit support will free up resources at Unity offices for other important projects.

19. WillNode

WillNode

8 GB? Really? In my country (and all of my friends) 2 GB is just "enough" for all needs. Yeah, I can't afford new computer for that, but I just moved to 64-bit now. People were right. upgrading to 64-bit from 32 (with 2 GB RAM) have no impact at all. My laptop just fast and slow as usual. Dev should use 64-bit for their goodness.

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

It's always the same tune: the majority rules, the minotiry dies, isn't it?

(To make things clear; my computer is 64 bits with 8gB of ram and 3 gB of vram. I cannot stand the arrogant who think that everything should be levelled to their standards though.)

21. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

I am sorry, but yes, otherwise where should the line be drawn? Should XP still be supported? There are millions still using it!

Supporting 32-bit doesn't just mean supporting their own code, it also means that any third party middleware, any tools, any part of the build chain, has to be maintained for two architectures. If one of the tools no longer supports x86 in Windows, it means that they would have to either stick to an old version or outright drop it.

In my opinion, the only thing Unity has to do to provide people who are stuck on 32-bit Windows with an upgrade path is to make the Linux editor a fully supported product. The vast majority of these users will have hardware that is capable of running a 64-bit OS and Linux distros tend to be free.

22. OLGV

OLGV

Having access to a 32 bit version saved me couple of months a go when in need to deploy for a very low level hardware (UWP).

I understand the pain of maintaining a 32 bit version editor, but are we going to be able to deploy on 32 bit hardware if needed ?

23. Sycobob

Sycobob

This is about deprecating the 32-bit Editor. Not deprecating 32-bit builds. I haven't heard anything about dropping support for 32-bit players.

24. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Frankly I think keeping the 32 bit editor around this long is silly. Free versions of Unity are available because if you like it there is a chance you'll end up paying for services from Unity, be it Plus or Pro licenses or assets from the asset store. The people who are paying for these services are providing the funds necessary for continuing development of all things Unity, including the 32 bit editor.

I feel sorry for people stuck with computer hardware which pre-dates the iPhone, but really how much money is coming into Unity from people with 10+ year old development hardware? It is probably next to nothing.

Development resources which would then be available for things like bug fixes or new features are directed towards the fairly significant investment of maintaining an editor which generates practically no income from which to pay for its continued development in the first place. Development resources should be primarily directed towards areas that benefit their paying customers the most, making sure Unity stays the top game engine on a variety of platforms, so as to keep those paying customers paying.

WillNode likes this.
  25. Fizzer

Fizzer

Well, I did have an old computer I was using as a Unity build server. It only had 2gb of ram so it was running 32 bit windows, and therefore 32 bit unity. But then when I upgraded to 5.6, I noticed that WebGL projects weren't supported on 32 bit Unity. Therefore I was forced to upgrade my build server to something more modern to continue building WebGL.

So I'm not using 32 bit Unity anymore but only because my hand was forced.

26. blitzen

blitzen

I would highly prefer a Linux editor to all of the above.

27. knobby67

knobby67

Linux...

28. Garrom

Garrom

Well. I personaly use x64 version but unity can be put to flash disc and work everywhere..... everywhere where is x64 system... not many places. Besides, many people cannot afford 64bit system or CPU. Statisticly, x64 CPUs are more expensive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.