Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

PlayWay Water - high quality water system

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by zuzzu, Oct 9, 2015.

1. zuzzu

zuzzu

I'm looking into that issue.

Regarding the announcement, it's a matter of a few days I think. It isn't up to me, sorry.

SirTwistedStorm and olavrv like this.
  2. MarcopoloR

MarcopoloR

Great, thanks for getting back to me, glad to know you are still supporting this asset for now.

3. Fatalis

Fatalis

I have been hearing good things about this water asset. I have a scene with hundreds of thousands of vegetation assets and am currently using Suimono, which unfortunately performs terribly with this type of scene. How does PlayWater's performance compare to Suimono?

4. ibyte

ibyte

@zuzzu Please add me to your interested parties list for a 2017.1f3 fix. Beta or not is fine with me at this point.

Thanks

5. sadicus

sadicus

Unity 5.6.0
    pw2.0b1 is all pink errors. I emailed zuzzu but if anyone knows how to fix these please do. ;)
    TerrainData is missing splat texture 0.
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

TerrainData is missing splat texture 1.
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

Shader error in 'PlayWay Water/Wettable Shaders/Terrain Standard': invalid subscript 'localUv' at line 77 (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program with DIRECTIONAL SHADOWS_SCREEN LIGHTMAP_ON DIRLIGHTMAP_COMBINED LIGHTMAP_SHADOW_MIXING SHADOWS_SHADOWMASK _WET_NEAR_CAMERA
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP

This custom render path shader needs to have at least 2 passes.
    UnityEngine.Camera:Render()
    PlayWay.Water.WaterCamera:RenderWaterDeferred(RenderTexture, RenderTexture) (at Assets/PlayWay Water BETA/Scripts/WaterCamera.cs:1224)
    PlayWay.Water.WaterCamera:OnRenderImageCallback(RenderTexture, RenderTexture) (at Assets/PlayWay Water BETA/Scripts/WaterCamera.cs:1032)
    PlayWay.Water.WaterCameraIME:OnRenderImage(RenderTexture, RenderTexture) (at Assets/PlayWay Water BETA/Scripts/WaterCameraIME.cs:32)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()​

After opening / importing the "Samples Dependencies"

Assets/Standard Assets/Editor/ImageEffects/CreaseShadingEditor.cs(8,26): error CS0122: `UnityStandardAssets.ImageEffects.CreaseShading' is inaccessible due to its protection level​

6. olavrv

olavrv

Try to delete playway and reimport if you haven't tried this. or delete shader cache. This should fix your issue

7. Curb

Curb

I'm getting this error on a bunch of shaders when importing it in 2017:

Shader error in 'PlayWay Water/Standard': undeclared identifier 'unity_ProbeVolumeParams' at /Program Files/Unity/Unity2017_1_0f3/Editor/Data/CGIncludes/UnityCG.cginc(383) (on d3d11)

It seems to work fine on directx 9, but we need directx 11 for this project. It looks like Unity changed something about unity_ProbeVolumeParams? Anyone know how to fix this?

8. olavrv

olavrv

If you read a few posts above, you will see that zuzzu is working on this - so we are all waiting :)

PS: dx9 is depreciated on windows platform in unity 2017.3 (according to my friend Martin Gram at Unity)

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2017/07/10/deprecating-directx-9/

9. sadicus

sadicus

@olavrvThanks! Looks like it's best to wait for now, to many things to troubleshoot. No pressure zuzzu, your water system is only the best available for unity.
    unity_pwb1.jpg
    unity_PlayWay Water 2.0b10 2.jpg
    Please post an image of what a working version of PlayWay Water 2.0b10 looks like.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  10. sadicus

sadicus

@olavrv that looks great! I updated to Unity 5.6.2p3 and still get errors.
    New project> DX11 + Linear + AA=Disabled+Standard Assets+Post Processing Stack + PlayWay Water 2.0b10
    1) What to do with the "Samples Dependencies.unitypackage" in the PlayWay Folder?
    2) The manual: "Attach CausticLight component to your main directional light." search is not finding it

Shore Demo
    demo scenes don't look correct, is foam_mask.png causing the Terrain to be white?
    unity_PlayWay2.0b10_Shore_Linear1.jpg

there are a few "It's now built in..." ok, so do these scripts need to be removed?
    unity_PlayWay2.0b10_Shore_Linear4.jpg
    ERRORS
    Could not create texture from Assets/PlayWay Water/Textures/Interaction_Mask_interaction_foam_mask.png: File could not be read
    Request error (error):
    UnityEditor.AsyncHTTPClient:Done(State, Int32)

Could not create texture from Assets/PlayWay Water/Textures/Interaction_Mask_interaction_foam_mask.png: File could not be read
    UnityEditor.PopupCallbackInfo:SetEnumValueDelegate(Object, String[], Int32)

11. dk_demodern

dk_demodern

Hi I'm currently using Unity 5.6.2f1 with PlayWay Water 1.1.6 (probably) and I'm also getting shader compilation errors.

Shader error in 'PlayWay Water/Standard': undeclared identifier 'unity_ShadowMask' at /Program Files/Unity 5.6.x/Editor/Data/CGIncludes/UnityShadowLibrary.cginc(170) (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program with DIRECTIONAL SHADOWS_SHADOWMASK _WATER_FRONT
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP

Shader error in 'PlayWay Water/Variations/Water _ALPHABLEND_ON _INCLUDE_SLOPE_VARIANCE _NORMALMAP _PLANAR_REFLECTIONS_HQ _WAVES_FFT': undeclared identifier 'unity_ShadowMask' at /Program Files/Unity 5.6.x/Editor/Data/CGIncludes/UnityShadowLibrary.cginc(170) (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program with DIRECTIONAL SHADOWS_SHADOWMASK _WATER_FRONT _WAVES_FFT

Besides all these undeclared identifier unity_ShadowMask errors I'm also getting unity_WorldToShadow macro redefinition at /Program Files/Unity 5.6.x/Editor/Data/CGIncludes/UnityShaderVariables.cginc(127-129) (on d3d11)

I think it started when I added the Unity Post Processing Stack package, but it hasn't gone away since and it didn't get better in Unity 2017.1.0 (but that seems to be a different problem, that more people are having).

I'm currently working on a VR Experience and would hate to have to use a different water system, as the PlayWay Water really looks best, but I need working water by mid august :(

12. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

Looks great, How did you do the trees?

13. olavrv

olavrv

Thanks! Trees are beta version of Awesome Technologies Vegetation Studio. It was showcased on previous Unite in Amsterdam. Best vegetation system around!

14. PeterB

PeterB

Is it possible to get access to the beta? The tech description and the videos are phenomenal.

15. Teila

Teila

You should go to the forum post for Vegetation Studio and get involved in the discussion. :) Best way to be able to test assets.

olavrv and PeterB like this.
  16. castor76

castor76

I m interested with this asset but I have few questions first.

1. It seems like support is pretty slow and author only comes around every few weeks. Is it still the same?
    2. The asset description says it is based on standard shader, so I would like to know
    a. Does water receive shadow?
    b. Does water get affected by multiple light sources ( point , spot etc )
    c. Does it work in proper unity deferred mode rendering? ( Not using extra forward rendering after the deferred rendering, which is the same as just a normal forward rendering ) I am asking this because I am using deferred mode and don;t want to kill performance by rendering water with 10s of light sources in forward mode.
    3. How good is the performance?
    4. Has it been tested on consoles? (XboxOne,PS4 etc)
    5. Does it even work in 5.6.f2 ?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  17. snacktime

snacktime

Ditto on the above. Last game I worked on that needed water we used Ceto. Struggling to find a good ocean shader now. I'm on 2017.

18. olavrv

olavrv

We also migrated from Ceto when it got closed down. I believe that if the developers of these assets focused on getting the core features working and optimizing, instead of constantly adding features and tailor to to individual users requests, life would be a lot easier for everybody.

Also: Developers release assets way to early on the assetstore, long before they are completed.

19. snacktime

snacktime

Ya I would personally prefer smaller set of features that I know would work. I could care less about all of the 'generic' stuff that basically any developer could do or is easy to find on google. Like a buoyancy or boat controller. Until the core is solid as a rock, let the community fill in the non essential stuff.

As you said, I think it's just too easy to underestimate and authors take on too much.

20. castor76

castor76

I wonder if any current user can answer any of above? It seems like it is going to take very long time before author comes around again. :(

21. castor76

castor76

@olavrv

Hey.

I was wondering if you have tested hydrofoam asset? I am asking because you said you have tested them all, so I wanted to ask if you have tested this asset and the let us know what you think of their comparison. ( in terms of feature and performance )

22. Funkeys

Funkeys

Hi,
    1. Yes it´s just one guy and he is not able to support it full time it seems. But he is pretty fast responding on e-mails.
    2. As far as i understand the code and documentation this asset is dynamically creating a modular water shader set based on the parameters you define in the inspector of the component. The core of this shader set is based on the standard shader.
    a. Yes
    b. I don´t know for sure. I did not had the time to test it yet. Actually to have an idea of the full feature set of the latest beta, you have to read the whole forum thread. And I think that I remember that i did read something about that.
    c. Yes as far as i did tested and for the feature set i am using.
    3. I have tested several ocean assets (Ceto, Suimono) and it´s in the same performance range, but it´s looking far better. The wave simulation actually is awesome!
    4. I don´t know this.
    5. Yes, i currently work with 2017.10f3

Yes that´s also my feeling! I too hope that this asset still gets supported in the future and of course firstly get´s finished.
    After I had a deeper look on Suimono, I think the physics abstraction an calculations are really making PlayWay standing out against other assets.
    I also had a deeper look onto the PlayWay code several times now. And it is really awful. There is no abstraction layer above the shader framework which dynamically creating the shader sets. The function and parameter naming sometimes is very abstract and nearly not documented in the code. But I was able to understand the core functionality.

I am an experienced C# developer, but i am lacking the shade knowledge right now. (Well getting into it ;). I think, in the worst case scenario, with the help of somebody with more shader knowledge, we would be able continue development on this asset.
    At least I think it would be worth and i would be willing to put some effort into it.

Funkeys

23. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

It looks like PlayWay Water 1.1.7 (Jul 25, 2017) just arrived in the unity asset store and the release notes says Unity 2017.1 compatibility.

24. SRGeodan

SRGeodan

Does version 1.1.7 support single pass stereo rendering? How is performance in VR and are all features supported in it? If yes, ill buy it immediately as there is no photorealistic, physics based water system for VR im aware of.

25. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

I have not tried PlayWay Water 1.1.7 I just noticed it was available.

26. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

I saw the 1.1.7 update, but in Unity 5.6.2p4 (on Mac) everything is hot pink. The release notes only mentioned a fix for 2017.1, is 5.6.x to come in another update by any chance?

27. zibas

zibas

Fixed in the latest update. Thanks!

28. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

Does 1.1.7 include everything in the last beta drop?

29. zibas

zibas

No. From what I could tell from a quick scan of the diff, it was just fixing a problem with light proxy volumes.

(To be clear I was replying to my request for a fix that got magically/silently fulfilled. I did not intend to sound as if I were the one who fixed it)

30. dk_demodern

dk_demodern

I upgraded to Unity 2017.1.0f3 and PlayWay Water 1.1.7 for my "undeclared identifier" problem, but it still doesn't fix the errors that I'm getting.

What I did notice was that if I launched a demo scene (or a blank scene and created a new ocean asset) then the shaders would compile correctly.

This goes so far that I can then make a prefab out of the newly created ocean asset and add it to my main scene and it will work. But as soon as I change anything and the system rebuilds the shaders it breaks again. This leads me to believe that I'm using some settings in my scene which brakes the PlayWay Water system.

I'll test around to see if I can find the culprit...

31. snacktime

snacktime

so I found the issue with undeclared identifier 'unity_ShadowMask'. Playway is calling UnitySampleBakedOcclusion which is a unity helper method, when it's not supposed to. So if you are using mixed lighting with shadowmask, you get this. One fix is to enable ambient Occlusion under lightmapping settings.

Not the correct fix but works for now.

32. snacktime

snacktime

So just picked this up last night. Overall I like it. Much more realistic waves then HydroForm without the tiling issues. Just overall a much deeper system. Code looks fairly clean. Shaders well organized.

While I understand the future of the product is up in the air, the fact is there are just no other good options out there really. And for a professional studio, something like this even if it's discontinued, if we have the source, can probably continue to work for us through the life of the current major unity version.

One suggestion to the author. Drop the price of this in half or so. I'm guessing that a big part of the decision about whether to continue this will be based on how much money it makes. And it's just not in a good price range for something on the asset store. I would bet you would triple your sales by dropping it to say sub $60 or so.

Leoo, f1ac, John-G and 1 other person like this.
  33. snacktime

snacktime

Anyone have code that just gets the height of the waves at a position? The playway buoyancy stuff is isn't that great, our own works much better under all different wave conditions. I see basically how to get at it, was just hoping someone had already abstracted it out cleanly?

34. olavrv

olavrv

We use the realistic water physics asset for buoyancy, and it works excellent with playway. This asset has also been handed over to a new developer, but have not tested this new version yet. The new author says he has rewritten the code...

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/67637

35. olavrv

olavrv

Just out of curiosity, I am on holliday and havent tested latest version on assetstore; does this version have all the features of the beta, or is it just a version of the previous version on the assetstore working on unity 2017?

36. mz2021

mz2021

It is missing a lot of the features of the Beta.

37. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

No problems here with the latest beta and Unity2017.1.

olavrv likes this.
  38. snacktime

snacktime

So what is the trick to get per scene shader variants? I moved the shader variants for one scene profile, and they are sticking. But I have another scene profile where I moved those also out of the playway folder. But playway is removing the shader references from that profile and resetting them to new ones it creates in the playway folder.

It seems to like to delete the variants at odd times, usually when saving the scene but not necessarily when anything that would impact the water has changed. Like just dragging in a model and hitting save can trigger it.

39. Koara92

Koara92

Does the WaterVolumeSubtract work for anybody in the latest beta in Unity 5.6.0? I can't seem to get it working at all.

It would have been really nice to have a demo scene showcasing the water volume subtraction, but unfortunately there isn't one. The documentation doesn't have a very well explained section on subtraction volumes either, which doesn't help.

I have tried to set it up with a ship that utilizes the the Water Physics, but that doesn't work. Not only does the water volume subtraction not work, it also breaks the Water Physics because the water volume subtraction needs the collider to be trigger, while the water physics won't work with it as a trigger collider. Seems a bit counter-intuitive that these two components don't play well together...

So after that I tried it with just a simple boat from the Shore demo scene. I wanted to see if I could get it to work without the Water Physics first. This still did not work.

Has anybody had any luck with the WaterVolumeSubtract component in any of the recent unity versions? I don't really want to upgrade my unity versions, but if I have to, I will.

Thanks in advance.

40. snacktime

snacktime

Hmm, he ripped off the community buoyancy script, took out the credits to the original author. Hate it when people do that.

olavrv likes this.
  41. Drowning-Monkeys

Drowning-Monkeys

damn dude, looks good

olavrv likes this.
  42. oliran

oliran

Was working fine on 2017.1 until I updated to the latest version. I removed the old version, imported the new one. Now looks horrible with single-pass VR. Luckily I kept a backup of the older version...

Attached Files:

43. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

Yeah, glad someone else brought that up. I noticed that waaaay back in the beginning when he wrote it for Ceto.

44. PeterB

PeterB

I'm on a Mac, and WaterVolumeSubtract has never worked on that platform. Neither has foam or water shadowing.

45. BLUESurfer-MONSTER

BLUESurfer-MONSTER

Guys, anyone has the caustics working? I'm changing the shader to deferred and everything I've readed here but the caustics doesn't work. :(

Any ideas?

46. Koara92

Koara92

Hey again,

I recently commented on how the WaterVolumeSubtract does not work in the latest beta. After working with this asset's most recent beta for a little while, I noticed it wasn't only the WaterVolumeSubtract that had issues.

The buoyancy for the WaterPhysics and WaterFloat classes do not accurately reflect the waves, and there is occasional jittering where the objects would occasionally fly all over the place, and then teleport to their presumed wave location.

The weirdest part about this, is that they function and perform perfectly in the assetstore version of this water system. I would revert to this older version, but unfortunately the performance is atrocious compared to the newer beta versions. I would much rather take the performance benefits than have a few missing features.

Unfortunately however, these aren't just a few missing features. These are core features that were advertised as functional and are not in the most recent beta. Note: I understand that this is a beta version. However, I would be willing to bet that a large amount of people bought this asset based on the changes, and promising future that the beta held. I for one, did exactly that.

I understand that @zuzzu may have been going through some tough times earlier, and may still be doing so, and I am as sympathetic as the next person here. We all have our troubles, and I hope that you work/have worked through them and are all good and well. However, with @zuzzu's sudden plan to exit this asset, it does not leave me with much hope for the future of this asset.

In the best of cases, I would have hoped that @zuzzu would be more open and communicative with this community of people who closely follow and rely on his asset for their projects. However, like I mentioned earlier, I would not be so quick and dismissive of that fact due to possible ongoing life issues, which I sympathize over.

I do ask that, at the very least, the features that were initially promised in the original assetstore version be fixed and work in the newest beta. I have been following the beta closely for a while now, seeing new features being added and everything. I do not expect that to continue much longer, at least until a possible team comes and continues this asset. I do expect and hope that @zuzzu will at least take the time to fix the major features that have currently been broken with the beta. The water buoyancy and water volume subtract were the key main features that sold me on this asset, and I would hope they get restored and function in the near future.

Thanks, and have a nice day.
    Matthew

mz2021, PeterB and ftejada like this.
  47. Coalex

Coalex

So I now have the beta version of this asset which is supposed to have improvements for VR. Unfortunately I am still having frame rate issues. Turning on this asset consistently halves the frame rate regardless of how low I set the water quality settings. Is anyone else using this asset with VR? Have you got it worling nicely?

Cheers,
    Alex

mz2021 likes this.
  48. olavrv

olavrv

We use it for VR. It is very GPU taxing in general, which really creates issues for VR, which require a lot of GPU capacity.

@zuzzu is it possible to move some of the load from GPU to CPU (perhaps as a toggle option) to make it possible to facilitate individual user needs?

49. HeroCraftAssets

HeroCraftAssets

Hello! I know that mobile support is beta, but what "beta" actually means? I tried to make simple scene by your manual for iPad Air. It works fine in editor, but on iPad, I see only static water (without waves) and many errors in divece's log, for example:

Invalid pass number (3) for Graphics.Blit (Material "PlayWay Water/Spectrum/Water Spectrum" with 1 passes)
    UnityEngine.Graphics:Internal_BlitMaterial(Texture, RenderTexture, Material, Int32, Boolean)
    UnityEngine.Graphics:Blit(Texture, RenderTexture, Material, Int32)
    PlayWay.Water.SpectrumResolver:RenderDirectionalSpectrum()
    PlayWay.Water.SpectrumResolver:GetRawDirectionalSpectrum()
    PlayWay.Water.SpectrumResolver:RenderCompleteSpectraAt(Single, Texture&, Texture&, Texture&)
    PlayWay.Water.WavesRendererFFT:RenderSpectra(Texture&, Texture&, Texture&)
    PlayWay.Water.WavesRendererFFT:ValidateWaveMaps()
    PlayWay.Water.WavesRendererFFT:OnWaterRender(Camera)
    PlayWay.Water.WindWaves:OnWaterRender(Camera)
    PlayWay.Water.Water:OnWaterRender(Camera)
    PlayWay.Water.Water:OnWaterRender(Camera)
    PlayWay.Water.WaterRenderer:Render(Camera, WaterGeometryType)
    PlayWay.Water.WaterCamera:RenderWater()
    PlayWay.Water.WaterCamera:OnPreCull()
    System.Linq.SortContext`1:Initialize(TElement[])

[ line 731]
    (Filename: Line: 731)

I expected at least some work on mobile...

50. olavrv

olavrv

We get absolutely no performance gain with singlepass rendering using playway water. Can someone please confirm if this is just in our case?

I will really appriciate it!

PS: We are using Oculus Rift CV1 integration in Unity. Have tried in Unity 5.6 up to latest Unity 2017 patch...

mmaclaurin likes this.