Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

PlayWay Water - high quality water system

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by zuzzu, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Aress28

Aress28

is there any update planed to playwater system?if yes when?

2. ftejada

ftejada

Hi @zuzzu !!

I am testing the last beta that you uploaded and I see that there are aspects that now do not work regarding the version of the asset store.

I mean specifically spray on the crest of the wave. In the stable version, the spray foam looked real and nice. Following for a few seconds the movement of the crest of the wave. And it seemed that the foam was a lot of particles.

Now in the Beta versions and specifically in the latter, the spray foam is not seen because they appear under the waves. The movement of the foam now only falls from where it is generated downwards without following the movement of the crest of the wave as it does in the stable version of the store. And it also seems less real since the particles generated by the spray, look like textures billboards looking towards the camera forever. Before, it looked a lot more real.

I do not know if I do something wrong when configuring it. I leave video to see the problem with the spray and how it is generated only under the waves.

On the other hand, how can you have the spray foam as it is in the stable version of the asset store? In that version it looks much more real

regards

3. JonasPersson

JonasPersson

cfantauzzo likes this.
  4. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

When you click on the icon for it you should see an info icon on top of it. You can select that to see when it was last updated/modified to see if it is the latest. Also, is that a link to the actual file you have in your page? I am not sure if someone could get the paid asset from that so you may want to remove that link from the text.

5. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

Hello! Playway doesn't seem to work properly after upgrading to Unity 5.6.1. I'm getting the following error every frame:

UnityException: Failed to create texture because of invalid parameters.
    UnityEngine.Texture2D..ctor (Int32 width, Int32 height, TextureFormat format, Boolean mipmap, Boolean linear) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/TextureBindings.gen.cs:150)
    PlayWay.Water.GpuFFT.CreateButterflyTexture () (at Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/Spectra/FFT/GpuFFT.cs:100)
    PlayWay.Water.GpuFFT.CreateTextures () (at Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/Spectra/FFT/GpuFFT.cs:57)
    PlayWay.Water.GpuFFT..ctor (Int32 resolution, Boolean highPrecision, Boolean twoChannels, Boolean usesUAV) (at Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/Spectra/FFT/GpuFFT.cs:30)
    PlayWay.Water.Dx11FFT..ctor (UnityEngine.ComputeShader shader, Int32 resolution, Boolean highPrecision, Boolean twoChannels) (at Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/Spectra/FFT/Dx11FFT.cs:13)
    PlayWay.Water.WavesRendererFFT.ChooseBestFFTAlgorithm (Boolean twoChannels) (at Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/WindWaves/WavesRendererFFT.cs:333)
    PlayWay.Water.WavesRendererFFT.ValidateFFT (PlayWay.Water.GpuFFT& fft, Boolean present, Boolean twoChannels) (at Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/WindWaves/WavesRendererFFT.cs:316)
    PlayWay.Water.WavesRendererFFT.ValidateResources () (at Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/WindWaves/WavesRendererFFT.cs:172)
    PlayWay.Water.WavesRendererFFT.set_RenderedMaps (MapType value) (at Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/WindWaves/WavesRendererFFT.cs:120)
    PlayWay.Water.WindWaves.ResolveFinalSettings (WaterQualityLevel quality) (at Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/WindWaves/WindWaves.cs:398)
    PlayWay.Water.WindWaves.BuildShaderVariant (.ShaderVariant variant, PlayWay.Water.Water water, WaterQualityLevel qualityLevel) (at Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/WindWaves/WindWaves.cs:568)
    PlayWay.Water.Water.BuildShaderVariant (.ShaderVariant variant, WaterQualityLevel qualityLevel) (at Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/Water.cs:1145)
    PlayWay.Water.Water.SetupMaterials () (at Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/Water.cs:678)
    PlayWay.Water.Water.Update () (at Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/Water.cs:997)

Is this fixed in the beta version? Do I get the beta version by sending a request to this email: help@playway.com? I tried sending a request to that email before, but I didn't get a reply.
    Thank you.

Lohrion likes this.
  6. Lohrion

Lohrion

I have the same problem. A fix for that would be nice @zuzzu , as downgrading is rather uncomfortable :)

Ruben_Chris likes this.
  7. Fabbs

Fabbs

Hello, im interested in buying, Does it work on 5.6.1 or not?

8. Lohrion

Lohrion

Importing it into a fresh project on 5.6.1 works somehow - though I have problems in projects I updated to 5.6.1 (both, where Playway was already imported and where Playway was imported after the update)

9. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

Now a bit over a month since this news - do we have an update?

Playway is 98% of what I need, but that last 2% - mainly bugs - is critical. Is help still just around the corner?

SirTwistedStorm likes this.
  10. skaughtx0r

skaughtx0r

How do I get a link to the latest beta? The one I was given a while back is only for 2.0b4.5, I've tried messaging @zuzzu and emailing PlayWay support, but no responses.

11. nerdsarewinning

nerdsarewinning

I think developer is not busy with this plugin, check: https://www.youtube.com/user/ThePlayWay/videos (order by date)

Asset is good but without support, its useless. We are switching to another asset cause of Foam error and last 2% part as @mmaclaurin mentioned.

Maybe we should all review this asset as 1 star for attention? Couse nobody is gonna hear otherwise.

12. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

I've still got some patience left. Not really any competition as high quality as this one. Zuzzu does show up every few weeks and give an update.

13. Corby-Interactive

Corby-Interactive

Hi @zuzzu,

i need Water Physics to dynamically react to center of mass height variations. How can I achieve this? I have to simulate a failure in the boat stabilizer without changing sea conditions.

14. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

Hmm. I had problems straight after upgrading to 5.6.1, but it worked if I reimported the asset WITHOUT deleting the old files. Not sure why this happend, but it's working now

15. zuzzu

zuzzu

That ownership change is still in progress. Thank you very much for the patience so far. Legal matters should be over soon, but they still have some work ahead, if I understand that part correctly.

In the meantime, I will probably upload another beta update soon that will introduce dramatic increase in performance when spectrum looping is enabled. I will notify you here when that's done.

I still have to ask you for the patience about the limited communication. I have other projects going on and don't have any bad intentions in that matter. All beta requests and important support requests please send directly on my personal e-mail. It's on a page 4 of the documentation.

electric_jesus and elbows like this.
  16. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Thx for the info zuzzu, can you add an example scene with included stern waves in the new beta version?

17. Coalex

Coalex

Hi There,

We are wanting to use this water system in VR and have run into an issue when we scale the player during runtime. In one eye the shadows scale with the player, and in the other eye, shadows do not. any help with this would be much appreciated as your asset has immediately made our project look a lot nicer.

Cheers,

Alex

18. Cheef

Cheef

Hi.

I already PM'd zuzzu, but now after reading these news of ownership switch maybe it's useful to ask from here too..

We are in the middle of making a VR project. We have been using the playway water, just because it's so darn nice. Now I am getting a crash when I build the project. I'm not exactly sure what should I look for from the crash logs, but the output_log.txt reads this:

(Filename: Line: 381)
    The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'PlayWay Water Spectrum Sampler') is missing!
    (Filename: Line: 1754)
    Crash!!!

Using playway water is not an absolute must, so I deleted the plugin from the project and tried again. Still with the same output. Even deleted the library folder and re-imported everything, with the same crash.

There is no such object as 'PlayWay Water Spectrum Sampler' in my hierarchy..?! Does anyone have any idea what is causing this error/crash?

Thanks

19. olavrv

olavrv

In VR singlepass rendering, we get a continous error messages when camera gets close -and below water surface.

The errormessage is:

Assertion failed on expression: 'entry->m_Rect.width == width'

Can anyone help us to resolve this issue?

20. Aubrey-Falconer

Aubrey-Falconer

Is anyone else seeing a view-angle-dependent rectangular highlight in infinite oceans? It is visible in all my scenes, from above and below the waterline, even with the water set to simplest settings and with all fx disabled. Reflection probes/skybox reflection related settings have no effect on its visibility. It moves erratically with the camera angle but always tends to face the world origin.

upload_2017-7-3_11-51-44.png
    upload_2017-7-3_11-50-36.png

21. zuzzu

zuzzu

I will post an announcement regarding the future of PlayWay Water System next week, as soon as final decisions will be made. I strongly advise everybody to hold with the purchase until that happens.

Version 2.0b10 will be available for download in a few hours. Changelog:
    - Feature: Spectrum looping feature is now complete as water maps are now fully cached on the CPU in addition to GPU. It means that, if you use caching, FFT thread won't have anything to do. It may noticeably contribute to FPS stability and physics performance. Water samplers are really cheap with enabled looping as thread locks don't occur that frequently.
    - Fix: Changes to spectrum resolution at runtime no longer cause an exception when spectrum looping enabled.
    - VR: Single pass stereo rendering buffer resolution is now more precisely deduced for unusual resolutions.
    - VR: Single pass stereo rendering checkbox on WaterCamera was removed. It's determined automatically from now on.
    - Physics: Major water maps sampling optimizations.
    - API: Water maps sampling API has been simplified. Old methods are still available.
    - Other minor fixes.

Yours,
    zuzzu

22. zuzzu

zuzzu

Unity assertions are always pretty puzzling ;) It's very hard to say what is causing this, but you may try to set this property to 0. It may help.

upload_2017-7-4_22-19-9.png

Can you send me a reproduction project? That's indeed pretty weird. Is that the latest beta?

I think that these two log entries are unrelated as the first one is a common warning when a reference set in inspector becomes invalid for some reason. You may need to delete parts of the project one by one to determine what is the final cause here.

23. olavrv

olavrv

I hope the asset will be continued developed in one way or another, because it is a really nice solution - the best one available for Unity (and I have tested them all)

24. D3m0nProwl3r

D3m0nProwl3r

Hi

I am a big fan of your asset and have been trying to use it in conjunction with the DeepSky Haze asset. I am having issues implementing DeepSky into the Vert and Frag shaders. I currently get the following results:

Please see the following image for the DeepSky Documentation on how to implement the shaders:
    https://s23.postimg.org/m8xfhpaob/Example.png

The difficulty I am having is because of the way Playway Water is structured in passes, would you be able to offer any advice on implementing a solution?

25. Aubrey-Falconer

Aubrey-Falconer

@zuzzu Re: rectangular highlight - problem solved! As it turns out, this was caused by a point light present in each of the scenes I was testing. I am not sure why a point light was causing a rectangular bright spot in PlayWay's water surface, but removing the water layer from each light source's culling mask has solved the problem.

@D3m0nProwl3r Cheers mate! I'm using DeepSky and PlayWay together with great success. Make sure you are using the latest beta, and set your water camera script's Render Mode to "Image Effect Forward". No shader updates necessary.

26. Harekelas

Harekelas

Hi~I'm wondering where can I download the new beta version of playway water, will it be available on Unity Asset Store??

27. superjayman

superjayman

Has anyone been able to get the Caustics working with the new beta? (In Forward Render Mode?)

28. emrys90

emrys90

@zuzzu Does the new beta fix this shader error?

Shader error in 'Hidden/PlayWay Water-Internal-DeferredShading': undeclared identifier 'UnityObjectToClipPos' at line 299 (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING SHADER_API_DESKTOP

29. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Hi zuzzu,

unfortunately, the newest beta doesn't work for me. I get the following errors.

I tried also to rebuild the water shaders.

30. zuzzu

zuzzu

Sorry about that, I will send a fix in a few hours. Use non-zero Loop Duration on water component as a temporary workaround.

Edit: It's online.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    GuinUK, iddqd and Bartolomeus755 like this.
  31. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

32. david55527

david55527

Just bought this and would like beta access. Sent you a PM with my invoice number. Thanks!

33. GuinUK

GuinUK

As in the beta or going live on the asset store??

34. emrys90

emrys90

@zuzzu Can you provide any info on the shader error I am receiving, please? It's affecting my development.

Also, I tried the newest beta, and can no longer build the project due to WaterCamera accessing the UnityEditor namespace outside of an Editor folder.

GuinUK likes this.
  35. GuinUK

GuinUK

I'm having the same / similar issue

Could not create texture from Assets/PlayWay Water/Textures/Interaction_Mask_interaction_foam_mask.png: File could not be read
    UnityEditor.EditorUserBuildSettings:set_selectedStandaloneTarget(BuildTarget)
    DesktopStandaloneBuildWindowExtension:ShowPlatformBuildOptions() (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/DesktopStandaloneBuildWindow.cs:155)
    UnityEditor.PopupCallbackInfo:SetEnumValueDelegate(Object, String[], Int32)

Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/WaterCamera.cs(3,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UnityEditor' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

36. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

I tried downloading the latest, but it's exactly the same file size as b9. This is using the "PlayWay Water 2.0 Latest Beta" download link.

37. Harekelas

Harekelas

Hey guys, anyone is using playway beta version can tell me how to get the beta version? I've sent PM TO Zuzzu with my order number but no response, how do you guys make contact with him? Thanks!

38. sadicus

sadicus

39. D3m0nProwl3r

D3m0nProwl3r

I have sent an email to obtain beta access a couple of days ago, I am awaiting a reply so i'll have to wait until then to resolve the issue. Thank you for clearing things up for me.

40. GuinUK

GuinUK

He's busy but does tend to check every few days or so.
    Hoping he realises there is a compiler error and puts another patch up

41. zuzzu

zuzzu

It seems that API Updater added a method usage that wasn't included in the shader code. I can't explain why you were the only one experiencing this issue, that should affect everyone.

Either way, I'm uploading another fix that will fix both this and UnityEditor issue. That will take a few hours at least, I will let you know here when that's done.

42. GuinUK

GuinUK

Thanks Zuzzu - it must be really annoying fixing bugs brought about by Unity every 2 minutes

43. zuzzu

zuzzu

It's fine, that was my omission actually. Fixed version is now online.

GuinUK and Bartolomeus755 like this.
  44. skaughtx0r

skaughtx0r

Hey zuzzu, I've found that if I check "Boundless" on the water to get the Underwater IME to work, it cuts my framerate in half. I tried to do a little digging and it seems like in WaterCamera the submersionState is always getting set to Partial and never changes to None.

Also, is it possible for the Water.GetHeight() function to include the height of waves generated by the ShipBowWavesEmitter?

45. JonasPersson

JonasPersson

Hi!

I downloaded the latest beta, it works nice in the editor but i cant build anymore, The errorlog shows these errors:

"
    Shader compiler: internal error compiling shader snippet type=1 platform=1: Protocol error - failed to read correct magic number

Shader compiler: internal error compiling shader snippet type=1 platform=1: Protocol error - failed to read correct magic number
    UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow:BuildPlayerAndRun()

Shader compiler: internal error compiling shader snippet type=1 platform=1: Failed writing data to socket

Shader error in 'PlayWay Water/Refraction/Collect Light': Internal error communicating with the shader compiler process

Shader error in 'PlayWay Water/Refraction/Collect Light': Failed to find parameters of a compiled D3D9 shader (on d3d9)

Compiling Fragment program with DIRECTIONAL SHADOWS_SCREEN
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP

Error building Player: 2 errors
    "
    I tried to remove playway water and then i could build, so it probably has to do with the asset.

Thank You!

46. JonasPersson

JonasPersson

Hi!
    I have a request for an improvement :)

I would really like to have fog in the planar reflections

but from what i red it might be tricky to achieve...

if so
    A cheaper version of this would be to just fade away the planar reflection the further away you get from the player( a parameter in the water profile), i think it would give a similar result, since the reflected sky and the fog are often similar in color.

47. BLUESurfer-MONSTER

BLUESurfer-MONSTER

Hi guys I'm receiving constantly this error message in the console (+999)

"Destroy may not be called from edit mode! Use DestroyImmediate instead.
    Also think twice if you really want to destroy something in edit mode. Since this will destroy objects permanently.
    UnityEngine.Object:Destroy(Object)
    PlayWay.Water.WaterCameraIME:OnRenderImage(RenderTexture, RenderTexture) (at Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/WaterCameraIME.cs:25)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)"

Any idea on how to solve it?

:( thanks!

48. zibas

zibas

Am I crazy or did something Unity did between 2017.1.0b10 and 2017.1.0f3 break playway water?

Shader error in 'PlayWay Water/Standard': undeclared identifier 'unity_ProbeVolumeParams' at /Program Files/Unity 2017.1.0f3/Editor/Data/CGIncludes/UnityCG.cginc(383) (on d3d11)

49. web76

web76

I also has some issues with the 2017.1.0 f3 version... with the non beta version and also the beta version...
    btw what is the latest beta version?

50. MarcopoloR

MarcopoloR

Wasn't he supposed to make some big announcement last week about the changeover? Last week came and went and I am getting nervous. Also because the latest beta I have does not work at all with the latest version of Unity 2017.

ftejada likes this.