Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

PlayWay Water - high quality water system

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by zuzzu, Oct 9, 2015.

1. zuzzu

zuzzu

That's true, I could do that part better. That was a big part of my initial goals, but they had to change very quickly. Last year turned out to be a very dynamic period for Unity and considering scope of this asset it was frequently being broken by the underlying engine changes (which were always good, don't get me wrong).

Documentation will hopefully be improved in the future. Beta version has a far cleaner code and may help you with your goals in a short term.

Funkeys and jayty90 like this.
  2. ftejada

ftejada

Hi @zuzzu !!

Am I really crossing the line? I'm surprised you say that ... and I'm very sorry for this situation, but I think I have not lied at any time and I've only said what happened.

I do not want to enter into this type of comment, so for my part I will not mention it again. I do not think this is the right channel for these kinds of crosses of opinions. And I do not think we can agree on what has happened, Because you see it from your perspective and I from mine

On the other hand, of course I want your help and information. I have asked you several times (information and problems).

If you want to give it to me I will be delighted. If not then I'll have to put up with it. I can not do more. Except request reimbursement again. Although I do not really want the refund, I want your help to make the asset work properly.

I wait for your response to know what you are going to do

regards

3. ftejada

ftejada

Hi

I have already solved the problem of Water spray. It's because my camera did not have the MainCamera tag.
    If the camera does not have that tag will not work the water spray of the ridge of the waves.

Regarding the problem of lighting I have already figured out the problem thanks to @_7stars (creator of Azure Sky) ...
    It only happens when PlayWay Water runs with DirectX11. Running it with DirectX9 does not generate the lighting problem.

The problem occurs when the intensity value of the directional light is less than 0.001f. So as mentioned @wood333 you have to leave a light at all times with a minimum value of 0.001f.

I do not know if it will have an easy solution because DirectX9 is perfect.

regards

hopeful likes this.
  4. zuzzu

zuzzu

Have you tried beta releases? That bug should be fixed in them, unless it's something different.

I will take a look at the HDR reflections issue that you have reported earlier and get back to you in a day or two.

5. Funkeys

Funkeys

Hello,
    i had a short look over the latest beta last night. And i have to say that i do like the changes very much :)!
    I did not had the time to have a look on the code, but it seems component vise it´s more structured now.
    I feel that the wave calculations (WaterSample) are improved significantly in precision. Also the overall performance is improved quite a lot.
    The bow wave emitter is great! Small stroke of a genius ;).
    Well it seems the Advanced Emission Positioning is not working for me. Could not find out why so far.
    Also when i attach my own particle systems to the WaterShip Spray Emitters, it stops working.
    And it seems the water shadows are not working in the latest beta, had no time to test it on the version b8.

But overall it is looking very fine so far :)

PS: updating was a pain, automatic update threw null reference exceptions, had to remove all old scripts manual, delete the complete PlayWay folder, and rebuild everything after importing the latest beta.
    I forgot: I liked the water spray in 1.1.6 more. seems to partial now, not covering the wave edge which is braking anymore.

br
    Funkeys

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  6. ftejada

ftejada

Hi @zuzzu !!

The problem and the solution I gave in my previous message occurred in the last stable version of PlayWayWater. Not in the Beta.
    Reviewing the initial post where I exposed the two problems for the first time, I saw that I got confused when I wrote and said it was in the last beta of PlayWayWater. But it's not like that.

That said tonight I have put with a new project and I think it is the latest Beta version of your asset. Unity version 5.6.0f3
    The project is empty. I have only imported the Beta and Standard assets Unity.

At the moment I have not created any scene of my own and I'm watching the scenes that you have as an example. Unchanged

I have encountered some problem and some doubts that I would love for you to solve me as soon as I can.

In the "Shore" scene I have a problem when the camera changes the inclination of vision. The water seems to lose the ripples and becomes flatter when we look down with the camera.
    I leave video so you know what I mean:

On the other hand, As you know I am very interested in this new characteristic of the waves breaking on the shore. But I have several doubts on how to use it correctly.
    I have looked at the documentation that comes in Beta but I have not seen any reference how to use it.

By the tests that I have done I believe that the component that is in charge of generating those waves is the "WaveParticleSystem". But when I modify its parameters in real time I do not appreciate any change in the waves.

What components control the waves breaking on the shore? How can I make these waves bigger on the global Y axis? Because they look too flat most of the time

I have seen in the GameObject "Waves Emitter" has the component "ComplexWavesEmitter" ... Is this script also related to the generation of waves on the shore? Is that I have tried to change their parameters in real time and I do not see any changes in the waves ... Also seen the "StaticWaterIteraction" and the "WettableSurface" that come on the terrain.
    But I have very clear to serve exactly as used when queira a scene from scratch

Could you explain how it works? I would appreciate it very much.

I have also tried the "Weather" scene and the Water does not seem to look good. The same I am wrong, but it seems to me that the Spray is not working either.

The camera has the tag "MainCamera" and I have not touched any parameter of the scenes.
    I leave you video:

Concerning the lighting problem With DirectX11 that I posted, I will do more tests, but I think it is solved with the Beta version

Greetings and thanks for replying

7. wood333

wood333

I've seen this before in other water assets. The reason is that the waves are visual (shader) and not physical (mesh). They just look like waves, but when you get low, you can see they are visual and flat. If I face this problem in my final game release, I plan to limit my player main camera to a reasonable height that maintains the visual effect.

Hope this helps.

ftejada likes this.
  8. magique

magique

The video says this works with all image effects, but I just want to verify whether or not it renders correctly with Unity's GlobalFog. I have several other water assets and none of them can handle that.

Also, is tessellation required or can that feature be turned off if my system doesn't support it?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

9. Funkeys

Funkeys

Hi,
    if you have a look into this post
    [RELEASED] Enviro - Dynamic Environments (Dynamic Sky and Weather System)
    you can see two images. That´s playway water with Enviro. Enviro is using Unity Global Fog + an additional shader image effect as far as i know. The pics are made in deferred rendering mode with exponential fog.

10. magique

magique

I need a more definitive answer. Exponential fog is not a GlobalFog setting so it sounds like you are talking about the fog settings in the Lighting tab. Plus I don't use Deferred rendering.

11. Funkeys

Funkeys

yes it is the fog setting in the lighting tab. Thought that´s global fog.
    Can you tell me in short words what global fog is?

The guy supporting this asset was offline for a month before yesterday, so i hope yo will get a more precise answer soon.

12. magique

magique

It's an image effect provided by Unity in standard assets. It's a script called GlobalFog.cs and you attach to the camera.

13. ftejada

ftejada

Hi @wood333!!

Maybe using a technique like this video could be able to make waves higher.

Because the ones that go out in the example scene of PlayWay Water are appreciated when the sea is calm enough. As soon as you put a sea with more waves, the waves that break on the shore almost do not visible

Regards

14. wood333

wood333

That's a clever way around the cost of physical waves. Just use a few on a calm sea, then fade them out on rough water. Thanks for sharing the vid.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  15. reelie

reelie

Hello friends,

I'm currently exploring the beta features in the wish of being able to use and make bow waves properly. Unfortunately, I was not able to get them working. Since some of you seems to have made use of them, I'm asking you some help so you could rescue me in my bow waves setup and tell me what I am doing wrong.

I managed to add the Wave Particle System GPU script to the Ocean, since it seems to be the only place it can goes without getting some errors (it needs a parent Water Component).

Then, I tried putting the Ship Bow Waves Emitter on the default Galleon without success. I also tried to put it on the Ocean as well, next to the GPU script.

In every cases, I was using these parameters in my scripts. They are the default values, excepting Foam Texture, Foam Overlay Texture, Gpu Particle System and Ship Collider.
    Capture.PNG

Lastly, I was not able to get rid of these errors. That should be the cause of my problem, isn't it?
    Capture2.PNG

I hope my explanations are clear enough.
    Many thanks!
    -Reelie

16. Funkeys

Funkeys

Hi,
    you need a third script called PlayWayWaterShip attached to your ship (RigedBody, its taking the velocity from it) then i have the ShipBowWaveEmitter attached to an empty gameobject which is child of my ship. So you can adjust the position a bit.
    The PlayWayWaterShip needs a reference to the ShipBowWaveEmitter and the BowWaveEmitter script itself needs a reference to the WaveParticlesSystemGPU attached to the ocean.
    You then can attach your own unity Particle systems to the WaterShip´s SprayParticles array either. But this works not out very well out of the box, because the particles do not stay on the surface. I am right now testing around with my own script which is keeping the particles on the surface, but i find it a bit hard to adjust because the WaterShip script is controlling the emission and velocity and so i found no way changing the ParticleSystem parameters at runtime.

hope that helps

17. Fraconte

Fraconte

Try putting the Wave Particle System GPU script in the Water object.

18. reelie

reelie

Thank you! It was the solution! :)

Funkeys likes this.
  19. Funkeys

Funkeys

could really be done more intuitive ;)

20. zuzzu

zuzzu

Version 2.0b9 will be available for download tomorrow. Changelog:
    - Spectrum looping is now fully supported by shaders and by scripting.
    - Scene deferred shader attenuates lights under water.
    - Surface particles are now sharper and less prone to sampling artifacts.
    - Caustics are now properly aligned to camera movements.
    - Edge blending and refraction distortion is now fully supported by deferred water.
    - StaticWaterInteraction shore effect can be scaled (I forgot to add this property to editor, temporarily it's accessible through scripting and debug inspector).
    - Optional deferred shaders now compile correctly.
    - Planar reflection fixes for VR.
    - Ortographic projection fixes.
    - Initial implementation for contact foam in DynamicWaterInteraction.
    - WaterAsynchronousTask won't be duplicated by additive loading of multiple scenes with water.
    - Many more small fixes.

I'm sorry, the only implementation of shore waves was an experiment and it's currently deprecated. That's too raw physical approach and while it produces nice results, setup is far too hard. It currently needs to be rewritten in a simpler manner for the GPU particle system.

You may get the results that you are looking for by using Unity's particle system with WaterSurfaceOverlayRenderer, but that will require manual tweaking. Sample shaders for surface particles are at "PlayWay Water/Shaders/Particles".

GuinUK, Fraconte, ftejada and 3 others like this.
  21. EricL

EricL

When can we expect a beta update? PlayWay is in need of an update. Would not recommend anyone download until development continues.

22. ftejada

ftejada

Hi!!!

Already the new beta 2.0b9 to download? Is that the one that I download is a call 2.0 Lasted Beta. But I do not know if it is the version I already have or the last one said zuzzu 2.0b9

regards

23. Funkeys

Funkeys

Hi,
    it´s the link to the latest beta, if you go on details you see that it has changed yesterday 23:45

ftejada likes this.
  24. ftejada

ftejada

25. olavrv

olavrv

We are using Time of Day (TOD) and Playway water, two excellent systems!

When using single pass rendering mode (VR), each system works excellent - but together they do not work very well.

Any tips on how to fix this issue, or what could be causing it? It seems like it has to do with the renderque - but not sure (since playway water is drawn last from my understanding).

26. zuzzu

zuzzu

I'm aware of one incompatibility with Time of Day that occurs on regular platforms too, possibly it's something that is more apparent in VR. By default TOD clouds won't be refracted correctly and won't fade when observed from underwater.

To fix this, open Cloud Layer.shader and edit line specifying queue like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. "Queue"="Geometry+430"
    If that's something different, I will need a screenshot to see what happens.

27. zmaxz

zmaxz

Unity5.5.0f3 PlayWay Version 2.0b9
    Got errors :
    Assets\PlayWay Water\Scripts\Dynamic\DynamicWaterInteraction.cs(146,19): error CS1061: 'CommandBuffer' does not contain a definition for 'SetViewProjectionMatrices' and no extension method 'SetViewProjectionMatrices' accepting a first argument of type 'CommandBuffer' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets\PlayWay Water\Scripts\Dynamic\DynamicWaterInteraction.cs(158,19): error CS1061: 'CommandBuffer' does not contain a definition for 'SetViewProjectionMatrices' and no extension method 'SetViewProjectionMatrices' accepting a first argument of type 'CommandBuffer' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

28. zuzzu

zuzzu

Thank you for a report. I will upload a minor update today that will fix this problem.

Temporarily you can use a fix attached to this post.

Attached Files:

GuinUK likes this.
  29. olavrv

olavrv

Unfortunately this did not fix the issue. Please check link below to see issue:

https://www.jottacloud.com/p/olavrv/c94632496a704ba2b3b8358167a88969

30. emrys90

emrys90

In the latest beta, which is the first beta I had tried, I get a lot of shader errors when doing a build. This is in Unity 5.5.3f1. Is the beta not compatible with that version of Unity?

The water and underwater effects are also black. Is it possible I've set something up wrong? I deleted PlayWay from the project and then imported the new version. Is there any documentation on how to use the new beta?

EDIT:
    The colors being black was related to the water profile, I changed it to one of the defaults and its not black anymore. Still get the shader errors though.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  31. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

Zuzzu, welcome back! We missed you. Very excited to see things moving forward with this amazing system.

Bug in 2.0b9 on PC: Additive volumes don't work. I see a seam in the water at the edge of the volume, and then the water continues out to the horizon.

This bug existed with 2.0b8 as well

GPU is GeForce GTX 970

And a request: in the "latest beta" folder, could you drop a text file with title being the name of the version? I keep re-downloading and then checking file size to see if it's changed, would be great to just visually see that it's gone from 2.0b8 to 2.0b9, and so on.

And compat: have been having really good results with PlayWay plus Time of Day.

Just got a new MacBook Pro 15" with GPU. Will test latest version and report back. I have mostly moved off mac for dev but with the new iMac pro seriously thinking of moving back.....

Thank you!
    - Matt

jayty90 likes this.
  32. magique

magique

Can you confirm whether or not Time of Day Scattering/Fog effect works with Playway? Does the water surface look properly fogged from a distance? Also Unity GlobalFog?

33. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

u
    It looks fantastic and fog/scattering is seamless. Was having a hard time achieving this level of integration with Tenkoku. Will put up some screens later.

magique likes this.
  34. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

playway_time-of-day_b8.JPG

This is playway + time of day + scion post processing (playway version is 2.0b8, haven't finished updating to 2.0b9)

Leoo, GuinUK and magique like this.
  35. magique

magique

I forgot to mention that I'm using Forward rendering. Is that screenshot with Forward or Deferrred?

36. syscrusher

syscrusher

Pardon what may be a silly new-user question:

I just purchased PlayWay recently, and since my current project is just a sandbox whose only purpose is to learn PlayWay and my weather system of choice (UniStorm) *before* I try to put them into a real project, it seems to me that I would be better off to start with the beta right away, rather than learning the 1.x system and then re-learning. In any case, I'd also like to help with testing the beta to make it better. :)

...which brings me to the question: How do I obtain access to the beta?

37. Funkeys

Funkeys

hi,
    i think the best way is to wirte an e-mail to help@playway.com

syscrusher likes this.
  38. SciePro

SciePro

@zuzzu will the latest patch fix the issue with the unity bloom?

pwater04 (1).jpg playway02 (1).JPG

"We´re using Unity 5.6.1f1 - deferred/linear workflow and the Unity post processing stack. We use Time of Day for the day n n night cycle but the issue also happens without it. The bloom on the water reflections goes wild. It works without bloom or with HDR deactivated. Both are no options. It also works with the reflection cam set do vertex lit. Any solutions?"

39. gibmation

gibmation

Hi I'm getting errors using U5.51f1 with latest beta.

Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/Dynamic/DynamicWaterInteraction.cs(146,19): error CS1061: Type `UnityEngine.Rendering.CommandBuffer' does not contain a definition for `SetViewProjectionMatrices' and no extension method `SetViewProjectionMatrices' of type `UnityEngine.Rendering.CommandBuffer' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/Dynamic/DynamicWaterInteraction.cs(158,19): error CS1061: Type `UnityEngine.Rendering.CommandBuffer' does not contain a definition for `SetViewProjectionMatrices' and no extension method `SetViewProjectionMatrices' of type `UnityEngine.Rendering.CommandBuffer' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Thanks

40. hopeful

hopeful

There are some bugs in 5.6.1, like I've heard there is a bug with render textures. Possibly you are encountering a Unity bug. (?)

41. SciePro

SciePro

Unfortunately we had the same issue on 5.5 before.

42. emrys90

emrys90

@zuzzu
    Does anyone else get shader errors when doing a build with the beta version? Even though it doesn't seem to affect anything, it makes it unusable for me because cloud builds fail when you get any error messages.

43. EricL

EricL

@zuzzu
    I'm running into some serious clipping and rendering issues with the PlayWay 2.0 Beta 9 on Unity 5.6.0f3. Can you offer me any guidance in resolving these issues? Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    IronDuke likes this.
  44. IronDuke

IronDuke

That's a darned cool looking aircraft thingummy you got there!:cool:

--IronDuke

EricL and ledlamp like this.
  45. syscrusher

syscrusher

Did that, and got the beta download links from @zuzzu. Thanks!

Funkeys likes this.
  46. electric_jesus

electric_jesus

@zuzzu thank you for an awesome asset. How's this transfer going on?

reelie and ftejada like this.
  47. emrys90

emrys90

Removing support for DirectX 9 fixed almost all my shader errors, so I guess PlayWay is dropping support for that? I still have one remaining shader error though after that

Shader error in 'Hidden/PlayWay Water-Internal-DeferredShading': undeclared identifier 'UnityObjectToClipPos' at line 299 (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING SHADER_API_DESKTOP

Does anyone know how to fix that?

48. Nihilus0

Nihilus0

Hi, I am a purchaser.

I bought it half a year. I was experiencing shoreline problems when I implemented the game. After this, I learned from the forum that there is a beta version.

From recent reviews, the difference between the 1.1.6 version and the 2.0b9 version is huge. So I think it's better to get a beta version. But if I wait a bit longer, I do not need to send a link request email. So I ask.

I want to know when the beta version is stable and when I can download it formally from the Asset Store.
    (If I think it's taking a long time, I'm going to request a download link right away.)
    Thank you.

Ps. I can not speak English very well. I'm sorry if you have a rough tone.

49. Aubrey-Falconer

Aubrey-Falconer

Zuzzu - I just wanted to say thanks again for your work on what has proven to be the finest ocean system for Unity. I, for one, have no issue if another month or two roll by before we hear from the new owner of this asset. Cheers to all!

Also, the latest beta's Forward render mode is working as expected for me with a number of image-effects-based fog and sky systems. I am currently experimenting with TrueSky however, and the command-buffer-based approach it uses does not appear to be compatible out of the box. I found a post in this thread from November 22nd in which Zuzzu describes the possibility of enabling TrueSky compatibility by creating a custom image effect with an ImageEffectOpaque flag and performing the TrueSky execution inside it. Has anyone tried this - and if so, how did it go? I will have the opportunity to spend a bit more time on this experiment over the next few weeks. I'll report back if success is achieved.

GuinUK likes this.
  50. Harekelas

Harekelas

Hi @zuzzu
    I'm wondering how can I get the beta version of playwaywater?
    The asset store version does not have shoreline smoothen effects, it causes water pop out from terrain on low sea-level areas( like a large flat beach). Does beta version have this feature or I can do it with some tweaks of the current assetstore version?
    Hear you soon!