Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

PlayWay Water - high quality water system

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by zuzzu, Oct 9, 2015.

1. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

I'm finally getting back to an island project I've been moving along, and I am finding that Playway 1.6 crashes Unity altogether after simply attempting to load one of the demo scenes.

I'm running Unity 5.6.0p2 in OpenGL core mode on a Mac Pro 6,1.

2. emrys90

emrys90

I'm not sure which asset is the culprit, but if PlayWay Water and Tenkoku are both visible on the screen at the same time then my framerate is horrible. If it's just one or the other then my performance is great. Any thoughts on what this could be?

3. evilleneuve2

evilleneuve2

Hi there.

I'm simply trying to make my GameObject to float. I'm understanding that my GameObject needs to have a Rigidbody, a Mesh Collider and the Water Physics Script.

Is there a way to use the Mesh Colliders of my GameObject's children? Or is it required to have its own local Mesh Collider?

Since my parent GameObject is made with multiple Meshes, I do not have a Mesh Collider that fits the entire parent GameObject.

I hope my question is understandable.

4. olavrv

olavrv

If you only have a mesh collider (or any other collider) on the parent (w/rigidbody), it is only this collider that will interact in any physics simulation. If you want the childeren to collide and interact in physics simulation, they will also need colliders.

Only solution I can think of is to make a merged mesh of all the objects (parent and childeren), and use this as the collider mesh on the mesh collider component on parent game object.

5. EricL

EricL

@zuzzu, I am very excited to use this asset, but I've run into nothing but trouble with shadows and clippings in the latest beta. Please click here to see a video demonstrating my problem. I'm on macOS Sierra 10.12.4 running Unity 5.6.0f3.

Do you have any idea what's going on?

6. ijkirschbaum

ijkirschbaum

Hi,
    I'm wondering if anyone has a solution for this issue.
    I am not using direction light or the skybox in my scene. Rather I am using point lights specifically to catch specific regions of spectacular highlights. My scenes run fine and look great in the editor, however in my build the water does not show any reflections, highlights or foam it also is much smoother and less detailed then in the editor it looks like it isn't building the normal maps or the foam. My build looks drastically worse then my editor view. I am building for the Vive if that makes a difference.
    Is there a setting that I am missing? Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanx

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    nigel-moore likes this.
  7. olavrv

olavrv

Some inspiration from Unigine:

Would be great with a wake system with this quality level!

8. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

The file link for the beta I have hasn't change since 3/22. Is there a new version out that I am missing or is that the latest still?

9. wynott

wynott

So... Had things working pretty good.

Then updated to unity 5.6, updated to latest playway beta, and changed sky systems kindof all in one shot.

Having an issue where skybox reflection is sortof doing the opposite as it should be. I.e. head turning right makes skybox reflection turn left on the water. Up/down reversed also.

Any ideas?

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  10. olavrv

olavrv

I am experiencing something similar with playeay beta8 and unity 5.6.0p3 (multipass rendering)

11. wynott

wynott

Just noticed that this was reported previously in the thread.

12. olavrv

olavrv

I believe if it would be possible to add particle emitters that effect playway ocean displacement and foam (writes to foam mask) the same result would be acjievable with playway. Is this currently possible - to have a particle system write to foam mask and displacement?

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  13. ftejada

ftejada

And hopefully we can have a system of waves breaking on the shore of quality. I've been asking for it for some time ...
    It is a pain to have a water asset like Playway water and not have such essential features as these, shorelines and waves breaking, ship wake waves as said olavr and bug's solution that are currently.

regards

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    CplMulder and antey3064 like this.
  14. gibmation

gibmation

Hey devs, could we have some replies to our issues please?

mz2021 and olavrv like this.
  15. olavrv

olavrv

I am trying to use a standard particle system emitting particles under water. When i set the shader to transparent, the particles are not drawn while they are under PlayWay ocean surface.

Anybody have any tips on how to solve this? It would be much appriciated!

16. CplMulder

CplMulder

I am having a problem using Playway water in an island scene.... it seems all trees that use a billboard at lower LOD levels do not render in front of the water... I have the same issue occurring with multiple tree packages... screenshot attached... please correct me if I have something set up incorrectly.

Chris
    London

Playway Bug.JPG

17. olavrv

olavrv

Try switching from deferred to forward on the PlayWay water component on camera, if you have not allready done tried this...

18. CplMulder

CplMulder

Thanks for the reply but it was already set to "forward"... I assume you mean the camera component on the "Water reflection Camera" that is a child of the main water. - I tried changing it on the reflection camera and the FPS camera but still get the same result.

19. olavrv

olavrv

No, not that camera - the "Water Camera (Script)" on your main camera - set it inside this component

20. zuzzu

zuzzu

I'm going to transfer the ownership of this asset to a friendly studio next month.

I will be able to provide a very limited support until then, but after that there will probably be a dedicated developer time for this asset. There is also a promise of new features that are very impressive from what I've seen so far and that were frequently requested in the past.

Thank you very much for many great games that used PlayWay Water :) In case of important matters please don't hesitate to contact me by e-mail and I will do my best to help. Cheers!

21. CplMulder

CplMulder

Thanks olavrv - yep I tried changing it on both cameras (individually and together) with the same result.... I've attached my a screenshot of my FPS camera settings :
    Playway Bug 2.JPG
    HOWEVER - I have realised that this issue of mine is not limited to Playway water - I tried the same scene using Aquas water and also the built in Unity advanced water - the issue is occurring on all of them.

I'll keep digging and see what I can find.... it is strange as it is only when the tree is at the billboarded detail level... as you move closer to is and it goes into 3D mesh mode it works fine...

Thanks again for your help

22. CplMulder

CplMulder

Good luck zuzzu... thanks again for a great looking water asset. We all hope the new studio will do some wonderful things with playway and I wish you all the best for the future!

23. olavrv

olavrv

I don't know which version you are using, I am using latest beta - so that might explain why my Water Camera (Script) component looks different :) In latest beta you can set deferred/forward inside the component...

CplMulder likes this.
  24. zelgo

zelgo

check the material for your tree billboards. you may have to tweak the render queue value. when multiple transparent materials are drawn on top of each other they have to be sorted by the render queue. they are drawn in order from low to high, so try a higher value for your trees

25. chainsawpenguin

chainsawpenguin

I fix this in the absolutely inelegant way of changing the "Billboard Start" property in the Terrain editor to be something higher than 50.

I've heard this sort of advice before, but where do I set the render queue for terrain trees? And where do I find/set it for the playway water?

26. Valthaer

Valthaer

Hi!

We have acquired PlayWater from unity Asset Store and works great, but we are having problems with implementing ships.
    There is any way to implement the buoyancy effect in ships without using the physics in Playwater?. We wan´t use physics and the script for buoyancy is not realistic for ships.

It´s possible to implement multi-buoyancy gameobjects in a ship to get a realistic movement? as Suimono Water System does for example.

Thanks!

27. gryph

gryph

Not sure if anyone has tried / solved what I'm trying to do but here we go;

I've managed to get the built-in bow-wake system up and running and am trying to add some supplemental effects via particle systems and trail renderers.

The problem I'm having revolves around how things are drawn... or not drawn.

Transparent Particles / Materials fail to render when they go underwater - they get clipped under waves & wake.
    Setting the render queue to AlphaTest or Geometry leads to anything rendered over the water plane to appear as though it's underwater, which is fine in some cases, but not ideal for most.

The desired effect would be to have these particles / trails render above the water, but below the wake generating object ... here's the kicker ... preferably without using additional cameras.

Any thoughts?

28. olavrv

olavrv

We have the same issue, and my preliminary conclusion is to add the GPU particle script component included in PlayWay to the ocean, and via script spawn "particles" that write to the foam map/mask that PlayWay uses for the ocean. Have not tried this out yet, but from what I can gather the GPU particle script component can receive both foam and displacement via script, and these "particles" can have direction, lifetime - but not sure about velocity...

Please let me know if you find a solution, and I will do the same!

29. CplMulder

CplMulder

Thank you Zelgo.... I think I am getting close... when looking at the tree materials they have a value of 2000... it seems I am however unable to chage this as it says "From Shader"... I am also unable to find the shaders which seem to reside in a "hidden" folder of some sort : Playway Bug 3.JPG

30. CplMulder

CplMulder

Thanks Chainsawpenguin (cool name).... I tried this approach but in my island scene I need to make the value pretty large to remove all billboards from places where you can see for far (like the top of a hill) Unity will then will try to draw tens of thousands of trees in 3D and the framerate drops - sometimes as low as 1 frame per second

31. wynott

wynott

How do I tell what version beta I have? Still having a reflection problem after applying the fix... Wondering if perhaps the "latest version" link/file hasn't been updated? Perhaps I'm using an older version?

Also I've noticed when in play (scene view) my water reflection camera isn't moving. So maybe I have an entirely different problem? Seems to me it should be basically mirroring the player position on the other side of the water.

32. 21312313123321

I am considering picking this up for some serious simulation project however, I tried the demo and it was not good enough.

Today though I hear that the beta version is much better?

Any way I can get a quick simple demo as I would need to show the team.

Also, does it support wakes?

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  33. wynott

wynott

I gave up and went back to 5.5 to fix the reflections.

Anyone have any idea why I'm getting this white line on the horizon? I get little white artifacts around objects that are drawn in front of (on top of?) the water also but they're not showing in the screenshot.

Line/object artifacts go away when I shut off the water.

Sky is trueSKY. unity 5.5 deferred rendering, linear colour, single-pass stereo.
    upload_2017-5-10_20-37-37.png

34. iddqd

iddqd

Dedicated developer time from you or from the new owner?

mz2021 likes this.
  35. PatTanner

PatTanner

Hi @zuzzu, fantastic looking asset. I was just about to purchase and download, but stopped when i saw the above post. Being another ex Ceto user, I studied all 25 pages on this forum to gauge both the suitability of the asset and the developers support. Can you offer any further details on this proposed change of ownership. I was of the impression that this was a Playway asset which you supported !
    While the asset looks great,it appears to still require much support.
    If I purchase today can I get access to the latest beta release ?
    My goal is to create a simulation to examine reconstructions of archaeological ships. To study how they float and react in "real" sea conditions. I have accurate 3D models of the ships and wanted a realistic ocean asset to drop them onto.
    With the ship floating using either your or a.n.other buoyancy script, can I also add other external forces such as wind heeling and forward sailing motion.
    Would all these physics forces play nice and still react to your ocean system.
    Cheers
    Pat

ekergraphics and iddqd like this.
  36. Pvt_Hudson

Pvt_Hudson

anyone using playway bow waves, and can see them in VR?

37. wood333

wood333

I really like this water asset. I hope you and/or any successor will just keep the basic functionality working, so when I have to up-version Unity I am not forced to fall back to a different water asset.

olavrv likes this.
  38. olavrv

olavrv

We are having some problems with singlepass rendering with other assets when playway water is enabled. These other assets work perfectly well in singlepass rendering mode without playway water.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

39. ekergraphics

ekergraphics

When I stop Play Mode I get about 600-900 of these:

Code (CSharp):
    1. MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'Water' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    2. Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.
    3. PlayWay.Water.WaterSample.GetAndReset (Single x, Single z, ComputationsMode mode, UnityEngine.Vector3& forces) (at Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/Spectra/Sampling/WaterSample.cs:151)
    4. PlayWay.Water.WaterSample.GetAndReset (Single x, Single z, ComputationsMode mode) (at Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/Spectra/Sampling/WaterSample.cs:99)
    5. PlayWay.Water.WaterSample.GetAndReset (Vector3 origin, ComputationsMode mode) (at Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/Spectra/Sampling/WaterSample.cs:86)
    6. PlayWay.Water.WaterCamera.PrepareToRender () (at Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/WaterCamera.cs:1406)
    7. PlayWay.Water.WaterCamera.OnPreCull () (at Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/WaterCamera.cs:584)
    8. UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()
    This is using the beta package link I was previously given.

40. sadicus

sadicus

@Zuzu Good Luck to you, thanks for all the support!
    ugh, I wish I had never seen this! The truth hurts: UNIGINE 2
    When I paid for unity pro a few years ago it was on a quest for a water system that would look and function like UNIGINE 2. So many years pass and Ceto and PlayWay water are the best Unity has to offer and it's not even close.(yet)
    With proper support I hope PlayWay will get to that level. PlayWay Under water looks good and I look forward to any progress.

electric_jesus and ftejada like this.
  41. Aubrey-Falconer

Aubrey-Falconer

Hi friends, I am interested in combining PlayWay water with an advanced atmospheric fog system - DeepSky Haze in particular - for my latest project. I just PM'd @zuzzu for beta access, but am afraid a response may be some time in coming given the current transitional state of the project. I have seen references to a new forward/deferred config option, and a description that with the water in forward rendering mode most fog systems should "just work".

DeepSky includes hooks for applying it's final postfx output to custom transparent shaders. There's a description in the "Applying atmospherics to custom transparent shaders" of the manual:
    https://lightbulbbox.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/deepskyhaze_userguide.pdf

Have any of you experimented with something similar before? For those with beta access, is it worth waiting to hear back from Zuzzu before I invest time in atmospheric experimentation with the current asset store release?

42. JonasPersson

JonasPersson

My right eye is just rendering black under the water when im using single pass stereo rendering. This just started all of a sudden. I tried reimporting the water assets. But it didnt work. The demoscenes have the same problem. Using forward rendering.

I would really like a fix for this

43. JonasPersson

JonasPersson

Here is an image of my problem
    Im using the latest beta

Attached Files:

44. Protozoaire

Protozoaire

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  45. sadicus

sadicus

Attempting to animate a light going in and out of the water. When the point light "Range" intersects the water surface, it makes a very sharp light shape. What causes this and how can it be made softer?

Attached Files:

46. sadicus

sadicus

Is there a build that has Caustics?

mz2021 likes this.
  47. Wolfkingdom

Wolfkingdom

Hi, when you will release the version 2.0. we need a shoreline that works. Just take the code from Water4 and include it in the next version. Sea without shoreline is retarded.

WOK-beach-7.jpg WOK-beach-9.jpg

mz2021 and ftejada like this.
  48. Zaki_X

Zaki_X

I'm having a hard time here when I'm trying to apply any mesh to Playway water component (I'm using beta version). I'm trying to optimise my sea by limiting it's size, but I'm not able to do this. When I set it boundless the "water reflection camera" keeps rendering even below the land. It hits performence dramatically (30-40% of FPS- tested with various PCs).
    Baking occlusion culling helps a bit, but turns off the water's reflections. I've tried dozens of setups, lowering all possible
    values, but that didn't help. I've been using regular version before (not beta) and I was able to add a plane to this water. It had some transparency issues so I had to switch to beta. I was wondering if any of you had similar problems.

49. SSL7

SSL7

Any ETA of 2.0 release? thank you.

mz2021 likes this.
  50. SciePro

SciePro

Hi guys, we´re trying to use playway water for our project. I have received one reply from support and provided a prepro project for our issue afterwards. Unfortunately we didn´t get a reply or solution.

We´re using Unity 5.6.1f1 - deferred/linear workflow and the Unity post processing stack. We use Time of Day for the day n n night cycle but the issue also happens without it. The bloom on the water reflections goes wild. It works without bloom or with HDR deactivated. Both are no options. It also works with the reflection cam set do vertex lit. Any solutions?

Sebastian

working fine :
    pwater04.jpg
    once the sun is gone :
    playway02.JPG