Search Unity

PlayWay Water - high quality water system

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by zuzzu, Oct 9, 2015.

1. zuzzu

zuzzu

I've sent you beta download links, sorry about that.

I hope it helps, but there are also two expected ways for this to happen - setting Time.timeScale to a large value or manually setting Water.Time to an scaled game time each frame.

2. gibmation

gibmation

Hi, can anyone recommend a boat controller suitable for Playway Water?
    Thanks

3. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

Does anyone have a proper swimming script that will work for my player? Have been trying to come up with something, but I seem to be rather stuck...
    Hmm, thanks for your help, but I can't seem to make it work properly with my player.
    Does anyone else have a proper swimming script that actually works with going into / out of water?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  4. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

I use the Usim package which includes an boat physics beta package. This package offers many options for the boat physics.

5. JonasPersson

JonasPersson

Maybe someone has already reported this, couldnt find it so i report it now.

I have upgraded my unity to 5.6 and now the planar reflection of the skybox is not tracking properly to the camera (im using vive) . The movement of the skybox specular reflection is somehow inverted.

unitarians likes this.
  6. JonasPersson

JonasPersson

Ps. Im using the latest beta

7. gibmation

gibmation

@Bartolomeus755 Thanks for this about to give it try.

8. Aress28

Aress28

I have problem with water waves pop on terrain and that makes weird look...is there any way to work around? Waves.png

9. ekergraphics

ekergraphics

For us, this has never worked on the Vive either, and at least one other user has also mentioned it before.

unitarians likes this.
  10. gibmation

gibmation

@Bartolomeus755 Did you get the ship to match Playway's waves?
    If I use Playway Physics, it seems jerky. If I use USim bouyancy it does not match the waves.
    THanks for your help.

11. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Hi, I answered in the Usim thread.

12. gibmation

gibmation

Thanks pal.

13. HawkWang

HawkWang

Hey,zuzzu,I really need seashore which 1.6 did not provide。
    May I have a copy of 2.0 beta 4

14. RemexChris

RemexChris

15. artefacto-sas

artefacto-sas

Yi zuzzu,
    I really need the bow waves emitter included in 2.0beta.
    Where can we download this version ? It's a private beta ?

Thanks in advance.

16. bmaricle

bmaricle

Has river support has been added yet?

17. AruRen

AruRen

Hi there,

if I want to add a nice big wave tube, like in AssassinsCreed 3, or as a breaking wave, will I be able to do something?

Is there any solution for that or support?

Thank you

18. Timspurgeon

Timspurgeon

Hello Everyone,

I am having issue with underwater view the effects are not there it just looks like im on reg surface. It works fine one boundless water. I have 3 volume add waters that its not working on. any ideas.

19. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

Setting up a boat in the beta. Finally got it figured out by trial-and-error on the mass. Max's spindle object sliced lengthwise is perfect for a simple ship hull; symmetric, tapered at both ends, flat on top, 80 polys. Took a while to figure out why it wasn't floating. Boat slowed when it hits the water and then keeps sinking. Adjusting mass stopped it. Might have helped if I had a realistic estimate for mass but I just copied from galleon and that was too much. farallon_upset.JPG

20. Zaki_X

Zaki_X

I keep getting this msg in console:

Triggers on concave MeshColliders are not supported
    UnityEngine.Collider:set_isTrigger(Boolean)
    PlayWay.Water.WaterVolumeBase:OnValidate() (at Assets/PlayWay Water/Scripts/Volumes/WaterVolumeBase.cs:112)

Is there any way to get rid of this?

Beta version of Playway water, Unity 5.5.1f1

-Mike

21. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

The past 1.5 years nothing really happens with PlayWay. Unfortunately too much issues and the author didn't get rid of it. Further implementing new features is a mess for all existing users if the basic didn't work well.

To the author: Please stop trying to implement anything new and start fixing bugs in the first row!

Otherwise PlayWay is another depreciated asset on my list.

olavrv and unitarians like this.
  22. ozgesamanci

ozgesamanci

Does anyone have a weather asset recommendation for use with the non-beta version of this asset on Unity 5.5? I want to make sure the weather asset I go with works well with this one. I'm mainly looking for the ability to quickly transition between a sunny, cloudless sky, and a darker, cloudy sky. My project also switches between many ocean profiles in realtime. Is there a weather asset that has a similar profile mechanic? Thanks!

23. DCrosby

DCrosby

If you want precision and great looking clouds, I'd say Simul-Sky, but it's pricey, and seems to be in a similar state of working, if Everything is just right. I've tried to bring PlayWay and SimulSky together, with somewhat disastrous results on either PlayWay or SimulSky. I have a feeling because both are pushing the envelope as to what's possible with Unity. I hope both will stabilize around 5.6 and we won't have these issues until 6.0 or whatever comes after 5.6 ships.

https://docs.simul.co/unity/

And even though it's called Simul Sky Alpha, that's the name and not the sated state of the code. It's a full release.

24. Exbleative

Exbleative

You can get the two working together if you don't use alpha blended/see-through water, I'm pretty sure. Bit of a shame that's the case, though.

25. GXMark

GXMark

Yes i have 5.6.1 and getting a very hard crash (with audio tones sometimes) on starting in the editor. Its intermittent but crashes one in 8 start ups. Something else thats happening is that when playing it takes about 10 seconds for the playmode to begin (without playway 3 secs).

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  26. Zaki_X

Zaki_X

I'm using a couple of plugins for skies, fog, terrain and water and after working a bit with all together you can achieve nice results. but using all these effects is a bit heavy and needs rather good machine. If you're building for a PC it shouldn't be
    a problem though.

foggy_lake_03.jpg

Effects/add-ons that I'm using: Playway Water (beta, as the regular version doesn't work well with transparency), Volumetric Fog (Kronnect), AzureSky (has dozens of options), Unity's standard fog, Amplify Bloom, Unity Postprocessing
    Stack, LUTs from Amplify Color. Unity version- 5.5.1f1.

Attached Files:

Peter77 likes this.
  27. zuzzu

zuzzu

I'm going to fix that soon.

You have to ensure that the water volume is concave or Unity won't let that collider be set as a trigger to not affect other rigid bodies. That means no holes etc.

I couldn't get a copy from the author to test that theory, but I think that the issues between these two assets are fixable by setting command buffer event on Simul to CameraEvent.AfterImageEffectsOpaque.

Edit: Also you have to use forward or deferred render mode on WaterCamera (these modes are available only in beta releases).

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  28. emrys90

emrys90

I'm having horrible performance with the WaterPhysics component. When I have it enabled on 500 objects in my scene my frame rate goes down to 3 fps. I turn it off and it goes up to 60-80 fps. Is there anything I can do to improve the performance of that?

29. zuzzu

zuzzu

There are a few things to try:

1. Try to use as simple colliders as possible, preferably spheres or boxes.
    2. Set sample count on them to 1.
    3. In beta releases, there is a SimpleWaterPhysics component. It's faster and more reliable under stress.

30. emrys90

emrys90

Thanks, I'll try some of that out. In the beta, do you happen to open up API access for setting those values at runtime? At the moment I'm adding the components for WaterPhysics at runtime instead of in the editor.

So what's different about SimpleWaterPhysics?

31. zuzzu

zuzzu

Not really, I will remember to set that up for the next update.

It's actually called FastWaterPhysics. Nothing special about it, it's optimized and stabilized a bit around use of just one sampler. I'm using it for clutter objects etc. It's not good for ships and other big bodies.

32. emrys90

emrys90

Okay thanks!

33. zuzzu

zuzzu

I've attached a patch to this post, that should fix all reported issues with planar reflections in VR on most 5.6.0 versions. It will work with 2.0b8 water. There was some changes in Unity under the hood that I had to comply to.

There also seems to be an engine bug in at least some 5.6.0 releases that makes non-stereoscopic cameras (in VR mode) not clear their render targets properly when Skybox clearing is used. Visually it looks like the reflections would smear everywhere when you rotate your headset around. There is a temporary fix for that in my code. To activate it you will have to add preprocessor directive "SKYBOX_CLEAR_BUG_FIX" to "Scripting Define Symbols" in "Edit/Project Settings/Player", like this:

upload_2017-4-14_14-11-46.png

Attached Files:

elbows likes this.
  34. SSL7

SSL7

Hey @zuzzu , any ETA on the 2.0 final release? thank you

35. zuzzu

zuzzu

Hey, I won't have much time this month, but I should be able to finish it in may. Things that are still left to do include writing a new documentation, finishing samples, ensuring some acceptable Metal support and looking into the few remaining bugs that have been reported.

jashan likes this.
  36. Reiner

Reiner

playway water with unistorm

how can i cange the profile from calm to storm when unistorm change weather to storm?

Greetz Reiner

37. creat327

creat327

an apk to test this on mobile?

38. TheSinglePringle

TheSinglePringle

@zuzzu , I saw in this thread that you posted there was a shore.unity in the beta? I just bought the water system, how do I get a hold of the beta? Thanks

39. zuzzu

zuzzu

You can use Water.SetProfiles method.

I recommend AQUAS Water Set from the Asset Store for mobile platforms. I'm not supporting them for now.

Please start a private conversation and paste your Invoice No. I will respond with download links.

40. gibmation

gibmation

HI I PM you a couple days ago for beta links please.
    Thanks

41. olavrv

olavrv

We use "Realistic Water Physics" asset on assetstore - works really well together with PlayWay water

ftejada likes this.
  42. Epimolophant

Epimolophant

Hi! Can someone recommend a nice water fx asset with splashes that would look nice with PlayWay Water? Thanks!

43. Frankenthor

Frankenthor

Hello Zuzzu,

we are using PlayWay Water and we want to release a new patch for our game. Is it possible to get the beta-version for testing?

Regards
    Peter@Team Negaia

44. pojoih

pojoih

Hey zuzzu,
    is there a way to make the normal intensity fader camera-distance-based? I found that this sliders has the most impact on solving aliasing artifacts in VR, but lowing this value destroys detail on the near water. It would be awesome to control on which distance relative to the camera the normal intensity starts to fade out. "Details Fade Distance" aparently has no impact on the normal, only on the tesselation factor

45. electric_jesus

electric_jesus

Hi @zuzzu
    I found a bug in the beta. The UnderwaterIME script doesn't have the cameraAbsorptionColor property anymore, but UnderwaterIMEEditor is still trying to reach it. Present in b7 and b4.
    By the way, will custom absorption option be back in future releases of 2.0?

ftejada likes this.
  46. zuzzu

zuzzu

Thank you for the bug reports and suggestions. I will have them in mind for the May update.

Send me a private message with your Invoice No.

I've reworked underwater absorption colors from uniform colors to gradients dependent on depth on user request. Temporarily it's accessible only through the water profiles, but per-camera setting will probably be back soon too.

47. Persan

Persan

We are currently migrating from Ceto Water system to PlayWay Water, and it looks amazing!

One of the final things we need to set up in order for us to fully use PlayWay water is thruster wakes / foam in the water. When contacting the developer we got a quick response on how to set this up, however after the SurfaceOverlayRenderer was set up we got a few artifacts occuring:
    • Wierd grey colored field
    • Wierd black field (appears and "animates" when moving the object around)
    • Tiling foam texture
    Is there anyone here that has done something similar and got it to work?

If we can get these issues sorted out we believe we have something usable. We could for example use the same approach with a particle system (we have also tested this, and it works except for same artifacts as described above on using a cube)

Attached Files:

48. gibmation

gibmation

Hi zuzzu, have more or less set up the bow waves but how do we set up wake at stern of ship?

Some docs or a sample ship prefab containing all these features so we could mess around with would be great.

Thanks

olavrv likes this.
  49. Fraconte

Fraconte

In the latest beta (2.0b8) and Unity 5.6.0f3, I have this 2 errors continuosly reported when WaterSubtractVolume is enabled:

• RendererUpdateManager only synchronizes renderers that are added to the scene, so AssertIsTransformInfoUpToDate can only be called on renderers that are added to the scene.
    • In order to call GetTransformInfoExpectUpToDate, RendererUpdateManager.UpdateAll must be called first.
    In the same project I have this reported in my scene and in the Galleon Demo scene.
    In the same project I was able to get a new scene running without errors, but I can't find what the difference was.

Edit: I found it only happens when RenderMode is set to Basic. In Full I have no error (but perhaps some weird light effect... I have to check better).

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  50. gibmation

gibmation

I cant get Subtract volume working on latest beta.
    Using Ocean Fully Featured.
    Have a box collider as trigger with WaterVolumeSubtract.
    Is there anything else I need to do?

I am trying to remove water from a dry dock.

Another point - once I subtract volume can I add another volume in same area in order to re-create water level dropping inside dry dock?

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017