Search Unity

PlayWay Water - high quality water system

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by zuzzu, Oct 9, 2015.

1. derkoi

derkoi

I'm using the latest beta version and around the edges of the screen the reflections fade out, almost like a vignette. Any ideas how to remove this and just have the reflection behave as expected? Cheers

2. cfantauzzo

cfantauzzo

From the documentation:
    PlayWay Water Vignette on water.PNG

kurotatsu likes this.
  3. derkoi

derkoi

Thanks. I thought I'd read it somewhere. Had to dig for the setting but found it in the shader set options.

kurotatsu and cfantauzzo like this.
  4. unicat

unicat

Can i have the latest beta please ?

5. Rave-TZ

Rave-TZ

Sent a private message with proof of purchase. I need the beta so I can build with water using Unity 5.5

6. Kevinsomn1a

Kevinsomn1a

I have also sent a message regarding beta access with my invoice attached. Thanks!

7. Maryana

Maryana

Hi. We have a big problem with PlayWay Water + Steam VR plugin. In editor all works fine, but in the build water doesn't work (pink color or no renderer at all).

Can you help? It's really important and urgent, we have deadline after a week )

8. iddqd

iddqd

Are you using the beta?

9. Maryana

Maryana

No, we use 5.5.0f3 :(

10. iddqd

iddqd

i mean if you're using the playway beta, if not, send zuzzu your invoice number. The beta has lots of improvements

11. electric_jesus

electric_jesus

Hello @zuzzu,
    I have some troubles implementing marine snow.
    I'm using a simple particle emitter with Sprite->Diffuse shader (I've also tried all kinds of PlayWay Water shaders with no luck). The problem is that the particles are only visible when there is some background mesh close to the camera.
    This occures in both PW1.1 and PW2.0 when Underwater IME script is attached to the camera.
    What am I doing wrong? Did anybody manage to implement marine snow?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  12. benvanik

benvanik

Seconding (and thirding) a few of the questions being asked, specifically:
    *) are there any additional underwater effects (caustics, lighting, etc) included beyond what's in the demo - or recommended complementary assets known to work well?
    *) what's the status of shorelines - is support included or are they supportable via custom hacking/shaders/etc?

I was also experimenting with another water system and a bunch of globals that restricted it to only one visible water volume at a time, so now I have to ask:
    *) are multiple visible water volumes supported? can they be added/removed at runtime?

This is by far the best looking open-water simulator I've seen and now I'm just curious how I'll get it to deal with where it meets the land :) If any of these things are supported it'd probably be a good idea to throw up some screenshots on the store page and if they aren't it'd be nice to have a roadmap. If I knew they were coming soon (or had workarounds) I'd purchase today!

13. electric_jesus

electric_jesus

@zuzzu I fixed this by uncommenting [ImageEffectOpaque] attribute before UnderwaterIME.OnRenderImage(...) method. This also eliminated bugs that I had with Depth of Field effect (see the attached pic). Do you think this could cause some troubles in future? I mean, this line was probably commented out for a reason, right?
    I'm using the latest beta.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  14. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

Kia ora

May I ask how I'd get on with this and an island that have lakes I needed to cut a hole in the sea mesh to prevent having duplicate water levels under water in the lowest lake. was weird going under water in the lake them going under water in the sea that was over the whole map

15. electric_jesus

electric_jesus

Which Unity versions are compatible with PW2 beta?
    Is there a way to use PW2 beta with Unity 5.3.5?

16. wynott

wynott

Can anyone recommend a fog asset that plays nice with Playway Water and Oculus? I think the horizon is too abrupt. I'm using Tenkoku for sky atm. It's built in fog doesn't seem to want to render over the water. Open to all suggestions. sky.JPG

17. hopeful

hopeful

Not sure if this would work for you, but it is free to try out.

kurotatsu likes this.
  18. wynott

wynott

Thanks @hopeful that's handy but didn't get me exactly what I'm looking for.

Open to changing gears on my dynamic sky asset also... If anyone knows of one that definitely works really well with Playway water and Oculus. The refund situation is such a nuisance I don't want to take risks on stuff that only sorfof half works anymore. Don't mind spending on stuff if runs fast, works well and looks awesome.

kurotatsu likes this.
  19. olavrv

olavrv

Is support for singlepass rendering implemented? If not, when will this be in?

20. olavrv

olavrv

Hi, Just purchased playewater and it looking great! But, a quick question: when I press play it is using 8.9ms on CPU main, but when I select the profile file in project panel, it drops to 3.5ms...

Is there any particular reason for this?

21. olavrv

olavrv

PS: this asset is amazing, would love to have wakes / thruster propulsion wakes - then it would be complete from my point of view! :)

kurotatsu and hopeful like this.
  22. iddqd

iddqd

23. Mark_T

Mark_T

Azure has PlayWay Water included in one of their demos you can download from the asset store. And you can ask the developer here. Hope that helps.

wynott likes this.
  24. gecko

gecko

Any news about shorelines? I've seen a couple questions about that above, would love to know if that was coming.

ftejada likes this.
  25. ShizofMalkavian

ShizofMalkavian

It's on sale. I've been waiting a long time for this. Finally I bought it.

kurotatsu likes this.
  26. ftejada

ftejada

Hi

I asked the same thing weeks ago but zuzu has not answered my questions ... besides zuzu takes days that do not enter the forum.
    I would like to know if they will finally include it (shoreLines, tropicals water, etc.) or not.

After what happened with Ceto I would not want Playway Water to lose support and zuzu abandon the project.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  27. Mulbin

Mulbin

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Dropping a rigidbody into water (fairly slowly) and the moment it hits it fires off into the air at insane speed. Why is this water so bouncy?!

28. Mulbin

Mulbin

Solved the last problem, but now I have a new question! Could anyone tell me if it is possible to align the water in any orientation other than horizontal? For example a vertical wall of water? Also is there any way to apply the water to a sphere?

29. antoripa

antoripa

Hi @zuzzu ,
    your asset is really impressive. I am wondering if I can use with any kind of mesh or just one large plane in my scene

Cheers,

30. wynott

wynott

Anyone having an issue getting receive shadows to work? I have the watershadowcastinglight component added to the main dirctional light. No water shadows...

31. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

@wynott do you have your ocean set up to receive them?

32. Harekelas

Harekelas

Hi, @zuzzu
    I'm very impressed by playway water's visual quality and planning using it in my project.
    Here are some questions:
    1. I'm making an island based game also have some naval functions. So I'll need big waves in deep ocean and calm water in shallows, it's kinda determining the wave scale based on the depth information. Does playway water have this kind of feature?
    2. If I'll allow players to go into some underground caves on an island, and the player may go under the sea level, will playway water be able to mask out the water surface and disable the under water effect when it's under a terrain?
    If it can,then does it compatible runtime generated terrains and can automatically generated the mask for new terrain tiles?
    3. My project is using Tenkoku as skybox solution, and it requires deferred rendering and linear color space. How does playway water perform in this circumstance? Or if playway water is tested compatible with tenkoku would be perfect!
    Thanks for your time and have a good day!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  33. wynott

wynott

@CaptainMurphy where is that panel? I don't think I've ever seen it before. Are you using the beta? I haven't got my link for that yet...

34. wynott

wynott

I reimported it just for fun. I get the shadows in the left eye only... and they're rendering on top of objects above the sea level... up to a bit more than half a meter up. And I don't think the reflection camera is getting attached where it should be. Sigh.

Update: I tried a vanilla unity first person controller and basically same result. The height the shadows render at is still above the water.

And the reflection cam is definitely pointing the wrong direction.

Update2: The height the shadows are rendering relates to height of player camera... i.e. the shadows follow me up as I climb higher but it doesn't seem to be in a precise way. I can't really tell what's happening.

Update3: Perhaps another clue: normal sun shadows occurring below the height of the wave shadows are only appearing in the right eye.

Update4: solved my shadowing issue by duplicating the centre eye camera and assigning one centre camera to each eye. Now... if can get the reflection cam sorted out we're in business.

35. iddqd

iddqd

Shorelines are actually in the beta - you need to PM zuzzu to get access to the beta.

ftejada likes this.
  36. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

Yes, this is in the beta. If you are doing anything VR related you need to use the beta build. The one on the asset store is far behind it in terms of the VR cameras and how they render.

37. Artaani

Artaani

Hello @zuzzu
    When latest beta version will be available in the Asset Store?
    I am considering to buy this asset, but I need to use it for VR and in latest 5.5 version of Unity. People said that I should send you a message after I will purchase it.

But:
    1. It is inconvenient. Asset Store is better.
    2. Your latest presence on this forum was almost a month ago. Are you still support this tool?

38. wynott

wynott

Time for zuzzu to get an assistant! haha

cfantauzzo and iddqd like this.
  39. ekergraphics

ekergraphics

I'm very close to dropping money on this as well. But we need it for a project ASAP. How quickly can one get access to the beta for the VR functions?

40. onecrazysim

onecrazysim

I'm also on the fence about buying this, is VR support coming to the official release this month?

41. jashan

jashan

I had been using the VR support of the official release for quite a while (until I moved to the current betas), so unless that broke in a more recent Unity version, it should be working. I'm not using any of the underwater effects, though, just an Ocean in a beach scene and that did work really well.

Just talked to zuzzu on Skype and he should return to the forums this week. He did say that there are known issues with the current stable / official release but they may not always be obvious (so I guess I maybe just was lucky).

onecrazysim likes this.
  42. panFX

panFX

I already send him a pm too, got stuck with a problem of the volume substractor. Maybe the beta works better...

43. martin-sustek

martin-sustek

Hi everybody,
    I can confirm that it is very difficult to get any response from zuzzu even on private skype and e-mail.
    I do not know exactly what is going on, but I hope he is busy with finishing public release of version 2 and support will be better then.
    I can answer some of your questions from my experience:
    Mulbin: I work on game with spherical water on procedurally generated terrain. I generate custom mesh geometry and I had to modify some scripts and shaders to reflect the fact that top is not always +y axis. Still did not get 100% result, for example reflection camera is badly positioned. I am waiting for some answers from zuzzu to resolve more issues.
    Antoripa: same as above - it is possible to use custom mesh geometry, but not all features are working well
    Wynott: we have also discovered problems with receive shadows functionality, that editor window is from version 2 beta, our artist reported that this version has shadows only in specular reflections not on other water surface. Version 1 has working shadows but you have to tune water settings a little bit to make it more visible, according to our artist.
    Harekelas: 1. I dont think you can have different water parameters according to depth now, but I may be wrong. 2. You can subtract some mesh from water volume, but I have no experience with it. 3. I didn't have any problem with deferred rendering.

ftejada and iddqd like this.
  44. panFX

panFX

Can somebody confirm that foam is working in the latest beta? Couldn't figure out how to make it visible...

45. wynott

wynott

Working much better now. Still no cast shadows but can live without that. Am getting some unnatural reflections in an obviously shadowed area here though... Probably obsessing over something that's ultimately not that important but if someone has a clever idea on a tweak that would help with realism here, would be much appreciated:

tunnel2.JPG

46. cfantauzzo

cfantauzzo

I'm having this problem as well.

47. unitarians

unitarians

Praying that you get a chance to answer before the sale ends, zuzzu. 25% off squeezed the asset into my tight budget, but I still need to know if it will be useful for my work at all.:(

Shodan0101 likes this.
  48. Shodan0101

Shodan0101

Zuzzu has been quite for a very long time...he is usually very responsive!! Hope everything is ok, and that he gets back to answering all of the questions! If Playway ends up like Ceto.... I might just lose my sanity...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    Artaani and cfantauzzo like this.
  49. panFX

panFX

Don't worry, he told me, that he will continue working on the asset next week.

50. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

Ok, I thought this was something I had done in my build. Now I don't feel so dumb.