Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

PhysX 3.3.3 but no origin shift?

Discussion in '5.5 Beta' started by Arowx, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Arowx

Arowx

OK PhysX has an scene origin shift feature -> http://docs.nvidia.com/gameworks/content/gameworkslibrary/physx/guide/Manual/OriginShift.html

In effect allowing you to move the world around the player and avoid accuracy problems in larger worlds.

So this feature looks like it is definitely in the PhysX 3.3.3 API but I can't find any mention of Origin Shift in the Unity API?

I can understand that you might be holding it back for a big terrain release, but it could help a lot of game developers making larger open world games.

No mention of larger worlds or physics upgrades that mention origin shifting in the roadmap at all, why?

Idea: The transform optimisation due to drop in 5.6 could be ideal to go along with an origin shift.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    MrEsquire likes this.
  2. hoesterey

hoesterey

The ability to shift origin would both save me incredible amounts of time and open up new possibilities.

That said, I'm guessing they need to apply this origin shift to the renderer as well, so its more then a simple integration.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I'm not really up for unity introducing more bugs when Unity needs to:

- fix all physics bugs
    - increase current script-physics performance (onStay etc)
    - do physics / ragdoll animator stuff

All of that needs doing before origin shifting, which is of limited use when all the other systems need to be done first like GI, occlusion culling, AI, etc, all these systems need to be origin shift friendly (and bug free) first.

MrEsquire likes this.