Search Unity

Third Party Photon Server guide?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by zergmouse, Jul 11, 2010.

1. zergmouse

zergmouse

Does anyone have a link to a guide for setting up the Photon Unity server example? I would actually love to see a guide for getting the unity mmo photon server running.

I just wanted to see it run. I am not a server setup guy but I could not find the documentation or any kind of guide for setting it up. I have tried stand alone machines and stand alone networks and can not seem to get it working. I have 2 clean install (Windows7) machines that I can use to put any OS on to get this to work (Win server, Linux, RedHat, XP, Vista, 32 or 64, ect)

So, anyone know where there might be a tutorial on Photon?

2. Kaiserludi

Kaiserludi

Hi zergcow,

please go to http://www.exitgames.com/

There in the main menu at the top choose "Developer", then in the submenu "Developer Network". Anoher menu will show up on the left of the website. Here you can choose Photon -> Server Dev -> Setup.

If you still have questions afterwards, please ask,

Kind Regards,
    Stefan.

3. zergmouse

zergmouse

Does not help...

I hate when people write general install docs like this:

"should be pretty straightforward to use"

really? ok so where do I install the license? all it says in the documents is "When you start Photon Control it will read the license file and make key values of this available to you." Ok well that does not help me figure out where to install the actual file.

I would rather see a video example of setting up, from download to launching the unity example. Anyone care to help me out? I could make a video example once I figure out how to do it. You know for future people who have the same problems I have.

4. Merries

Merries

Contact the folks at Exit Games he will help you out, he has been pretty responsive to questions.

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

Installing license: Well there is no installing :)
    Download it, go into the bin folder of your choice (32bit, 32bit xp, 64bit), delete the .license file there and drop in the one you downloaded.

thats it, now you can start the service / server and it will just work :)

The next step after this would then be experimenting with the unity client sdk (or the dotnet one if you first want to get in touch with photon and then with unity related stuff for some reason) for the project type of your interest (mmo or LiteGame which is "distinct game room" architecture generally)

6. zergmouse

zergmouse

yea apparently the Photon server runs with no problem but the Unity example would not connect.

So here is the line I canged in game.cs in the Unity project to get it to work...
    Code (csharp):
    1. public String ipPort = LitePeer.PhotonDemoServerUrlPort;
    I changed it to:
    Code (csharp):
    1. public String ipPort = "127.0.0.1:5055";
    Now it connects to my local machine Photon server.

My question is what does LitePeer.PhotonDemoServerUrlPort mean? how does that make it try to connect to udp.exitgames.com?

7. zoultrex

zoultrex

I have to agree that sometimes the docs dont really explain, and sometimes information is scattered around other pages and files lol, you will get used :D

I think many people have that connection problem at the first try, at least I did :D so thats what happened...
    http://forum.exitgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=57

8. bertelmonster2k

bertelmonster2k

For convenience reasons we run a demo server (udp.exitgames.com), so people can run the SDKs without installing a server. But this seems to be confusing.

9. Kaiserludi

Kaiserludi

We just added a first video tutorial to youtube today, demonstrating how to setup the server from downloading to making it run and ready for demos from any client-sdk to join lite-games:
    http://blog.exitgames.com/?p=839
    The client sdks all build out of the box and connect to udp.exitgames.com, the only thing you have to change in their code is the url of the server to connect to, so it points to your local test-server.
    Give us some time and more video tutorials will follow.
    Feedback on the video is much appreciated of course, so we know waht we have to improve on further video tutorials.

Kind regards,
    Stefan.

PS: I really like your nickname, rembebers me, that it's only a few days now to SC 2 release 8)

10. sueds

sueds

really nice initiative.

I left a message on the page

11. zergmouse

zergmouse

Cool! thanks for that!

I would also like to see an example of how I can start up a server, load my game/level to the server and have the client "download the latest" to play. That would be a helpful demo I think. That and an mmo seemless world in unity example.

Also, my buddy was #3 world wide in SC1 (battle.net I think it was) back in SC1's hay day which is where I got my name from.

12. Kaiserludi

Kaiserludi

Another 2min video, this time about setting up a local unity3d client to connect to the local server (it really is just downloading the sdk,change the server-url in the demo and build the demo):
    http://blog.exitgames.com/?p=855

13. tobiass

tobiass

We just uploaded another short introduction video. This time we show how to setup and use the Mmo Demo package with Unity.
    It shows how the two main demo applications (Win Grid and the Unity Island Demo) work together, how to move simulated players and experiment with the view area.

This time we cheated in terms of cutting out a bit of copying and start time - but I guess we've all seen enough progress bars. If you have seven minutes, watch it here:
    http://blog.exitgames.com/?p=882

14. fatmah

fatmah

hii

is there any more example about Exit Games Photon

15. tobiass

tobiass

16. mpgn

mpgn

Ummm, which one has the stuff we are to download in the videos?

17. tobiass

tobiass

18. mpgn

mpgn

Thanks for the help, I just seen that in the videos stuff was different and I did not want to download the wrong thing and give a false opinion :D

19. DieDaily

DieDaily

Photon is my networking component of choice and I love it, but I do feel for you, and I agree that the documentation was sparse and confusing in certain areas. So much so that I almost decided against using it before giving it a fair chance because it wasn't at all obvious just how great it really was. I'm very glad I stayed with it, and glad that there is a push now to expand the tutorial base, but IMHO there should be checklists, checklists, checklists...that are idiot proof, and placed in a FAQ. The advanced users will not mind the included extra/trivial details at all, and the novices will really benefit from it. Almost every time I had a problem getting something running, it was because of something that turned out to be simple or trivial in the end, and that even a basic check-list driven FAQ would have prevented.

But please don't take this wrong way, I really love Photon and I think that it and Unity are match made in heaven. I may even find the time to create some of those checklists myself, so I've been taking notes about what I found to be missing from the documentation. I intend to bounce between this forum and those at Exit Software.

20. gooncorp

gooncorp

i think what hes asking is how do you simply set up the server to run on your computer. i am having a hard time setting photon up.

21. gore23

gore23

have you been able to ? I am struggling to get my game going with multiplayer T.T oh and with the free licence do I have to host from home ? or do they host for me I am confused T.T I just want my game to play with another and so that I can begin actually building it past just having movement related scripts and cameras atm T.T

22. tobiass

tobiass

Starting the server:
    http://developer.exitgames.com/quickstart/photoninfiveminutes

The MMO application (server logic, client, everything) is pretty advanced. Make sure you start with the simpler applications to get started: Lite, Loadblanacing.

gore23:
    The free license is for up to 100 concurrent users and valid to run on a single machine per game/title. You get the software for free and host yourself.

23. Kainzo

Kainzo

Appreciate the thread, I had similar questions

24. aanimation

aanimation

anyone can share how to start server photon using linux/centos?

25. tobiass

tobiass

26. aanimation

aanimation

thanks Tobiass

tobiass likes this.
  27. ksc_3899

ksc_3899

Is there any video tutorial or anything I can look up at for setting the server? For the latest version. Can you please help?

28. tobiass

tobiass