Search Unity

Third Party Photon PUN+

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by tobiass, Oct 9, 2013.

1. tobiass

tobiass

Photon PUN+
    PUN implements Unity's well known networking API on top of Photon. Keeping the API simple, this gives you dedicated servers (OnPremise or in Photon Cloud), fixes, tweaks and ongoing support.
    This package contains a setup wizard, the fully integrated API, Editor extensions and the client library. It's compatible with the Photon Cloud Service, so you don't even have to setup a server!

Photon Unity Networking Plus (short: PUN+) enables exports to Android and iOS from Unity 4.7.x Free and upgrades a Photon Cloud Free Subscription to 100 concurrent users for a one-time price. The CCU upgrade stacks with a paid subscription.
    Unity 5 does not need a special Unity license to export PUN to mobiles!

PUN+ v1.69 supports IPv6 on iOS in Unity 4.7.1.

Get PUN+ now for $95 in the Asset Store.

cloud-banner.jpg

The Small Print
    The upgrade of a Free Photon Cloud Subscription is not fully automated. Please follow the simple instructions in the readme.txt.
    Only one Free Subscription can be upgraded for one title/game. This offer can not be applied to Photon Server licenses.
    Any number of titles/games can be exported to iOS and Android with PUN+ of course.

Compatibility
    PUN+ is compatible with the free PUN package. Both use the same API and will be updated alongside each other but you should make sure you use one or the other.
    PUN+ in Unity 4.7 can't use TCP as protocol. All exports with the native plugins must use our reliable UDP protocol.
    Photon Chat is now included!

Updates and Change Log
    Always backup your project before updating PUN. Read the changelog.txt which is in the package.

Feedback is welcome! Just reply here.
    This post will be edited over time with more info, updates, etc.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
    Akusan and Pulov like this.
  2. BFGames

BFGames

Awesome!

3. tobiass

tobiass

4. tobiass

tobiass

I just uploaded a new version.
    The biggest change is that we now have a "Unreliable On Change" mode for syncing positions or script-created updates in PhotonViews. It's the default case for new PhotonViews. With it, updates are sent unreliably while the sent data changes. When the logic detects that nothing changed, it sends a final update as reliable and skips further updates until the synced data changes again from update to update. With the final reliable update we make sure all clients get the final state before we drop sending news (which aren't news at all). This is (e.g.) good for objects that sometimes move but also might stop moving.

Check out the other news, too:

v1.24 (18. October 2013)
    Changed: CustomTypes is now endianness independent and also streamlined
    Added: New synchronization mode "Unreliable On Change". It's basically a mixed mode which uses unreliable when things change. When the data doesn't change, it's sent a last time in a reliable mode, so everyone gets the final state for sure. Then, similar updates will be skipped. This can be applied to anything observed: Transforms, Rigidbodies and even scripts.
    Changed: The new "Unreliable On Change" observe mode is the default for any new PhotonView. Existing PhotonViews on prefabs are not changed but you might consider doing this for objects that might stop moving / change.
    Added: New internal values for PhotonViews.
    Added: JoinRoom option to create a room if it doesn't exist currently.
    Changed: JoinRoom calls OnCreatedRoom() if the room was created due to JoinRoom() option "createIfNotExists"
    Added: Room.SetPropertiesListedInLobby() to set the list of properties sent to a lobby. This is useful when createIfNotExists creates a new room and you want specific properties shown in the room listing.
    Changed: PingCloudRegions and RPC class conditional compilation to: #if !(UNITY_WINRT || UNITY_WP8 || UNITY_PS3 || UNITY_WIIU)
    Updated: To new Photon assembly v3.2.2.1.

5. WildMaN

WildMaN

Hi,

Purchased the plugin and very disappointed cause it does not work :(

The standard code:

_peer = new PhotonPeer(Instance, ConnectionProtocol.Tcp);
    _peer.Connect(serverAddress, applicationName);

Runtime results:

Connect() failed, because SocketImplementation or socket was null. Set PhotonPeer.SocketImplementation before Connect().

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    ExitGames.Client.Photon.EnetPeer.DispatchIncomingCommands ()
    ExitGames.Client.Photon.PhotonPeer.DispatchIncomingCommands ()
    ExitGames.Client.Photon.PhotonPeer.Service ()

And googling "PhotonPeer.SocketImplementation" yielded nothing. I've tried a piece of code from NetworkingPeer.cs, it helps to avoid runtime error but also Connect() fails silently.

#if UNITY_EDITOR || (!UNITY_IPHONE !UNITY_ANDROID !UNITY_PS3)
    Debug.Log("Using C# Socket");
    this.SocketImplementation = typeof(SocketUdp);
    #elif !UNITY_EDITOR UNITY_PS3
    Debug.Log("Using class SocketUdpNativeDllImport");
    this.SocketImplementation = typeof(SocketUdpNativeDllImport);
    #elif !UNITY_EDITOR UNITY_ANDROID
    Debug.Log("Using class SocketUdpNativeDynamic");
    this.SocketImplementation = typeof(SocketUdpNativeDynamic);
    #elif !UNITY_EDITOR UNITY_IPHONE
    Debug.Log("Using class SocketUdpNativeStatic");
    this.SocketImplementation = typeof(SocketUdpNativeStatic);
    #endif

6. tobiass

tobiass

TCP is not supported by PUN+ at this point. I admit: We forgot to point this out clearly.

We don't think it's a big loss though, because our Reliable UDP protocol gives you more options and is reliable on demand.
    Please give the default UDP protocol a try. If it's no fit for you, mail us and we find a solution: developer@exitgames.com

7. DevionGames

DevionGames

Muss man viel ändern wenn man von pun auf pun+ umsteigen möchte?

8. tobiass

tobiass

"Do I have to change a lot to switch to PUN+?"
    Nope. You don't.
    It's the same api and you basically just replace the libraries and add a few scripts. Everything else stays the same.
    I guess you're ok with an english answer :)

9. DevionGames

DevionGames

Yes sure, thank you, going to buy this soon :D

10. sumitsharma

sumitsharma

Photon PUN+ has 2 main benefits:

Export Photon Unity Networking games to Android and iOS with Unity Free
    Get a 100 CCU lifetime subscription of the Photon Cloud

11. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

I was looking at this asset as I don't have Unity Pro and almost all other networking solutions won't work in Unity free because of the lack of .NET socket support. This looks promising for indie users on the mobile platforms. Do you have an ETA when windows store/WP8 will be supported? I assume it has to do with the different .net classes available in the API on WP8/Win 8. Since one of the platforms for my game will be WP8 this would hold me back from purchasing currently.

I realize product roadmaps are high level I'm just looking for a ballpark answer on if and when there are plans for this product being compatible with the Microsoft mobile platforms.

12. tobiass

tobiass

In theory Win 8 Store and Phone could be supported already. It's a matter of organizing the different files for the platforms.
    You could copy the Win 8 related folders from PUN Free to PUN+ and in theory you're done.

The next release of PUN+ should cover Win 8 Store and Phone out of the box.
    It should be out within a month from now. It depends a bit on demand, found issues, etc.

13. tobiass

tobiass

We are currently looking into some issues with Android exports in Unity 4.3. In some cases, the app will crash with a log entry "Unable to find 'PhotonSocketPlugin'".

I will also post here when we solved this but I'll update this thread most often:
    http://forum.exitgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3456

14. tobiass

tobiass

A short update on the current state of the Android-specific bug. It's a Unity-related issue and Unity 4.2 works in all (known) cases.

Unity Team told me: "... the bug is still not fixed, but it was marked as necessary to fix. So if nothing will change, it should be fixed with the next minor update that we will release."

Sounds good to me. I will get an update when the bug is fixed and will let you know, too.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  15. gecko

gecko

I've found some references to a friends list in the photon forums, but can't find any definitive info about such a thing. Does PUN+ have a way to remember friends, or is that possibly an upcoming feature?

Thanks
    Dave

16. tobiass

tobiass

The friends list is not kept in Photon. But combining Photon to some community with UserIDs you can send the list to find out if one of your friends is online and in which game he/she is.

Check PhotonNetwork.FindFriends() and the callback (which you have to implement) OnUpdatedFriendList() as well as PhotonNetwork.Friends.

17. drkow19

drkow19

Update to Unity 4.3.3 is out, and it fixes the PUN+ Android bug. Tested it myself.

18. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Just checking in a few months later to see if this is still anticipated somewhere in the pipeline out of the box? The asset store still shows the same version so I assume WP8/win store are not yet incorporated without the need for modifying the package.

19. tobiass

tobiass

I am in the final stage of releasing an update which also supports Windows 8 Store and Phone in PUN+.
    We had a bit of feature creep (adding just one feature more before release) and now we want to make extra sure we didn't introduce issues in some exports.
    I said this before but: It's coming :)

20. tobiass

tobiass

I just updated the PUN and PUN+ packages in the Asset Store to v1.25.
    This update has a long change list and even a few breaking changes compared to v1.24. Before you update, make sure to backup your work (as always).

The list of changes is too long to repeat here (it's in the initial post) but some highlights that come to my mind now:
    PUN and PUN+ are more compatible with each other and the PUN+ will now also export to Windows 8 Store and Phone.
    JoinOrCreate is a new and simpler method to get into a room once your players decided on a roomname. You can set room properties for creation, too.
    Support for multiple lobbies and types of lobbies. The two available types are what you know already and the new SQL-Typed lobby for more elaborate matchmaking.
    RaiseEvent offers a way to send your own, custom messages to the others without the PhotonView context. This alternative communication is not depending on scenes and GOs.
    Fixed some (but most likely not all) issues with offline mode.

If you can: Read the changelog!
    More info coming...

21. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Great to here WP8 and Windows store is now officially supported in PUN+. Purchasing now :)

22. Rapskalian

Rapskalian

This problem has been fixed in Unity 4.3.3 as noted here.

23. Brock-Bondo

Brock-Bondo

Man, I just paid $95 for Photon+ and integrated it into my game. Then right now....your networks are down with no notification on why. What's up?

24. tobiass

tobiass

Our networks are down? Our monitoring and counters are suggesting something else. If it was down, we would surely notice.
    It's more likely something in the import got broken. You need to make extra sure you get the PUN+ files in your project. If an import is not doing that, you can import PUN+ to another project, then use the Explorer/Finder to copy the PUN+ files to your project. Exclude *.meta files but make sure to replace dlls and cs files. In best case, also don't replace PhotonServerSettings.asset.

Did you try to import PUN+ into a new, empty project and use one of our demos with your AppId?

25. tobiass

tobiass

26. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

Hi tobiass would it be possible on the photon setting panel of unity to have an option to add id key and select the platform?

27. tobiass

tobiass

Damien: You can set the AppId in the panel. Open it, click "setup" and there is an AppId input. Don't forget to save.
    Alternatively select the PhotonServerSettings file in the project and edit it in the inspector. This is what the PUN Wizard writes.

The platform selection does not really matter for the networking, except for the few cases, where the respective Unity license is missing and compile is not possible.
    Which platforms do you want to select?

28. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

i was thinking about having for example a key for android and a key for IOS,
    like #IF UNITY ANDROID
    useandroidKey
    #IF UNITY IOS
    useiosKey

29. tobiass

tobiass

We usually prefer to have one key per game title. No matter which platform.
    If you want to separate users per platform, just use different game version strings in the connect-methods. Then you can easily do this per platform with conditional compilation.

At the moment, I am not yet convinced this is something I should build into the Wizard. You should be able to work around this however by assigning one AppId or another by code before you connect. A bit hack-ish but ok.

30. Brock-Bondo

Brock-Bondo

Oops sorry, I didn't mean to troll and disappear. Have had no network issues since that night. Using PUN+ has sped up enabling multiplayer in my program immensely. Thanks for the status page so I can check if I run into anything strange in the future. And I appreciate the fact that you make yourself available here! Cheers

31. tobiass

tobiass

I just updated PUN+ to v1.26.1.
    Asset Store: http://u3d.as/5Ap

Instead of boring the hell out of you, let me summarize some highlights of the new release:
    New Pickup Demo: Concurrent pickup, score per player and teams! Includes easy to re-use components for your game.
    Best Region hosting type automatically pings the Photon Cloud regional servers and selects best. On all supported platforms.
    New components: SupportLogger, ShowInfoOfPlayer, InRoomRoundTimer.
    The RPC List will now be sorted alphabetically when you re-build it. This breaks compatibility to older clients but is better when you accidentally didn't sync it between copies of your project.
    Updates to offline mode.
    Additional features for PhotonPlayer class, like GetNext() and TagObject.
    Updated reference documentation. Reworked all descriptions of PhotonNetworkingMessage and RoomOptions.

We are working on making Photon Chat compatible with PUN+.

For more details, have a look at the changelog.txt.
    Make sure to backup your project before you update (as always).

32. tobiass

tobiass

I just updated PUN+ to v1.27.
    Asset Store: http://u3d.as/5Ap

v1.27 (15. September 2014)
    Updated: Chat can now be used with PUN+ (after you updated the Chat API to v4.0.0.3)! Updated assemblies and native plugins for PUN+.
    Added: ServerSettings for PUN+ will not allow you to use TCP. PUN+ uses reliable UDP. Added a note about this fact in the inspector for ServerSettings files.
    Added: When switching the protocol for self-hosted server in ServerSettings, the port is switched to fit the new protocol, unless it was a custom port already.
    Fixed: Issue with "Best Region" hosting option and wrong AppIds. In this case, we now disconnect and call OnFailedToConnectToPhoton(DisconnectCause.InvalidAuthentication) and disconnect. Also, no pinging is done in this error case.
    Changed: When calling Connect*(null), the PhotonNetwork.gameVersion is not changed. You could set it once in a project and leave it alone in Connect*().
    Added: PhotonNetwork.gameVersion caches the game version that gets set via any of the Connect-methods. This can be useful when a client needs to re-connect.
    Internal: The two internal cleanup methods LeftRoomCleanup() and LeftLobbyCleanup() are no longer called from various places but only on disconnect (which happens when you leave a room, too) and LeaveLobby(). This is cleaner internally.
    Added: OnConnectionFail callback with the case DisconnectCause.AuthenticationTicketExpired. This is a rare disconnect cause which usually means our server's timing is mixed up or your client uses a very (!) old authentication ticket. Handle this by connecting again (which will do a fresh authenticate).
    Changed: The callback OnPhotonInstantiate is now called via GameObject.SendMessage() like any other callback (as listed by enum PhotonNetworkingMessage). OnPhotonInstantiate can be a coroutine. If your implementation has 0 parameters it will be fine, too.
    Updated: To latest Photon Unity dll v4.0.0.3. This now tries to tell the server when the client timed out (used in counters to analyze issues) and it uses a newer native-socket-api. This is incompatible with older libs in Assets\Plugins\Android and Assets\Plugins\iOS! Update all when you use PUN+.

33. rileydabozo

rileydabozo

Just to be clear; you only get 100 CCU on one app when you buy PUN+? It doesn't allow you 100 for every app, and you need to buy individual ones for every app?

34. tobiass

tobiass

Yes.
    Some context: The 100 CCU for one app are free forever. You can build a game, sell it and your players can match and play via our servers. You never pay for the first 100 CCU again. We run and maintain machines and Photon for that.
    You are still free to develop more games with the 20 CCU free subscriptions. You can up- and downgrade subscriptions when you need to.
    We count concurrent users, playing at the same time. As not everyone plays all day and not at the same time of day, you will need way more sales than 100 copies.

With PUN+, you also get to export your multiplayer game to Android and iOS from Unity Free. It works around a limitation due to Unity's mobile licensing.

35. dayero

dayero

I'd like to have some clarifications on the 100 CCU forever. I understand you can't swap your 100 CCU plan from one app to the other. But say, i have an app with the 100 CCU upgraded but I never release it, or maybe I do but it fails miserably and I decide to turn off multiplayer entirely because the playerbase is exactly zero. Is it possible to reuse the 100 CCU app id then or is supposed to die with the dead project? I ask because it kinda discourages upgrading early.

Also, if I wanted to use Photon Chat alongside Pun+, I would need the same CCU plan or I might run out of allowed chat connections?

36. tobiass

tobiass

@dayero: It's fine if you use the 100 CCU for one title at any time. We don't really know which game you link it with initially. Don't worry.
    For Photon Chat, you would need about the same CCUs, yes. There is a 100 CCU subscription for it for $45 one time (!) that matches the PUN+ subscription.

37. dayero

dayero

Thanks for the quick answer. I already have one Pun+ subscription and was considering just using the generous 500msg/s limit to implement a custom chat. But I will definitely check out Photon Chat now. Since it's really a fully usable life time subscription on both products, it's easily worth investing the extra 45$ and saving all that time otherwise spent coding my own solution.

38. tobiass

tobiass

Using Photon Chat also has the benefit that it is room-independent. E.g. you can chat with your team while they join or finish another game.
    As always, you can try it out for free and without obligation.

39. dayero

dayero

I just tried it, but I am getting an error message.
    I have a project with a freshly imported Pun+ without demos. I copied the PhotonChatApi into Assets/Plugins and created a fresh scene with just the ChatGui.cs attached to it.

The error message i am getting is:
    ---
    ChatClient could not find a suitable C# socket class. The Photon3Unity3D.dll only supports native socket plugins.
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    ExitGames.Client.Photon.Chat.ChatClient:Connect(String, ConnectionProtocol, String, String, String, AuthenticationValues) (at Assets/Plugins/PhotonChatApi/ChatClient.cs:126)
    ExitGames.Client.Photon.Chat.ChatClient:Connect(String, String, String, AuthenticationValues) (at Assets/Plugins/PhotonChatApi/ChatClient.cs:91)
    ChatGui:Start() (at Assets/Scripts/ChatGui.cs:69)

No socket implementation set for 'NoSocket' assembly. Please contact Exit Games.
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    ExitGames.Client.Photon.Chat.ChatClient:Connect(String, ConnectionProtocol, String, String, String, AuthenticationValues) (at Assets/Plugins/PhotonChatApi/ChatClient.cs:131)
    ExitGames.Client.Photon.Chat.ChatClient:Connect(String, String, String, AuthenticationValues) (at Assets/Plugins/PhotonChatApi/ChatClient.cs:91)

Connect() failed, because SocketImplementation or socket was null. Set PhotonPeer.SocketImplementation before Connect().
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    ExitGames.Client.Photon.Chat.ChatClient:ExitGames.Client.Photon.IPhotonPeerListener.DebugReturn(DebugLevel, String) (at Assets/Plugins/PhotonChatApi/ChatClient.cs:488)
    ExitGames.Client.Photon.EnetPeer:Connect(String, String)
    ExitGames.Client.Photon.PhotonPeer:Connect(String, String)
    ExitGames.Client.Photon.Chat.ChatClient:Connect(String, ConnectionProtocol, String, String, String, AuthenticationValues) (at Assets/Plugins/PhotonChatApi/ChatClient.cs:159)
    ---

Did i miss something or is the chat demo not supposed to be used like this?

40. tobiass

tobiass

41. dayero

dayero

42. tobiass

tobiass

Yes, that should work.

43. dayero

dayero

I just replaced the Photon3Unity3d.dll delivered with Pun 1.28.3 with the one in the Photon-Chat demo project and it works :)
    Since the first is from v4.0.0.5 and the latter from v.4.0.0.4: did you maybe accidentally undo/revert the bugfix in the new version?
    Or is Photon3Unity3d.dll intentionally different in PhotonChat and PhotonRealtime?

44. tobiass

tobiass

Good you could fix it!
    I am not aware of a revert and in theory the new chat files should be fully compatible with either PUN Free or PUN+. Sometimes I have the impression that imports don't update everything they should and maybe something gut mixed up and broke chat.

45. zorgonski

zorgonski

Hello,

I’m using unity 4.6 (it was happening in 4.5.5 but i upgraded yesterday to see if anything changes) and the latest Photon PUN+ available (v1.28.3). I can connect (although some users reported inability to join the rooms) but I’m getting the following disturbing errors if I look at the log in terminal. Why i it trying to load the library a bunch of times in a row? I only call PhotonNetwork.ConnectUsingSettings(); once.

I/Unity (11045): Using class SocketUdpNativeDynamic
    D/dalvikvm(11045): Trying to load lib /data/app-lib/com.myapp/libPhotonSocketPlugin.so 0x0
    D/dalvikvm(11045): Added shared lib /data/app-lib/com.myapp/libPhotonSocketPlugin.so 0x0
    D/dalvikvm(11045): No JNI_OnLoad found in /data/app-lib/com.myapp/libPhotonSocketPlugin.so 0x0, skipping init
    D/dalvikvm(11045): Trying to load lib /data/app-lib/com.myapp/libPhotonSocketPlugin.so 0x0
    D/dalvikvm(11045): Shared lib '/data/app-lib/com.myapp/libPhotonSocketPlugin.so' already loaded in same CL 0x0
    D/dalvikvm(11045): Shared lib '/data/app-lib/com.myapp/libPhotonSocketPlugin.so' already loaded in same CL 0x0
    D/dalvikvm(11045): Trying to load lib /data/app-lib/com.myapp/libPhotonSocketPlugin.so 0x41e3d380
    W/dalvikvm(11045): Shared lib '/data/app-lib/com.myapp/libPhotonSocketPlugin.so' already opened by CL 0x0; can't open in 0x41e3d380
    D/dalvikvm(11045): Trying to load lib /data/app-lib/com.myapp/libPhotonSocketPlugin.so 0x41e3d380
    W/dalvikvm(11045): Shared lib '/data/app-lib/com.myapp/libPhotonSocketPlugin.so' already opened by CL 0x0; can't open in 0x41e3d380
    E/Unity (11045): Unable to find PhotonSocketPlugin

E/Unity (11045): Unable to find PhotonSocketPlugin

I/Unity (11045): Photon OnJoinedLobby()

46. zorgonski

zorgonski

Forgot to mention: the device is Google Nexus 7

47. tobiass

tobiass

As far as I know, those errors are just annoying but not a problem. I have no clue why this happens but as you say, a connection is possible.

As far as I know, this issue is maybe an exporter problem of Unity for Android. It's good that you updated to 4.6 as that will get some attention and fixes.
    Please report this as bug to Unity. You can include the project and include our mail address in the message you write. If there are questions, Unity can mail to developer@exitgames.com

That some players can't connect should not be related unless the loading of this lib will fail continuously on their devices. It would be great to have some logs from those players. I hope you are working with beta users who might send some log?!

48. tobiass

tobiass

I just updated the PUN+ package to v1.50. There are a lot of new features and several new demos. The only downside is it's exported with Unity 4.3.4. We hope everyone is using at least that version.

49. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

where can we get the details of changelog?
    new ChatApi will fix the problem with skyarena chat ?

50. tobiass

tobiass

Changelog is in this post and in the package.
    Chat in PUN+ is fixed.
    There will be an update of SkyArena with the new PUN soon but copying the files over the ones in SkyArena will fix Chat there, too. If you are unsure what to copy, please just bear with Oliver for a few days and wait for the update.