Search Unity

Pegasus - no fuss cutscene and flythrough generator

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, Aug 30, 2016.

1. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

That is a crackingly good idea. Will be spending a day on Pegasus next week. Will see if i can add it in :)

2. sarum

sarum

3. Volkerku

Volkerku

I just updated Pegasus to current version (including the Unity update to latest version) and can't run Pegasus (or anything else for that matter). Get the following error messages from compiler:
    Failed to unload 'ProjectSettings/UnityAdsSettings.asset'
    Assets/Pegasus/Scripts/TriggerControlHeliosFade.cs(4,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UtopiaWorx' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?
    Assets/Pegasus/Scripts/TriggerControlHeliosFade.cs(19,16): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `HeliosUtility' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Help pls.

4. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

I have to say after playing around with the triggerbase.cs I'm loving Pegasus, more and more.

One thing when making my featured asset video I wanted to do, but in my hurry to get it out didn't was have a Gui image fade in at the beginning of my first POI, then fade out at my last one, before starting the level, though i did add two arrays for items to enable, and one for things to disable which worked awesome on my last POI for changing cameras, turning off effects, and turning on my player.

I added the ability to fade in and fade out last night, and WOW!.lol

I just gotta say I love this asset, especially what can be done with it. I love that the time between POI's is show in the inspector, as that was good forsight on Adams part, as it allows me to know exactly how much time I have to crossfade my fade in/out image.

Just had to pop in and give my 2 cents.

Great work Adam.

BackwoodsGaming and AdamGoodrich like this.
  5. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

If you would be happy to share your scripts I can include in the next version :)

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  6. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Sure. Here ya go.

Attached Files:

7. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Why did you put this in the base class of all triggers ?

8. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Probably just because i didn't know any better.lol

I now realized I probably shoulda just derived from it, sorry.

But it at least shows what can be done at any rate.:D

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    BackwoodsGaming and AdamGoodrich like this.
  9. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Test post - for some reason I can no longer post in Gaia forum.

10. Captain-Cutwood

Captain-Cutwood

First attempt at using Pegasus and it worked wonders at level I have never achieved before when trying to move a camera over rolling landscapes. You have really created something here that can be called an advance on a par with the invention of the electric light bulb.

The technical problem you or someone might be able to help me with as I'm fairly new to Unity is that as my camera flies over the Gaia terrain, mostly sand hills for test purposes, the landscape flickers with black areas sort of popping in and out and revealing the shaded surfaces underlying mesh polygons, verts, and edges. I've tried different levels of culling the camera, but still get this disturbance - not good. I have a fast video card Nvidia GTX970 and an i7 intel CPU with 8 GB of memory, so I think my machines should be doing this without the bust up. It does games well, so this must be something I don't have set up correctly with lighting or rendering or so many other settings. Any suggestions of how to tweak this appreciated.

Lastly for tonight and into the future I want to express my sense of almost childhood like happiness with using Pegasus, it's magic.

AdamGoodrich and kurotatsu like this.
  11. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

This is usually caused by shadow bias - check this out : https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ShadowOverview.html

12. Captain-Cutwood

Captain-Cutwood

Attached Files:

13. mk1978

mk1978

Was there some solution created for this kind of Pause? I know that this can be done with scripting but naturally it would be much easier to have built in the tool.

kurotatsu likes this.
  14. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Its on my list of things to add, but am busy with Gaia 2.0 at moment. Will put this in on the next release.

kurotatsu likes this.
  15. mk1978

mk1978

Sounds good, thanks!

kurotatsu likes this.
  16. mattbuehler

mattbuehler

Hi Adam!

I've also bought Pegasus - really cool tools you have!

Would it be possible to have per POI text objects (floating in 3d space) above the yellow bubble that show e.g. the current POI's start time?

[ I also have an other idea .. but that may be trickier .. ]

Please let me know!

Cheers! :)
    matt

kurotatsu and AdamGoodrich like this.
  17. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

That's a cool idea - I will add it to the dev list :)

18. mattbuehler

mattbuehler

very cool!

I'm mentioning the second idea .. just so you have it ..

I'd like:
    -----------
    MAIN-POIs (defining path 'sections')
    and
    INTERMEDIATE POIs

Then:
    - Each Main POI gets a time when it's reached (set manually)
    - Each Intermediate POI gets a speed weight (e.g. bubble size)
    ==> Then per 'section', the speed weights are evaluated and the respective speed set by the system at each Intermediate POI.

This would make sure that the timing is always right and the system balances the individual speeds as opposed to fine-tuning the speeds manually.

Makes sense? :)
    Just as a thought and input.

Thanks for all your help and great work!
    matt

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  19. mattbuehler

mattbuehler

ignore post.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  20. mattbuehler

mattbuehler

hi Adam,

I have been working with the plugin now for hours and hours, but I have some quite serious issues with values that randomly variate and don't seem to get updated perfectly. I have time differences after pressing play and checking the same POI time of multiple seconds. I need very precise timing, but it's impossible to track the issue down, as the values jump in time.
    I've also had a garbled pegasus manager that I could not fix and had to restart (1] target object stopped moving and 2] when trying to fix it with a duplicate of the manager, I had cyan lines going to the world origin, plus null pointers) ... I can make some bug reports, but I'm right in front of a deadline ... cheers, m.

21. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

In all my testing the times have been good. I added the times as an afterthought as I thought they might be useful to someone. Best way to force them to refresh across the entire Pegasus is to select the Pegasus itself.

Not sure about duplication - never tested this to be honest as it wasn't a use case that occurred to me.

22. mattbuehler

mattbuehler

hi .. thanks for the quick reply! I'm ignoring the small time deltas now. using just the main speeds seems to work relatively good now. I was just puzzled for hours, why I have multi-second time shifts... :(

thanks for the tip for the update by selecting the pegasus, that's important to know.

[ the reason I'll need a duplicate is because I need two audio versions (languages), with most probably minor timing changes .. ]

It's just that my project needs a 5:30min animation with very precise timing. :)

thanks - as always! m.

23. AmeroElessar

AmeroElessar

Hey I'm having trouble getting pegasus and helios working together since there's pretty much no documentation apart from the helios page saying to 'use the prefab'. What do I do with that prefab exactly? Does it matter where I put it? Sorry for being so naive, I'm sure it's something simple!

At the moment I just have a FPC created by gaia but with the controller part disabled so pegasus can do it's thing.

24. pleribus77

pleribus77

Have just been using pegasus to do a fly around of an object, including some up close details.

I left this running for about an hour and on return found the camera was pointing much lower than was set by the targets.

It appears there is an accumulation error of some sort occuring (each loop of the path seems to point camera's lower and lower)

I'm keen to use this for a product demonstration that will be running for extended periods, but this error is a show stopper for this particular use case.

25. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Sorry - didn't get notified about this. Yes - the issue is that the Helios prefab isn't configured correctly. Not in front of dev computer at moment. But there are a few things you need to do to maker this work - will update this post tomorrow with the relevant settings.

This seems odd - the path is actually generated once on startup, and never updated afterwards. I have not tried extended playback however so I will look into it and see if i can replicate it.

26. pleribus77

pleribus77

Thanks, a simple looped path around a shape should suffice, each node has a target pointed to the object in question. I'll do same this end in a fresh project to confirm it's not result of something project specific (not that I have anything else impacting camera that I can see)

27. mk1978

mk1978

Just a thought. I had similar type of problems also when using Pegasus and Helios. I felt that the animation target was getting late from the original animation path. I was able solve this by making sure that both Pegasus and Helios use the same fps. Originally I had set 30fps in Pegasus and 60fps in Helios and this was causing the out of sync issue.

28. pleribus77

pleribus77

FWIW this is just real-time playback, currently set to max fps - will look into fps settings on this end tomorrow though.

29. Sp-ce

Sp-ce

Hello,

Does Pegasus handle linear motion well? Have a simple travel scene with the camera moving from the left to the right over 4 min. I want to show off the landscape.

I'm having huge issues with camera stutter regarding linear motion. Will this be solved with Pegasus?

Thanks!

30. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yes pegasus handles this well - and has both mathematically correct lerping - as well as a user controlled smoothing system on top of that.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  31. Sp-ce

Sp-ce

Hi Adam,

Thanks! I'll buy it. :)

32. Dysseus

Dysseus

I would like to buy this asset but first I have to know if there's a way to make the Pegasus Target Lookat follow a transform

33. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Not at this point. I can add this to the dev backlog as a feature if you would like.

34. Volkerku

Volkerku

Feature request:
    - ability to pause the camera on the spot (speed zero)
    - ability to pan the camera on the spot

Otherwise great tool.
    Volker

AdamGoodrich and mk1978 like this.
  35. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I have added this to the dev roadmap :)

36. FalconCGN

FalconCGN

Hello Adam,

Thanks for the good work on Pegasus. It is really fun to work with it.

I do have a problem though as soon as I switch "Check Height" to "Terrain" in the Pegasus Manager under Advanced. Then the system is really slow. It seems there is a bug somehow.

Could you please have a look at that? The scene I am working with is pretty large (256 Terrain chunks) with a total size of 4000 x 4000 km. Maybe that is part of the problem.

Regards,
    Sebastian

37. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I will take a look.

38. sendjanaemail

sendjanaemail

This is a great asset! It is easy to set up as well, like Gaia and Gena, it is intuitive. One issue I have is stuttering during fly through. I'm running a good workstation, and have no issues with sluggishness of programs, so am not sure why. I'm positive the issue is with me and not the software!

39. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yes this is a problem with Unity itself.

I did extensive profiling during development and the culprit is culling. When you are down at ground level and not moving that fast Unity handles it ok. When you are zooming around it becomes really apparent. I spoke to a Unity engineer about this and he confirmed it.

You can possibly reduce by changing lods, reducing grass visibility and density... or if you are making cutscene videos then use Helios.

Helios is an offline renderer and they were designed to work together and are nicely integrated.

Helios will take one picture per frame and the put them back together as a buttery smooth video with zero stutter.

40. luis29vm

luis29vm

Hello I have noobs questions, 1.- I setup the pegasus and works very good my question is where this video is save and how I can get the Record video file? I want to post the video on youtube, but i dont know where is the video, 2.- I buy helios but i really dont know how to setup this 2 assets peg+helios can you make a tutorial? im sure many people want buy this but is not documentation how to get this work properly. Thank you

41. ladfoo

ladfoo

Hi there. I'm trying to record pegasus generated scene with Helios. I've added the helios2d_pegasus prefab into the scene and replaced that as the camera that the (main) Pegasus Manager manager uses.

Helios records about 25 frames then I get the following unity error that seems to be pointing to pegasus...
    ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
    Parameter name: index
    System.Collections.Generic.List`1[UnityEngine.Vector3].get_Item (Int32 index) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/List.cs:633)
    Pegasus.PegasusPoi.CalculatePositionLinear (Single percent) (at Assets/Pegasus/Scripts/PegasusPoi.cs:652)
    Pegasus.PegasusPoi.CalculateProgress (Single percent, System.Single& velocity, UnityEngine.Vector3& position, UnityEngine.Quaternion& rotation) (at Assets/Pegasus/Scripts/PegasusPoi.cs:608)
    Pegasus.PegasusManager.CalculateFlythroughUpdates () (at Assets/Pegasus/Scripts/PegasusManager.cs:1086)
    Pegasus.PegasusManager.LateUpdate () (at Assets/Pegasus/Scripts/PegasusManager.cs:1047)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm simply trying to generate a 2d video from the pegasus fly-through animation.
    Thanks!

42. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I will make a video of how to set this up.

ladfoo likes this.
  43. ladfoo

ladfoo

Thanks so much. The issue may be due to the fact I have another pegasus manager that's running simultaneously (animating a character) and when I enable that, it all falls apart. I look forward to seeing an example of the proper setup - simply an amazing asset - thanks!

44. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Make sure everything is set to run at the same speed. Pegasus has no issues running multiples concurrently and if you look at the demo scene you can see this in action.

45. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

46. luis29vm

luis29vm

Hello Im still not have any succes making video with the Asset pegasus+helios. Is any chance to know if you have time to make the video tutorial how to setup and how to record the video. Thank you

47. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yeah - sorry - been super busy in Gaia 2. There is an obscure setting that is set incorrectly on the Pegasus prefabs that have been included with Helios. It is a simple thing to change, but totally not intuitive. Will make this video for you tomorrow.

48. luis29vm

luis29vm

Thank you, also if you can include how to produce the video, because I dont have any clue xd :)

49. Volkerku

Volkerku

Great tool Paegasus, but I have issues with a camera path going straight down, from camera y-position +50 to -10.
    x and z orientation amnd loction are identical for the two POIs. The camera moves down, but also rotates around the x axis? Any idea ho wto preven this?

50. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I wonder if you have a collider issue in the middle of your path somewhere ?

It's sort of hard to diagnose without more understanding of your environment. Feel free to PM me your address for a Skype chat.