Search Unity

⭕ [FREE] Breakable PBR Barrels & Crates ⭕️

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Graphics_Dev, Feb 4, 2017.

?

What levels of detail are of use to you?

1. Detailed (> 1000 tris on average)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Medium (~500 tris on average

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Mobile-friendly (~100-250 tris on average)

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

Want some PBR barrels and crates for free? See below for details.

cover.png

We are giving away free voucher codes for this asset if you subscribe to our newsletter before we end this giveaway (I will post a comment here when it's over). To subscribe, go to this link and scroll down to the 3D Cartoon Tiles newsletter subscription "form" (or if you want the free demo material from our PBS Materials series, you can subscribe there at the top of the page).

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions for this pack; I greatly appreciate feedback! :)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
    jGate99 likes this.
  2. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

Alright...game's over ;-) Thanks to everyone who participated! We will be sending out vouchers shortly...

3. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

Free voucher for other packs

Next two people to give a (useful) review of this package on the asset store will get a free voucher for one of our other packs. Post here or send us an email after you write the review and let us know which one you want to take advantage of. We will then confirm that you left a useful review and get you your voucher. Your review can praise, critique, or both, but it must be legitimate and in English.

Edit: As of February 25, this deal is still on...we only have one new review...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  4. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

I am waiting for an update to the pack to go through on the asset store. It includes a pickle barrel model that was requested by @siblingrivalry.

Here is an initial render from Cycles:

I will post screenshots of it in Unity in a few minutes :)

5. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

Here is a pic with a low poly version of this barrel and another barrel from the pack in the Viking Village environment by Unity:

Currently, there is only a low poly version of the pickle barrel, but I'll update it with higher-res bakes (using the high-poly model from Cycles) as time allows. Hurry if you want to get this pack for only $0.99 because this update is also raising the price...

6. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

I'm working on this new technique (at least new to me) that allows a model to appear beveled, but without the extra geometry. I first learned about this technique from Quantum Theory (one of the best publishers on the store), and I've spent the last few days learning how to build it myself. The trick is to accurately bake the bevels from the normal map into the normal map that goes along with the model already. Here is an example to show what I mean:

First note how there are no extra edges along the top...

Now see how there is a beveled appearance due to the normal map...

Without the normal map it would look like...

I love this technique, but let me know what you think. The obvious downside is that without normal maps, you lose the beveled look, but if your target devices don't support normal maps on everything, it probably won't perform well with lots of verts either...

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  7. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

Fantastic update.

Are you able to make the versions of the barrels that are breakable or broken?

Graphics_Dev likes this.
  8. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

@siblingrivalry I will look into it...I think I'll need to do some research on the best way to do this, though. I think my modeling software may have some builtin tools to help with this, but it will still take a lot of work.

9. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

@siblingrivalry Here is what I've got (currently only for the new pickle barrel)...

Please let me know what you think.

10. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

@siblingrivalry Here is a fractured crate model...I think I'm going to update the package with just these two and get feedback before I proceed. I'd love to hear your feedback :)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  11. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

looks like a good breakdown. mix of small and larger bits. explosion animation is a bit fast for me to get a good look though.

12. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

@siblingrivalry Actually it is just a script that applies an initial force and the physics engine takes over...I don't know that I can slow it down in Unity (without using time scale), but you can try using the speed controls in YouTube. Are you saying that you think it is too fast as an explosion, though?

13. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

As an explosion, it would be fast. But how about when attacked with blunt force? Could you do a version with larger broken pieces for when hit with an axe for example?

Graphics_Dev likes this.
  14. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

@siblingrivalry I see...that should just be a simple change to the script's values...I'm working on a decent demo script, and I'll show you a video when I get it done.

siblingrivalry likes this.
  15. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

@siblingrivalry Here is a demonstration of where I'm at now...

As you can see from the video, it is now easy to set the force (explosiveness), and I have a few simple scripts set up that allow for hit- and click-based decimation. As always, I'd love to get opinions and feedback. Also, let me know if you have any questions or would like me to make a more in-depth demo video. Using these new explosive barrels opens up a massive amount of potential. I'm envisioning an entire game built around this sort of simple stuff:

In a multiplayer game, see who can find and decimate the most hidden (and not-so-hidden) barrels and crates. Once anyone has a majority, the game is over and the score is tallied based on the number of barrels found...

16. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

@siblingrivalry I've just submitted an update to the store, so you should see that popping up within a week :)

Currently there is a decimated version of the pickle barrel, the metal crate, and two decimated versions of the high-poly wooden crate. More to come, of course, so if anyone would like to chime in and let me know which ones are most important to you, I'm ready to listen ;-)

Finally, if you haven't already purchased this pack, now is the best time to do so because the price is going to increase substantially with this new update.

17. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

@siblingrivalry The update is now available. Be sure to check it out and let me know what you think.

18. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

Great. Fantastic to see so many updates

19. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

Hiw about a barrel with tap and a wooden frame to hold the barrel?
    Thanks

Graphics_Dev likes this.
  20. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

@siblingrivalry I think I'm about done with the modeling...I'll have to work on textures/materials later.

21. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

that is very quick!

the base of the barrel looks like it is coming in to much though. More like a cup shape than like your other barrels.

22. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

@siblingrivalry I think that's just the perspective from the 3D viewport that you are seeing. The main form is roughly symmetrical from top to bottom.

23. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

@siblingrivalry Initial textured version:

I think I'm going to take some extra time to paint some grunge maps as it looks much too clean right now.

24. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

@siblingrivalry

Here is the same model dirtied up a bit :)

I am uploading an asset creation time lapse to YouTube that shows the work put in between this and the previous image. I'll post it here once it's ready. I think some of you will find it interesting...

25. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

Here's the promised time lapse:

Let me know what you think.

26. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

@siblingrivalry What level of detail do you prefer right now for these barrels? I would like to know what the first update with this new model should include.

27. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

looks great, only comment for improvement i would say would be on the bands to add more texture

Graphics_Dev likes this.
  28. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

@siblingrivalry Thanks so much for your feedback! Metals are actually quite difficult until you get the hang of it, but I think this is light years better than before. Let me know what you think, and what poly count I should shoot for in the first release.

29. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

wow that is much better, looks great. I would put a bit more orangey brown in there a little bit for rust maybe.

Poly counts, i would try to keep low. but I am the worst person to give any suggestions.

Graphics_Dev likes this.
  30. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  31. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

those textures look so realistic!

32. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

Showing wireframe...I'll make this the first one, then a mobile one too...

33. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

34. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

Another update coming everyone! Now pending review...

35. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

I don't think the asset store reviews things over the weekend, so unfortunately I don't think the update will go through until mid to late next week...:(

36. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

@siblingrivalry This update finally went through...for some reason the notification email didn't get through to me, so sorry I'm a little late with this post. You can check out all the new stuff as long as you have a compatible version of the editor (5.4 or newer).

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/34608

Thanks to everyone who is supporting this asset!

Edit:

The pack is now on sale for only $0.99! ;)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  37. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

The pack is being put on sale for only $0.05 cents! If you're interested, I don't think the price will ever go below that...:p

I will let you know when it gets through the review process.

38. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

It's now available for only 5 pennies!

We would greatly appreciate it if you would leave us a review if you have a few minutes.

39. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

Well, I thought we were looked over in the sale, but the asset store team just put all of our products on sale. It is kind of comical though to see a 5 cent asset 25% off, but if you are counting pennies, now is the time to buy!

40. wood333

wood333

Errors upon import into Unity 5.5.2f1 B and C errors.JPG

41. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

@wood333 Thanks for the comment! I'll look into this, but all of the errors there are from Unity's standard assets. The tangents warning shouldn't be a major problem, but I'll check that out too.

42. wood333

wood333

Standard assets are part of your package. I removed your package entirely then I deleted (reimporting was not enough) the standard assets images scripts folder in my project folder and then imported the entire standard assets effects folder. That cleared the errors. Then when I reimported your package I first unchecked the demo scenes and the standard assets before import. This way the red errors do not reoccur.

You may need to do something about those standard assets in your project, because they will cause conflicts for some of your customers with other assets in their projects. It's a common problem that we encounter.

43. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

I just installed 5.5.2f1 and imported the package which confirmed the issue. I didn't intend to upload standard assets in the pack as I know how frustrating that can be...I'll submit an update today, but it probably won't go through until next week. I apologize for the inconvenience. If you would like, shoot me an email at assets@integrity-sg.com and I can try to make it right ;-)

wood333 likes this.
  44. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

@wood333 I've also noticed another issue with the breaking metal crate that needs to be fixed, so I'll try to get that done in an update as well.

45. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

@wood333 I have an update on Dropbox, so if you would like to send me an email, I can send you that link as well.

46. wood333

wood333

Actually I'm quite happy with the asset. It wasn't too hard working around the standard asset issue, as I only wanted the barrels and crates. :)
    I already have your materials packs too, and I look forward to working them into the game.

47. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

@wood333 Glad you like it. Regardless, it was my fault that it slipped in there, so if you want a free voucher for another asset or a refund for this one, I'd be glad to do so. Thanks for mentioning the issue.

48. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

@wood333 The update is now live in the store...I hope you never have this problem again in the future. :D

49. wood333

wood333

Thanks for the update! I'll grab it off the asset store.

Also, thanks for the asset/refund offer, but all I need is your continued outstanding support. :)

50. The_Axeman

The_Axeman

HI, Just bought the crates asset.
    Just trying it out in VR and looks good, using the breakable crates.
    Although any the destory after a time doesn't seem to work.
    Apart from that, great stuff.

It's ok, sorted that. Just need to try and adjust how much it takes to smash the crate now.