Search Unity

Overlapped I/O operation is in progress

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Lortimus14, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Lortimus14

Lortimus14

Hi,
    I'm a game dev and have a user getting the following in his logs, which is leading to no input working (keyboard or joystick):

<RI> Initializing input.

<RI> Failed to register devices:
    Overlapped I/O operation is in progress.

(Filename: Line: 982)

<RI> Input initialization failed.

desktop: 1920x1080 60Hz; virtual: 1920x1080 at 0,0
    <RI> Initialized touch support.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this? I've searched all over and don't see a standard solution for this, and "Overlapped I/O operation is in progress." seems like a generic Windows error.

He's on Windows 7, I'm using Unity 5.6.1.f1 and using Rewired for input management, although those calls come after the lines I pasted. I've made sure everything is disabled in device manager except keyboard and still we get this error.

Thanks!

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

This is definitely coming from our code. Looks like this function is failing:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/li...600(v=vs.85).aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

We call it with these parameters:

Code (csharp):
    1.         RAWINPUTDEVICE rawInputDevices[] =
    2.         {
    3.             { 0x01, 0x02, RIDEV_INPUTSINK, window },    // mouse
    4.         };
    6.         if (!RegisterRawInputDevices(rawInputDevices, ARRAYSIZE(rawInputDevices), sizeof(RAWINPUTDEVICE)))
    7.         {
    8.             ErrorString(Format("<RI> Failed to register devices:\r\n%s", WIN_LAST_ERROR_TEXT));
    Which is just registering to receive mouse input. I'm guessing some software on his machine is interfering with this - I can't see any other reason on why that would fail... Could you ask him if he's having issues with any other games and whether he has some kind of weird monitoring/protection program installed on his machine?

3. Lortimus14

Lortimus14

Thanks! Will do