Search Unity

Overhead at 90% for seemingly no reason!

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Treasureman, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Treasureman

Treasureman

My scene was running fairly smoothly at about 20 FPS at its highest settings (which for my computer is pretty good), but then I did one thing that sent my Overhead up to around 85% - 90%. This is all because I added this. There's a camera with an animation of you getting out of a chair, the player GameObject is disabled. When the cameras animation is done, the camera is disabled, and the player is enabled. Simple. So, Why is it that when that animation camera is enabled, the Overhead is at about 90% and runs at 4 FPS at it's LOWEST quality settings! The scene goes back to normal when the player is enabled. Why is it doing this?

2. Jaimi

Jaimi

So you have two cameras running?

3. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

Seems like you have the Animation camera + Player camera running at the same time. When playing the animation camera, disable the player camera. Using multiple cameras is VERY expensive and should almost never be done.

4. Treasureman

Treasureman

No, the play is disable while the animation is running

5. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

The play, or the play camera? Is the play camera disabled?

6. Treasureman

Treasureman

yeah. The animation camera starts enabled, and the player is disabled. I was doing some stuff in the profiler and discovered that it's not having the animation camera enabled that's slowing the game, but have the player disabled.

7. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

How can disabling something give you less FPS? Maybe you have some scripts that need the player to be enabled? Why do you need to disable the player in the first place?

8. Treasureman

Treasureman

It's so you can't move around during the cutscenes. I was able to increase the framerate though by disabling a few things the player can't see at that point.

9. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

Can't you just disable your control script, or put a rigidbody on your player and enable all of its constraints?

You said you gained FPS by disabling things the player can't see. Have you looked into Occlusion Culling? That sounds like what you need.