Search Unity

OSX Case Sensitive File System Not Supported?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by rob122334_122, Nov 9, 2014.

1. rob122334_122

rob122334_122

I downloaded Unity for the first time, installed it, then ran it. It popped up the following message:

"The project is on a case sensitive file system. Case sensitive file systems are not supported at the moment. Please move the project folder to a case insensitive file system."

Seriously??? Or is there something wrong with the installation?

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Seriously. Way too much stuff breaks with a case sensitive file system (not just Unity), so I mostly don't use it, except on one partition. The default on OS X is case insensitive anyway.

--Eric

3. rob122334_122

rob122334_122

Thanks for replying! :)

I'm on my 2nd hard drive and my 3rd OSX version, so at some point I chose a case-sensitive file system - probably a habit after working in the Linux/Unix and embedded worlds for so long.

Can Unity be installed to a disk image that's case-insensitive? Or to a disk connected via FireWire?

4. orb

orb

You can put Unity anywhere, but if it's careless about the config filenames, those must be on a case-insensitive system too. That's wherever your home directory is, plus a licence file on the OS partition.

5. DiscoFever

DiscoFever

WTF Too ..

6. dilbertian

dilbertian

Last night I tried moving my projects over to my Mybook Live NAS which I assume must have a case sensitive file system. When I tried to load one of my projects, after a crash which occurred during the 4.6.1 project upgrade process, I received the following error:

Fatal error!
    The project is on a case sensitive file system.
    Case sensitive file systems are not supported at the moment.
    Please move the project folder to a case insensitive project to a case insensitive file system.

Every time I attempt to open Unity now, I still get the same error.

Q. How can I reset Unity so that it will allow me to open another project as it now appears to automatically attempt to open that same project every time I launch Unity?

7. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Hold down alt when opening. When you get it open, turn "always show project wizard" on in the preferences.

--Eric

8. dilbertian

dilbertian

Eric,

Thanks!

9. mawee

mawee

I use since about ten years os x. Jap, some apps will not run under a case sensitive partition, but meanwhile i don't no other programs that needs a case insensitive partition. Does somebody know what the problem should be to drop the use of a sensitive partition???

10. sworisbreathing

sworisbreathing

I just got this after downloading and installing 5.1.1f1 on my Mac (which does use a case-sensitive filesystem) for the first time.

Yeah, that was pretty much my reaction, albeit with more swearing. I've also uninstalled Unity.

Supporting case-sensitive filesystems should never be in the "too hard" bin.

greay likes this.
  11. zeriph

zeriph

Way too much stuff breaks???? Like what? Unity? How does Qt, or Visual Studio (a Microsoft product), or Xamarin, or XCode, or any web server manage??

"Move the project to a case insensitive file system" is just another way of saying "I'm a developer who literally has NO clue what I'm doing" ... I mean, seriously, C++ `std::fstream` and C `fopen` make a call to the kernel to open a file. The kernel doesn't care, it just looks for a file!

If the file is named "XyZaBc.TxT" but finds "XYZABC.txt" and the file system is case sensitive, it just says "can't find the file" .. And you know what my reaction is: big deal, rename it, open it in the GUI, whatever.

You know what my reaction is when a CROSS PLATFORM TOOL prohibits me from creating a file on a case sensitive file system because it's not supported: "you are a completely inept developer and I have 0 confidence that your cross platform tool will work in any capacity whatsoever. The fact that it even INSTALLED on a case sensitive file system is a miracle, now lets see how quickly I can remove it"

What would you're reaction be to a hammer that could only hammer one type of nail?

justadropofwater and TroyHR like this.
  12. TroyHR

TroyHR

Well said Zeriph....!