Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ORK Okashi RPG Kit for Unity released

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gamingislove, Nov 7, 2010.

1. gamingislove

gamingislove

As far as I have seen they aren't out yet and deliver a more fixed setup, rather than the flixible approach of ORK...
    But I guess it depends on what gameplay type you want to create :)

A little bit of competition is always good, and I believe in my own system to be the better solution for a wide variety of RPGs^^

2. RoyS

RoyS

There's this one http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/79714-RPG-Starter-Package and.. it was "Unity RPG Package - Coming Soon" by Phoenix Developer2, but I can't find it now and search doesn't bring up anything.

So far, it looks like ORK is going to be the one I'll use for my game, but it never hurts to have other tools in the toolbox. I like ORK and the way it was done and would highly recommend it to anyone else and I have recommended it to friends.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  3. joel

joel

I've used ORK for almost a week now. and i must say i really love how it works :D
    Things are very easy to work with, and if you do get stuck somewhere just check out the source of the demo. it shows allot of options already setup.
    From what i've seen in the other RPG kits, they arent really feature complete and lack any real documentation.
    I'm glad i've chosen ORK, and cant wait for future updates ^_^

4. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

ORK is a great kit that resembles RPGMAKER series by ASCII. Which I grew up with. ORK is more geared toward JRPG games versus western RPGs, and I hope you stick with it!

5. DisTrash

DisTrash

Is ORK RPG Kit is free lifetime upgrades after purchase ?

Thanks a lot !!

Best Regards.
    ;) ;) ;) ^^

6. gamingislove

gamingislove

glad you guys enjoy working with ORK :)

@free upgrades
    Updates are free and come on a regular basis - next one will be out within this week.
    Addons, e.g. the upcoming menu system addon, are sold separately to allow people to choose which parts they really need ...

oh yeah, I'm currently waiting for my new macbook pro to be shipped, so official iOS support is on it's way :D

7. RoyS

RoyS

Keep us posted on the update. I definitely want it.

8. Fuzzbling

Fuzzbling

Very cool system. Keep up the great work.

9. drewradley

drewradley

This is absolutely amazing! I've been looking for a system like this for a while now and finally discovered yours. In a matter of minutes I was able to substitute my own models and animations into the sample project. I am primarily a creative type and programming gives me a headache (though I can do a little) so this system is perfect for me. I'll be able to finally create the interactive animations I've been wanting to do for so long!

10. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK 1.0.3 released
    Introducing item recipes and some additions to the event system - number variables and repeating autostart events, use them to e.g. create a hour cycle in your game and let NPC's have a daily routine.

Full changelog:
    • new: Item Recipes: Combine items, weapons and armors to create new items, weapons or armors.
    • new: Game Events: Item recipe steps.
    • new: Number Variables: use the new number variables in the event system and variable conditions to e.g. create a calendar or hour cycle system.
    • new: Game Events: Number variable steps.
    • new: Game Events: Autostart events have now a repeat option.
    • new: Game Events: dialogues have now a close after time option (including optional blocking of the accept key).
    • change: Dialogue display: positions of different dialogue elements are now calculated once, not every GUI call (performance optimization).
    • fix: deleting a language caused errors in some editors.

Already sent out to customers :)

11. RoyS

RoyS

Awesome job, gamingislove! Am looking forward to trying out the "Item Recipes". I love exploring and hunting for objects to craft (combine). Thanks for all the great work on ORK.

12. brianjkd

brianjkd

Great update!

13. gamingislove

gamingislove

Item recipes also support using formulas to calculate if an item can be created - i.e. you can create a status value 'smithery', use it in a formula and use that formula on all weapon/armor item recipes to calculate your smithery chances :)

14. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

How much we looking for menu add-on?

15. drewradley

drewradley

This just keeps getting more and more awesome.

16. drewradley

drewradley

If you're like me and have already printed out the manual, you may be interested in a PDF I created of just the new information from this update:

http://www.box.net/shared/a726ip8o29

I'm pretty sure I got all the updates, but it's possible I missed some. If you find anything I missed, please let me know and I'll fix it. In any case I'll leave it up until the next update or Gaming Is Love asks me to take it down. BTW, Gaming is Love, you're more then welcome to put a copy on your web site. After all, it is your documents. I just extracted the pages with the new information on them and deleted anything else and made one PDF of all of them.

17. n321

n321

Wow. He added the inventory code to give an array of the current items in the party's inventory. SO now all that we would need to do for a menu based inventory system is create a GUI that displays the contents of that array.....*runs to see if EZGUI will work with ORK and create own menu system*

18. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

I would love to see your own menu system for UI similar to EZGUI

19. RoyS

RoyS

Thanks drewradley. That also frees up gamingislove to spend his time working on ORK instead of updating docs.

20. drewradley

drewradley

You're very welcome but he already updated the documents. I just extracted the new info from it. I wanted them for myself and figured others would like to have the addendum as well.

21. Lioncirth

Lioncirth

Hi

I am interested in this.

Does anyone know how easy it would be to add in some prefabs from GamePrefabs?

Im interested in using this system with a couple of scripts on there

22. n321

n321

As far as I know ORK should work just fine with EZGUI. EZGUI will just pull its data from code that ORK makes available. (Like the inventory array.) I will do some work this weekend on it and see what I can get working. I took a look at it last night and got EZGUI to display some basic things but I would like to replace all of the GUI in ORK with EZGUI and SM2. Should not be too hard as the origional GUI code can be used as a reference. The only issue is this would require anyone who uses it to own EZGUI and SM2.

If I can get somthing working I will see if gamingislove wants to release it as a branch of ORK...or if I can release it for free to people who own ORK. Either way, ORK is his product and this EZGUI implementation will contain some of his code so he will get to decide what can be done with it. I am looking at it for my own project but I am happy to give out what ever code I write as long as gamingislove approves.

23. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

gamingislove should get their own Private forum for owners to share code and public for people interested in the product.

24. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

@n321
    i am interested in your solution and also own licenses of ezgui and sm2

25. Lioncirth

Lioncirth

Thats cool

The main thing I would like it to work with is the Achievement system script, as I think the combination would be great!

26. joel

joel

or the ability to have multiplayer :p

27. gamingislove

gamingislove

@drewradley
    good idea to get together the changes in a single doc, guess I'll also do that on the next update...
    but you forgot the dialogue step changes :D

@n321
    inventory codes where there all along, you should've checked the scripting documentation.
    getting EZGUI and ORK working together should be pretty simple, all you need to change are the GUI classes of ORK, since all GUI handling is done via them (and most of it through the MultiLabel class) - it's just drawing the box and labels for icon/text.

I'll look into the GUI stuff myself after the menu system is done, just received my macbook pro and will get my hands on one of those ipads for testing :)

@lioncirth
    I can't really say for all of them, but most of them should be easy to change - all there is to do is have their execution be bound to ORKs game mode (e.g. battle, field, menu, etc.), which is done with a simple if-case. See the scripting documentation for details.

also, having ORK work together with the achievement system is already possible - ORKs event system can use SendMessage and BroadcastMessage to call methods of other scripts on gameobjects.

@digitalshock
    I'm onto that after the menu system, so many things to do, so little time ...

@joel
    multiplayer is waaaaay in the future :p

28. drewradley

drewradley

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me. Where is that? Save me the trouble of scouring the docs again. :)

29. gamingislove

gamingislove

That's in the event system documentation, chapter 1.14 show dialogue step, page 11 :)

If anyone has trouble with gizmo icons since Unity 3.2 there is a simple solution - seems like projectors (e.g. blob shadows) mess up the icons once one is in a scene. To get this working again, simply remove the projector resources and reimport them (Assets > Import Package > Projectors). Everything should be working fine after that.

30. drewradley

drewradley

Wow! How did I miss such awesome changes! Anyway, I updated the addendum I made to include this. To save you all the trouble of going back a page to find it, here is the link: http://www.box.net/shared/a726ip8o29

It's the same one as before with the additional options for Show Dialog Step added in.

31. gamingislove

gamingislove

sneak peek on the next update:
    object parenting event steps, dialogue speaker images, formula if/else cases and own GUISkins for the dialogue name box :)

32. AaronVictoria

AaronVictoria

Hi,

I must say this is a development suite gamingislove. Our development team is in the early stages of development with our project, and our publisher is ready to purchase ORK as soon real-time combat is an option. We've completed a lot of pre-development diagrams in the programming division, and had the simple hack and slash combat system operating successfully, but I came across the ORK system and was blown away. You have all the elements we planned to program into our game, and much more. We've decided to wait for the menu system, and real-time combat to keep everything operating across the same system. I'm a C# programmer, and looking at what your product offers, insures that our team will save much needed development hours. We'll keep our fingers cross for an earlier release of real-time combat (which appears to be in demand quite a bit here), and follow your thread closely. Thanks for deliver such an awesome development package; this is a guaranteed purchase from our studio.

-AV

33. blackant

blackant

i just bough it, i'll start to testing it and realize a little or big game, i don't know at this time.... futur will say it!

34. blackant

blackant

is there a forum to discut about ork and asking for updates ?

actually first thing i need is the possibility to customise position of principal menu and customize size of text...

35. gamingislove

gamingislove

there is yet no own forum for ORK, but I'll get one sometime in the future (kinda focus more on further development ...), if you got questions or bug reports send me a mail to ork@rpg-kit.com :)

the things you need are already there - the main menu (and dialogues/choices) use Dialogue Positions to determine position, size and animations. You can set them up in RPG Kit > Position Editors > Dialogue Position Editor and use them wherever you need (for the main menu go to RPG Kit > Project Editor > Main Menu and change the position by general settings).
    The text size is defined by the font you use in the GUISkins used in the Dialogue Positions (sounds complicated but it's very easy). Unity uses GUISkins for GUI look and feel, each Dialogue Position uses it's own GUISkin (that you set up) - to change the text size you just need to create your own GUISkin (or edit an existing one) in the Resources/HUD/ folder of your project's assets and use the font you like to have, and then use this GUISkin in the Dialogue Position you use in your main menu ...

36. blackant

blackant

ok, nice, i didn't search here !

thanks so much !

37. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK is now available in the >asset store< :)

Menu system is doing fine, basic functions (items, skills, equipment, status, party management) already working without problem, now gotta implement item recipes and then drag'n'drop ...

38. RyuMaster

RyuMaster

And I'm actively working on real-time battle system now. So far goes smoothly, it's very easy to customize RPG Kit. It will adapted to my game needs, but if there will be lots if interest, I could re-write it a bit later and release it as generic plugin.

39. Hans

Hans

@gamingislove, do the ppl who purshased the kit by your site and NOT by the asset store still get there updates as per normal?

40. gamingislove

gamingislove

yes, updates are provided as usual, and since I can send them out directly without going through asset store submission, you'll get them a bit faster :D

41. drewradley

drewradley

never mind... using different script for movement instead...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  42. RoyS

RoyS

Can we still purchase updates and expansion packs thru you instead of the asset store?

43. gamingislove

gamingislove

sure, it's just an additional sales channel :)

44. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

I wish you would have made the battle system module base so it can easily be swapped out. none the less we are working on our own Turn base but real time battle system. Similar setup to Advance wars or Tales of series.

45. drewradley

drewradley

I noticed a bug or something strange anyway. I set up an event that when the player hits the "p" key they drink a healing potion. Anyway, it works but the character has a pink shade added afterward. It doesn't happen when they use a mana potion.

edit: I know what it's doing. First it flashes green then pink then some textures go back to the main color while others stay pink. I just have no clue how to fix it so it doesn't happen.

another edit: It also leaves some of the textures green during battles so after a battle, my character has green highlights.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  46. gamingislove

gamingislove

@drewradley
    does this also happen when you use a healing potion in the battle system?
    I guess it has something to do with your battle system settings (Battle System > Battle Text), there you'll find the settings for flashing/fading on damage/healing for different status values.

@DigitalShock
    I'll try to change that in the future, since there are many different battle system styles coming for ORK :)

47. drewradley

drewradley

Thanks! I'll check it out.

edit: that fixed it but now for some reason the notification (the little yellow name and the amount healed in green) only shows up once. The potion is still consumed and they are still healed but no notice of it. Any thoughts on that?

edit again: I figured it out... had to deactivate the effect.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  48. Cyrano

Cyrano

Hi, I´m interest in your kit release for my project, but i would make another battle system, similar Dragon Age, the witcher or another action RPG, no turn based system. It is possible with your kit, or are going to make a update for fix it?

49. gamingislove

gamingislove

Sure, it's possible to do those battle systems with ORK - and it's very easy to interact with ORKs system, all the needed methods to access items, skills, attacks, etc. are already there, so you'd just have to build your battle system and call ORKs functions :)
    I'll also add new battle systems in the future, but this will take some time ...

50. drewradley

drewradley

If I edit the code and change the hit probability from "=< 1-100" to ="> 1-10+1-10" (with the proper code) and change my statuses and formulas to use that, will that cause any problems with the rest of the code? I don't just want to start messing around with the code since it's a lot more complicated than I feel comfortable messing around with, but changing the random value is child's play, just so long as it doesn't really hurt the rest of the code! Will just changing that one line of code in all the scripts be all I need to do to change the hit probability and not royally screw up the rest of the code?

Also, I think I found all the places in the code the hit probability is called but would you mind telling me exactly where they are so I don't miss any (I don't need the line number, just the name of the script)?

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011