Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ORK Okashi RPG Kit for Unity released

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gamingislove, Nov 7, 2010.

1. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

Asked the iOS expert said

nope, they don't batch either.

the best available solution is EZGUI

2. Zu01

Zu01

Gosh, why must everything be SOOOOO expensive :)
    Nice work though I had fun with the demo

3. Hans

Hans

well he did have a 25% off sale through Xmas, but it is finished now.

4. 3Duaun

3Duaun

reallllllly wish ORK was compatible with EZgui, WAY too many draw calls for my iOS tests :-(
    soon hopefully :)

5. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

what platform are you testing on? 3g? 3gs? 4?

6. 3Duaun

3Duaun

3gs, iPhone4, ipad
    when every draw call matters, even a basic spritemanager1(in the unity wiki) would be most helpful(or seem to be based on my experience)

7. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

So how does it perform on the 3gs/4 with the current gui? frame rate wise? I find it crazy that UI draw calls can cause so much lag, esp on the newer models.

8. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  9. n321

n321

I have a question about the battle system and a question about the event/dialogue system.

Battle System:
    I played the demo and, as you have stated, there is a turn based / active time battle system in place. This battle system is similar to turn based battle systems as seen in games like Final Fantasy.

My question is this: Is it possible to mimick other syles of turnbased battle as seen in games like Never Winter Nights 2 and KOTOR? The battle is more active time (like what is in place) but does not make use of the menus so much and does not have the fancy camera system for every move. Check out the videos below to see what I would hope to achieve with ORK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrqqASpD-BA&feature=related

OR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBjxiUVJsu4

PS I can code some basic c# so if I need to modify some things I can, I just want to know how hard it would be to achieve.

Dialogue System:

By utilizing the event system would it be possible to make more of a KOTOR or NWN2 style, cinematic dialogue system. What Im looking for is instead of a text based system I would like to utilize cameras and NPC animations and sound. When I walk up to an NPC and interact with it I would like the camera to point at the NPC and I would like the NPC to play a specified animation and a specified sound (witch will contain voice acted dialogue). When the animation and sound has finished playing I would then like the choice menu to appear for the player to choose a responce. Once the choise has been made the NPC will again play a set of animations and sound and the camera would move arround. Take a look at this video to see what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPeI4mX8Nus&feature=related

PS. Great work. Sor far this looks like one of the most useful tools that I have seen for unity. Tho that is becasue it most closely suits my goals.

10. gamingislove

gamingislove

@MJA
    Grid-based combat isn't yet in the kit, but planned for a future extension (maybe end 2011).
    Skill bar is already possible (simply a variation of a menu), but displaying only skills would currently require some small code changes (I'll put that on my to-do list :D).

@n321
    Battle system currently is as seen in the demo with menu driven combat. Since you create your own battle animations you don't need to use fancy camera moves...
    The event (dialogue) system allows all you need - playing animations, sounds, etc, changing camera, looking at NPC's, etc. - that's all possible :D

@iOS draw calls
    I'll look into it once the menu system is done.

11. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

@Menu
    Hows that coming along? Any screenshots to showoff? or maybe a expected release date?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  12. Oniken

Oniken

Has anyone purchased this within this community? Also is there some type of student version or trial? It looks great!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  13. Deleted User

Deleted User

Have many people purchased this kit so far?

14. gamingislove

gamingislove

The menu system is doing quite fine ... now that I'm back on the development :D
    I can't really tell a release date yet, I'm currently working on displaying the base stuff (skills, equips, etc.) and will implement drag+drop functionality after that ...
    It will also be possible to start a game event through item drop :D

I'll post some screenshots next week!

15. RoyS

RoyS

Looking forward to it!

You're doing an awesome job with this, gamingislove. I keep watching this posting for news and updates.

16. 3Duaun

3Duaun

I head that realtime combat isnt implemented yet. is that correct? I thought that was supposed to be a key feature? I bought it, and have only tested it with turn-based, but was wondering. Thanks for any clarification.

17. Kotzu

Kotzu

i got the kit, for it's ok, but still some things i was expecting to see, like weapons/items to get used and at 0% not work, or for enemy to give it a special type of attack, like electric damage or fire damage, and for me is perfect. For any questions, feel free to PM :)

18. n321

n321

What you are trying to do with the weapons and items is already supported there is just no user interface for it yet. The developer is working on adding a menu system that will do this or you could just add your own menu system that uses the already in place code for the inventory system. If you purchased the kit you should get an upgrade with these new features for free. :)

19. n321

n321

I have a functionality question. Lets say I use this kit to run most of what I need it to do but lets say I also want to use another addon like Playmaker. http://hutonggames.com/playmaker.html . Can the two framworks play nice together out of the box. Can I choose to use ORK for most things like battle, dialogue and events but also use Playmaker for some events as well?

20. MikeyUchiha

MikeyUchiha

I'm not sure where I can get support for your product or what not so I just am going to post here. If there's another avenue you would prefer please let me know.:) For some reason, I noticed that when I try to move my character south, the terrain around him constantly spins and he only moves in a circle. Also, I don't know how to make a differentiation between a walk cycle and a run cycle. Like, I want to know how I can make the character walk or how to make them run. Another issue that I'm having is that I want to be able to have a yield implementation between my idle animations. Because basically he looks around for a bit and then should go back to resting. But instead, he keeps looking around making it look kind of abnormal. Another issue I'm having is that the player starts off fine but after I move, the player gets stuck with his foot half up in the air. I understand this might actually be an animation issue with the source model. But, I would appreciate it if you could look into that.

21. loadexfa

loadexfa

One issue I noticed is if you delete the second language ORK gets rather pissed and throws a number of script errors and sometimes loses all RPG Kit data (even crashed Unity a couple times). So to anyone toying around with it like I am, leave both languages in place! You can always delete the second language from the main menu to keep it hidden from players. Other than that bug it seems really good so far.

22. brianjkd

brianjkd

Its awesome!

23. loadexfa

loadexfa

My first feature request is to allow ORK to integrate with EZ-GUI. EZ-GUI is already an awesome GUI tool which works well on mobile (keeps draw calls low). No need to reinvent the wheel though I understand integration may not be trivial and, of course, EZ-GUI can't be distributed with ORK. Perhaps someone will just have to figure this out and post a tutorial. Eventually that someone may end up being me. ;)

24. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

+1
    Would love to see maybe a patch script that will allow the integration possible.

However re-inventing the wheel in some cases is needed to keep everything as only kit.

25. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

Any update on the Menu??

26. danreid70

danreid70

Trying to purchase, but purchase site won't accept my email... Argh... Anyone out there that has this kit - how do you like it? Has anyone done any customization with it yet? Would love to hear what kind of progress is being made with it. From the site, reading through the docs, checking out the demo... OMG, I really want it! Would save TONS of time on a project I'm currently working on, it does everything I've been trying to kludge together from scratch - and then some!

gamingislove: AWESOME kit! Looking forward to eventually figuring out how to purchase it without having to get a new email account somewhere that's not a free one... Argh! :/

27. loadexfa

loadexfa

I'm not using the battle system but find the event system very well done and I got NPC's talking to my player character in a very short time. I'm planning on creating an "opinion system" where the NPC's dialog varies based on their opinion of the player character (altered by dialog choices and other actions/choices made in the game). We'll see how easily I can integrate custom "opinion system" code with ORK but from what I can tell this won't be too hard. At some point I would like to integrate with EZ-GUI but that may become moot if enough people require draw call optimization for mobile (which could force the developer to implement something similar to EZ-GUI for ORK).

Overall I'm very happy with this system and think it will be a huge time saver for what I have planned.

Regarding the email, domain names are pretty cheap (less than $15 per year) cheap hosting not too bad ($10ish per month) and it helps to have a web site for your project. :)

28. 3Duaun

3Duaun

+1(again) for EZGui(sprite manager2) integration, there are just far too many draw calls happening here for our mobile tests of ORK in our iOS titles. gonna have to neglect ORK for our next title due to this reason, and cant refer the rest of the team to purchase it for this reason, hope there are some hooks added to ORK for EZGui/SpriteManager2 soon. Other than the draw call issue, all works very well so far, thank you.

EDIT: wha??? the active fight system isn't in there yet?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  29. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

I'm willing to pay extra for a EZGUI integration or similar setup for the mobile development.

30. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

+1 for EZ GUI and SM2
    and
    +1 for an active fight system

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  31. n321

n321

Since there has not been any updates, has any one been able to create a small inventory menu using the unity GUI system that can interface with ORK? Or possibly use one of the many inventory systems on the forms to create an equipment screen for ORK?

32. n321

n321

There is one major flaw to ORK's armor system. Yes I can spawn a player. Yes I can use the armor system to attach a armor pice (say pants). But the problem is the pants do not animate with the player. I can seen to figure out the best way to have my attached armor animate with the player. Any ideas?

33. Deleted User

Deleted User

^ That's not a bug...
    The armor model has to be skinned to your character's skeleton for it to animate together.

34. n321

n321

Well I did not say it was a "bug" I said it was a flaw as I did not think the functionality had been properly added yet to the code. If you however know how this should be done with in this Kit then will you please describe the process a bit more? My Char model and his armor (pants in my case) were created on the same skeleton and they hold the exact same bone structure in Unity.

Also another thing that is not added completely yet would be the fact that a character can equip any armor from the game when ever he wants. IT does not matter if he has the armor in his inventory. Now I know all that would need to be done is do some menu based checks when creating an inventory menu so Im sure this will be added....its just not there yet....thats all.

Through all of my testing these are the only two issues I ahve found so far. I have set up my own char and cam controler, DAO style dialogue system, custom characters, custom battle system, and custom party system. This kit made getting started very easy and I can expand off of it very well. I recomend the kit to anyone wanting to create an RPG with unity.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  35. gamingislove

gamingislove

Sorry for my late reply in the thread ... I was down due to influenza for some time and I'm currently busy with university exams :(

Bad news first: menu system addon wont be out before End of February ...
    Good news: it will most likely come with an item crafting system ... combine items, weapons and armors to create new items, weapons or armors :D

@n321
    I see what the problem is - I'll improve the EquipmentViewer in one of the future updates to allow bone linking (e.g. link the bones of your pants to the leg-bones of your character). But it can take some time before I'll be able to implement this.

@real time battle system
    Nope, not in the kit and never was - only turn based and active time battles (Final Fantasy style with timebars). A real time battle system will come as an addon in (probably late) 2011.

@lower draw calls for mobile
    I'll be on this once the menu system is out!

@playmaker+ORK
    There's no reason why this shouldn't work (although I haven't really tried playmaker). But using functionality from one in the other wont be possible without scripting ... (unless you can call playmaker stuff with send/broadcast message functionality - that's possible via ORKs event system).

I guess I've overlooked some questions now, I'll try to answer everything within the next weeks :D

36. RoyS

RoyS

There's some nasty bugs going around. January 1 - That was the nastiest flu I had ever had my entire life...worse than the walking pneumonia I had. I do hope you're feeling better tho.

Wonderful. I really need this for my adventure game!

I was going to try and script in something, but wasn't sure how ORK would save the custom scripting? You mention using Playmaker, but how would ORK save any in-game settings that any custom scripts would have if it's not part of the whole ORK package?

When is this going to be implemented.

37. n321

n321

Can you eplain how armor will work with the inventory menu? As of now I can use the same event as the demo to add any armor to the players body that I want but that should be restricted to only equip the armor if it is actually in the players inventory.

38. gamingislove

gamingislove

@RoyS
    Yeah, I'm fine again, thanks :)
    Saving of custom script data depends on how they are impemented. ORK saves your party (position, inventory, etc.) and the game variables. If you create a custom script that uses ORKs game variables to do something than ORK saves this stuff.
    Drag+Drop and event start via item drop will come when the menu system is out.

@n321
    The menu system will restrict the equipment to the stuff you got in your party inventory. You'll also have the possibility to view how a selected equipment will change the characters status values - I'll post some screens soon.

There'll also be another new way to start game events - periodically, i.e. the event will be executed everey e.g. 2 minutes. With this you can for example create a daytime cycle or a calendar system etc. by using game variables.

39. RyuMaster

RyuMaster

I'm trying to implement real-time system, and I'm loving this kit so far =)
    My idea is to have players running around freely, and once they press "space", battle pauses, player can choice command, and it gets executed in real time then, based on "battle animation script".

gamingislove, currently I'm stock on showing command list window. I thought, this.StartTurn() calls window, where player can choice commands. So I did it this:

Like, I thought, this way I should get action command selection for my main player displayed. But nothing shows up.
    I'm using custom Enum REALTIME, so neither active or turn-based is active.

Is there something else I need to call action selection window for the player I want?

Also, for the future - will whole system work, if few or more action will get executed at once? Like, course, I'll need to modify lots of stuff, but maybe there are some advices you can give to avoid potential minetraps?

40. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

So how it goes on?
    Any news?

41. n321

n321

42. joel

joel

@Gamingislove, just bought the ORK kit yesterday, great work :D
    but i was wondering if it would be possible to spawn random enemies in a battle arena instead of previously selected ones ?

Also, currently you have to set the enemy level manually, that results in allot o entries in the enemy panel. would it be possible to automaticly change the level of the enemy to fit the player's level ? (sometimes give the enemy a lower/higher level then the player)

43. gamingislove

gamingislove

Sorry for my late reply here, I'm working hard on the next update and menu system addon :D

@joel
    I'll put the random enemies on my todo list for future updates, but don't know if it'll already be in the next one.
    The enemy level doesn't really do anything since enemies don't have status value development like characters - it's just an information that could be used for e.g. an enemy compendium in the menu, etc.
    Maybe there'll be something like that in the future, but for now that's not in ORK.

Also, ORK is now sold in quantity discounts - see our >shop< for details. The studio licences are gone, there's only indie and commercial licence with quantity discounts now :)

If someone needs support, please send it to ork@rpg-kit.com.

44. joel

joel

@gamingislove, thanks for the reply :)
    i forgot this one request; the possibility to switch party members.

so lets say you have more then 3 party members, it would be very nice to be able to switch a current party member with one from a list.

thanks again.

45. n321

n321

Do you have a ETA on when the next release will be. We wont hold you to it if you cant get it done by a specific time I am just curious how long you think it will be.

46. gamingislove

gamingislove

next update will be ready within a week, it brings some cool new features for the event system (number variables, repeating autostart events > can be used to e.g. create a calendar or day-cycle system) and item recipes :)
    menu system addon is still in development ...

47. Falin

Falin

the inventory system is it accessible outside the battle system?
    because in the webplayer it isn't(right?).

48. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK yet has no inventory system, a menu/inventory system is currently in development as addon. But ORK provides you with all needed functions to implement one of the existing inventory systems, if needed.
    The menu system addon will bring not only list based (aka Final Fantasy type menus), but also drag+drop style menus, including dropping items back into the world (and saving positions in the savegame) - naturally there is everything you'll need in an RPG in there, items, equipment, party management, status, etc.

49. RoyS

RoyS

This is what I'm waiting for...this addon and will definitely purchase it when available.

There are two other RPG kits out now that I'm looking at. I will probably purchase those, too and see which one of these 3 best fits the gameplay I want to use.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  50. n321

n321

Can you provide the links to the other two RPG kits? I am not aware of them.