Search Unity

Games Orbital BBQ Laser - playing with missiles

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by omikun, Jul 22, 2017.

1. omikun

omikun

Genre: Space sim/arcade
    View: 3D third person
    Platform: PC
    Made with Unity

I swear there will be bbq and lasers in this game. But first I wanted to get missiles working. I wrote a tutorial on my journey in implementing missile guidance here.

The premise is to make a fun game in the vein of Macross or Star Fox, but on steroids. Lots of missiles, lots of lasers, and lots of BBQ. Also, everything is flying in real space with real orbital mechanics a la KSP.

I started this project with the idea of KSP + combat. So I spent a lot of time getting the physics worked out. But there was a lot of feature creep (economy simulator lol) so I'm taking a new tack and am shooting for a simple arcade like game, built on everything I've already made. Yes, that rainbow chart on the right turns into a porkchop plot when you want to plot an intercept with something far away. The earth in the background is a real sized earth and the ship is in an actual orbit. What that means is if you play long enough, you'll see the night side of earth, you'll enter earth's shadow, and things might get harder or easier, depending on if you need solar power or if you are thermally maxed out.

I asked myself, what would I like to see? And I was watching Evangelion with a scene where missiles were everywhere, there was a strong sense of speed and motion, and I wanted to capture that. So that's what this game is suppose to be. I would like to integrate game mechanics based on the actual conditions in space: no stealth, heat management, limited delta V; but I want to make it fun first this time around.

The world is a far-future scifi. Fighters have a ton of deltaV (by today's standards), near infinite missiles and lasers, and a ton of armor. Some things will be standard scifi tropes, but they all operate on realistic physics. Maneuvering conserves angular momentum so once you start rotating, you'll keep rotating. There is no max speed, there is just total deltaV. You have a lot of missiles, but... I can't think of anything to balance that right now. Maybe it'll be recharged like in Sky Rogue.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017