Search Unity

[Optimization] Polygonal Culling

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by NewGame_Studio, Aug 11, 2016.

1. NewGame_Studio

NewGame_Studio

Hi,

My name is Andrey, I created Polygonal Culling (http://u3d.as/xnT)

You may have time to buy the asset, while the discount.

If you bought my asset, please contact me at e-mail (andre-orsk@yandex.ru) about your impressions of use. And forgive me for my english :)

Kindest regards,
    Andrey.

2. NewGame_Studio

NewGame_Studio

Have time to buy Polygon Culling, yet there is a discount!

3. NewGame_Studio

NewGame_Studio

Polygonal Culling the number 6 in the Top Paid!

4. NewGame_Studio

NewGame_Studio

Polygonal Culling the number 9 in the Top Grossing!

5. NewGame_Studio

NewGame_Studio

Polygonal Culling the number 5 in the Top Paid!

6. gurayg

gurayg

Hi,
    Congrats with your new asset. Look promising. I wanted to ask:

-Does this work with skinned meshes? I don't think it does but wanted to ask anyway.
    -How does your asset compare against regular Occlusion culling? Is this asset better because it is easier and faster to setup? Does your results also compare well against occlusion culling?
    -Does your asset also help lower the texture memory while saving on polys?

Thanks.

7. NewGame_Studio

NewGame_Studio

Dear Gurayg,

Sorry, that so long I didn't answer.
    - No, it doesn't work with Skinned Meshes
    - My asset works quicker than Occlusion Culling as in realtime there are less operations, therefore less load of CPU. Besides, you can force standard Occlusion Culling to cut off invisible triangles by means of my asset.
    - Polygonal Culling reduces use of video memory.

I hope I answered your questions, forgive me for my English :)

8. IFL

IFL

Hey Andrey,

I'm really impressed with this asset. It seems really cheap for what it actually does. It's easily worth every penny.

I'd like some more thorough guiding for the settings:
    1. What does "crushing depth" mean?
    2. What should the Min Triangles Count be in various situations?
      Why should it be higher/lower, and by how much?
    And I have no clue what the first Visualize button actually does. :confused: I click it to watch for anything to change anywhere in the editor, but nothing seems to happen. And the second Visualize button seems to only update the CallsCount number, which is fine.

Also, the field for adding cameras looks messed up. There's no number or names. I can drag a camera onto the arrow, but that's the only way that I can actually add it. And I have no idea how to delete any from the list other than starting the window over again.
    PC_ifl01.jpg

Finally, it would be really nice to be able to have multiple position spaces. My level is shaped kind of like a T, so there's a ton of wasted space. It seems to go through the wasted space faster than the filled space when calculating, but it still takes a while for just the empty areas that the camera will never be. Setting up a list of non-rotated collider boxes in the scene view would be ideal, but I imagine that would be a lot more work to implement than just a few more positions. Visual feedback in the scene of the position(s) would be helpful too.

Thanks for releasing such a great product!

Cheers

9. NewGame_Studio

NewGame_Studio

Hi IFL,

A huge thank you for your purchase and even more thank you for your thoughts, it will help me improve my program.

"Crushing depth" - in other words, the more Max Stack - the greater is the number of blocks divided scene.
    "Min Triangles" - the minimum number of triangles in the same block.

It is very strange, that does not work Visualize button. Maybe it's a bug Unity, try restarting Unity. If this does not help, please email me your version of Unity.

Similarly, the second button. The second button "Visualize" should show you the area, something like "Occlusion Area".

It should work in this video:

Also, try not to select other objects, when you work with Polygonal Culling Window.

Yes, I will fix "Cameras" field. Why the Unity Editor does not want to display the "Cameras" correctly, but I will correct it. For the first time, if you make a mistake, just close the window and open knitted.

Thanks for the suggestion of multiple position spaces. I made these changes in future versions. While you can use the "Standard_Occlusion" baking type and Occlusion Area.

I hope I have helped you. Be sure to email me if you still have questions, and share with me your experiences on the use of my program, it is important for me.

Kindest regards,
    Andrey.

IFL likes this.
  10. GCatz

GCatz

does it works on mobile ?

11. NewGame_Studio

NewGame_Studio

Polygonal Culling works with all platforms.

12. IFL

IFL

@Ufimsev - Thanks for the detailed response.
    That worked! And now I feel silly for not trying that before. :oops:

I think it would improve the user experience to open the PolygonalCulling window when the menu button is clicked. It confused me at first when I clicked the menu button and nothing appeared to happen because my hierarchy list was too large to show the additional gameobject. Something like:
    1. Add to the PolygonalCullingEditor class:
      Code (CSharp):
      1. private static bool _justCreated = false;
    2. Replace the CreateObject method's body:
      Code (CSharp):
      1. Selection.activeGameObject = new GameObject("PolygonalCulling", typeof(PolygonalCulling));
      2. _justCreated = true;
    3. Add to the OnInspectorGUI method after setting the culling variable:
      Code (CSharp):
      1. if (_justCreated) {
      2.     _justCreated = false;
      3.     OpenWindow();
      4. }
    There's probably a better way to do it - this was just a quick change. Or you could just change the menu item's name to Create Polygonal Culling Object or something similar to avoid confusion. Either way would be an improvement in my opinion.

I hope I'm not annoying you with suggestions. Feel free to ignore them - I won't be offended. :)

13. NewGame_Studio

NewGame_Studio

Dear IFL,

A huge thank you for helping to improve my asset. Your advice is very helpful, I listen to them and make the changes in the new version Polygonal Culling

14. msono

msono

does it works with Terrain?

15. NewGame_Studio

NewGame_Studio

Hi Msono,
    No, Polygonal Culling does not work with Unity Terrain

16. NewGame_Studio

NewGame_Studio

Polygonal Culling the number 3 in the Top Paid!

17. Ascensi

Ascensi

@Ufimsev this answer is probably no but I need to ask this anyway. Will this work on objects that are normally static but are actually fragmented for example models sliced using the fragment and destruction kit? ..

Brick walls for example may be detonated or have projectiles launched at the walls breaking piece by piece or whole areas that just fall away. It would be great if there was some kind of dynamic/moving grid sectors that follow the models -if I understand the common culling limitations correctly. I have a maze that has fragmented brick walls.. currently performance is very slow in the editor but I plan to use world streamer hopefully together with your asset as well.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I bought the asset today but I get this error and can't see it listed in tools: Assets/PolygonalCulling/Scripts/Editor/PolygonalCullingSceneManager.cs(104,75): error CS0433: The imported type `Triangle' is defined multiple times

Unity V 5.4

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  18. NewGame_Studio

NewGame_Studio

Dear Ascensi,

Thank You for having written to me.
    It looks like You have a project there is another class Triangle. I can solve it, please contact me at e-mail (andre-orsk@yandex.ru) and I'll send You a corrected version Polygonal Culling for You.

Kindest regards,
    Andrey.

Ascensi likes this.
  19. Ascensi

Ascensi

Email sent thank you Andrey!

20. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Do you have any benchmark figures for a scene with and without your asset on various platforms so can better judge how effective it could be.

StaffanEk and PhoenixRising1 like this.
  21. NewGame_Studio

NewGame_Studio

Dear Ascensi,

I have sent You the letter yesterday. Please, check the e-mail.

Kindest regards,
    Andrey.

22. NewGame_Studio

NewGame_Studio

Dear MikeUpchat,

Thanks for a question.
    Unfortunately, I haven't managed to make scene for demonstration of work of my program yet. If You don't want to wait, You can send me a test scene and I will make two builds, before/after Polygonal Culling use.

Kindest regards,
    Andrey.

23. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Could you just not use one of the Unity demo scenes?

24. Ascensi

Ascensi

@Ufimsev Thanks for the update everything seems to be working (haven't tested my scene yet) but have been working at processing it. I hope you can add a cancellation button when Baking for "Generating PC Data" cancellation -I've had to close Unity down a couple times because I needed to add some changes.
    Also it seems the orange grid that helps you see the range/area you've selected for culling doesn't seem visible on my end.

By any chance will this work on non-static objects as well? ie; crumbing building, crumbing wall etc

Update Sept 6th:.. Generating PC Data hangs in the same spot "36 out of 1280"

I think if there was some way to see which file or files stalled preventing data to be created would be very important because I keep trying to go through the same process and it just freezes.. can't use it otherwise.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  25. NewGame_Studio

NewGame_Studio

Dear MikeUpchat,

Well, I will prepare demo web in the nearest future. Thanks for council.

Kindest regards,
    Andrey

26. NewGame_Studio

NewGame_Studio

Dear Ascensi,

About visible grid, re-read please the message which I had sent IFL, he had a similar problem.

About long preprocess, try to use the baking "Standard_Occlusion" type

Yes, no changing, Polygonal Culling not work with dynamic objects.

Kindest regards,
    Andrey

27. Ascensi

Ascensi

I tried the Standard Culling same thing, then I tried Real-time and it started processing fast but then froze. maybe if you implemented some display showing a status Que of a file being processed or a way to show it is frozen it would help greatly. I'm running Unity 5.4 with Intel 4Ghz quad core 16 GB of ram and a GTX 970 4GB ram on Windows 10
    If you think it shouldn't take long to process 52 of 311 longer than 4 hours in any of your modes: Real time, Standard Occulling etc this is what's been happening.

28. NewGame_Studio

NewGame_Studio

Dear Ascensi,

I'm sorry I did not realize at once, I'm not an English-speaking country. The problem is that the process is frozen? Whether any error appears in the Console?

Kindest regards,
    Andrey.

29. Ascensi

Ascensi

I didn't see any errors but unfortunately in the end I wouldn't be able to use this asset because it is only for non moving objects

30. NewGame_Studio

NewGame_Studio

Dear Ascensi,

You have bought my program before I have managed to answer You question of dynamic objects. I will write to You on e-mail and we will talk about refund.

Kindest regards,
    Anderey.

31. magique

magique

Does anyone who has used this asset have any performance comparisons before and after using this? I'd like to see how this does on a fairly large interior space with regards to memory usage and performance improvements.

32. IFL

IFL

The Asset Store shows this asset as deprecated now. I hope it's just an error. :eek:

33. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Phew, glad I didn't buy it early, guess must have not performed too well in real world situations. Hopefully the author will work on it and bring it back with some proper test cases.

34. coverpage

coverpage

Deprecated within 3 weeks of purchasing. Hopefully I can get a refund.

35. NewGame_Studio

NewGame_Studio

Dear buyers,

Don't worry that asset is removed and You have spent money for nothing. It's not true. My asset will resume work in 5 - 7 days again. Just I had some technical malfunctions. So far You wait for the fact that Polygonal Culling will resume work, You can update the version to 1.1 in it a set of useful changes. Thanks for understanding)

Kindest regards,
    Andrey.

IFL likes this.
  36. IFL

IFL

@Ufimsev - any updates on getting PC back on the store?

37. NewGame_Studio

NewGame_Studio

Dear IFL,

Forgive please that I so long didn't answer. In Asset Store shop reception conditions have changed, and they ask from me additional actions. I will provide all necessary as soon as possible. I very much appreciate your trust, thanks.

Kindest regards,
    Andrey

IFL likes this.
  38. NewGame_Studio

NewGame_Studio

Forgive me for such a long delay. So, Polygonal Culling again continued to work!

The new version contains many useful changes + I added a sample scene, so that You can quickly learn to work with Polygonal Culling.

Have time to buy Polygonal Culling at such an attractive price, very soon this offer ends.

39. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Have you done any tests with one of the Unity complete scenes so we can actually see what performance gains your asset provides.

MarkusGod likes this.
  40. NewGame_Studio

NewGame_Studio

To release in the Asset Store is preparing a set of my assets for optimize.

41. NewGame_Studio

NewGame_Studio

42. NewGame_Studio

NewGame_Studio

43. NewGame_Studio

NewGame_Studio

If You want to receive in advance information related to my assets, write to my e-mail: "I want to get information."

44. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Hello, I have found your promising, interesting idea and looking good Polygonal culling, as I like the idea I have bought this asset today, but regretably it has very little documentation and explaining how to use and how it works

You have said that it does not work with either skinned meshed render object or not work with dynamic objects, just for static objects, and is understandable as it would be very difficult to bake or define the polygon that are viewed of each moving object

BUT I suposse and think that you can still use Polygonal culling and is compatible with moving object and skinned mesh renderer, I mean that if you can share the same camera and you can use Polygonal culling just to render the static objects, or you would need a different camera for the dynamic objects?

Thanks for any help

NewGame_Studio likes this.
  45. NewGame_Studio

NewGame_Studio

Dear SpaceRay,

Thank You for purchasing my asset.

I regret that my documentation is insufficient, I am not from an English-speaking country, so there could be such problems.

If something remains unclear for You, You can freely ask questions here, or send me an e-mail (andre-orsk@yandex.ru).

Polygonal Culling can't work with dynamic objects, because all the "magic" is preprocessing. If transfer this system to dynamic objects, then the load will be greater than what we can save.

I hope I helped You, You can contact me at any time.

Kindest regards,
    Andrey

46. NewGame_Studio

NewGame_Studio

Hi,

I would like to tell You about other my assets. First it's Super Level Optimizer.

SuperLevelOptimizer is the tool created in order that the user had no problems with game optimization. The most clear and the most effective.

You shouldn't think of optimization of Your game more. SuperLevelOptimizer optimizes a scene for You. All that You need to make, it only to watch the seven-minute training video and You will be able to optimize Your game in couple of clicks of a mouse.

SuperLevelOptimizer advantages:
    * Unity 5 is supported!
    * Reduces load of GPU
    * Support of Occlusion Culling is added
    * Completely automatic work
    * Idle time in training, intuitively clear interface
    * Bakes textures in atlases
    * Combines meshes
    * Bakes tiling textures to atlas
    * Source assets don't change
    * All materials is supported
    * PBS shaders is supported

47. NewGame_Studio

NewGame_Studio

48. NewGame_Studio

NewGame_Studio

49. MarkusGod

MarkusGod

Hello! Is there a way to setup occuluison areas like with standar occulusion culing, so we won't process the whole level?
    And is it compatable with streaming solutions like world streamer?

50. NewGame_Studio

NewGame_Studio

For a long time there were no updates :)
    I am pleased to inform You that all my assets have a discount for subscribers of Unity Pro / Plus