Search Unity

OpenVR eye seperation issue

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by blaher, Jun 23, 2017.

1. blaher

blaher

Ok... using an oculus headset, if I use the oculus plugin, all is good. The 3d effect in VR is subtle but there and it is easy to focus on anything in the scene. If I use OpenVR, it looks as if the right and left eyes are a half mile apart -- too far to even force eyes to uncomfortably focus.

I tried scaling my camera rig w the openVR plugin and I can get a clear focus point in the scene but then anything closer or further away is still really separated. I have no idea how to adjust openVR settings to be more like the oculus driver. The oculus one just works... Ideas?

2. blaher

blaher

to try and be more specific, at a camera scale of 1... objects very close, medium, or distant are all massively separated between eyes. At a scale of 4.5 objects close are in great 3d focus but anything further is still very separated between eyes. at 6.5 objects at medium distance are 3d focuses but near and far objects are impossible to focus on.

3. blaher

blaher

anyone?

4. SiliconDroid

SiliconDroid

Hmmm?, to map your problem further:

Assuming scaling your cam rig does indeed adjust IPD. Try a scale of zero, do both eyes get the same render? If you have convergence issues with 0 IPD then it sounds like your render areas in the HMD are not aligned to lense centers, maybe not IPD problem but final screen image seperation.

5. blaher

blaher

@SiliconDroid, Thanks for the reply. At camera rig (parent object) scaling of 0,0,0 each eye has a very different image -- offset enough that a medium distant object is 100% separated between the eyes.

6. blaher

blaher

And something else I really don't understand, is why would openvr and oculus SDKs be so different with no other change than selecting which SDK to use. I have also verified that using oculus or vive headset and the openVR sdk results in this separation issues and oculus with oculus sdk works great every time.

7. blaher

blaher

think I'm getting closer to understanding what is going on. I created a test scene w just a bunch of objects from close to far from the camera and it works normally w either headset and either sdk. The only thing different in the test scene and the scene I'm complaining about is instead of 3d objects I'm viewing a raymarched shader fractal scene. The oculus sdk handles this just fine but the openvr sdk is doing the opposite thing as I move closer/further to objects. The further away the object, the greater the separation between left and right eye. So objects up very close I can focus on normally and the greater distance the more screwed up the view gets as the left and right eye get further and further apart. Any ideas how to fix this?

8. blaher

blaher

still trying to sort this out. anyone?

9. blaher

blaher

Here is a sample project setup to show the problem. Using an oculus rift, load up either scene in this project and run it. you will see that using OpenVR sdk the image per eye is way off. Set Pref/Project/VR to OculusSDK and run again and you will see that it is correct and easy on the eyes. Any ideas how to fix it so that OpenVR works like the OculusSDK does?

sample project:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/riob65bvo7ktw8x/VR-Raymarching.zip?dl=0

10. bgolus

bgolus

Does it work if you disable single pass stereo? I don't have any experience with OpenVR, but with other VR targets in the past I've had problems with the camera variables being passed to the shader not being correct with single pass enabled, either being the "center" camera, or only one eye's position. Mind you this was ~2 years ago so I'd be surprised if that's still an issue, but it might be.

11. blaher

blaher

single pass is not an option at all w the raymarch shaders. All I get if single pass is turned on is a blank screen.

12. blaher

blaher

still stuck.... anyone else have any ideas of what to try?