Search Unity

OpenGL 2.1 ( deprecated )

Discussion in 'Linux' started by knobby67, Apr 7, 2016.

1. knobby67

knobby67

Hi,
    I've just noticed that when I open unity 5.4 it shows this. On the top bar. Is this right? I'm running priority linux AMD drivers on Lubuntu.
    Thanks

2. Tak

Tak

Right now, the rendering backend is forced to OpenGL 2.1, until we work out some remaining issues with OpenGL core in the linux editor.

dan_ginovker and knobby67 like this.
  3. cician

cician

To elaborate:
    Unity has multiple rendering backends, even on the same platform. The OpenGL 2.1 is supposed to be removed in near future, superseded by "glcore", which handles features provided by modern OpenGL versions, like tessellation and compute shaders, thus the deprecated in the name. For now glcore has some serious issues so the editor is fixed to the legacy, but battle tested renderer.
    So no worries, it doesn't mean there's anything bad with your GPU or driver.

knobby67 likes this.
  4. kmare

kmare

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  5. cician

cician

I think it's an unrelated bug. I hope it's high on priority list. Even if my workstation doesn't make a fuss about it, my energy bill is a probably bit little bit higher :rolleyes:

6. knobby67

knobby67

Is this why my laptop is getting very hot running unity?

7. anatolij_cz

anatolij_cz

This thread is a few months old and I'd like to ask if the status of glcore support is still the same?

I'm developing on Windows (DX), but I need to run the project also on Linux - gentoo (OpenGL). I'm using geometry shaders for some effects and they do not work on Linux. I have Unity 5.4.0f3 with the "OpenGL 2.1 deprecated message" on the top.

Is Unity Editor running under OpenGL still limited to OpenGL 2.1?
    Can we expect it to change in a near future?
    Even though the editor is running OpenGL 2.1, there might be a possibility to build the applications with a support of modern OpenGL (?)

Or am I doing something wrong? I'm not a Linux expert, but the GPU in that machine is some new nVidia with recent drivers and OpenGL 4.5 support.

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    Germanunkol likes this.
  8. Tak

Tak

Currently, yes.
    We'll enable the OpenGL core renderer in the Linux editor beginning in 5.5.

Yes, Linux player builds will be able to use the OpenGL core renderer.

Ripster, kiriri and Germanunkol like this.
  9. Germanunkol

Germanunkol

Someone should mention this in the manual. I just spent hours trying to figure out why my geometry shaders just wouldn't work.
    Please, can this be mentioned in a manual page about geometry shaders?
    I'd also expect it on these two pages:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/OpenGLCoreDetails.html
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UsingDX11GL3Features.html

Workaround:
    For anyone else having similar issues: You can publish the game (i.e. "Build and Run" from the "File" Menu, or CTRL+B) and then the correct, new, OpenGL version will be used (if you've set it up correctly in "Edit->Project Settings->Player")

10. MothNut

MothNut

Is there a beta of this version? :D

11. syscrusher

syscrusher

Please forgive an ignorant question here -- I've been a Linux sysadmin for 15 years, but unfortunately servers don't really use graphics, so I've got a bit of a learning curve ahead.

What, from Unity's perspective, is the relationship between Mesa and the hardware OpenGL stack? Suppose, for instance, that I have the "nonfree" nVidia drivers that support OpenGL 4.x but have Mesa 8.x from Debian that is only OpenGL 2.1? Which version does Unity see? If I upgrade Mesa to 12.x (perhaps by compiling from source), can Unity Editor for Linux exploit the new version?

12. knobby67

knobby67

I'm having a few problems understanding what youer asking. If you have official nvidia drivers it will use those drives if you click over to free it will use messa.
    I work in gaming and repeatly read people saying non free are as good, don't know about that but they're certainly not as fast. So I'd always use the official nvidia ones

13. syscrusher

syscrusher

I guess that was my question -- assuming I have the official nVidia drivers installed, are applications like Unity automatically routed to those rather than software emulation in something like llvmpipe? I spent some time on the Mesa documentation pages, and it wasn't clear to me if Mesa cooperates with drivers from the hardware vendor or bypasses them at all but the lowest levels.

I realize my question may not even make sense -- as I said, I've spent 15 years working with headless servers where X11 wasn't even installed.

14. knobby67

knobby67

As far as I'm aware you don't need mesa if you'er using the official Nvidia. I worked on graphics drivers a long long time ago ( 10 years plus ) so I'm pulling things from forgotten memories. But I always just install official now AMD/Nvidia now. I don't bother with mesa.
    As I'm finding out with learning Unity much of the info you pull from the net is contradictory or plain wrong :s

15. syscrusher

syscrusher

The more documentation I read online, the more confusing this gets. I think @knobby67 is correct, at least in the case of nVidia drivers. This is why I will use a game engine like Unity and never, ever, EVER try to write my own graphics stack. :)

16. z3ntu

z3ntu

Fixed in the newest version for Linux.