Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Only Research?

Discussion in 'Experimental Scripting Previews' started by eafreak, Jan 19, 2017.

1. eafreak

eafreak

Hallo

Is the C#6 and .Net 4.6 definitely happening?

Meaning, if I start a new project which I know will take 18-24 months to get to the first build stage, how likely is it that the C#6 .Net4.6 update will be released?

According to https://unity3d.com/unity/roadmap, it is still only research and I fear it may take years, if ever, before it is ready for public release.

The project I want to tackle requires .Net 4.6 (compatibility with exiting libraries I have to use). C#6 is much cleaner for me, but not absolutely required however.

Qbit86, Can-Baycay and strich like this.
  2. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

We don't have anything official to say publicly now about when C# 6 and .NET 4.6 support will be released. I can say that, barring something unexpected and catastrophic, it will not take years. I think months is a better order of magnitude.

We're hoping to have a preview build available via this forum section that includes nearly all of the players within days, so that build is probably a good place to start. Also, if you've not tried the previous editor-only previews we released, please try the latest one now.

topaz7, rakkarage, Xarbrough and 2 others like this.
  3. Shrikky23

Shrikky23

Few months? I think that is reasonable. We waited this long, so lets wait a little more so you can get out the best possible build. Anyway, I am going to try one of the editor previews with my existing VR projects and will post if I find something of use.

JoshPeterson likes this.
  4. dadude123

dadude123

great news! can't wait. :)

c#6 and especially the coming c#7 features are really a god sent for unity. (and ofc the .net runtime improvements themselves)

rakkarage likes this.
  5. Qbit86

Qbit86

6. Player7

Player7

same here.. its probably the biggest reason for me aswel. I haven't used c# much outside of Unity in the last year so the language improvements being made in these newer c# .net versions has slipped by. Though I can't wait to use string interpolation .. always disliked the current ways. $"yes coming.. {soon}" :)

7. tarahugger

tarahugger

Excellent, i am very pleased to hear you're going to support a modern version of .net.

rakkarage likes this.
  8. dadude123

dadude123

Hi,
    are you guys still on track with that estimate?
    I really hope this makes it into 5.7 or 2017 or whatever it will be called from now on :)

Will a new experimental release be published soon?
    What are the current issues you guys are trying to solve, if I may ask? :)
    Anything we can do to help with this?

rakkarage and Qbit86 like this.
  9. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Yes, we are still on track, although we don't have anything to announce yet. I'm not sure about another experimental release. We don't have a firm plan for another one in the next week or so, but that could always change. At the moment we are working through reported bugs on the latest preview release and getting things work with the new Mono runtime on more platforms. It is not really anything exciting now - more like grunt work that needs to be done.

The best thing you can do it continue to test the latest preview build. Any feedback is really helpful.

Laicasaane and dadude123 like this.
  10. bdovaz

bdovaz

Does this mean that it will be in the next beta?

https://twitter.com/jon_cham/status/835923268838244354

It would be a huge achievement.

11. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

It will not be in the 5.6 series, I can say that much. Other than that, we have nothing to announce yet (but we're getting close).

12. bdovaz

bdovaz

I mean the next beta, Unity 2017 or whatever name it has.

13. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

I can't say anything else yet. Once we land it internally to a release branch, we'll prepare some kind of communication (maybe a forum post or a blog post).

14. Genom

Genom

Hi Josh, about the bug that was preventing to work in WebGl, do you know if it is already fixed?

regards!

15. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@Genom: No, I don't think that bug is corrected internally yet.

16. strich

strich

Hey @JoshPeterson, could I request that the next build be upon a release version of Unity? IE the v5.6 final slated for the end of March? We're finding it a bit difficult to use the scripting beta along with all the genuine Unity beta bugs abound. :)

mdrotar likes this.
  17. mdrotar

mdrotar

I think even better would be some recent version of 5.5 because the first release of 5.6 will probably still be pretty buggy.

18. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the suggestions, we will keep them in mind. I can't say yet when the next preview build will be ready, or which release it will be based on. We're pretty heads-down coding at the moment to work through existing issues now.

strich likes this.