Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[70% OFF!] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. BHS

BHS

I looked further into this and I can't seem to recreate it. The lightning continues to flash and the procedural lightning bolts keep generating all in the Standalone build mode. Make sure that your lightning seconds aren't set to a high value, which could make it seem like the lightning isn't working.

2. Stormy102

Stormy102

@BHS Could you make the UniStorm system have an Instance so I can call
    Code (CSharp):
    1. UniStormSystem_C.Instance

BHS likes this.
  3. anunnaki2016

anunnaki2016

@BHS helloo ^^

For lightning flash is good now, ^^ is another player in scene i have delete and is good

2.4 version

ufpsMp,
    sky have speed 10000000 is crazy after build but just for remote player, Master is good, in last version is good but now no more ;/

Editor is master and build a remote player ufpsmp

dont have prefab for ufpsMp?

thanks for help

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  4. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

No, the renderer and the prefab are not enabled when in play mode.

Attached Files:

5. Twoonebe

Twoonebe

no sale on unistorm :-(

6. RoyS

RoyS

I've searched the forum and found someone asking about making the nights darker. So I went to "Unistorm System Editor" (in Hierarchy under Unistorm System C Clone) --> "Lighting Options" and changed the Sky Night Color, Ground Night Color and Night Ambient Intensity and it changed nothing.

What settings do we change to make the night sky and ground darker?

7. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking or what the problem is. Can you please explain with more detail.

If they are not in play mode, the particle effect shouldn't be visible. What version of Unity are you using? I can't seem to recreate your issue. When I try this, the particle effect is always disabled.

Hey there!

A near pitch black night is certainly possible. I would recommend using the Gradient Ambient Source located under the Lightning Options for more control.

Try adjusting these settings to a darker color:
    Sky Tint Color Night (located under the Atmosphere Options) - Controls how dark your night sky is.
    Night Fog Color (located under the Fog Options) - Helps make the horizon and distant land darker.
    Moon Color (located under the Moon Options) - What is usually responsible for making night too bright.
    Gradient Ambient Source (located under the Lighting Options) - Adjusting all these settings (Sky, Equator, and Ground) to a darker color can give you near pitch black nights.
    Reflection Intensity Night - Setting this lower can make your terrain much darker. This is usually responsible for making your terrain bright and glowing at night. Turning this to 0.1 or 0 can fix this.
    Clouds Night Color (located under the Cloud Options) - You may also need to adjust your night cloud color if you're making the above settings darker.

The results of adjusting the settings above (It's even possible to go much darker than this):
    DarkerNights.png

8. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

The particle effect is not visible when not in play mode.

I am using the latest version of Unity with a clean install of Unistorm. I disable the Lightning bugs and uncheck the renderer on it. When I play, the effect shows. The effect seems to only show in the trees, which makes it look like I have Christmas lights in all my trees.

In previous versions I just had to disable the lightning bugs and they would not appear ingame. .

9. Reiner

Reiner

how can i syncron unistorm with Playway Water?

Greetz Reiner

10. BHS

BHS

I was able to get it working in an older version of Unity, but maybe it's different with the newest version of Unity. I will take a look at it tomorrow to see if I can find a solution for you. If you want a temporary solution, you can set the size to 0 or make the material fully transparent.

Hey there!

UniStorm hasn't been tested with Playway Water so I couldn't tell you exactly how to do so. However, I can reach out the developers to see if we can find out how to do so.

helgarddebarros and Reiner like this.
  11. combatsheep

combatsheep

Hi,
    Does it possible to fly through the volumetric clouds with plane?
    (like attached scene)
    FlyingCarp.png

Please tell me.

12. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

UniStorm's clouds are not volumetric so they can't be flown through. However, there are a couple cheap solutions on the Asset Store. You could have these fade in once a player reaches a certain height to get the results you are looking for. GTA V uses a similar technique.

syscrusher likes this.
  13. combatsheep

combatsheep

Thanks, BHS!

14. Rotary-Heart

Rotary-Heart

Hello, after following this setup I can't get my terrain more darker than this. All the colors and settings are set to black

Capture.PNG

I tried the same settings with the scenes provided as demo and I get the same thing

15. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

What version of Unity are you using? I have tested these settings in a few different versions of Unity and was able to achieve pitch black terrain and lighting.

Have you checked that you set the Night Reflection Intensity is set to 0 and that the Moon Light Color is set to a near black color?

Here's a screenshot of UniStorm in Unity 5.6.0.3f using the said settings:
    DarkerNights2.png

16. Rotary-Heart

Rotary-Heart

Night Reflection Intensity was the issue, I had it to nearly 0 not 0. With the moon color I can't set it to be higher than (HSV) 000 because I get this kind of sky

Capture.PNG

17. BHS

BHS

This happens because you need to apply your sun to the Sun slot under the Light Settings (Environment Settings). This is done automatically in versions of Unity 5.5 and higher using the Auto Player Setup, but has to be done manually with older versions of Unity due to the lack of API Unity provides.

A quick guide on how to do so can be found with the link below. It only takes a few seconds then you will have properly colored dark night skies.
    http://unistorm-weather-system.wiki...My_Sky_gets_bright_.28and_or_blue.29_at_night

18. Rotary-Heart

Rotary-Heart

Many many thanks!! Those 2 settings fixed my issue. I didn't run the Auto setup since I had the system already setup on my scenes.

19. Stormy102

Stormy102

You should be able to set the sun automatically at runtime too @BHS

d1favero likes this.
  20. Barry100

Barry100

hi unistorm guy. I am still getting shadow flickers even when I set the settings to what you recommend in the wiki. Can you help ?

21. BHS

BHS

Great idea! It will be added with the next version.

Hey there!

The shadow flickering can also be fixed by increasing the Near Clipping Plane on your camera to 0.5. This is a Unity issue, not UniStorm, but I hope it reolves your flickering issue.

Stormy102 likes this.
  22. Barry100

Barry100

hi - my near clipping plain is at 1.3 and far clipping is set to 801
    I have 2 cameras. One just for the chracter (near clipping at 0.4 far at 1.3 so walls dont fall in the view of this camera)

and the other as above. Still getting pretty dodgy flickering

23. BHS

BHS

Flickering shadows have been a recurring problem in Unity. It has to do with Unity's directional lights, which UniStorm uses. Try increasing your Far Clipping Plane to around 18,000 as the Near and Far Clipping Plane play a role in shadows. The Far Clipping Plane setting is needed to see all of UniStorm's distant components.

24. Barry100

Barry100

hi - forgot to mention I actually use 3 cameras. the third camera is near 1000 to far 20000 so I can see unistorm clouds etc.. Been using it for a long time so I know the distances etc expected. I cant increase my scene camera (the one that is 1.5 to 800) as it will then take in too many buildings and things in my scene which slows down the FPS by an unacceptable amount.

25. BHS

BHS

Strange, I can't seem to create your issue. I have tested this with both a first person setup and a 3rd person setup.

Are using using any other plugins? Where exactly are you seeing the shadow flickering?

26. Barry100

Barry100

I see the shadows flicker on buildings - especially large flat surfaces. I am using a fog plugin but it is the same with it turned on or off

27. Barry100

Barry100

im going to make a quick video right now - give me 10 minutes

28. Barry100

Barry100

lol used fraps ended up 3 gig! Ill do it tomorrow morning

29. Rotary-Heart

Rotary-Heart

Hello BHS,

I have a suggestion for the Unistorm events editor. Can you include a button to remove an event instead of removing the last one? Like, lets say that I have 10 events and I want to delete the first one. I already have modified the editor to do this, but it will get erased when there's a new update.

I can send it to you guys if you want.

30. SirAlamo

SirAlamo

Hi everybody,
    so i have installed the new unistorm 2.4 and tried to fix my problem with the blurry skybox but nothing helped. Can you explain in Detail how to solve this with the new Unity 5.6 Post Process Image effects? I have tried to manage it with the globalfog but nothing helped.
    Please Need Help soon, the next build of my Project must be finished at the end of the week.
    See also the two attached screenshots. First one with Unistorm 2.3 and Unity 5.4.5 and second one with Unsitorm 2.4 and Unity 5.6. The older one Looks way more sharper and more realistic to me.

Attached Files:

31. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

Thanks for the suggestion. We plan on doing this with the next version of UniStorm.

Hey there!

Are you using UniStorm Mobile or Desktop?

Unity 5.6's new Post Processing Effects shouldn't be affecting your sky. Make sure that you don't have the old Global Fog Image Effect on your camera. Also, make sure you don't have the Global Fog Affects Skybox checked.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  32. SirAlamo

SirAlamo

Hi!
    I'm using the Desktop Version of Unistorm (Projekt is: DirectX 11 build for standalone player). How can i check if the global fog Image effect is on my camera/cameras? Can't find it there. And also where could i find the Checkbox "Global Fog Affects Skybox" to check if it is on or off?
    Thanks in advance!

33. BHS

BHS

You can check to see if the Global Fog image effect is on your camera by looking at your camera and looking for the Global Fog image effect component.

With you using Unity 5.6, I'm assuming you have the new Post Processing Stack image effects. Ensure that the Exclude Skybox is checked like below.

Settings.png

As for your before and after screenshot, UniStorm Desktop hasn't used that cloud shader in over a year. If you want the clouds you had before, you can use the UniStorm Mobile cloud materials.

34. BHS

BHS

35. SirAlamo

SirAlamo

Ok thanks!
    That helps me very much further! And yes, i am using the new post processing stack of unity 5.6. The fog effect is neither applied to the cameras nor in the post processing effects, since I use the forward rendering path. Is this in your opinion not the best solution? Should i better use the deferred path to get the maximum Quality for Unistorm?

Concerning the Cloud shader, i have used the javascript shader of the desktop Version before, not the mobile ones. I'm assuming that I can simply change the tilling of the clouds in the shader to achieve a similar optic like before?

Best regards!

36. SSL7

SSL7

So again i have problem with the new version. I used 2.2.4 that worked fine and didnt upgraded due to the fact that it was hard for me to setup unistorm with my game, but now with the new features i would like to have the update.

My player spawns to world via a script and i use this script in unistorm to work (and i use the 0.1 delay to initialize as i read in a previous post that you said and it used to work on 2.2.4:
    "
    The sunTrans is the transform UniStorm uses to move the sun and moon. This is found and assigned on start in the InitializeUniStorm function. If this is missed, it wouldn't properly rotate the sun which would make the scene look like that.

I'm not sure why your spawning method isn't working, but if I had to guess, it would be because your player isn't spawning before UniStorm initializes. Someone a few posts back was having the same issue with the ORK system and what they did was delay UniStorm initializing by about 0.1 seconds to give their player spawning system a chance to spawn.",

i even tried 3.9f to be sure the player is spawned, and it is spawned).

Unity 5.5 btw. and all objects are pi

void Start ()

{
    StartCoroutine(WaitforReady());
    }

IEnumerator WaitforReady()
    {
    print(Time.time);
    yield return new WaitForSeconds(0.1f);
    print(Time.time);
    //Initialize and setup UniStorm
    InitializeUniStorm();
    }

That used to work fine with the 2.2.4 but now i get these errors:

UnassignedReferenceException: The variable sunTrans of UniStormWeatherSystem_C has not been assigned.
    You probably need to assign the sunTrans variable of the UniStormWeatherSystem_C script in the inspector.
    UniStormWeatherSystem_C.FixedUpdate () (at Assets/UniStorm (Desktop)/Scripts (Desktop)/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs:1304)

I remade my char (used auto player setup but then i had to use the get unistorm script for my player as i always do because it doesnt work otherwise without the player on the scene in the first place, also created a new weather system from the menu.

EDIT: Ok it seems I found this problem and fixed it, but now i dont get the clouds moving with the following error:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UniStormWeatherSystem_C.CloudController () (at Assets/UniStorm (Desktop)/Scripts (Desktop)/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs:3050)
    UniStormWeatherSystem_C.FixedUpdate () (at Assets/UniStorm (Desktop)/Scripts (Desktop)/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs:1302)

never had this error on 2.2.4

EDIT 2: the error exists but for 18 frames and then stops, like the other stuff until Unistorm starts after IEnumerator, any way to avoid having these errors on console while opening Unistorm 0.1 secconds after my player ?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  37. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Hi BHS, im getting these errors in the console. unity 5.6 default settings for unistorm.

Please apply a C# Sun Shaft Script to your camera GameObject.
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    UniStormWeatherSystem_C:GetAllComponents() (at Assets/UniStorm (Desktop)/Scripts (Desktop)/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs:994)
    UniStormWeatherSystem_C:InitializeUniStorm() (at Assets/UniStorm (Desktop)/Scripts (Desktop)/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs:577)
    UniStormWeatherSystem_C:Start() (at Assets/UniStorm (Desktop)/Scripts (Desktop)/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs:550)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UniStormWeatherSystem_C.TimeOfDayCalculator () (at Assets/UniStorm (Desktop)/Scripts (Desktop)/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs:1328)
    UniStormWeatherSystem_C.InitializeUniStorm () (at Assets/UniStorm (Desktop)/Scripts (Desktop)/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs:779)
    UniStormWeatherSystem_C.Start () (at Assets/UniStorm (Desktop)/Scripts (Desktop)/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs:550)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  38. Barry100

Barry100

@AndyNeoman you need to apply a sun shaft to yolur camera.

39. Barry100

Barry100

Or @AndyNeoman

//Don't try to assign sun if no Sun Shafts component is found
    if (cameraObjectComponent.GetComponent<SunShafts>() != null){
    cameraObjectComponent.GetComponent<SunShafts>().sunTransform = sunShaftsPositionObject.transform;
    }

40. BHS

BHS

You're welcome!

I would recommend using the C# version, if you aren't already using it. The C# version has many improvements.

You should be able to use the Post Processing Stack even with the Forward rending path.

Hey there!

You need to apply a Sun Shafts Image Effect to your camera that's using UniStorm.

Hey there!

The easiest way to do this is to disable the UniStorm script on the UniStormSystemEditor game object while still in editor mode and enable UniStorm with a Coroutine during runtime. UniStorm will not initialize or call its Start function until it's enabled. This will allow you to set a custom delay so your player can be instantiated. This way also allows you to assign all needed UniStorm components with the GetUniStormComponents example script that's included with UniStorm.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. public class EnableUniStorm : MonoBehaviour {
    7.     public float StartDelaySeconds;
    9.     void Start () {
    10.         StartCoroutine("UniStormEnableDelay");
    11.     }
    13.     IEnumerator UniStormEnableDelay () {
    14.         yield return new WaitForSeconds(StartDelaySeconds);
    15.         GameObject.Find("UniStormSystemEditor").GetComponent<UniStormWeatherSystem_C>().enabled = true;
    16.     }
    17. }

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  41. ForgedChaos

ForgedChaos

Hiya BHS,

We're considering UniStorm Desktop and noticed you mention that multi-player info is in your documentation but I can't seem to find it. Can you please point me in the right direction?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Lohrion likes this.
  42. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Hi BHS,
    I reapplied and it is fine. Just a question though, is there a way to use prism sunshafts instead of unity effects?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  43. Lohrion

Lohrion

Hello BHS,

I'm using Unistorm for setting up a small cinematic. I have two scenes, where the second is additionally loaded and located around 3000 units away from the center of the first scene.

The first scene holds the UniStorm components and a portal to the second scene, here everything is working nice in an early dawn, thunderstorms setting.

In the second scene, I created a weather zone for sunny weather. Yet, everything there is nearly pitch black as if there was no sun or only very little light at all (the only thing visible are reflections in the water). I expected it to be rather bright, or (according to the other scene) in an early dawn setting.

Do you have an idea what could cause this behavior, or what I could try to achieve the desired effect?

Thank you,
    Best regards,
    Patrick

44. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

Multi-player as in online or with multiple players locally?

If you are doing it locally, you could have all players' particle effects reference the first player. The first player would be the player that'd actually connected to the UniStorm system.

If you are doing it over the network, you could use the example below as a starting point. It has 1 player run everything as a master client which then sends the weather and time data to other clients when the weather changes/time is updated. If the master client is disconnected, the master client status is passed on to another player to act as the master client. As long as players don't have access to the Time and Weather changing tools, the time or weather can not be altered by anyone other UniStorm itself changing the weather and having the time flow. This can be handled differently, but it's a nice starting point you need help with UniStorm and Photon.

Code (CSharp):
    2. //Photon Example
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. public class UniStormNetworkSync : Photon.MonoBehaviour
    5. {
    6.     public GameObject UniStormObject;
    7.     public UniStormWeatherSystem_C UniStormSystem;
    8.     public PhotonView thisPhotonView;
    9.     void Start ()
    10.     {
    11.         UniStormObject = GameObject.Find ("UniStormSystemEditor");
    12.         UniStormSystem = UniStormObject.GetComponent<UniStormWeatherSystem_C>();
    13.         thisPhotonView = GetComponent<PhotonView>();
    14.     }
    15.     void Update()
    16.     {
    17.         if (PhotonNetwork.isMasterClient)
    18.         {
    19.             this.thisPhotonView.RPC ("ChangeWeather", PhotonTargets.All, UniStormSystem.weatherForecaster, UniStormSystem.startTime, UniStormSystem.minuteCounter, UniStormSystem.dayCounter, UniStormSystem.monthCounter);
    20.         }
    21.     }
    22.     [PunRPC]
    23.     public void ChangeWeather(int weatherType, float mytime, int minute, int day, float month)
    24.     {
    25.         if (!PhotonNetwork.isMasterClient)
    26.         {
    27.             UniStormSystem.weatherForecaster = weatherType;
    28.             UniStormSystem.startTime = mytime;
    29.             UniStormSystem.minuteCounter = minute;
    30.             UniStormSystem.dayCounter = day;
    31.             UniStormSystem.monthCounter = month;
    32.         }
    33.     }
    34.     public void OnPhotonPlayerConnected()
    35.     {
    36.         this.thisPhotonView.RPC("ChangeWeather", PhotonTargets.All, UniStormSystem.weatherForecaster,UniStormSystem.startTime, UniStormSystem.minuteCounter, UniStormSystem.dayCounter, UniStormSystem.monthCounter);
    37.     }
    38. }

Hey there!

You should be able to do it, but it would require altering the UniStorm system and replacing the Sun Shaft effects with Prism's.

Hey Patrick!

The weather zone should handle everything correctly. However, there is now a better way for handling weather and time changing through UniStorm's new API.

If you would like UniStorm's weather to be changed to Sunny and the time to be changed to early dawn when the other scene starts, you could use the script below. I'm assuming you want everything to change instantly. This will change it right when the second scene starts.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class SetTimeAndWeather : MonoBehaviour {
    6.     void Start () {
    7.         UniStormWeatherSystem_C UniStormSystem = Object.FindObjectOfType<UniStormWeatherSystem_C>();
    8.         UniStormSystem.ChangeWeatherInstant(8); //Changes the weather to Sunny, instantly
    9.         UniStormSystem.SetTime(6,30); //Changes the time to early dawn (6:30)
    10.     }
    11. }

45. hsxtreme

hsxtreme

The camera "crashes" and runs

Code (CSharp):
    1. The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'Camera') is missing!

46. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

This isn't from UniStorm, but it sounds like you're missing a script reference on your camera. What version of Unity are you using?

47. hsxtreme

hsxtreme

48. Lohrion

Lohrion

Hey BHS,

thank you for the quick reply and thank you for the hint to the new API - that will surely come in handy, and playing around with that somehow fixed the problem of everything being too dark!

What I meant (and failed to spell out clearly, now that I read my post again, sorry for that) was that I basically wanted two different weathers and times, as the look through the portal should already show the nice and sunny weather while left and right of it the weather should still be dark and rainy. This time, I attached two screenshots, hoping to make it clearer. Please don't mind the seethrough-effects, missing water and light blue background inside the portal, I'm still working on that xP

Do you have any suggestions on how to achieve that?

Best regards,
    Patrick

Attached Files:

49. BHS

BHS

I'm not exactly sure what can be causing your camera message in the Unity Console. This is the first I've ever heard of it. Have you tried testing out UniStorm example scenes to see if they are working properly? If this is happening in your custom scene, it sounds like you are missing a script on your camera.

Hey Patrick!

No need to apologize. I think I have an idea of how you can achieve what you want. From my understanding you want two weather types visible at a time depending on what side of the portal you are on?

UniStorm can only have 1 active weather type, and a current time, at a time. If you wanted to have to two weather types happening at once, with two separate times, you would need two UniStorm systems, one for each scene. You could switch between the two as your player enters each portal taking them to the other scene.

The camera would need be linked to both UniStorm systems. If you want the particle effects to be visible from each side of the portal, their position would need to be assigned around the portal each time the player leaves.

For example, it's raining in scene 1. When the player leaves scene 1 to go to scene 2, where it's sunny, you would remove the particle effects from the player and make them stay around the portal in scene 1 to be visible from scene 2. When your player reenters scene 1, you would reassign the particle effects to your player so they follow your player as normal. Disabling the particle effects would be the easiest as you would just use something like UniStormSystemScene1.DisableParticleEffects(true) to disable the particle effects and rain sounds.

Does this sound more in the right direction of what you are trying to achieve?

50. Lohrion

Lohrion

Thanks a lot, this is actually quite to the point of what I wanted :) Sadly, I think I still didn't understand the details. Having two UniStorm systems sounds like the right thing, but both must be active to have a different weather type on each side of the portal at the same time, right? If both are active, the skybox flickers really fast (presumably between early dawn and sunny weather, as both systems fight for setting it).

How could I go about solving that? Can I assign separate procedural skyboxes to each scene? I could send you a stripped-down example project, if that makes it any easier :)