Search Unity

[RELEASED] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Great, thanks.

2. BHS

BHS

Sorry for any posts we have missed. These are replies to those we may have missed.

Great to hear you're liking UniStorm.

You can adjust the darkness at night by adjusting your Night Ambiance Lighting. If that isn't dark enough, lower your Moon Intensity and/or color for night (It's under Moon Options).

I'm not sure why there is a white rectangle. It could be an image or background through the UI make sure that there aren't any extra images or background as this could be what's causing your issue.

Great to hear. Feel free to showoff what you've done here.

That's because you are calling the wrong damage handler. You need to call the Player's damage handler.

You're looking for vp_FPPlayerDamageHandler

You should also not call GetComponent in the Update function. I know we do this, but it's simply for an example. We will be sure to update it.

If you want your player to be damaged by cold weather, it should be like this. We went ahead and wrote this for the UniStorm/UFPS community as it's been asked quite a bit. (We will also add this to our Wiki site.)

Code (CSharp):
    1. //Damage from UniStorm's Weather using UFPS
    2. //Black Horizon Studios
    4. using UnityEngine;
    5. using System.Collections;
    7. public class DamageFromUniStorm : MonoBehaviour
    8. {
    9.     UniStormWeatherSystem_C uniStormSystem;        //Our UniStorm Script
    10.     GameObject uniStormObject;
    12.     public vp_FPPlayerDamageHandler playerDamageScript;        //The UFPS script that allows damage  
    14.     public float coldDamageAmount;         //Doesn't just have to be from cold. This can be for anything UniStorm related.
    16.     public float checkTemperature = 10;        //How often the script checks the temperature. This also is how often the player is damaged when the temp is 32 or below
    17.     public float checkTemperatureTimer = 0;
    19.     //Get our components and store them so we don't have to use GetComponent in the update function
    20.     void Start ()
    21.     {
    22.         playerDamageScript = GetComponent<vp_FPPlayerDamageHandler>();        //Our reference to the damage handler
    23.         uniStormObject = GameObject.Find("UniStormSystemEditor");      
    24.         uniStormSystem = uniStormObject.GetComponent<UniStormWeatherSystem_C>();     //Our reference to UniStorm
    25.     }
    27.     void Update ()
    28.     {
    29.         //Used to check temperature only when checkTemperature's time is reached to avoid checking it every frame.
    30.         //This is also used to check how often the player is damaged from cold weather
    31.         checkTemperatureTimer += Time.deltaTime;
    33.         //It's above freezing
    34.         if (checkTemperatureTimer >= checkTemperature && uniStormSystem.temperature >= 33)
    35.         {
    36.             checkTemperatureTimer = 0;        //Reset our timer and check when the time has been met
    37.         }
    39.         //It's below freezing
    40.         if (checkTemperatureTimer >= checkTemperature && uniStormSystem.temperature <= 32)
    41.         {
    42.             playerDamageScript.Damage(coldDamageAmount);    //Damage our UFPS player using the vp_FPPlayerDamageHandler script
    43.             checkTemperatureTimer = 0;        //Reset our timer and check when the time has been met
    44.         }
    45.     }
    46. }

There's no limit. We have had customers use huge terrains in the past.

What you can do is use the 2 Camera Setup. http://unistorm-weather-system.wikia.com/wiki/Tutorials#Using_UniStorm_with_a_2_camera_setup

You can also have your UniStorm system follow your player's X and Z positions, excluding rotations. This will allow the sky system to always be with your player no matter how far your player goes.

3. man277

man277

I'm not getting any shadows in preview mode or in an exported game, although I can see them in the Scene tab and the Game tab. Does anyone know what's going on? I have Unistorm set up exactly as it's said in the Wiki. I even tried changing the camera to Unity's default FPS camera and shadows still don't show up. Everything else works fine.

I'm using the latest versions of Unity and Unistorm.

4. BHS

BHS

Shadows are handled through the UniStorm editor. There are 2 options, one for the sun and one for the moon. Ensure that both shadows are enabled for both lights within the editor under Sun and Moon Options.

5. BHS

BHS

UniStorm 2.0.6 has been submitted and is awaiting approval.

This update will allow UniStorm Mobile and Desktop to be fully independent so you can import either or when importing UniStorm into your projects. However, both can still be used if desired.

We have also added our dynamic plant growing system.

How it Works
    It works by tracking UniStorm's Weather, Time, Sunlight, and Temperature. If the conditions are met, the Sun Intensity has reached 0.5, the Rain Intensity has reached 100, the current Temperature is greater than 70 degrees, etc., then roll a grow. This will only happen once per UniStorm Hour. When the system rolls, it has a 10% to %100 chance to grow, depending on your customized odds. This is similar to how Minecraft does their plant system. We used this approach because it adds a dynamic touch to the plants allowing some of them to be bigger than others. Plants will grow on an X, Y, and Z axis according to the amount set within the Editor. Once the Max grow size is reached, the system is turned off. The Max Growth amount applies to each axis. We used a variable isFullyGrown and made it public to be used for things like harvesting.

Inhibiting Options controls what conditions stop your plant from growing, such as a certain season or a below a certain temperature. Inhibiting Options will affect all Growth Options for each Inhibitor that is active stopping the plant from growing until that condition is passed. For example: If the season is Winter, and the Inhibitor for Winter is enabled, the plant will no longer grow even though the Sunlight Intensity has been reached. Once Winter is over, the plant will continue to grow as it should when the Sunlight growth condition has bee met.

All this is completely external and requires no modification to UniStorm.

We also plan on developing a few more system for our customers to use to get the most out of UniStorm. The possibilities to UniStorm are truly endless.

The Dynamic Plant Growth System Editor
    image.png

Plants that have dynamically grown according to certain conditions form UniStorm's variables
    image.png image.png

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  6. man277

man277

Thanks for the reply. Shadows were enabled in both the sun and moon options, I assume by default as I didn't touch those settings until today.

Here's the scene tab:
    scene.png

...and the Game tab:
    game.png

Here's what it looks like when I click on the Play button (It also looks like this when I export it):
    game-preview.png

Here's the Sun Options:
    Sun-Options.png

...and the Moon Options:
    Moon-Options.png

I've tried setting shadows to soft and messing around with the intensity and it still doesn't look right. Another thing I've noticed is that the Screen Space Ambient Obscurance and Global Fog scripts don't work when you press the Play button or when it's been exported, but they show up in the Game tab. I've tried the demo scenes as well and the exact same thing is happening on them.

Also, I'm running Unity on a crappy MSI laptop. Could that be the cause? Here's the specs:

Intel Core i7 4710-HQ @3.5GHz
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 860M 2GB RAM
    16GB RAM
    Windows 8.1

7. BHS

BHS

That's very strange. We have never had a problem with shadows not working.

It could be a Unity or a specs issue. We use a standard Directional Light for our sun so it's nothing on our end.

It could also be the quality settings that your project is set on. Ensure that shadows are enabled on all quality settings (Do this in Unity using Edit>Project Settings>Quality). I would double check this because I'm pretty sure it's what's causing it.

8. man277

man277

Quality settings are set to 'fantastic'. I forgot to mention that I have this problem with both the Javascript and C# versions of Unistorm.

I removed Unistorm as a test and put in a normal directional light and I've had no problems with the shadows, they show up when I click on Play and when the game is exported. Here's some more pictures:

The Scene tab:
    scene2.png

...and the Game tab:
    game2.png

...and when I click on the Play button:
    preview2.png

Here's my quality settings:
    Quality.png

Also, the Global Fog and Screen Space Ambient Obscurance scripts work, too.

9. BHS

BHS

Very strange.

Are you using a connected prefab system of UniStorm? (Meaning the UniStorm System is highlighted blue in the hierarchy). If so, your system is being instanced and reverting to the original prefab. If not, we will find out what's causing it.

What's strange is that we aren't having this problem when we build. Is this a Standalone build?

10. man277

man277

Unistorm is black in the hierarchy and yes, it's a standalone build.

Edit: Completely reinstalled Unity and Unistorm and now I'm getting errors about 'namespace' even though I reimported the image effects. Also, Unistorm doesn't show up in the Window tab anymore, so I can't add it to the scene.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  11. BHS

BHS

It sounds like Unity is causing import issues.

Reimport UniStorm reimport the image effects and your problem should be fixed.

What's the exact namespace error you're having? It's usually associated with the image effects not matching the current version of Unity.

12. TonyLi

TonyLi

The Dialogue System for Unity 1.5.6.1 is now available on the Asset Store with built-in support for UniStorm. UniStorm makes it really easy to let characters bark about the weather, give out quests and information based on the time of day, etc.

13. man277

man277

I'm not getting the error anymore, but if I remember correctly, it was something about there already being a instance of an image effect? I didn't screencap it because I assumed you already knew about it as it's on the wiki.

Anyway, I've been able to import and add Unistorm to my scene and I now, finally, have shadows, however they are still not working right.

Here's what it looks like now, this is with default settings (Shadows are enabled and Screen Space Ambient Obscurance and Global Fog still don't work):
    preview3.png

The Scene tab:
    scene3.png

The Game tab:
    game3.png

The hierarchy:
    hierarchy.png

14. BHS

BHS

I think this has something to do with your build settings. It's strange that it works in the scene and game view, but when you build it you have issues.

Ensure that you have also applied your Sun_Moon light to the Sun Tab of Window>Lighting>Environmental Lighting.

15. BHS

BHS

That's great. Thanks for sharing.

Not sure if you already have support for AI, but our system Emerald AI allows for easy NPC creation and wandering, which could make it great for a Dialogue System.

16. man277

man277

Yes, the Sun_Moon light has been applied to the Sun setting in Environmental Lighting. Also, I think I may have found something:

Here's my current Sun_Moon settings, the only thing I've changed is the shadows - From Hard Shadows to Soft Shadows:
    sun-moon.png

Here's how it looks when I click Play:
    sun-moon-Play.png

The color intensity and shadow strength go way down and the shadows change from Soft to Hard. I've tried changing some settings, but it keeps going back to that whenever I press Play.

17. BHS

BHS

I believe this is because UniStorm is reverting back to the Prefab setting, which it shouldn't because this was fixed with version 2.0. What version are you using?

UniStorm alters the sun's settings at runtime. If it's too bright, try using a lower sun intensity. Also, be sure that you are using the Color option for your Ambient Source. Sometimes Unity does some odd stuff when Skybox is used.

Follow this quick tutorial to break the prefab connection, if you have't already done so.
    http://unistorm-weather-system.wiki..._UniStorm_editor_will_not_keep_values_I_enter

18. TonyLi

TonyLi

Emerald AI and UniStorm are both near the front of the list for integration with my upcoming procedural quest generation product. Once integration is written for that, it should be fairly quick to add Emerald AI integration into the Dialogue System, too!

Licarell likes this.
  19. man277

man277

Thanks for the link, but that's not working either:
    uniprefabgrey.png

The way I'm adding Unistorm to my scene is Window>UniStorm>Create Weather System>Desktop>JavaScript (Or C#). Am I adding it right or is there some other way to do it? Also, I'm using Unistorm 2.0.5 and Unity 5.2.1f1.

20. Prehistoric-Kingdom

Prehistoric-Kingdom

There's some sort of bug with the 2.0 version I've recently put into my project. This bug doesn't allow me to play the game in the editor (I can press the play button and the level will load, but then it pauses in the editor). When I try to play it, the console says: Null reference exception and it links to the line 1100 of the UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs:

starSphereComponent.sharedMaterial.maintextureOffset = new Vector2 (offsetx5,0 + .02f);

Is there any idea of what this is caused by? I haven't made any change to the script.

21. man277

man277

I have noticed that if I disable the Uni Storm Weather System script in UniStormSystemEditor, shadows and image effects are working correctly:

uniOff.png

I'm guessing there's something in those options that's causing the problem. I'll mess around with them and see what happens.

22. rkstormer

rkstormer

Is it possible to see the UniStorm effects on multiple cameras? For example if I wanted to have local split screen multiplayer?

23. BHS

BHS

Very strange. We have never encountered this. Now that we know this, we will look into seeing if we can recreate your specific issue and find a solution for it.

We have had customers do this in the past so it is possible.

What you could do is have a global variable that all players are watching. When the weather changes, their weather effects will fade in the appropriate effects. These effects will be attached to the player. An external script will control and modify the effects as needed. You could even have a reference to the effects that UniStorm uses so the effects mimic what UniStorm's effects are doing.

24. BHS

BHS

UniStorm 2.0.6 has been accepted and is now live on the Asset Store!

Get it here:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/2714

This update includes our new highly requested Dynamic Plant Growth System, some bug fixes (the day length can now be set to under 16 without clouds fading in instantly), and a new example scene demonstrating the plant growth system.

How the Dynamic Plant Growth System Works
    It works by tracking UniStorm's Weather, Time, Sunlight, and Temperature. If the conditions are met, the Sun Intensity has reached 0.5, the Rain Intensity has reached 100, the current Temperature is greater than 70 degrees, etc., then roll a grow. This will only happen once per UniStorm Hour. When the system rolls, it has a 10% to %100 chance to grow, depending on your customized odds. This is similar to how Minecraft does their plant system. We used this approach because it adds a dynamic touch to the plants allowing some of them to be bigger than others. Plants will grow on an X, Y, and Z axis according to the amount set within the Editor. Once the Max grow size is reached, the system is turned off. The Max Growth amount applies to each axis. We used a variable isFullyGrown and made it public to be used for things like harvesting.

Inhibiting Options controls what conditions stop your plant from growing, such as a certain season or a below a certain temperature. Inhibiting Options will affect all Growth Options for each Inhibitor that is active stopping the plant from growing until that condition is passed. For example: If the season is Winter, and the Inhibitor for Winter is enabled, the plant will no longer grow even though the Sunlight Intensity has been reached. Once Winter is over, the plant will continue to grow as it should when the Sunlight growth condition has bee met.

All this is completely external and requires no modification to UniStorm.

We also plan on developing a few more system for our customers to use to get the most out of UniStorm. The possibilities to UniStorm are truly endless.

bandicam 2015-10-07 18-31-46-609.png
    bandicam 2015-10-07 18-32-50-024.png
    GrowthSystem(WIP2).png

25. Sphelps

Sphelps

On a new project I am getting allot of errors on playing missing scripts Version 2.0.6.0

26. BHS

BHS

What missing scripts?

27. Sphelps

Sphelps

I am going to try deleting my stuff and re downloading it

28. BHS

BHS

I just tested a fresh import with version 2.0.6 without any errors.

What you are seeing is most likely a conflict with your image effects. Sometimes Unity will through an error if the image effects' versions aren't matched. Simply reimport the image effects after you have imported UniStorm and your issue should be solved.

29. Prehistoric-Kingdom

Prehistoric-Kingdom

Getting two errors in play time: transform.rotation assign attempt for sun_moon is not valid and CompareApproximately. Also all the lights turn black once I hit play.

30. Sphelps

Sphelps

Yea I delete unistorm from my appData and redownloaded it
    Then I imported it again and imported effects again still have referenced script issues
    All in a fresh project

Unity 5.2.1f1

31. BHS

BHS

We have also not herd of this issue nor can we recreate it. Are you receiving any other errors or references? What version of UniStorm are you using? Are you using UniStorm mobile or desktop?

Completely remove UniStorm from your project by deleting both folders.

Are you using UniStorm Desktop or Mobile?

32. Sphelps

Sphelps

I have start a new project deleted the unistorm in the asset download folder(in app data) Redownload unistom and imported everything

I have opened up a project of mine to review the Unistorm file structure and look like some things are missing from the import

Desktop

Thanks for all your hard work :)

33. BHS

BHS

You're welcome.

Are you individually importing the Desktop folder and not the mobile folder? If so, Unity may have packaged things weird resulting in things being placed differently. Try reimporting everything but also including both the desktop and mobile folders.

34. Sphelps

Sphelps

yep that is what happened, I was clicking no for the mobile :)
    You are a genius!
    I am just going to have to delete some things I don't need for mobile :)

35. BHS

BHS

Great to hear everything is working.

We will look into what's causing issues with individually importing the 2 systems and get a fix out for it. As of right now both folders will need to be imported.

Sphelps likes this.
  36. CommunityUS

CommunityUS

Loving these updates, but where are the docs?

Searched assets for "doc" found nothing. Searching in root folders nothing. Searched in project description nothing. Tried to register on your website, on the wait list/pending approval? (do you really get that much spam that you have to hassle the customers with all these steps?) how do i even email you? i just want to read the docs on the new tree system and see your advice to see it in action (see the growth) without having to leave the game on overnight etc.

37. BHS

BHS

Strange. There should be a pdf named documentation that shows where our UniStorm Documentation is. We built an entire Window system for it.

It's located under Windows>UniStorm>Documentation

You can also use the link here: http://unistorm-weather-system.wikia.com/wiki/Home?useskin=oasis

This contains tons of useful information, code references, code examples, tutorials, and more.

We haven't added information on Dynamic Plant Growth System (DPGS) to the UniStorm wiki site. We actually plan on doing it tomorrow. We will post here when we have finished updating the site. We have a lot planned for it other than just more info on DPGS.

Until then, we can answer any questions you may have. The plant system updates every UniStorm hour. You can set the day and night length to something like 3 so you have a 3 minute day. This will allow you to see growth every 7.5 seconds.

Growth also depends on conditions. If all conditions are met, the plant will grow faster.

38. Prehistoric-Kingdom

Prehistoric-Kingdom

Sorry for not mentioning that earlier. I'm using Unistorm 2.0.6, the desktop version. Those are the only errors that I get on play time. It might be north knowing that once I put the unistorm weather system (C#) in the scene, all fields in the unistorm system editor object were empty, so I proceeded to manually assign them. Same thing for all the fog, sky etc colors, all black.

39. BHS

BHS

Well, that's why. You need to make sure all objects are properly assigned. If one thing is missing, UniStorm won't work properly. Find out which objects are missing and assign them.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  40. man277

man277

Okay, thank you for the help! Also, I've just updated to 2.0.6.0 and the problem still persists. Another thing, when I imported the updated Unistorm, I got this error:

error.png

I also can't find the plant growth settings (Unless I'm looking in the wrong place. I thought it would be in UniStormSystemEditor).

41. BHS

BHS

You need to attach the plant growth system script to the plant. It will then have the editor on the plant object.

That isn't an error. It's a warning message stating that there is a variable that isn't used. Pay no attention to it and it in no way affects anything. We will remove it with our next update.

42. man277

man277

Oh, I see. Thanks for the explanation.

43. BHS

BHS

You are welcome. If you have anymore questions, just ask. We are looking into your issue at them moment. We have been able to recreate it. I'm not sure what's happening, but we will find a solution and let you know.

44. BHS

BHS

We have updated our UniStorm Wiki site with am entire page for the Dynamic Plant Growth System. We have also included an example script that allows for harvesting using a RayCast check.

http://unistorm-weather-system.wikia.com/wiki/Dynamic_Plant_Growth_System

If any would like more tutorials, documentation, code references, etc in a section the Wiki is lacking in, please let us know and we will add it.

45. BHS

BHS

@man277

I've looked into your shadow issue and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with UniStorm. It turns out that it's the new terrain shader that Unity 5 uses. If you use the legacy shader for the terrain, shadows appear and the image effects look normal. I did a quick google search and found that some people have had this same issue, even people who aren't using UniStorm.

46. man277

man277

Thank you, but it doesn't seem to be working. I've changed it to Legacy Diffuse and it looks the same.

47. BHS

BHS

Try increasing your Sun's shadow intensity. Also go to your trees and increase their shadow density. I think that's why you are having issues. Trees can alter the shadows from black to none.

48. lofwyre

lofwyre

Hi After importing I have no menu UniStorm menu. I had image effect errors which I fixed. not sure what to try to make it work. Any ideas?

49. lofwyre

lofwyre

ok, it is there when I start with fresh project, I'll start adding packages from the other project and see if there is an issue.

50. lofwyre

lofwyre

It seems removing the mobile folder causes it to disappear from the menu. Is that right?