Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Older asset bundles and 5.4 - Failed to load GpuProgram from binary shader data in ''.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by andyz, Aug 18, 2016.

1. andyz

andyz

We use a lot of asset bundles and some were built with older versions of Unity but worked fine in 5.3 with some material replacement applied - only warnings we would get is "GpuProgram creation error: shader program type is unrecognised. You might have a precompiled shader asset from an old Unity version." for some bundles.

But now in 5.4 the console is full of hundreds of "Failed to load GpuProgram from binary shader data in ''. warning messages which slow the editor to a crawl which is unfortunate as we have a lot of asset bundles to update.

Exactly what is this new warning caused by and does it need to throw it quite so many times in the editor?

2. mgear

mgear

Had the same problem also, reported as #823113,
    got confirmation that its a bug, but they said, not related to building bundles in older version,
    something to do with variants.. (although i didn't have any?)

3. andyz

andyz

ok thanks - will delay upgrading to 5.4 then

4. andyz

andyz

Is this due to be fixed Unity?
    stopping us from upgrading as 100s of warnings slow editor to a crawl

5. andyz

andyz

Please fix - bug Case #831118

6. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Shaders in asset bundles built with older versions than 5.4 are not compatible and will fail to load. In 5.4 we have changed how shader data is serialized so that it loads up much faster & uses less memory in the process. Compatibility with old asset bundles was lost there however.

zombiegorilla likes this.
  7. andyz

andyz

These warning messages were actually all fixed in 5.5.1 but now in 5.6 they are back again and also show errors in the editor with: D3D shader blob is empty! So would appear compatibility went forwards and now backwards again!

JYeah likes this.
  8. Wothanar

Wothanar

still happends on unity 2017.3.03f why?
    HELP!!!!!!!!!! this just come now when i updated to 2017.3.0f3 from 2017.2.0f3 then now i cant fix it , i re builded the assets bundles and re uploaded to the server and changed the num versions ... and now our assets bundles dosnt work and the console trown this errors:

https://gyazo.com/6287d70a4e587e525207809651fcd19a

HELP PLEASE!