Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Unity wants your feedback on usability and artist workflows!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nevin, Apr 25, 2017.

1. CDF

CDF

Please make "No Emulation" the default Graphics Emulation mode. Or, remember the selection I make.

When using shaders targeting model 4.6+ and building for Android/iOS, Graphics emulation always defaults to openGL ES3.0 and it makes me very sad not seeing my beautiful graphics show up in the Editor. So sad.

Nevin and Alverik like this.
  2. Alverik

Alverik

All kinds of people use Unity. Not just experts or seasoned programmers... Built-in tools and common features should be there. They should be as configurable as possible (to achieve as many possible use cases and looks as possible). And should, of course, be removable (or ignorable), if the user so desires.

That's entirely up to the user's taste...

Plus, any tool used creatively or used in a way not originally intended for will result in original looks and feels. If lots of UE4 games look and feel the same is down to the size of the creativity and lack of effort from their creators, not due to the engine.

Too many people blame or praise the engine, when at the end it's all down to one's vision and design...

Besides, better tools, templates and aids are not going to change the fact that some people just want quick results, or a good clone. If they don't use built-in tools uncreatively or lazily, they'll just make do with the asset store... so, no difference.

Yet, I'd rather have a more robust Unity, with better tools at our disposal, to allow people to make (hopefully) better games, faster, without the need of a large budget or a team of experts. After all, Unity, and even Unreal, are about letting anyone realize their vision. Course, it'll require the devs effort too! But, Like someone mentioned before, if you give people better tools, creative people will slowly unearth us some new gems.

And to clarify. I'll say that by now I know enough c# to code most anything I'll need for my games. I have nothing against programmers (I am one already). But, better features help everyone, even those who want to skip learning c# or shader programming (which is a very valid decision), or those that just want their work a little easier (specially small teams or one man teams).

I do agree that art should be made per game, though, or per series. That's why I seriously learned Blender and am currently doing the same with Houdini (nothing beats procedural assets, lol).

Nevin likes this.
  3. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Oh this one is good, i'm almost forgot about this tool. We do need this, since there's no easy way to tell/see shader complexity in unity @Nevin

Shushustorm, Nevin and Alverik like this.
  4. PhilSA

PhilSA

I guess the best solution to all this is if Unity releases these things as "official" asset store packs, while keeping the engine completely clean, unbloated, and "blank canvas-y"

that way, everyone wins

It may not be obvious to everyone, but cleanliness in an engine is extremely important to many people. For example, it was pretty common for devs to remove or rewrite whole chunks of UE3 back in the day before starting to work on their game, because all the bloat was too annoying. When working on medium-to-large sized projects, it sometimes becomes very important to make it impossible to use certain things, just to make sure the whole team is on the same page. This is why releasing things as asset store packs (as opposed to integrated in the engine) would help greatly

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    Nevin, Alverik and laurentlavigne like this.
  5. Alverik

Alverik

That's a nice idea. It's always nice when you can just add the stuff that you need and leave other stuff out unless you really need them. Maybe some features could work like extensions you can activate or deactive right in the editor's project preferences (like you can do with Windows features) or to some extent similar to the built-in list of Standard Assets (though, those are more like examples). Though I guess they could just be official components you can use or not. No one says you have to use the in-built character controller component or the NavmeshAgent, etc.

PS: mind you, my internet sucks, and I always have limited disk space so I don't like redownloading stuff a lot, lol. Official packages in the asset store would serve the same purpose I guess, but the only thing I like about the standard assets is that they're already there if you decide to install them on your project, though I almost never do (I used to install effects before the stack came in). There's just too much unnecessary textures and scripts, which is one of the kinds of bloat you are probably worrying about too.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    Nevin likes this.
  6. Socrates

Socrates

On the topic of "add a weather maker" or "add other default" system, I think I will always come down on the side of whatever makes Unity a more robust, stable, or efficient game engine. Using the rain maker as an example, I would rather see resources put into (for instance) a speed increase in how the editor functions because I know that will benefit the underlying Unity engine itself more.

This is not to say that features should never get added. The new UI was a great improvement over OnGUI(). However, in a world where Unity is working with only finite resources, isn't applying those limited resources to improving the Unity engine going to benefit more developers in the long run?

Nevin, TonyLi and PhilSA like this.
  7. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I would use the S*** out of this view! Especially for the game I am working on with the insane level of detail. I would love to see the Lighting Only view in the game view too... useful for demos.

Shushustorm and Nevin like this.
  8. forestrf

forestrf

Another one:
    Having another way of visualizing events in animations would be great, like an array for example, because the way it is now does not allow to select or add easily overlaping events because they are showed in the same position in the time bar, so you can't click the one you want or add a new one.
    This one is easy to solve.

Thank you!

Nevin, TeagansDad and Alverik like this.
  9. TalkieTalkie

TalkieTalkie

Add post processing system from Unreal, along with volumes to change LUT and everything in-game.

Then add the shader editor from Unreal. :p

Nevin likes this.
  10. Alverik

Alverik

Joke aside, a shader editor would really be awesome. And I agree Unreal's shader editor is great stuff. I wish we had something like that in unity. It'd help heaps, both to people who know how to program shaders and those who don't. (This has been mentioned a lot though, lol)

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    Nevin likes this.
  11. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

So while working on my game projects, it would be nice if the progressive lightmapper had a checkbox for saving the lightmaps to the prefabs and being able to see the ETA. I don't like that I have to use a script to save my lightmaps and hit play to see them, which leaves Unity hanging in the air. Also, why isn't there a skin shader default in the Unity Standard shader system? It makes me SO GLAD Amplify created a shader creation system because I don't enjoy fixing something that breaks when I update it.

Also, it would be nice if Unity could have the software update without forcing us to download a package, bloating our hard drives. It drives me crazy when I have to wait to update Unity. Same thing with removing old assets from your project, instead of deleting the folder ourselves, it would be nice if we went on the asset store, where it says "Import" "Download", we need an uninstall button to make it cleaner to remove unneeded assets.

Nevin and Alverik like this.
  12. Martin_Charriere

Martin_Charriere

Hi sure,

As for tangents, what I use to use in other animation sotfwares are tangents that you can select and drag to reduce / accentuate curves. As it can be seen in theis video of AE for instance
    This allows full control on curves timing and speed. In Unity at the moment, we can only drag a curve for a short distance. To achieve the same result than in AE we need to be clever and add odd keys to simulate what the tangent would do.

About the beziers in the scene view. I will explain that with an example. When working with 3d animaiton we often import animation fomr another software to Unity so there is no issue, but when I work on 2d with Anima2D for example(now included in Unity), I lack beziers in the scene. Let's say, I want to animate my character jumping. I would need a parabolic curve. If i create my first keys, I would create anticipation, then last contact on the ground, highest point, and reception on ground again. To have these poses flowing smoothly, I would need a curve between these keys, where the inbetween poses would lay. I would also like to be able to adjust that curve using beziers. This is also extremely useful to animate smooth and controlled camera moves in cinematics / films.

There is a plug in that seem to do somthing like that, but it could be better implementated. https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/71079

A video of what i mean here :

Thanks for reading my post :) it may be a bit technical but coming from 2d animation, these are feature I really lack in Unity at the moment.

Cheers !

Nevin, flashframe and Alverik like this.
  13. PhilSA

PhilSA

We'd need a big documentation overhaul for physics joints, with clear examples of what everything does. (ConfigurableJoint is pretty much a nightmare right now). Maybe add better editor gizmos/handles to joints too.

Also with examples of how to set up a physics chain attached to another moving rigidbody (kinematic or not), taking into consideration proper interpolation and all that. Like a hair chain attacked to a moving kinematic character controller.

Currently I find it very hard to make something like that without jitter

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  14. CDF

CDF

A better view/approach to plugins. Generally smaller plugins/extensions will live nicely in 1 folder and deleting them is a breeze. However, when using larger more integrated plugins, these extensions write themselves all over the place and it's difficult to keep track of what file belongs to what plugin. Would be nice to enforce plugin developers to stick within a single root level folder. This of course would require Unity to search for "Special Folders" outside of the root level.

I'd like a view like this:

Project.png

Where plugins are distinguished from folders by an icon. Either a generic one, or one supplied by the plugin. The plugin itself can still be accessed as a folder, but it's much easier to see what is specific to the project and what isn't.

A Plugin could be defined by a .plugin file or similar. Not visible in the Editor and must exist at the top level folder inside the Plugin. This file could help the Editor to resolve path references and resources. Wouldn't break existing functionality and would allow future/existing plugins an easy upgrade path.

In the above Image, I've cleaned it up a little, but Vuforia and Firebase have files in lots of different folders, namely: Editor, Editor Default Resources, Resources, Gizmos, Streaming Assets, Plugins... Very messy and difficult to navigate. And there really isn't anything preventing plugin developers to stick to naming conventions for files. Which makes it especially difficult to track down unknown files. Having a single top-level folder also makes it much easier to see Updates/changes to a plugin.

I'd much rather see a single folder which contains everything the plugin requires to function. Code, assets, icons...

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    Rodolfo-Rubens and JPBA1984 like this.
  15. JPBA1984

JPBA1984

- 3DS Max Studio has a tool that lets you grab an object and move it around the scene, if the object gets over other objects it also "mount" over the object following its normal, that would be nice for quick prototyping, or at least some mode that allow me to drag and move each object i click onto.
    - Hide/Freeze objects right in the Hierarchy Panel.
    - ViewPort camera settings option, like rotation etc..., i work on isometric stuff, and i just can not match the ViewPort to the game camera, i have to use the game window to see how stuff will exactly look, and change the game camera settings to test stuff.
    - i want to be able to Copy position/rotation/scale options to other objects.

In general, the 3DS Max Studio workflow for moving objects, cloning, mirroring, grouping or some tools to make random position/rotation/scale of objects or a way to scatter an array of objects would help.

laurentlavigne likes this.
  16. Diabi

Diabi

Unity Technologies

Hey Everyone!

Having so many of you active on this thread and giving us tons of feedback is really great! We are working hard to collect and organize all of them. Now we wish to take a step further and directly talk to some of you about all the things that make your life in Unity harder.

So, if you want to guide us through your feedback in more details, or if you feel like there are more things you would like to talk about, you can speak directly to us.

Just complete the short survey here (a link will also be added to the first post) and we will get in touch with you for a chat on Skype or even in person if you are somewhere around us. A session will likely last between 45 minutes to 1 hour and is conducted in English.

We look forward to meeting you!

- The UX Team

Alverik, Baste, PhilSA and 1 other person like this.
  17. twda

twda

A "Drop Object to Ground" option for the editor is much missing. I even had it programmed for me by freelancer because I wanted it so much.

Rodolfo-Rubens and Alverik like this.
  18. twda

twda

Having the graphics settings default to "Deferred" / "Linear" would be nice.
    Because that is what Unity is promoting.

The current graphics settings are for a "Worst Case" scenario only.

It happens very often that asset producers use Gamma when they're creating / checking their assets because they're unaware of the fact that Def / Linear is the new standard, and I have to ask them to fix their graphics and explain them everything.

PhilSA and Stardog like this.
  19. twda

twda

Having the animation window remember the last model I selected for preview.
    When I import an animation without a model, I select a model manually:

It would be nice if Unity remembered my decision for all other animations that don't have a model attached.

PhilSA likes this.
  20. twda

twda

Now that I needed to do it again:

It would be nice if the Unity forums could store images. I always have to upload them to an image host, and these images go away after some time. I think other people will still want to view the images in some cases.

21. twda

twda

Yes, I think Unity should include a feature like SimpleLOD or make the creator part of the team. Who does NOT need LODs?
    With photogrammetry on its way, there will be less designers involved who will take care of creating different LODs. It would be just amazing if users can do automatic LODing in Unity.
    Reduction of the steps in our workflow is great help. The less external applications I have to use, the better.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  22. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

It's been around for a very long time and has always been a big pain in the ass to makes, like tracking in VFX so when you say on its way, what do you mean?

I can't even be bothered making LOD anymore because the switching was causing noticeable hiccups in 4.x, not sure this was solved in 5.x+

23. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Hey guys i am just doing some UI layouts and this is the perfect time to ask for a couple of improvement if they are not possible yet - i did find a way to deal with this !!!

1. An options to snap anchors to the rect (like in the image) instead of doing it by hand.

SnappingAnchors.png

2. Instead of holding Ctrl+Shift (on PC) and move some of the anchor point to move the whole element by moving the anchor points, can you make it so when you hold Ctrl and move the element itself the anchors to get moved with the element as well. ( Same as holding Shift and moving element forces it to move on a given axis only, to use the Ctrl button the same way for move the element and anchors together ). This will be much easier because clicking on the anchors is a pain and that's even harder when the rect points are snapped to them...

P.S.

3. I forgot for this one - the Canvas gets squashed when you maximize the viewport and elements get messed if you are targeting specific resolution. Not sure if this is a bug because is here for a long time and didn't see someone complaining about it.

CanvasSqushed.png

4 Will add another issue that has to be fixed because it happens a lot. Watch the video and be sure you have Subtitles turned on !

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    Socrates likes this.
  24. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

A couple more things were added to the previous post. Please be sure to have a good look. Thank You !

Diabi likes this.
  25. PhilSA

PhilSA

EDIT: This post ended up being a bit of a huge wall of text, but in it I am making a suggestion for an entire Nested Prefabs system from start to finish, with actual examples of why we need the system to have certain features. Feedback/comments would be appreciated, so we can maybe figure this out collectively

If it can be of any use to you guys, here's a couple of real situations that the hypothetical nested prefabs system should be able to handle:
    • I have a "PowerUp" prefab, which is a box with a little image on it. I should be able to make other prefabs that use the basic PowerUp prefab, but each have their own texture, their own image to display on the box, as well as their respective powerup logic attached on them (probably just a link to a ScriptableObject asset representing the powerup). That way, if I want to change the mesh of the box, or add more components to it, I only have to change it in one place and it'll update all of my powerup prefabs
    • I have several character prefabs that all use the same base mesh, which is a human mesh with a bone hierarchy. They all have variations in materials, textures and attachments (different clothing/accessories/etc...). One day I decide that I'd have to add a new bone to that character's rig, somewhere high up in the bone hierarchy. First of all, I would have to be able to update my "base mesh" prefab and it'll update it for all of my character prefabs.
      • But the problem doesn't end here. Let's say one of my characters had some kind of accessory attached to its right leg bone, how will the nested prefabs system know how to deal with that? I think the strategy to adopt here is that instead of doing some weird unpredictable wizardry that "guesses" the bone corresponding to the right leg in the new bone hierarchy, users should have a way to "define" parameters for the prefab. For example, in this case, we would have 'defined' several Transforms in the "base mesh" prefab, corresponding to the various attachment points that are possible on a character. Then, in our specific character prefabs, only those Transform parameterss would be exposed in the "base mesh" sub-prefab. Everything in the "base mesh" sub-prefab would be completely hidden while editing another prefab that uses it, except the defined 'prefab parameters'. That way, we can put accessory meshes under those Transform points, and the only thing we have to do if we want to update our baseMesh rig is to redefine which Transform parameters correspond to which bone. The character's material would also have been 'prefab parameter'.

In short:
    • In each prefab, you can add a bunch of "Prefab Parameter"
    • Any serializable type in the project can be made into a "Prefab Parameter", including custom game classes
    • When using a prefab under another prefab, everything in that sub-prefab is completely hidden except "Prefab Parameters"
    • Now you can make inter-prefab references without breaking anything
    What would be left to figure out is what kind of workflow/interface we would have to define parameters for prefabs.

But wait; we need to go deeper
    We will probably also need scripting access to the "Prefab Constructor". Why? Because in the Characters example, let's say we add a "CharacterMaterial" parameter that allows us to set a different material for each character.... how do we associate it to the appropriate SkinnedMeshRenderer? Instead of making an insanely complex UI interface for this that will take a million years to make and probably still wont be able to do everything we want it to do, you could just give us some kind of way to write the 'class' that represents our prefab. I think it's by far the simplest and most powerful way to go about it.

So here is my suggested workflow:
    • Start by creating a new C# (and/or VisualScripting) class that has some kind of [Prefab] attribute on top of it
    • Define a bunch of class variables with the [PrefabParameter] attribute on them. This is how you'd do the "Prefab Parameters" I was talking about earlier
    • In your class constructor, you decide how all of your prefab parameters will be used, or how the prefab will be initialized. So here, for example, you would assign the "CharacterMaterial" parameter you defined in the class to the proper SkinnedMeshRenderer. You can even do a check here to make sure the GameObject has all the necessary components added and initialized with the proper values. You wouldn't do anything with the character attachment point prefab parameters, because they are only references to transforms.
    • Now, on your actual prefab object, you can select which [Prefab] class it is based on. It then appears as some kind of component on the prefab's inspector, and this gives you a way to assign all the necessary prefab parameters
    • When the prefab is used inside another prefab, only the [PrefabParameter] variables from the [Prefab] class are exposed for editing/referencing
    And now you'd have working, highly-versatile nested prefabs! The "prefab class" would become a very powerful tool to use for plenty of other purposes, too.

The concept is very similar to the way 'Actor' works in UE4. Having a way to create something similar to Actors in Unity would be an extremely valuable addition that would give us unlimited possibilities!

I would imagine Unity's 'Actor' equivalent to be something that's above 'GameObject'. Basically, an Actor would be a single object that holds a collection of GameObjects with components on them. You'll notice this definition is pretty similar to that of a 'prefab'. The only thing that's different is that an Actor could be sub-classed and have it own custom logic attached to it. And now we come back to what I said about creating "Prefab Classes"

whew.... so there you go. I think the 'Actor' class is the missing link for a good nested prefabs system in Unity. It would also give great opportunities to improve UNET (if everything is an Actor, the concepts of NetworkIdentity, Spawning and Replication can be built into the base Actor class, etc...), but that's story for another time....

Final thoughts: yes, I know. There is a lot of programming talk in what I just wrote, and this is an artist/designer thread. But I think it's completely unrealistic to design a system as important as Nested Prefabs without taking everything into consideration. Otherwise you'll end up in a situation where you've made the whole thing with only artists in mind, and when programmers will ask for more flexibility, you'll find out you'd have to redo everything from scratch

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    HeadClot88 and Socrates like this.
  26. vertxxyz

vertxxyz

It'd be nice if the Configure tab of an Avatar Definition used some sort of additive scene loading so that going back and forth between the windows was faster.
    It'd also be helpful if you could test animations using a chosen model in that window instead of backing out, running your tests and then editing again.

27. CDF

CDF

Not sure I agree with this workflow. You're basically alienating everyone other than Programmers for prefab setup. If you really wanted this "extended" functionality I'd suggest writing some Editor/Inspector tools to deal with it. It doesn't sound very flexible and seems cumbersome to setup. How are properties/components referenced in these [Prefab] attributes? string based - error prone. What if I'm adding/removing properties from components and classes. I then have to update my Prefab class?

The current system works well. If there's a change, it's bold.

What the system needs:
    • Different colors for nested prefabs
    • Know what changes you're applying to what object
    • Flag properties as "Instance", "Prefab" or "Mixed" - Simple right click options
      • Instance - This property belongs to the instance, prefab cannot override
      • Prefab - This property belongs to the prefab, instance cannot override
      • Mixed - Default, current Unity implementation
    Editing the Prefab directly should take priority of these property types. So if you decide to change a property to "Instance" then all instances reflect that change. Same with "Prefab". These should also show up as bold/changed items if done through an instance.

Alverik likes this.
  28. PhilSA

PhilSA

Nothing is string-based. The PrefabParameters (which can alternatively be defined in VisualScripting) are exposed as fields in the inspector just like Monobehaviour variables. You can then drag/drop things into them

If you take my "Characters" example, where the character's skinned mesh and bone hierarchy is a nested prefab and you need to modify the rig, how would your imagined nested prefabs system deal with making a specific character prefab that has an acessory object parented to a certain bone of that nested prefab?

29. CDF

CDF

I'd hook it up through script ;)

30. PhilSA

PhilSA

fair enough...

at least we seem to agree on the fact that it takes scripting for this sort of functionality

31. CDF

CDF

Yeah, I'd be happy with a class based solution cause I'm a programmer (mostly). But I think there has to be an in-editor solution as well. I've come across this problem and many more, and the solution has always been code.

I just want a clear picture about:
    • What's going to be modified when I hit that magic "Apply" button?
    • Will properties in my other Prefab instances be affected if I change this thing?
    • Whats happens if I change something on the parent prefab that instances have already changed?
    Not just me to, the people I work with a scared to modify Prefabs they haven't created, which is a shame. Everyone sticks to what they've done personally and treads real lightly on other peoples objects. Not very collaborative imo

Alverik likes this.
  32. CDF

CDF

I will say, one of the biggest gripes I have about the current system is not being able to see/edit a prefabs hierarchy in the Project view. There's some reason for this, but, it would alleviate some of the concern about what belongs to an Instance and what belongs to the Prefab and could even potentially remove the "Apply" button altogether.

If I can change the structure of my Prefabs (which happens a lot) without needing to modify the instance, then all my instances get the new components and have the option to override the values themselves while still having the option to "Revert Value to Prefab".

Ugh, I could go on forever.

laurentlavigne and twda like this.
  33. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Hi guys, i just remember how many times i wish i had this option available:

being able to place some meshes or simple primitive objects in the scene to act just like blockers only in the lightmapping process.

Imagine that -> i am having a mobile race track and a bunch of cones and road blocker which are using prebaked GI and AO textures ( created in any 3D software ) which will be static but i do not want them to participate in lightmapping (i.e. being baked) but only acting like blockers in order to throw some ambient occlusion or color to the floor for color bleeding effect or contact shadows etc... Another case where this will be useful is to use a box gizmo in place where a door should stay but we do not want the door to be baked.

So, do you guys think it is possible to implement some auxiliary object (editor only) to use gizmos like box, sphere, plane, cylinder or maybe even any mesh just to act like blockers and not being included in the light mappin atlas and not being baked. I would suggest a new "Lightmapping Blocker" component (like collider components) with an option to choose gizmo shape and a normal and emissive colors per component.

I would highly request this feature if possible please as could greatly improve the lightmapping workflow and reduce the size of atlases created ( size and count ) especially in mobile games... Thank You !

34. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

#####################################################################

A new artistic Monobehavior void TimeUpdate()

TimeUpdate.SetElapsedTicks = 1000
    void TimeUpdate() called each 1ms

TimeUpdate.SetElapsedTicks = 1
    void TimeUpdate() is called each 0.001ms

This would be a super neodymium magnet for musical artists and programmers.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  35. vertxxyz

vertxxyz

Built-in [ReadOnly] and [EditorOnly] Attributes would be a great and simple addition.
    So would a graphing debugging tool, I've often found myself making graphs using Debug.DrawLine and it's definitely not ideal.

36. theazz

theazz

Nope lol, just be able to set the default import properties in unity, If i import 200 fbx's over the course of a project and they are all animations for just 1 character, thats 200 times i have to untick important materials and delete the auto generated material folder, 200 timse i have to set the avatar, 200 times i have to turn off animation interpolation. etc etc etc. just details for import :)

Moonjump, Alverik and PhilSA like this.
  37. Marked

Marked

I don't know if this has been asked before but it would be great to :

- Save camera positions in a favored menu so you could select a saved camera view from a list in editor.

- Replace all the same prefabs in the scene with the one you selected while keeping the position and rotation.
    I believe you can some what do that(holding ALT) ? But it never worked for me since the replaced prefab would end up at 0 of the world.

Martin_H likes this.
  38. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Marked likes this.
  39. theazz

theazz

Multi edit animation transitions would be nice

40. PhilSA

PhilSA

Some way of importing vertex groups from .fbx files, and accessing them through script

41. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

We need a proper tool to fill a volume/area with lightprobes. We all know that placing light probe by hand are tedious task, also using grid placement are not optimized.
    Having a proper lightprobe fill tool with collider detection and inside a mesh/collider would be great, also if with option to use fill algorithm as in voronoi or 3d poisson disk would be awesome.

Martin_H likes this.
  42. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

One issue that majorly gets on my aquatic hippo titties is the fact that Unity doesn't force asset authors to put their assets neatly in the plugins folder.

This would cure pretty much all ills for compile times. Unity is losing casual customers who buy 10 assets to cobble their games together then they have to wait 10+ secs between each change in their own code. Because everything gets recompiled every change outside of special folders.

It's something a simply rule of submission can fix, or allocating a new special folder for assets. So this doesn't happen. You guys really don't need much engineering here to dramatically improve quality of life for newbs, and maybe piss off the old guard a bit less :)

I don't wait long to compile. This is because I know. But I still have to faff around moving purchased assets to and fro each time I want to update them.

This little thing really helps anyone wanting to spend a lot of money in asset store, in performance and neatness. It's also easier for people to locate the asset and remove it, these things should also be 100% contained.

Allowing asset authors to practically spew files wherever is a laughable practise.

Honestly, do I have to go to Unity HQ, drink all the coffee and click my tongue and say "tut tut" a lot?

derf, Vanamerax, Socrates and 2 others like this.
  43. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Please. . . do it. Please, i beg you

44. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I've been invited a couple of times, I'm just a recluse though. But... pretty normal for a dev.

45. Alverik

Alverik

oh, almost forget... please, please fix the issue with UI element highlighting getting stuck when pressing the button (giving the effect that more than one button or element gets highlighted at the same time)... You can find more reference to this issue in this here forum post.

46. Onigiri

Onigiri

3d max style inspector with list of components on top. By default inspector shows only one selected component and you dont need to scroll across all your components. You can turn on/off displaying more components if you need. Inspector also must save information about which component are displayed on gameobject so you dont need to turn them everytime.

47. Onigiri

Onigiri

Ability to group objects in hierarchy window without adding empty gameobject in scene. Ability to show/hide, freeze groups and objects in scene view. In solo mode all objects in scene and hierarchy are hiding except selected.
    Ability to pin gameobjects and groups. Pinned objects always stay on top of hierarchy window and dont scroll with other objects.
    Ablity to lock unfolding hierarchy of groups an objects with children.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    BigBite likes this.
  48. Alverik

Alverik

Half joking, but half serious, maybe you should just hire Jason booth (author of the MegaSplat asset) to work on a new terrain painting system for the unity terrain. If the new system is just half as good as MegaSplat, that'd be amazing. That or just buy MegaSplat, lol. But, better terrain and vegetation, and good default shaders for those, would be great...

Rodolfo-Rubens and Vagabond_ like this.
  49. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Sounds good ( in terms of texturing ) :) -> as addition better vegetation (placement) support and "Holes In Terrain" option !

50. Marcos-Elias

Marcos-Elias

Please make copying-pasting objects better... Current hierarchy sucks, it is very hard to organize items there. Grouping objects into parents, ungrouping, etc...

If we have an object below and want moving it to a new parent at top, this is very hard thing to do by dragging...

And also I wish there will be some tools for open world maps :( this is almost impossible in Unity, a native tool to make infinite tiled terrains would be a great addition... Like tiled terrains with automatic joints, with async load/unloading based on distance or how many neighbour tiles the player wants...

Alverik likes this.