Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] Unity for Apple TV open beta

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Mantas-Puida, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

We’re happy to open access to the beta builds of Unity 5.3 with Apple TV support!

We hope this will let you start testing your games on Apple TV.

New build of Apple TV shipped as Unity 5.3.1: http://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive. It includes fixes for Xcode 7.2 compilation issues.
    Other issues will be addressed in subsequent patch releases.
    This build is marked as 5.3.0p0 (0c05b734e42f) build and is based on revision close to Unity 5.3 RC3. All the components are being shipped separately: Unity Editor for Mac, Unity Apple TV add-on for Mac, Unity iOS add-on for Mac, Unity Editor for Windows and Unity Apple TV add-on for Windows.

Things to know
    • First install Unity Editor. Then on top of it install add-on packages.
    • Requires Xcode 7.1 (Xcode 7.2 should work too, if it doesn't please let us know). Before running first Unity build make sure your provisioning and Xcode setup works fine. You can test it by creating empty Apple TV app from Xcode template menu.
    • Many of iOS plugins won't be compatible with Apple TV, because it supports only subset of iOS frameworks. We recommend you to create separate branch of your game and do porting to Apple TV there. Don't forget to reach plugin providers and ask them to update plugins.
    • If your game takes more than 200 MB on disk, you should break it into smaller parts and use On Demand Resources. For On Demand Resources support in Unity please refer to sections below. Note that Bitcode is included with Unity 5.3 builds, which will add ~130 MB to your executables. This added size is not accounted for distribution size, as it will be stripped by App Store servers. You can estimate Bitcode size by analyzing LLVM sections in your executable with otool -l.
    • This build is supposed to be binary compatible with submission guidelines. If you have troubles with it, please let us know.
    • Apple TV support is expected to ship officially as one of patch releases for Unity 5.3.x.

Implementing Input
    • If you haven’t yet added iOS Game Controller support to your game, you should check the dedicated page in the Unity Manual: http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/iphone-joystick.html . Use the mappings written in this manual while setting up your custom action mappings in the Unity Editor Edit->Project Settings->Input.
    • Apple TV Remote touch area is mapped to both Input.touches (Touch.type will be set to "Indirect" and will be ignored by Unity GUI) and usual Joystick Input API like Input.GetAxis("Horizontal");
    • Remote acceleration and gyroscope are mapped accordingly to Input.acceleration and Input.gyro. Input.acceleration internally is derived from gyroscope API and might have some instabilities. Unfortunately there is no dedicated accelerometer API on tvOS SDK. Input.gyro.attitude is derived from gravity vector thus lacks rotation around axis parallel to gravity vector. The same applies for Input.gyro.rotationRate.
    • Pause/Play button on remote is mapped to button “X” (which is then mapped to joystick button 15, check manual page mentioned above).
    • Remote touch area click is mapped to button "A" (which is then mapped to joystick button 14, check manual page mentioned above).
    • Menu button has special behavior on this device. Long push of it will invoke task switcher and you can’t override this behavior. Short clicks can be processed two ways:
      • a) returning to system home screen (if UnityEngine.Apple.TV.Remote.allowExitToHome is true)
      • b) letting your app respond to it’s clicks (mapped to button “Pause” / joystick button 0), when UnityEngine.Apple.TV.Remote.allowExitToHome is false. This the default behavior.
      • Your app should switch between a) and b) basing on where player is in your game. If they are on the top menu then you should enable behavior a), if it is deep inside the game you should prefer b) and invoke in game pause menu when this button is pressed.
    • Apple TV remote is also generating Dpad UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT button presses when you swipe to the edge of the remote. Check Unity Manual page for iOS Game Controllers to find the mappings.
    • Apple TV remote operational modes can be controlled via dedicated API:
      • UnityEngine.Apple.TV.Remote.allowExitToHome
      • UnityEngine.Apple.TV.Remote.allowRemoteRotation
      • UnityEngine.Apple.TV.Remote.reportAbsoluteDpadValues
      • UnityEngine.Apple.TV.Remote.touchesEnabled
    Setting up Unity GUI navigation via TV Remote
    1. Open Project Input settings in Unity Editor. Find first occurrence of "Submit" virtual input, expand it and change it's "Alt Positive Button" to "joystick button 14".
    2. Select EventSystem game object in your scene:
      1. In EventSystem component populate "First Selected" field with UI game object that should receive initial focus.
      2. You might need to check "Force input module" flag in "Standalone Input Module" component.
    If everything is done right you should be able to navigate your UI via keyboard while running in Editor or via TV Remote swipes and full stop click when running on device.

Note: TV Remote navigation won't work while running in TV Simulator.

Adding Leaderboard resources to Xcode project

1. Select Images.xcassets in Xcode project
    2. Right-click under listed files, and from the menu pick Game Center->New AppleTV Leaderboard.
    3. Add your images there.
    4. Select Leaderboard and on the right pane pick edit view. Find there "Identifier" field and enter you leaderboard id there.
    5. If after these modifications your asset compilation starts to fail, try disabling "On Demand Resources" in Xcode "Build Settings".
    Implementing On Demand Resources support
    Known issues
    • On screen keyboard is limited to single line entries.
    • Temporary removed realtime GI support.
    • tvOS icons should have at least two layers, otherwise Xcode project might not build.
    Feedback wanted
    • Any issues you run into. File bugs!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    MrEsquire, odbb and ricardo_arango like this.
  2. blockimperium

blockimperium

Good that this is getting closer. Hopefully this release fixes the issue on OSX that causes Rewired to explode in a stream of errors :)

3. KoolPix

KoolPix

This Unity iOS add-on for Windows is the exact same link as the MacOS one.

4. blockimperium

blockimperium

Nope. Still boned.

5. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

6. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Not sure what you have in mind, do you have case number?

7. blockimperium

blockimperium

Case 749926. Ticket - 749926_<redactedsecretpart>

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2015
  8. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

9. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

So is apple tv support going be added to 5.3 final on tuesday, on roadmap it says its in danger. Can you explain what the plan is? Release version with 5.3 final then wait for patches to do remaining work and fixes?

10. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

It we be part of later patch releases. Most likely 5.3.0p1.

MrEsquire likes this.
  11. blockimperium

blockimperium

I hate to ask, but I have to. Are people building their applications on Windows with p0? I ask because I've been able to generate a stream of pretty fatal errors with nearly empty projects when trying to build from OSX to tvOS. Eventually (after commenting out code) I was able to get the app deployed, but it just seems weird that so many things are making it through. In one instance, the ByteCodeStripper is actually trying to invoke a Windows executable on OSX - which caused me to seriously question some things.

Case 750317

Failed running /Applications/Unity5.3.0p/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/Tools/UnusedByteCodeStripper2/UnusedBytecodeStripper2.exe -out "/projects/warHelm/Temp/StagingArea/Data/Managed/tempStrip" -l none -c link -b False -x {other stuff follows but stripped out}

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  12. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

QA tested tvOS building both on Mac and Windows.

UnusedBytecodeStripper2.exe is managed .NET application, which is used on all platforms Unity Editor is running on to strip unused managed code. Such failures typically are observed when .NET profiles are mismatched in some of precompiled .NET dlls inside of your project tree. Or when unsupported .NET system libraries are referenced by your scripts.

13. Rastar

Rastar

I have an issue in a simple test project (using UFPS, basically just its AdvancedPlayer drawn into a scene with the pistol as start weapon)

(Filename: /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 37)

Can't add component because class 'SphereCollider' doesn't exist!

(Filename: Line: 695)

The same code is running fine on an iPhone 6 with iOS 9. Not sure if that's an issue in the UFPS+tvOS target, or an issue with the tvOS add-on itself.

14. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Does it work on regular Unity 5.3 RC build?

15. Rastar

Rastar

Unfortunately I don't have Unity Pro and therefore no access to the RC builds.

16. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

I believe RC builds should work for everyone.

17. ian_facepunch

ian_facepunch

Is there a way to do deferred rendering on tvOS? There is an option in the iOS player settings but not in tvOS and everything is getting rendered forward even if the camera is set to deferred.

18. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

That sounds like a bug on our side. Could you please bugreport it?
    Thanks!

19. greay

greay

I just updated my project to the 5.3 release, and did a quick test. Everything seems fine.
    I then opened it up with 5.3.0p0 & I'm seeing this:

Oh – nevermind – I guess this doesn't include Standalone? So my build target had been switched to Web Player.

greggtwep16 likes this.
  20. blockimperium

blockimperium

After doing some digging, the issue is with networking within one of the .dlls upon which I depend:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ystem.Exception: Error processing method: 'System.Void Opsive.ThirdPersonController.NetworkEventManager::OnServerAddPlayer(UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkConnection,System.Int16)' in assembly: 'ThirdPersonControllerRuntime.dll' ---> Mono.Cecil.ResolutionException: Failed to resolve System.Collections.Generic.List`1<UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkConnection> UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkServer::get_connections()
    2.   at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.MarkMethod (Mono.Cecil.MethodReference reference) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    3.   at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.MarkInstruction (Mono.Cecil.Cil.Instruction instruction) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    4.   at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.MarkMethodBody (Mono.Cecil.Cil.MethodBody body) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    5.   at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.ProcessMethod (Mono.Cecil.MethodDefinition method) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    6.   at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.ProcessQueue () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    7.   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    8.   at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.ProcessQueue () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    9.   at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.Process () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    10.   at Mono.Linker.Steps.MarkStep.Process (Mono.Linker.LinkContext context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    11.   at Mono.Linker.Pipeline.Process (Mono.Linker.LinkContext

21. fireares

fireares

Seems like the TV OS 9.1 just released a few hours ago. Would the beta add-on still work on the new version of TV OS?

22. EddieOffermann

EddieOffermann

(As anticipated) it fails to install when running today's 5.3.0f4 release (for Mac) since it expects 5.3.0p0

I'm able to trick it into installing into 5.3.0f4 by modifying the Info.plist (to masquerade as p0) but suspect that could run into other issues.

Is there any guidance on which is the "better" build to run for general development or should I just keep a couple parallel Unity builds handy? (I'm not predominantly working on tvOS but am anxious to test a couple things in it).

23. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Already deployed apps would work. Though we received few reports that Unity tvOS projects won't compile with Xcode 7.2. It could be fixed by hand, but I would recommend to postpone upgrade a bit.

24. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Unity Editor and tvOS add-on must be matched by version, otherwise it won't work. Keeping several Unity installs in parallel is the best strategy for such kind of development.

25. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Please bugreport it and share your case number.
    Thanks!

26. fireares

fireares

OK~ Thanks for your response. I will try my best to control my hands :p

27. CorbieMedia

CorbieMedia

I'm having trouble reading any input in the Xcode tvOS simulator. I have mapped every joystick button (0-19, it's stated above that 14 and 15 are supposed to be play/pause button and touch surface click on the Apple TV remote) to the same action, but the simulator remote still does nothing. The return key and arrow keys work in the Apple TV menu in the simulator, but not in the app.

I also get these three errors when building in Xcode:

iPhoneSensors.mm:
    ReportJoystickXYZAxes(idx, 21, 22, 23, motion.rotationRate); <= "rotation.rate" is unavailable: not available on tvOS
    ReportJoystickXYZWAxes(idx, 24, 25, 26, 27, motion.attitude); <= "attitude" is unavalilable: not available on tvOS
    DisplayManager.mm:
    targetScreen.currentMode = targetScreen.preferredMode; <= "preferredMode" is unavailable: not available on tvOS & Assignment to read-only property

The Xcode project is named "Unity-iPhone" even though I have tvOS selected as the build target in Unity. Is this normal?

I'm able to build in Xcode by commenting out the lines causing the errors, is this why I can't read any joystick input? Why is it trying to read iPhone Sensors?

Edit: I'm using Xcode 7.2 beta, and there seems to be some trouble with that? I'll download the latest stable Xcode and post results.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  28. freakybwoy

freakybwoy

I have an issue with GameCenter but not sure if it's my code (as being a newbie to Unity). From within my game I can open and display the available leaderboards for the game (there is only one in my game). From here I can press the "MENU" button on the Siri remote and GameCenter closes and focus is returned to my game.

However, if I select the actual leaderboard and view the entries, the Menu button (on the Siri remote) no longer works and I cannot exit back to my game. The screen hangs there and I have to close the Game in order to start playing it again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Matt

29. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

I ran into this when testing Easy Input Helper on Xcode 7.2 and submitted a bug report already. This only applies to Xcode 7.2, if using Xcode 7.1.1 there are no issues. This will occur on Xcode 7.2 even on an empty project.

Commenting out those lines allows you to proceed and does not effect input. It has to be something else causing your issues. Does it work when you deploy to the device? I've not had much luck with the simulator.

CorbieMedia likes this.
  30. blockimperium

blockimperium

Yeah I posted about this one before. Its not a 7.2 beta issue - its just an issue with 7.2 altogether. You have to comment out those codes and then it will build and deploy. Or at least that's been my experience thus far.

Case 750315

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    CorbieMedia likes this.
  31. blockimperium

blockimperium

Has anyone come up with a solution for?

Code (CSharp):
    1. [B]Unity xcode plugin has not current Xcode in its compatibility list[/B].
    2. Please launch the project manually
    3. UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow:BuildPlayerAndRun()
    I get it every time I try to build my project. I'm using XCode 7.2 and Unity 5.3.0p0. Note I was also unable to install the plugin on 5.3.0f4 - but I'm not sure that was supposed to work anyway.

Case 750311

32. blockimperium

blockimperium

Its tied to my open Case 750317.

33. freakybwoy

freakybwoy

Further investigation, even with a single button opening the GameCenter popup and then selecting the LeaderBoard XCode reports this in the log:

Code (CSharp):
    1.  Warning: Attempt to present <GKGameCenterViewController: 0x147342200>  on <UnityDefaultTVViewController: 0x148089c00> which is already presenting <GKGameCenterViewController: 0x147b23c00>
    At this point the LeaderBoard is displayed, but its completely frozen, I have to quit the game.

Has anyone else managed to implement GameCenter on their Unity TVOS project?

Thanks

34. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

tvOS simulator is not simulating remote as game controller, so it won't work with Unity.

35. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Could you please share some code on how are you using Social API?

36. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

This will be fixed with next build.

37. freakybwoy

freakybwoy

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using UnityEngine.SocialPlatforms;
    4. using UnityEngine.SocialPlatforms.GameCenter;
    6. public class GameCenter : MonoBehaviour {
    8.     static ILeaderboard m_Leaderboard;
    9.     public string leaderboardID = "myLeadBoardID";
    13.     void Start () {
    15.         #if UNITY_IPHONE
    16.         UnityEngine.Apple.TV.Remote.allowExitToHome = true;
    17.         #endif
    19.         Social.localUser.Authenticate (ProcessAuthentication);
    21.     }
    24.     public void ShowLeaderBoard () {
    26.         DoLeaderboard();
    28.     }
    31.     void ProcessAuthentication (bool success) {
    32.         if (success) {
    33.             Debug.Log ("Authenticated");
    35.         }
    36.       else
    37.             Debug.Log ("Failed to authenticate with Game Center.");
    38.     }
    42.     public void ReportScore (long score, string leaderboardID) {
    43.         Debug.Log ("Reporting score " + score + " on leaderboard " + leaderboardID);
    44.         Social.ReportScore (score, leaderboardID, success => {
    45.             Debug.Log(success ? "Reported score to leaderboard successfully" : "Failed to report score");
    46.         });
    47.     }
    50.      void DoLeaderboard () {
    51.         m_Leaderboard = Social.CreateLeaderboard();
    52.         m_Leaderboard.id = leaderboardID;
    53.         m_Leaderboard.LoadScores(result => DidLoadLeaderboard(result));
    54.     }
    57.     void DidLoadLeaderboard (bool result) {
    58.         Debug.Log("Received " + m_Leaderboard.scores.Length + " scores");
    59.         foreach (IScore score in m_Leaderboard.scores) {
    60.             Debug.Log(score);
    61.         }
    63.         //Show the leaderboard to the user
    64.         Social.ShowLeaderboardUI();
    66. }
    The code above is used in just a simple Unity app with one button that calls ShowLeaderBoard ()

The leaderboard does show, but once selected I cannot go back to the game. The screen kinda freezes.

I've also used the following code instead of Social.ShowLeaderboardUI():

GameCenterPlatform.ShowLeaderboardUI(leaderboardID, TimeScope.AllTime);

However, I'm not sure what the difference is between each of those methods to show the GC UI.

Can you reproduce the issue?

Thanks,
    Matt

38. David-Berger

David-Berger

Unity Technologies

Hey Matt,

Can you make sure you use at least 2 images in the Leaderboard and double check the leaderboard identifier? Additionally, do you have any input (e.g. ui) in the background which can be triggered? As e.g. the Unity UI still gets input event through the GameCenter overlay. You can for example disable the UI then in OnApplicationFocus.

Code (CSharp):
    1.     #if UNITY_TVOS
    2.     void OnApplicationFocus (bool focusStatus)
    3.     {
    4.         if (focusStatus) {
    5.             menuCanvas.SetActive (true);
    6.         } else {
    7.             menuCanvas.SetActive (false);
    8.         }
    9.     }
    10.     #endif

39. freakybwoy

freakybwoy

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply.

Yep, 2 images and the identifier is set correctly. I will check to see if there is any background input and report back.

Just one more thing, I am using the exact same code to show the LeadBoard in my iOS version of the game and that works flawlessly. But then again, I am using Unity 5.3.0f4 for my iOS builds so not sure if there are any differences in how each unity version handles that.

I will report back shortly.

Thanks,
    Matt

40. freakybwoy

freakybwoy

David, you are a star!

After checking the input in the background I could see the triggers being called. So, the problem was that when the GC UI was being presented the game still had focus for the Siri Remote. I used the following code in the end to solve the problem:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public Canvas menuCanvas;
    3.     void OnApplicationFocus (bool focusStatus)
    4.     {
    6.         if (focusStatus) {
    8.             menuCanvas.gameObject.SetActive (true);
    10.         } else {
    12.             menuCanvas.gameObject.SetActive (false);
    13.         }
    14.     }
    Thanks again for your time and what an awesome job you guys do!

Matt

David-Berger likes this.
  41. madgreg

madgreg

Hi, I keep having this error while trying to build for tvOS:

Code (CSharp):
    1. MethodAccessException: Method `UnityEditor.iOS.Xcode.PlistDocument:ParseXmlNoDtd (string)' is inaccessible from method `UnityEditor.iOS.XcSchemeUpdater:UpdateString (string,UnityEditor.iOSBuildType)'
    3. UnityEditor.iOS.PostProcessiPhonePlayer.UpdateXcScheme (UnityEditor.iOS.ProjectPaths paths, iOSBuildType buildType)
    4. UnityEditor.iOS.PostProcessiPhonePlayer.PostProcess (BuildTarget target, System.String stagingAreaData, System.String stagingArea, System.String stagingAreaDataManaged, System.String playerPackage, System.String installPath, System.String companyName, System.String productName, BuildOptions options, UnityEditor.RuntimeClassRegistry usedClassRegistry)
    5. UnityEditor.iOS.iOSBuildPostprocessor.PostProcess (BuildPostProcessArgs args)
    6. UnityEditor.PostprocessBuildPlayer.Postprocess (BuildTarget target, System.String installPath, System.String companyName, System.String productName, Int32 width, Int32 height, System.String downloadWebplayerUrl, System.String manualDownloadWebplayerUrl, BuildOptions options, UnityEditor.RuntimeClassRegistry usedClassRegistry) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/PostprocessBuildPlayer.cs:316)
    7. UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()
    I tried even with an empty project, still the same error...

Any ideas?

42. xenonmiii

xenonmiii

@madgreg Happened to me too, you have to install the iOS package too, not just the tvos package

43. blockimperium

blockimperium

yeah, that was confusing...

44. madgreg

madgreg

45. ian_facepunch

ian_facepunch

Case 753925

46. Nseries

Nseries

Hello. What about In-APP system? Does it work for tvOS. I've got

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  47. rsodre

rsodre

[removed] found the problem, not a bug or anything.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  48. blockimperium

blockimperium

Is there an estimate date when we are getting another release?

freakybwoy likes this.
  49. Borissow

Borissow

Hi!
    I got a strange problem with the 5.3.0b0 build. When using assetbundles to load the scenes and their baked lightning I only get lightmaps, the lightprobes are somehow lost in the process.
    I have an assetbundle for the scene and a separate assetbundle for the scenes assets (Navmesh,Lightprobes,Lightmaps..etc).
    I load the assetbundle with the scene and because the other "asset" assetbundle is included in it's dependencies, it is also loaded.

Am I doing something wrong?
    Did anyone encounter this strange behaviour?

Thanks in advance,
    Borissow

50. mhalttu

mhalttu

It seems like Social.LoadUsers is not working with the build. We send requests with valid GameCenter ids but the callback is never invoked.

Anybody else seeing this? Is this a known issue? Any advice?

@Mantas Puida @David Berger

ableRex_358 likes this.