Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] New Terrain System

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by bibbinator, Jul 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bibbinator

bibbinator

Hi all,

It's time to add to terrains to the discussion of systems we're upgrading!

As with our other discussions, we'll start with a clean slate and see where it goes. We'll summarize and add our own ideas later on, but we really want to hear from you all first.

As usual, it's super helpful to know something about you when you comment because it helps us understand much better the use-cases and goals you're trying to achieve.

Who are you?

What kind of game are you trying to build or would like to build?

How does terrain fit into that?

What use-cases, features, workflows do you have or would like to see?

Thanks!
    Brett

------ edited by moderator as follows ---------

Locking this now as it's redundant, and pointing people to the new forum for the purpose of terrain (also you should check beta forums):

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/10/10/2018-3-terrain-update-getting-started/

https://forum.unity.com/forums/world-building.146/

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2018
    RendCycle, abrad1212, twobob and 17 others like this.
  2. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Who are you?

Hobbyist

Puzzle Adventure

Want believable terrains of various types to travel through.

I'd like to be able to sculpt terrains from a distance on large scenes and have the brush be responsive,
    I find now I must be close to the terrain to make any real impact with the brush.
    I'd like to be able to create overhangs and caves, to be able to adjust terrain height options without having to flatten the terrain.
    To be continued...

Ascensi and ChrisSch like this.
  3. Murgilod

Murgilod

Who are you?

I'm Elizabeth, sole developer in my tiny studio of one.

When it comes to terrain, I'm working on an large area outdoor sports game.

Simply put? It doesn't. I've had to completely disregard Unity's terrain options in favour of a series of split meshes that I generate in a custom terrain tool. I need a lot of overhangs, caves, and other concave surfaces and that's just not possible with the current terrain workflow. I also require a lot of special material cases for translucent surfaces.

• NORMAL MAP SUPPORT. Proper normal map support too, not one that makes my terrain look like it's covered in a layer of plastic wrap.
    • Platform independent terrain tessellation. Don't make me rely on DX11 for this. I want to target things other than just Windows platforms.
    • Object intersection tessellation. Let me put down a tree mesh with roots and be able to sculpt around the roots to have them more realistically interact with the terrain itself.
    • Realtime runtime terrain deformation with fast collision updates.
    • Better in-engine sculpting tools, or maybe even some (very basic) analogues to World Machine's terrain functions.
    • Performance, performance, performance! It feels so finicky getting Unity terrain to perform well.
    • CONCAVE SURFACE SUPPORT.
    Even if the terrain tessellation is pre-baked that'd be fine.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
    konsnos and Zaddo67 like this.
  4. tgraupmann

tgraupmann

Who are you?

Hobbyist on personal projects and games. And then... I might help port a few games... several... okay a lot of Unity games...

3d Graphic Novel

I plan on remaking concept drawings into 3d scenes. I have environment like, forests with campfire. Exterior houses. Interior houses. Barns. Caves. Train tracks. Bridges. Western Towns. And a smoke stack to create.

I might have a scene for sections of the environment that link together. Some of the scenes might overlap or fade in and out based on proximity to the camera. I might want to edit the terrain for all the scenes together while logically when I save the various components save into their individual scenes.

I have a need for building props, vegetation and trees. Of which I'll likely use content from the asset store.

It would be great if while working on the scenes there was a popup prop selector which would cycle throw all the assets that I've purchased and downloaded and when I select something it fetches it right out of the that package. Without the need of importing 5GB of art assets and only using some of it. Quick selection would keep the scenes leaner if it only imports the assets I need when I use them.

Most importantly I need to be able to publish to Android.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  5. Sievlar

Sievlar

Who are you?
    Indie game developer.

Endless runner with enemies that chase player.

I would like to have pieces of terrain that can be placed and joined at run time.

Features I would like
    1 - Nav-Mesh
    a - Bake nav-mesh into terrain prefab that can be moved at runtime.
    b - Join nav-mesh with adjacent terrain placed at runtime.​
    2 - Built in object-pooling for everything, including terrains.
    3 - Tools for modelling seamless seems for terrains that can be placed side by side at run time where each side of the terrain can be joined with different sides of another terrain.
    4 - Run-time deform of terrain and associated nav-mesh
    5 - Run-time placement of objects / nav-mesh breaks. Not the same as placing nav obstacles, since multiple obstacles that block a path does not cause character to navigate around them.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Who are you?

Fat thing that's not really fat, that lurks a lot on forums that people put up with because a) sometimes he's helpful, b) they've no choice.

OR: Director at Simian Squared, purveyor of fine British console and mobile games.

We're doing a game for Sony that will use a heck of a lot of Unity 5.

We've actually done a few years research here from rolling our own ROAM back when it was vogue, to stitching together loosely culled meshes to using a water-like structure of detailed geometry close up. We've also used Zbrush and World Machine among other applications in our research. We do a lot of R&D as we like to put something new out there. Ultimately, the reasons for avoiding Unity's terrain always came down to poor tools, poor performance and no overhangs.

This upsets us greatly, because we know that the number one best way to create terrain in games is within the actual game editor and not externally. The nature of terrain is that it must be modifiable with short notice to fit playability, situations that cannot be forseen etc, and this is the main reason generating terrain in external apps is a poor workflow that creates stress within the team.

Idealistic futuristic next gen terrain request:

1. It uses voxels and we can just fly around digging the perfect terrain. There's a few asset store entries but they're unsupported and not ideal. We would love overhangs. We'd love to carve a world offline and online.

2. It just works beautifully with enlighten.

3. We have choice of vertex based splatmap and texture based splatmap, vertex based lighting and shadow (which can update if we carve or add new geometry)

4. Triplanar and other options supported, including a nifty feature to match the uvs of any object to the terrain so meshes "just work" and fit - like in Skyrim's toolset.

In short, fine-grained resolution isn't as important as a living and breathing terrain that feels organic and raw and realistic, and caves and other exciting things are within reach just with a few brush strokes.

Wacom support is an absolute MUST or artists can't function so well. Adjusting the strength constantly isn't much fun is it.

Toned-down existing style terrain request in the realms of sanity:

1. Maximum performance.

2. It just works beautifully with enlighten.

3. We have choice of vertex based splatmap and texture based splatmap, vertex based lighting and shadow which updates. But importantly there must be hole support as people do like their caves.

4. Triplanar and other options supported, including a nifty feature to match the uvs of any object to the terrain so meshes "just work" and fit - like in Skyrim's toolset.

So that's two options. The thing is, if you're going to overhaul the existing terrain it has to be something pretty next gen for people to bother, or at minimum very flexible. That's the thing about terrain made in game editors, you want to tweak all that. We also need some form of broad world navmesh support going on here too among other features supported by Unity.

Just some thoughts.

twobob, XPAction, Hrothvitnir and 5 others like this.
  7. tatoforever

tatoforever

Hello Brett,
    I guess you already know about us, so I'll go straight to our project needs and feedbacks about the system. This is the system in Unity that really need a lot of love and the most hacked by all Unity users in order to get somewhat Okaish visuals. We are currently prototyping an open world game that features larges natural landscapes (using GIS and CIGI data). The terrain is 256 square KMs terrain. We also work with other sister companies that specializes in Simulation and Visualization applications.
    So here are my needs and feedbacks about a new terrain system in Unity:
    We need more tools to create natural terrains and faster, such as erosion, noise and the like algorithms. Better painting tools (colormaps that will generate terrain splats). Also a way to split large terrains into multiples chunks. We need procedural planting tools, just imagine adding grass, trees and rocks to 250squareKMs by hand, that's insane. A tool that will let us use a mask to tell the engine where to randomly put grass/trees/details, etc, density, variation. An option to make terrain grass use the terrain color (this is a nice feature in CryEngine that adds a lot to realism).
    Materials: Support for multiple splats (more than 4 layers) with all kind of custom settings and any custom material (we also need a better and more open terrain API). Leadwerks Engine currently have a very nice terrain texturing technology, I recommend to check it out.
    Navigation: A way to make Navigation work on very large terrains is also a plus welcome.
    Also please, fix batching, trees on the terrain doesn't get batched (even when using the same trees everywhere). Results = 20000+ drawcalls, that's insanely injustifiable. Make a better impostor (or billboard system), currently impostors doesn't cast any shadows, it's ugly when shadows pops in and the reason is because they are quads facing the camera, solution: let us chose between impostors and cross billboard trees that will cast correct shadows (and blend between billboard trees and trees meshes).
    Side problem1: Double precision of coordinates (an option that we can tick on/off in per project basis).
    Side problem2: You cannot cast way too far shadows otherwise the resolution will shrink and you'll end up having tiny shadows resolutions = really ugly blocky shadows. Btw, this is an other area where Unity really needs to put some men at work onto it. Improve shadows please.
    Lastly, Two features that will complement really well the new terrain system: an ocean system, an sky with clouds (time of day system). Why having a nice terrain and a ugly static skybox? If you really want some examples, take a look at CryEngine or Unigine (they both shares similarities in their terrain/ocean/sky system). I guess I don't need to post any image or video?
    Currently, is just impossible to create proper large natural landscapes in Unity the way you can do in other Engines and this is a huge problem for us and our sister companies.
    I haven't upgraded all my licenses yet and will probably not unless we see solutions to those problems described below.
    Side note: We are currently evaluating Unigine and so far it have been a great experience managing very large and detailed natural landscapes.

8. judah4

judah4

Who are you?

Student, Indie guy

Large world rpg

I need large terrains for the large world

One of the big things Ive run into is performance and the inability to edit heights on a separate thread. I am able to tile the terrains very well in runtime but I need the ability to read the heightmaps on another thread and change them so I dont lock down the fps when loading in chunks of the world. Also, being able to edit multiple terrains at the same time would be nice

Bullet List
    • Read/Write in other threads
    • Multi-terrain editing

RendCycle likes this.
  9. chrisall76

chrisall76

Who are you?
    Indie developer, head of LittleForestGames

Action/Adventure RPG (in first person)

Terrain in the game is important, as the terrain would be something like OOT. Not a big map, but the feeling
    of being able to go to different areas in the world.

There are a few major things that are needed.
    • Voxel terrain (or at least the support for overhangs, cliffs, etc.)
    • Splatmaps
    • Normal mapping
    • Support for streaming multiple terrains (think Skyrim or any openworld game).
    • Triplanar support as said above, really needed
    • performance

konsnos likes this.
  10. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Who are you?
    Hobbyist

World Survival

Alter terrain (raise/lower), change the texture. A simplified voxel/digging system.

• If you do something voxel based, please make it separate from the heightmap based implementation.
    • More options as far as LOD, stitching, and updating the terrain. Smarter handling of these.
    • Vegetation that is not "melded" with the terrain. Vegetation can make use of the same height data, but remain a separate component.
    • Allow people to disable the separate components (like the terrain, or the vegetation) in case someone wants to use a substitute. Some may like the vegetation...but want to use their own terrain system. Right now, it's either all or nothing.
    • Access to terrain/vegetation data on the main and other threads, via a nice clean well documented API. Open up the terrain system. Allow easier use of custom shaders and options.
    • The ability to atlas textures would be nice :)
    • Nice to haves: nearby tesselation (DX11 is fine with me) based on a noise texture possibly.
    • Global colormap support.
    • Performance and memory usage.
    • "Holes" in the terrain unless there is a better way (depth mask or whatever).
    Also, please clarify if you are talking about the terrain only, or vegetation/trees also. Currently they are tied together. If you are talking about vegetation also:
    • Rotatable trees (1 byte would give enough accuracy).
    • Individual colliders.
    • For billboards, at least allow custom texture resolutions for the billboards (too low now), and please fix the "bowing"
      issue where the trees bow towards the player when you tilt the camera.
    • Better vegetation shaders! Right now grass especially can look horrible unless you use AA or don't mind not having shadows.

Beennn and Jaqal like this.
  11. Cascho01

Cascho01

Who are you?

Architecture Vis Studio

No games, but architecture presentations from small to very hughe sizes

Bad as it works now:
    In architecture scenes we have streets, stairs etc..... all not really possible with terrain

- use custom mesh with sub ids / materials
    - must accept materials with custom shaders, (Shaderforge, Marmoset,...)
    - rotatable

12. creat327

creat327

Who are you?
    Indie studio. Echoboom.com

We have a flight simulator right now, but we have a whole bunch of games on pipeline that we would love to build but terrain is real slow.

Flight simulator... terrain... need to say more? www.dogfightplay.com

Right now, we can't use the unity terrain system because it is incredible slow. We build for mobile, and although the terrain runs fine on hyperfast mobiles and regular desktops, on the average phones as soon as you plug a terrain with a few trees the frame drop is huge. We have to use 3d meshes for it all. It doesn't make sense to us because in theory the terrain should be more efficient than having huge 3d meshes all around.

To us, the quality it has right now, trees, shadows and all that, could be improved but we are ok with it. What it's a big no-no is the performance. With that performance it doesn't matter to us what is improved because we simply cannot use it.

13. angel_m

angel_m

Voxel Farm in Unity :)
    If not,...performance.

14. Whippets

Whippets

Who are you?
    Marcus Lear-Jones - Indie game company

(M)MORPGs - from fantasy to post apoco

It's the majority of stuff you stand on.

Two Separate types of terrain:-
    1. A realtime deformable voxel based terrain
    2. A static high performance terrain

As people have already said; terrains must:-
    1. Be capable of holes/caves/overhangs
    2. Have shaders with colourmap, normal maps, specular maps, height maps (see RTP).
    3. Wind systems that are scriptable
    4. Trees that work day and night, don't "bend" into view, have believable billboards - currently terrain trees make me cry.
    5. Vegetation that doesn't look like a cardboard model stuck on the terrain. Believability is the key.
    6. Beauty - Cryengine style jaw-dropping beauty. If players' jaws don't hit the floor, it's not good enough.
    7. Shadows and ambiance - will GI make this good? If you've got low ambient and a sun/moon(s) as light sources, the shadows waver and blob their way across the terrain and models like a bad migraine. Horrible, truly horrible.
    8. Rivers and roads tools (better water for rivers and oceans out of the box).
    9. Built-in systems for seamless terrains.
    10. All of the above with PERFORMANCE. Use as many threads as it takes, just blow us away with the performance.

Sorry for being so disparaging about the current terrain system. I'm a huge Unity fan (company style and product), and I want to see it being the best. Terrain is what all of our customers/players see most of, so it's got to be great. Currently it's fallen a long way behind.

Gekigengar likes this.
  15. zenGarden

zenGarden

Who are you?
    Amateur Indie guy

PC games Third view RPG (later FPS exploration game)

Main payable area to explore to find dungeons and towns.

- Extended terrain shader : Better Normal map, specular maps option for rocks and grass floor texture (Wow have terrain specular from years), Glow map option for lava , poisonnous swamp etc ..
    - Voxels and editor tools : would allow caves and avoid distortion UV like we have in standard terrain on slopes and cliffs
    - performant grass and trees shadowing
    - advanced terrain LOD
    - perhaps terrain chunck system to allow really big terrains, only chuncks terrain near player beeing displayed.

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

Who are you?

ShadowKind Games

Large openworld RPG

It's about 75% of the game.

Tree system is irrelevant as we'll be using SpeedTree with Unity 5.0, what we do need is or nice to haves:

-Performance: Streaming, streaming and did I mention streaming again for tiles? (I'll update this section with a list of others tonight, so keeping blank for now).

-Origin shifting: So when absolute camera position is far from origin, it shifts back to zero.

-Stitching: The ability to stitch multiple tiles together to create the size required for open worlds.

-Expandable per tile shader support: Correct use of normal map per splat, support for multiple layers within Unity 5.0's default shader system. Set the layer preset (amount of layers) to something around 10, that would usually cover the basis. Must also cover the use of color maps (see worldmachine or any varient, as this is what most people use).

-Tool expansion: Noise Tool, Valley tool (Sinkhole / flatten), Erosion tool, sculpt tool.

-I'm not sure how people are using SpeedTree with UT 5.0, but I hope you can batch vegetation and trees.

-Better vegetation shaders (not necessary but would be nice).

-Ocean and river shaders (same as above)

-What would be REALLY nice to have is a TOD system (like you have in UE4 and CE), the skybox system is a bit long in the tooth. Still not necessary but a nice to have.. Reason I mention this is two fold, one a template for correct use with Enlighten would be great, secondly it's great for beginners or advanced users to expand on.

konsnos and Eric2241 like this.
  17. Tenebrous

Tenebrous

Volunteer Moderator

Who are you?
    Hobbyist and general tinkerer

The requirement for a better terrain came when I was trying to build a modern 'remake' of 3D Ant Attack.

I really wanted a 'realistic environment', but procedurally generated. A major part of this would be the ant's tunnels which would be a major area of exploration in the game. Generating the landscape procedurally would allow re-playability and allow the player to 'own' his game as it would be unique to him.

• Support for tunnels, caves & overhangs without having to resort to hacks like a depth-mask shader.
    • Being able to create the entire terrain from code is essential as most things I do are procedurally generated.
    • For this specific game there is no requirement for real-time modification (the game was not to be about digging or crafting, as I felt this would detract from the feel of the game and overcomplicate it)

konsnos and schmosef like this.
  18. Teila

Teila

Who are you?

Indie Game developer

Multiplayer RPG

The terrain is the foundation of the game.

• Performance

• Better billboards and vegetation brushes

• Wind effects for mesh foliage

• Erosion features to create more realistic terrains

• Finer control for brushes

• Support for multi-terrains and paging

• Spline based river placement with flow (like Torque 3d)

• The ability to link textures to vegetation so you can place TextureA and assign a billboard or mesh to the texture and have it generate wherever the texture is placed (like Torque 3d).

• Better water with much better performance for both Pro and Free.

• Ability to make overhangs and holes.

• Better built-in shaders for the terrain and vegetation

• The ability to place roads and paths easily on the terrain

Eric2241 likes this.
  19. Arowx

Arowx

Instead of a terrain engine could I ask for a procedural planet builder? ;)

StarManta likes this.
  20. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

+1. Everything here, also performance.

Deleted User likes this.
  21. Whippets

Whippets

This has to be good, everyone's saying the same things XD

Deleted User likes this.
  22. tatoforever

tatoforever

Terrains are an important part of a game, no matter which game you are making you need larges, fast, rich and bullet prof terrain technology! Even outside games (Viz and Sim)! :)

chrisall76 likes this.
  23. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Who are you?

Chief Technology Officer of our small development studio, Dreamlords Digital.

Right now, a turn-based tactics game.

Terrain is used for the outdoor maps, during combat, and for the world map.

The kind of game I'm making is top-down, which means I often don't want overhangs as that would obstruct the view of the game, so I don't need voxel terrain for the foreseeable future. However, built-in voxel terrain indeed sounds useful for the other devs here.

Honestly I would feel better if Unity didn't try to be the be-all-end-all of everything game dev. I'm pretty sure UT needs to be economical in what parts of their engine they should improve.

My point is I'm content in having more realistic terrain be the job of other tools, like World Machine. But at the very least, it would be nice if, say, the .tmd files that World Machine creates can be imported by Unity, same way .fbx files are. Or whatever you guys deem to be a good 3rd party terrain making tool to support, have Unity be able to import its files. Then they would turn into heightmap files that Unity already uses.

If that turns out to be a lot more hassle, then ok, perhaps Unity should have a very good built-in terrain making tool. Programs like Axis Game Factory I think are already doing a good job, considering that program is made in Unity.

Visuals: The kind of art that our game needs benefits from realistic graphics, so all those stuff that the top selling terrain plugins in the Asset Store (like RTP) are the stuff that we want: parallax mappping, triplanar support, heightmap-based blending, paint terrain texture on bottom of static objects (e.g. rocks), etc.

Wind Zone component: I'm hoping in the future, wind zone can affect grass, terrain trees, and particles. Imagine spawning an explosion at a particular position and the grass, trees, bushes, and nearby smoke reacting properly to the shockwave caused by the explosion.

Re: real-time terrain deformation

Isn't this possible already? TerrainData.SetHeights?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    Eric2241 likes this.
  24. sebas77

sebas77

Who are you?

CTO of Freejam

We are the Robocraft developers (http://www.robocraftgame.com)

the "planets" are built over the standard terrain engine

1 - importing exporting hight maps perfectly from maya.
    2 - Better sculpting and manipulation tools, including huge brushes (ours are tiny).
    3 - More materials to blend including spec maps (6 or more materials)
    4 - Faster performance
    5 - Voxel painting would be good, would also help cut down on extra meshes.
    6 - Better grass, foliage, rock and tree systems.
    7 - a library of different features that could be painted like rock formations, natural surfaces and details.

25. ZJP

ZJP

- Color Blending between terrain and meshes.

Frpmta and Whippets like this.
  26. Frpmta

Frpmta

Who are you?
    Indie, student.
    Action/RPG
    Most of the world is made up by terrain.
    +1 to all that have been written and:
    -Deeper sculpting tools and brushes customization.
    -Emphasize on high performance vegetation shaders a'la CryEngine that don't weep with alpha/transparencies.
    -Terrain with caves export to DCC.

Eric2241 likes this.
  27. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

Who are you?
    freelance and work on independant project when i have time

open world rpg for mobile
    it does not

control over the polycount
    ability to create caves/holes

28. derkoi

derkoi

Who are you?

Dangerous Derk Interactive

Fishing Simulation

We use terrain for the lakes and surrounding environment

I pretty much echo what others have said but I'd like to add this:

PLEASE MAKE THE WIND ZONES PUBLIC SO WE CAN ADJUST THEM AT RUNTIME!! The real world doesn't have static weather.

Speaking of weather, out of the box day/night and weather system that works really well with the terrain would be welcome. :)

29. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

Who are you?
    CTO At Kurdify Technologies

First Person , Third Person Shooter Games targeting Consoles, PCs

the current system? , it doesn't fit anywhere, we have to use other assets to fill in the gap

1. Voxel-Based Terrain
    2. Better Integration with Nav-Mesh
    3. Runtime Deformable [see Frostbite3]
    4. Better Vegetation shaders.
    5. Better editing tools, copying, pasting, cutting parts of the terrain
    6. Integrated 3D Ocean system.
    7. ......
    so please, most of us have already pre-ordered U5.0, so please make changes to the terrain system, and may PBR any how affect the terrain system?

Thanks!

30. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

The only thing I'd really like to see is support for pressure sensitive tablet devices (wacom, etc.). Allow us to use the pressure to control the brush's size, strength, or both. This support should also be made accessible for editor script developers, and also possibly for use in built games.

MattGen likes this.
  31. charmandermon

charmandermon

Who are you?

-Dustin Hagen, Base75.com longtime fan and friend of unity & and pro user

- Many ...much many :) , so many games. Racing games, Planetary exploration games, Fantasy Games, First person shooters, Third person games, Rts games, flight simulators, WINGSUIT simulator....i know this sounds crazy but i really do have a ridiculous amount of prototypes and ideas that I am working on.

- Terrain is exremely important to me for the future of true immersion of games and applications. I don't want to worry about micro details but i would love to paint mountains and have algorithms already set to change the texture blending based on the angle and height of the terrain areas.
    - Voxels are very important for my motocross game - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mad/id537741863?mt=8
    voxels would allow me to make some really amazing caves and cliffs that would just be amazing.

- I also would love greater support of roads, streets and race maps. loops, jumps, angle banking of roads for hard turns. I would also love for the ability to have it branch away from terrain for more sci fi race maps. I don't like constantly switching between 3d modeling applications.

- Auto Environment - Eco System Generation
    - Brushes to tweak your environment without having to worry about texturing. For instance I would love the ability to auto generate a 5k by 5k open world map in the editor, then for advance precision i would go in and add Huge mountains in the middle of the map and the textures would automatically know what to do based on settings applied before hand for which textures are applied at which angle and which altitude.
    - greater Support for Substances.
    -Realtime Terrain destruction - with support for applying alternate "under earth/ground" textures for altitudes
    -Realtime Terrain generation with streaming serialization (import and export) for large open world games - Like a flight simulator.
    -WATER...I need real water, water that causes waves and wakes when you move a boat or jet ski on top of it. Water that can have dynamic waves, water that can interact with wind. Water that can support bouncy out of the box with physx. Water that Runs off a cliff that forms a water fall from your voxel mountains. Water that can fill holes or can be leaked out by opening a dam.

Thanks guys keep up the great work!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
    Eric2241 likes this.
  32. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Who are you?
    Unity Hobbyist/Freelancer

All different kinds. Currently working on a survival game.

The game is set in it.

I have been working on a real time world generation system for awhile.

I would like to see a terrain system in which you can create gorgeous immersive worlds without bringing the system that is playing it to its knees. Particularly with grass and other ground cover.

A terrain texturing approach which reduces tiling. I have seen some nice shaders out there - why can't we do this out of the box. An ability to dynamically mix groups of similar textures to create more varied texturing.

If you are doing dynamic procedurally generated worlds, it would be great to get some form of dynamic nav mesh generation working... even if it was something that you could kick off in the background and have it improve itself over time as it computes a better nav mesh.

Proper day night system. Cloud and weather systems. Mobile friendly performance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  33. gsokol

gsokol

Who are you?
    Artist at AAA studio and Unity Hobbyist/Freelancer

All different kinds. Currently working on a giant, Nature based RPG.

Many of the games I work on use terrain as the base layer for their worlds.

1. More User Friendly detail mesh painting. It seems like, besides the default meshes/standard assets, I can never get detail meshes to properly work. Meshes always scaled wrong, using wonky shaders, not visible, etc.

2. Custom Terrain shape. Many times I have to do a lot of fudging to make up for the fact that terrain is always a square shape. Would be nice to use a custom shape and apply a terrain 'modifier' on top so I could put holes in the terrain, or make smaller, odd shaped portions that match the rest of a level I'm building, etc. Maybe Voxel based terrain will answer some of these concerns, but even then, there are times where I want to stop using the terrain and start using a custom mesh instead.

3. Rotation with tree placement. Modifying size and such is nice, but not being able to rotate trees is a bummer.

4. Custom Materials per Splat. Having the ability to use custom materials for terrains was a nice addition, but I would like to use different materials per splat. If I'm blending some bumped,diffuse,reflective,parallaxed Ice material with a bumped, diffuse, specular scaling UVs dirt material...I have to avoid the terrain system. Also linking Physics materials to be per material would be nice as well.

Overall though, I will say that I'm a big fan of Unity's Terrain system overall...strikes a nice balance between features and usability. Definitely my favorite terrain system to work with. You guys rock :D

If I can think of any other ideas for improvements I'll edit this post and throw them in there.

34. Samuel411

Samuel411

Who are you?

Programmer, Hobbyist

Working on 2D but I also have a first person 3D game.

The terrain is going to be a big part of the 3D game. It will be what the player will see mostly throughout the game.

Better performance, caves, rotating trees, and better painting tools are all I can think of.

35. ChezDoodles

ChezDoodles

Who are you?
    Indie developer

Railroad/transport simulation game, featuring trains, boats and airplanes.

Does not.
    Had to make custom terrain. My largest map is 360448 x 196608 float samples at roughly 2m resolution. It decompresses from 24mb in total into small chunks that works nice even on mobile, and can be deformed by paths at runtime. I really don't need 2m resolution for anything but where I need to modify the terrain because of paths / roads. 8m works fine by the rest of the terrain.

Water and Rivers - with navigation
    Roads/paths that can deform landscape at runtime
    Tunnels
    Compression
    Supply Unity with terrain-generator at runtime
    Sub-divisional surfaces
    Ability to tag areas as for instance "forrest" and have the terrain engine put down as many trees as possible (defined by the runtime platform).
    Vertical uv-mapping

36. zRedCode

zRedCode

Who are you?
    An indie developer group,
    Full physic simulation game, witha a big terrain.
    I actualli need an optimal system to make terrain painted textures not repeated.
    Water, rocks and rivers. tunnels. Terrain generation at runtime using precalculated images and/or perlin noise based terrains). Better terrain LOD's, better billboard. Support for normal images in gray scale as heightmap. Possibility to malke rounded terrains (like planets.)

37. Voronoi

Voronoi

Who are you?
    Programmer, Indie games, installation artist

Working on a 2D game, have done a lot of AR games, experimental apps

Used it once for an installation, had to keep things so simplified for performance I probably could have used geometry instead.

Procedural support for building terrains, including vegetation placement based on slope, erosion tools. Basically, the same tools dedicated Virtual World tools use. If terrain is meant for realism, it's just not possible to hand paint an entire landscape, this should be done procedurally, through rule based systems. Then, carve out the roads, villages, etc. manually.

Obviously some weather, lighting changes would work great with PBR, allowing the world to mimic real life changes. I don't see a need for real time changes in the landscape in game, unless it is performant.

38. Deleted User

Deleted User

Who are you?

Hobbyists and Freelance Graphic Designer/Game Designer/UI/UX designer

I'm currently working on:
    2D side scrolling mobile game for Android (For children and my daughters)
    2.5D Side scrolling adventure game for Android (for my company)
    3D game Desktop game for Mac,Linux,PC (for a client)
    2D Side scrolling mobile game (for a client)
    3D Space Sim/open world space game (for myself)
    3D Open world native American game (for myself)

Experimenting with using Unity to create two mobile apps (yes I know...)

Currently the terrain system works just fine. I don't worry much about terrain design so I can't ask for anything more.

Shader's and Particle effects. Those are my two biggest request.

The current particle effects systems leaves much to be desired. It's a entry level system where if I (or a client) wants more advanced/appealing particle effects I have to use something from the Assets store.

The current shader system I don't even use it. Because Shader Forge is That good, so good that I won't work on anything 3D without Shader Forge. If you can create a visual shader system on par with shader forge and enhance the particle effects, that would make things a lot easier for me. As you know creating mobile games file size is a very important thing to keep in mind.

39. Murgilod

Murgilod

I hope that UT takes note of the not-insignificant amount of people here who have to roll their own terrain systems.

Mikael-H and Ostwind like this.
  40. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

Care to elaborate? What you just said is basically the equivalent of saying that you hope your favorite restaurant takes note of the number of people who aren't satisfied with their food. It would be helpful if you specified the reasons people need to implement their own terrain systems, or proposed a solution that you feel might accommodate a wider range of users.

Whippets likes this.
  41. Murgilod

Murgilod

You mean like I did in the second post in this very thread?

UndeadButterKnife likes this.
  42. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Indie developer... small games...

I'd like a terrain system capable of planets, I mean, very large areas with multiple levels of detail... maybe some kind of GPU-driven fractal-detail generator. We're in 2014 now, we shouldn't be looking at height maps.

There are some interesting modifiable terrain systems on the store which let you carve out the environment etc, some are super expensive, some are pretty good and more affordable, but in general it seems they're all relatively slow at either generating or updating modifications. What's needed is a much, much faster pipeline of uploading changes. But another big key part is collisions... updating terrain means changing the collision mesh which seems to be incredibly slow for anything but a very small area of modification. This needs to be super optimized, so that `animating` a modification becomes possible. I'm picturing those games where you can launch some weapon that `raises` land or whatever and you see it animated over a large area. Or more to the point, i'm thinking of `The Genesis Probe` in that star-trek movie, where the whole planet can be dynamically terraformed and animated. This surely calls for treating the terrain like some kind of massive volumetric particle system or something, but with fractal details that can be modified.... e.g. multiple levels of subdivision or whatever.

This would automatically then support any kind of shapes whatsoever including overhangs and tunnels etc. Freeform. It seems there was some ninja camp project trying to do something along these lines.

In terms of texturing etc I'd like to possibly see some procedural texturing capabilities with much more variety. Think terragen 2 in realtime? I mean, this is 2014, we have very very fast GPU's (combatively) and they really need to get involved in rendering and positioning and modifying the terrain.

As well as that though there needs to be much more large-scale ways to modify and build terrain, not just hand-painting blobs and hills and pits, but more of a fractal/procedural way to add stuff that really looks good quickly. Like to add a whole mountain range.

How about some kind of screen-space terrain shader or something? Not forgetting shadows and lighting.

43. mgear

mgear

Who are you?

programmer & hobbyist

serious games/simulations/vr, and just playing with unity on free time..

usually looks horrible, especially with the default terrain resources/materials..

basically cryengine visual quality & performance: terrain, trees & plants, that means unity should come with, even just a few, proper materials to get started (examples: link#1 , link#2 ..).. and of course its just too slow currently (with more than few mesh trees..)

also you could "license" this system for unity (or support him to release cheap version as in shaderforge?)
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/te...es-infinite-procedural-smooth-terrain.174595/

44. Cheetoturkey

Cheetoturkey

Who are you?

Programmer, Hobbyist/Freelancer

A Fps/rts

it is what most people will see in the game

-Better engine sculpting tools
    -Proper Normal map support
    -Performance!!
    -Stitching multiple terrains together
    -tunnels
    -Being able to tag areas
    -Better integration with Navmeshes

45. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi there,

updating unity’s terrain system just sounds like a dream.
    and if i keep on dreaming that dream i see:
    - dymanic megatextures like in leadwerks engine
    - halo war’s like vector displacement fields (http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1277/HALO-WARS-The-Terrain-of)

but let’s get back to reality.

geometry
    - personally i do not need voxel based terrains. heightfield based terrain solutions are still state of the art in most engines: they are fast and reliable. so it is still fine for me to go this way.
    - if one needs cilffs or overhangs: support proper mesh blending like the color map ultra shader or rtp do.
    - if one needs caves: support cutting holes into the terrain. that works perfectly in conjunction with using mesh blending.
    - a road/path and river tool is absolutely necessary.
    - smoother switches between the different lods would be nice.

shading
    - i do not rank triplanar shading that high as it is just very expensive!
    (may be adding support of triplanar shading for 1 or 2 detail layers might be a good compromise.)
    but i would like to see features offered by already available packages like:
    - global color map
    - global normal map
    - parallax or even parallax occlusion mapping
    - heightmap based detail layer blending
    - texture atlasing and at least 8 detail textures in one pass

large open worlds
    when it comes to large open worlds things get very complex:
    - improve stitching and streaming
    - make terrain materials less demanding (cpu costs)
    - i can not imagine large open worlds without a general time of day solution and a proper weather simulation. so the terrain and its shaders should at least support:
    -- sunny, dry weather
    -- wetness (no big deal when using physically based rendering) and puddles
    -- dynamic snow

most of these features are already available through third party packages – nevertheless they should be incorporated into the core.

details
    right now terrain details are the most serious concern to me as there is not much that can be done about those using custom solutions.
    - grass
    -- speed up rendering and reduce the number of drawcalls.
    -- add the possibility to align grass meshes/quads to the terrian’s normal to get rid of floating grass
    - custom meshes (vertex lit)
    -- add the possibility to align those to the terrian’s normal to get rid of floating grass
    -- allow those to cast real time shadows (like in unity 2.6!)
    -- add a proper vegetation shader that supports bending , translucency and slope aware lighting (like the advanced foliage shader)
    -- give us a third „shader“ for small objects like rocks

trees
    - store those in a quad- or even octree based data-structure to speed up any calculation (like e.g. culling but also physics! having 10000 tree colliders just kills your frame rate as well as z-sorting 10000 billboards does).
    - enhanced billboarding like the advanced foliage shader offers including smoother fading using:
    -- camera aligned billboards
    -- billboards casting realtime shadows (a 2nd billboard texture rendered from the sun’s position would already help a lot here to render correct billboard shadows if you used an approach like afs does)
    -- rendered billboard textures including real time self shadowing (otherwise translucency just makes the billboard textures useless)

lars

crudeMe, Nanako, EurekaOW and 7 others like this.
  46. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

My mistake, I thought you were trying to communicate something new.

47. jmatthews

jmatthews

I agree with lars on most counts, however I feel like a voxel solution is the way to go. You guys are obviously aiming for a large upgrade as far as 5.0 is concerned and a voxel representation with any of the dual triangulation methods would give you a great selling point.

Some form of procedural texturing is a must. A cohesive paging system that eliminates the floating point errors as you move away from the origin would also be a huge selling point. Blending of meshes and terrain is a must.

It's a tough project to tackle. Most complaints i've seen are related to the imposter system and performance.

If you're looking for a band aid before you tackle a re-write I'd look at the imposter system and the data representation.

48. derf

derf

Who are you?

Independent Developer

Have several projects in motion, horror survival, Space Real Time Strategy, tactical horror survival and fantasy tactical.

Creating large terrains for zones a player or players can explore.

For one would like the ability to generate a height map with settings we can adjust and generate a map as needed. Add in multiple textures based on the height map settings to very quickly generate maps.

Better paint tools for blending textures.

Better tree creator tool for more natural looking trees and the ability to rotate trees after they are placed.

Normal maps for terrain textures.

Improve the bill board system.

The ability to tag on area so we can validate code against it to play specific music when player is in scene 01 or 08 so we can have a reusable code for background music.

Better performance overall.

49. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I haven't had much use for the terrain system myself due to the nature of most of my projects, but the impostor system is something I'd love to have had access to. I think it should be separate to the terrain system, even if the terrain system also uses it.

I want to be able to give a generic impostor system any GameObject/Renderer and, from there:
    - have some general controls over when the impostor will be updated;
    - be able to manually force an update of the impostor from script; and
    - have access to the generated sprite/impostor texture to re-use elsewhere.

I know this isn't terrain specific, but since the only impostor system in Unity is the one currently built into the terrain I think it's relevant to mention.

50. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Who are you?

My Name is Benjamin Stanley. I am a member of a 2 Man team (Myself and my Dad)

Our Current game is a Top Down GTA Clone with a heavy focus on modding.

We are using allot of terrain based plugins for our game. Things like Road Architect and World Composer these save us allot of time.

Features we would like to see -

Splat Map Support - See Link

Overhangs, Caves, etc. - Self Explanatory :)

A generic Road tool or Tool set for making roads. - See Road Architect

Continuous World with a 2D Editor for manipulating terrain objects * - Link
    - The 2D Editor should show the terrain in a like hierarchy view (Sorted Alphabetically)
    - The 2D Editor should also have Separate render view with a top down view of the game world.
    - We should be able to drag terrain around the 2D editor and have it update in real time in our main view port.

Some form of API for calling new terrain functions. - Self Explanatory.

The ability to populate a terrain quickly - A few Minutes to a few hours depending on the Complexity of the game world. - See Terrain Composer

Make new terrain perform awesome on both Desktop, Web and Mobile.

Make the new terrain look pretty.

Antony-Blackett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.