Search Unity

1. We're looking for feedback on Unity Starter Kits! Let us know what you’d like.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2017.2 beta is now available for download.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity 2017.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Introducing the Unity Essentials Packs! Find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out all the fixes for 5.6 on the patch releases page.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Help us improve the editor usability and artist workflows. Join our discussion to provide your feedback.
    Dismiss Notice

Off-site backup services for my Unity project

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Velo222, Aug 12, 2017 at 6:17 PM.

1. Velo222

Velo222

Hey guys,

I just wanted some ideas on good services/companies/websites that will automatically keep my Unity project folder backed up (off-site).

I'm asking this because I just tried "Carbonite" and I wanted to download a "backed up" project and Carbonite limited me to downloading 5000 files per download, and my project has 100,000+ files in it. So I had to manually go through and download 5000 files at a time, and try to keep them all in the same hierarchy etc..... It was a pain.

Long story short, I don't want to use Carbonite anymore and want to do something else. I'm looking at Dropbox right now (is that a good option?).

Something that allows me to have (or download) my entire project all at once would be nice. Any recommendations? Pro tips? Thanks :)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 6:24 PM
  2. TonyLi

TonyLi

angrypenguin, Kiwasi and theANMATOR2b like this.
  3. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Thats the one I was trying to remember - thanks Tony.
    How could I manipulate this to free up some space on my local drive filled with art/animation content. :D Hmmm?

4. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Actual game content or source files?

5. Velo222

Velo222

Interesting, I'll have to take a look at that, thanks. :)

Actual game content included (if you're asking me).

6. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

If it were source, that would be easy, put it in a sibling of the assets folder, commit and delete locally. For game content about the only thing you can do is shift to asset bundles, using a second project, so the don't live in the project. But that isn't a trivial effort. Best option would be to just get a bigger drive.

7. TonyLi

TonyLi

Some DVD-Rs or an external HDD might be more convenient.

There's a bit of a learning curve to version control, but the first time it saves your project you won't begrudge the learning curve in the least. With plain cloud storage like Dropbox, if you've been saving a corrupt scene file for days, there's no easy way to get it back to a good version. But if you're using version control, you can just bring back an older version.

8. landon91235

landon91235

PlasticSCM is a source control system that specifically mentions being ideal for game development.