Search Unity

Oculus VR Splash Screen does not show

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by ardakoyuncu, Apr 12, 2017.

1. ardakoyuncu

ardakoyuncu

Hi everyone!

I am trying to create a very simple splash screen where it shows a logo for a couple seconds in the VR headset before it launches to the application. (Regardless of the drawmode it just does not work. I am not trying to get rid of Made with Unity logo, just want to be able to show the logo before or with made with unity logo.)

After I build I click the executable and it tells me the application is taking a little while to load in Rift menu. Once it loads it immediately goes to the application instead of showing me the splash screen. I disabled the resolution and quality dialog that pops right after you launch the executable. If that is enabled I see the splash screen on the tiny window on top of it but still not in VR headset. I can also view the splash screen if I hit preview in the playersettings. I am running version 5.6.0f3 and its not pro but as far as I know it should still show the splash screen regardless.

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

The new splash screen does not run in VR. The VR team felt that it was not suitable as it's not 3D, so when VR mode is detected it is not shown. On some VR devices a VR version of the splash will be shown but this is not connected to the splash screen settings, so won't use any logos or parameters supplied to it. Adding VR support to the new splash screen is planned for the future.
    You should be able to customise the VR version of the splash by applying a logo here:
    upload_2017-4-12_20-25-0.png

3. ardakoyuncu

ardakoyuncu

I tried doing this, now I get the logo on the monitor but still the same thing in the headset. It still says please wait and then says, this scene is taking a while to load etc. And then immediately switches to the app, no splash screen in goggles. Any thoughts?

4. Dois

Dois

HOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. dr3d

dr3d

yeah no this still not worky

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

@karl_jones is this supported by now? If so, which Unity Version from?

BrainwareLLC likes this.
  7. Desoxi

Desoxi

Interested in this as well, 2019.3.10f1 and its still not working correctly :/

BrainwareLLC likes this.
  8. BrainwareLLC

BrainwareLLC

This happens for me on Oculus Go after I start a new project and add an XR Rig, in 2019.3.13f1. The abd logcat show hundreds of error messages "Screen position out of view frustum (screen pos 0.000000, 0.000000, 1000.000000) (Camera rect 0 0 1024 1024) (Filename: Line: 3452).

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

@karl_jones I have a weird problem with the VR Splash Screen. Since we upgraded from 2018.4 to 2019.3 I recognized that starting up our app on the Oculus Quest does not show the splash screen at all, it launches with blackness.
    I then tried the used image in an empty project and it showed up fine.
    I then went in and instead of building with the BuildPlayer API, built our project the regular way. The image appeared, although it shows some small jaggyness, probably related to loading.
    I then went back in and tried building via BuildPipeline again and then I only saw the image for a split second.
    I don't know what's going on. Is it possible that the loading process of the engine has changed in that the CPU is so busy it does not manage to show it until the game launches and the SplashScreen time is over?

We use the XR Management plugin, Universal Render Pipeline, GLES3 only.... anything else relevant?

10. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Sorry I don't know what this could be. The splash screen was handled differently for vr when I last checked. Could you please file a bug report?

11. firestorm185

firestorm185

The easiest way to replicate what Unity does in their 2D splash screen is to create a simple VR rig in a 3D scene, make planes with all your logos on them as materials, and animate them fading in and out. That's what I'm doing for my current project, and it's working great.

WilderMedeiros likes this.
  12. firestorm185

firestorm185

I then have a script that has a simple timer on it, and after all 3 animations play with my logos (about 15 seconds of animation) the timer runs out and calls a method (a private void inside the script) that loads the next level.

13. evan_spiegel

evan_spiegel

Hey there, did you ever find a solution to this? I'm having the same problem on Oculus Quest. When I build, it takes about seven seconds for the app to load the first scene, so I'm trying to put in a VR splash screen using the Player settings but the image only shows up for a split second right before the first scene loads. I'm using Unity version 2019.3.15.

14. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

It's worth filing a bug report for this. The splash screen is implemented differently for XR/VR.

15. evan_spiegel

evan_spiegel

Maybe I'll do that, thanks!

karl_jones likes this.
  16. evan_spiegel

evan_spiegel

Hi there, I submitted a bug report for this a while ago but haven't gotten any response yet. I'm working with Unity version 2019.4.14 and Oculus Quest. I used to be able to get a splash image but now it's just the dot dot dot. When you say the splash screen is implemented differently for XR/VR, can you give any more details on that? Thanks!

17. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

I'm afraid I don't know the specifics. Do you have a bug number?

18. evan_spiegel

evan_spiegel

Yes I do! The case number is 1288228.

19. CedricMorelFrancoz

CedricMorelFrancoz

So is it fixed in April 2021? i encountered the same issue using Unity 2019.3.5f1 personnal : No splash screen launched with my App on quest 2. Note that i use the Unity XR interaction toolkit and the XR plugin management / plugin provider/oculus loader.

20. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Yes its fixed https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...y-splash-image-doesnt-show-up-with-new-xr-sdk
    Try updating to the latest 2019.4 version, the fix went into 2019.4.15f1

a436t4ataf likes this.
  21. CedricMorelFrancoz

CedricMorelFrancoz

22. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

23. LorisToia

LorisToia

Hi, I'm with Unity 2020.3.26f1 lts
    I can say that Virtual Reality Splash Image works in build launched by oculus (not the developer hub).
    But no settings works, i'm interested with the background color

24. jdmartin373

jdmartin373

Using Unity 2021.1.24f1 and 2021.3.8fi. In both versions, the VR splash image plays but the following logos do not. It previews fine in the editor when I run a preview in Player settings and if I build to the Quest without targeting VR (by removing Oculus plug from XR plug-in management). In the latter case it plays as a 2d app in the headset rather than VR. Is it possible to play the logos through the Player settings when building toVR? If not, can this feature be added.

nfinity7, sa-muratbalci and ragut79 like this.