Search Unity

Objects in Scene disappear when I zoom it

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by McMunchly, Apr 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McMunchly

McMunchly

When I am trying to manipulate objects in the scene view they tend to disappear when I zoom in, which means I can't do precise tweaks and things. I don't know if there is some kind of setting or what but I'd like to know if I could make it stop doing that. Objects disappear even if I'm not that zoomed in to them.

Here's a picture showing the scene view with the object getting cut off by grey.

DinukR, Power_Teddy, Luis0413 and 8 others like this.
  2. RANDOM++

RANDOM++

Select the object you want to work on, and press F. This focusses the screen on the object you selected.

3. McMunchly

McMunchly

That worked. Awesome!

Luis0413, R-B_Games and CJ_Smith like this.
  4. RANDOM++

RANDOM++

Another saved soul :D

DinukR, R-B_Games, CJ_Smith and 2 others like this.
  5. algazel

algazel

This helped me too, thanks!

6. saruul34

saruul34

Niiiice, it helped me too.

7. Boyd1234

Boyd1234

Thank you!

8. tarabout

tarabout

And it helped me too! Saved!

9. caio_marc

caio_marc

It helped me too, in the Editor mode!
    However, when I'm testing the game, the object is not shown.
    What's up?
    Thank you bro

ageiss likes this.
  10. VertexZero

VertexZero

Thanks this helped me BIG time!!!

11. marcola_gt

marcola_gt

Gooood, it helped me too!! lol

12. TiresomeCube34

TiresomeCube34

Thxxxx Helped lots ^-^

13. RevolverOctorok

RevolverOctorok

... This didn't work for me for some reason. :(

When I press F, I can see the object in the hierarchy pop out a bit and have a yellow background, but absolutely nothing happens in scene view. All of my Gizmos (frames and what not) disappear when I zoom in no matter what.

Goldfishie likes this.
  14. aniket56

aniket56

thanks. It helped.

15. aletl10

aletl10

TY so much holy savior

16. KatieGO

KatieGO

Omg, thank you so much savior of the day! I was really frustrated and thought about camera depth or wrong dimensions - like in 3D programs... This was almost way to easy :)

Edit: Just wondering, why this is still bothering people 5 years after the first post... It's no bug - it's a feature? It consfuses me, because I work with Unity about 2,5 years now, and I've never had this before. Though I use Unity pro at work and now I've installed the personal edition at home to play around some more. Maybe it's just in personal edition...? I don't know.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  17. gsammbunny

gsammbunny

Helped me too Thanks bro

18. AhmedShareef

AhmedShareef

Yay! It worked! Thank you very much

19. GoKman

GoKman

Hah... It is works. Ok, thanks!

20. Alboss

Alboss

thx it worked

21. khaledr

khaledr

thanks a lot you saved me from headache

22. AleRaJo

AleRaJo

Omg, life saver. I don't know what I would do without it!

23. akashganga7

akashganga7

but in my case you can't see the all objects at a time, that is painful when i adding new objects and need to position them perfectly

when i zoom at the new objects, old objects disappear

when i zoom at the new objects new objects disappear

how can i solve it

24. martin96depe

martin96depe

Hi everybody,
    in the scene view, when i rotate the view, it seems like I am in the center and I look around me losing the sight of the object.
    is it possible to focus on the object and rotate around it?

25. awesomedata

awesomedata

Shameless plug, but...

You should really try Snapcam for this -- its "View Navigator" makes scene navigation much better all-around (plus you can actually configure it). Navigation in Unity is not straightforward, I made Snapcam because I myself had too many issues with the viewport navigation/controls in Unity.

To rotate around a selected object:

Just hold "Space" and move your mouse around to rotate around it. You can even zoom in/out with the mousewheel (and change your zoomspeed too) if you like.

I've also added the ability to "dolly-zoom" (instead of Unity's weird "focal/sniper" style zoom, which affects the camera movement speed, draw-depth, positioning, and all other sorts of non-sense). You just roll your mousewheel while holding Space (when nothing is selected). You can also glide forward by simply pressing the "Shift" key and (correct your movement direction while holding the right mouse button down). You can also pan (locally) with the middle-mouse, and change your movement speed (on the fly) with the mousewheel. The pan speed can also be changed with the middle-mouse wheel and either Ctrl or Alt.

Also, it's a little-known fact currently, but Snapcam NAVIGATION STUDIO is actually more than "just camera controls" -- I've changed its mission altogether with the new navigators I am releasing. The camera controls are just a huge bonus. NAVIGATION STUDIO will actually allow you to navigate your game itself with its new "Adventure Navigator" -- but I'm going to keep that one under wraps for the moment! :D

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  26. HypeModz

HypeModz

I want to die. This did not work for me.

rgvAtIt likes this.
  27. awesomedata

awesomedata

The core issue is that Unity does some peculiar things with the camera position and FOV when zooming using the mousewheel. This affects all kinds of weird things such as how fast you move through the scene with WASD navigation controls as well as stuff like frustrum culling / clipping distance (the point of this topic). The default implementation of camera control is very bizarre.

The solution is simple -- instead of "FOV" zoom, you "dolly" zoom instead.
    The "not-so-straightforward" part about Unity's "dolly" zoom implementation is that it is a "FOV" zoom that "dolly" zooms also. Unity tries both (at the same time) and totally succeeds at it (while also totally failing at user-experience because of that success, as you will see below.)

To "dolly" zoom in Unity:

• First, you reset the FOV to the default level you want it at using the mousewheel zoom. Then --from now on-- you will _always_ need to move with the WASD keys..
    • ALSO you have to remember to never 'accidentally' zoom using the mousewheel ever again. That's HARD because almost every other 3d / art program uses mousewheel zoom. You will instinctively roll your mousewheel at some point.

Then, _reset_ your FOV zoom again (and again) so you can again "dolly" zoom at a speed/distance that (again) matches your scene and object scale (and so "culling" doesn't make your objects disappear again!)

The problem with this method comes when, at first, you won't notice anything's wrong when you mousewheel zoom a few times.
    BUT, when you decide to "dolly" zoom with right-click + WASD again -- "zzzip!!!" Your camera flies across the scene!! (or fails to move far/fast at all!!)
    Why? -- Unity's "FOV" zoom is tied to both the viewport's FOV mechanism and the viewport camera's "dolly" positioning mechanism.

The "dolly" zoom position takes into account the "FOV" zoom distance as well.

This is why culling (disappearing objects) happens at weird moments.

Unity's approach prevents you from using one zoom "type" without affecting the other.

The hybrid position/zoom mechanism probably sounded good on paper -- but totally sucks in practice.
    There is no other option but to remove one zoom mode (contextually) so you may use the other in the correct context.

I made Snapcam to solve exactly this problem with the "user-experience".
    Snapcam automatically picks the "correct" mode, depending on the scene camera context / type ("FOV" zoom for 2d/iso/ortho, and "dolly" zoom for regular 3d scene movement.)

Snapcam does only "dolly" zoom in 3d perspective mode. Just hold "Shift" and go to town. You can even reverse movement if you hold "Alt+Shift" -- It also disables Unity's "FOV" zoom behavior automatically in 3d mode -- When in 2d or Iso/Ortho mode, the "FOV" mode is still necessary to zoom in these camera styles, so it is re-enabled temporarily.

Some other benefits of Snapcam:
    • An alternative way to "dolly" zoom is holding "Alt" and rolling the mousewheel. The mousewheel alone controls your forward/back flight speed (which is handy during flythrough in tight spots -- you can actually _slow_ movement "on the fly"... pun intended)

• You can pause movement at anytime to look around (or correct your flight direction) by holding right-click in the viewport, and releasing it to continue forward (while never letting your finger off of the "Shift" key. )

• Holding "Space" lets you orbit around the currently-selected gameobject and "dolly" zoom in/out with the mousewheel alone.

• There are other cool "Navigators" too (this is just one of three current "Navigators" -- the "View Navigator") -- but Snapcam offers a lot more with its "Snap Navigator" and "Grid Navigator" for instantaneous scene navigation, plus the new "Adventure Navigator" will make it easier to navigate your _game_ as well!

• It's also super-cheap right now. Usually around $30, Snapcam NAVIGATION STUDIO is now $13 (in anticipation of my new Adventure Navigator) -- to reward any early adopters. :)

Snapcam is my preferred solution (I won't edit a scene without it), but your mileage may vary.

I hope this helps! :)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  28. zombakel

zombakel

try to set to another layout.

29. pdm1412

pdm1412

Happens the same to me, but if you press "SHIFT + F" it actually works as expected.

30. akbarccjj

akbarccjj

It helped me as well! Thanks! <3

31. unity_GP9YmUZ3lKWz9g

unity_GP9YmUZ3lKWz9g

32. villevli

villevli

You can also focus on any point on the surface of objects by clicking with the middle mouse button (scroll wheel) on a visible surface of an object. The camera orbit point will be set to that location and the scene camera will be adjusted to make the point visible just like when pressing F to focus on the center of an object.

33. asdf5670545

asdf5670545

Thanks a lot!

34. Jonathan-Bro

Jonathan-Bro

I share the same sentiment. I'm confused why using the shortcut key works but the zoom-in does not. I suspect the "zoom with scroll wheel" and "zoom to object" operate diffently, but this isn't apparent to the user thus the confusion.

Perhaps something needs to be added to the SceneView on the screen to flash a zoom number when you use the the scroll wheel so you know when it's at it's limit?

35. EclecticSteve

EclecticSteve

Thank you! #SaveMeJebus

36. jowin4ever

jowin4ever

hahaha... lol.. I have 3 times got confused about this damn case.
    Thank you very much RANDOM+++

37. awesomedata

awesomedata

One thing to keep in mind --

the reason your objects "reappear" when you press "F" is because the SceneView camera changes its cull distance entirely to account for your current selection. This wouldn't be so bad but it causes other problems -- such as it affects how fast you can move in the SceneView.

Rolling your mousewheel increases the SceneView cam movement speed, but it BORKS your mousewheel movement speed increases if the object is really large (like terrain) and you want to move reasonably smaller distances (and the opposite is true as well.)

You will have to select between large and small objects and press F constantly if you're doing a game with a large world.

This is the exact reason why I made Snapcam -- to keep the camera and movement consistent in the scene view. :p

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    Matthu32 likes this.
  38. kami1339

kami1339

No!
    Listen to me When I am trying to manipulate objects in the scene view they tend to disappear when I zoom in!
    i solved it! Simple click Center Of It!

Attached Files:

• 111.png
      111.png
      File size:
      5.4 KB
      Views:
    gsammbunny likes this.
  39. HOELS

HOELS

you god

40. gsammbunny

gsammbunny

Great ^_^

41. ariftahir17

ariftahir17

If F doesn't work - I just had this problem and changed the iso to persp just below the gizmo

alecia_antara, latadkolur and vpamidi like this.
  42. BostonGamesLLC

BostonGamesLLC

Another newb thanks! :rolleyes::D

43. AnriGameS_YT

AnriGameS_YT

Thank you!

44. ryanammonstephenson

ryanammonstephenson

most likely F helps but you have actually accidently hit the iso in the upper right hand corner of the view screen. Click on it and it will turn your view back to perspective, and not clip the geometry. Your Welcome :D

45. baoquoc860

baoquoc860

thank you :)

46. vpamidi

vpamidi

It worked. Thank You.

47. Boy2000

Boy2000

omg that just fixed everything

48. anandapersa

anandapersa

Estava com o mesmo problema, me ajudou bastante. Obrigada!

49. dsunay

dsunay

its been almost 8 years and your answer is still appreciated. Thanks a lot !

50. rabeea_awad_kideo

rabeea_awad_kideo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.