Search Unity

[Released] [V2 - WIP] Construction Kit - Create highly detailed and efficient scenes in minutes

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eskovas, May 28, 2017.

1. eskovas

eskovas

Create detailed and efficient scenes in minutes!

Object Construction Kit is designed to allow developers to quickly and efficiently create detailed scenes with ease.

After the object is ready, the OCKit generates combined objects with levels of detail for greater performance.

This asset also includes an Atlas Tool, that allows creating, editing and managing several atlases at the same time.

Features:
    - Focused on fast and easy workflow for artists and level designers
    - Randomize position, scale, rotation, UV placement, image, sprite for each single object
    - Support for pre-made mesh LODs
    - Generate combined objects with the same material
    - Automatic LOD generation with user defined attributes
    - Automatic prefab creation
    - Generated meshes are saved on the project folder
    - Support for combining objects, with LODs, even if they are not used by the Object Construction Kit
    - Extra Atlas Tool for creating, editing and managing several atlases at the same time
    - Projection component that automatically projects groups of objects onto surfaces
    - One-Button Randomization
    - Full Source Code

All assets in the videos and images are included with Object Construction Kit.

Videos:

Object Construction Kit - Tutorial

Atlas Tool

Object Construction Kit - Early Preview

1.png
    2.png
    3.png
    4.png

I have a few features that i still want to add to the asset after release, so if you want any specific feature, let me know.

If you have any feedback, issue, feature request or question, let me know by posting in this thread, by sending a PM or an E-mail.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    Arkade likes this.
  2. eskovas

eskovas

More Images:
    6.png

7.jpg

8.png

9.png

Weendie-Games and AGregori like this.
  3. eskovas

eskovas

Here's what's in store for the first update of Object Construction Kit.

I'm adding support for adding lists of objects to texture groups on the Atlas Tool.
    This will generate new meshes and prefabs with the UVs properly scaled and positioned on the atlas.
    Untitled.jpg

A few minor inconsistencies will also be fixed.

Stormy102 and jayty90 like this.
  4. eskovas

eskovas

Object Construction Kit has been released on the Asset Store! :)

Go check it out: http://u3d.as/Rc3

If you have any questions about the asset, let me know.

5. eskovas

eskovas

Hello everyone,

Just letting you know that i submitted a new update for the asset that adds the ability to add objects to each texture group on the Atlas tool.
    The tool will use these objects and generate new meshes and objects with their UVs correctly placed and scaled on the atlas.

I also fixed some inconsistencies, and fixed not saving the states on a few interface properties and foldout menus.

The update is now pending review, and i'll will let everyone know when it's available.

Tiago

6. Weendie-Games

Weendie-Games

Congratulations! Seems like another good asset for us!

You said that this asset has a "mesh projector" alike feature, just like you showed on your twitter account.
    https://twitter.com/Tiago11F/status/824668713316155394

It works like that? with Unity Terrains?

best regards,

7. eskovas

eskovas

Hello, Thanks!

The asset includes a projector tool that projects individual objects onto surfaces.
    For example, in the main video, when i created the small rocks, i could put them inside another object, assign the projector component to that object, and then all objects inside its hierarchy would be projected onto any surface. And yes, it includes terrains.

The difference here between that tweet and this asset, is that in that tweet the tool would use just 1 mesh that has a lot of rocks, separate them and then project them as 1 mesh.
    The tool in this asset projects individual game objects, but at the end, all objects can also be combined into a single object.

If you have any more questions, let me know :)

Weendie-Games likes this.
  8. eskovas

eskovas

Hello everyone!

As a thank you to all people that purchased First Person View 2, i decided to include a discount price on my new asset Object Construction Kit for those who purchased FPV2!

So, if you have FPV2, then you can buy Object Construction Kit with 25% OFF!

If you are interested in both assets, you can buy FPV2 first and OCKit second to have this discount! Basically saving half the price of FPV2!

First Person View 2: http://u3d.as/xzu

9. paulojsam

paulojsam

sem querer parecer enfim palerma, o object construction e uma especie de mesh baker e isso

10. eskovas

eskovas

Version 1.1 is now Live! http://u3d.as/Rc3

The Atlas Tool can now generate objects that have their UVs in the correct position in the generated atlas.
    It also fixes a few inconsistencies and property state saving.

11. eskovas

eskovas

Mesh Baking é uma das funcionalidades incluidas, mas faz muito mais que isso.

Com o Object Construction Kit, é possível criar ambientes detalhados e variados em muito pouco tempo e com pouco esforço. Inclui ferramentas que automaticamente variam os objetos a serem criados (por sprites num atlas ou regiões numa texturas) e variam outras propriedades dos objetos, como a sua posição, escala e rotação.

Pode ver no video de demonstração a facilidade de criar detalhes numa parede ao utilizar apenas dois atlas:

Para além disso, é então incluído uma funcionalidade que combina estes objetos num só por material, optimizando assim o ambiente. Esta funcionalidade não é exclusiva aos objetos que são usados pelo OCKit, mas também é possível incluir outros objetos que não sejam usados pelo asset.

Também é incluído um mecanismo que permite criar níveis de detalhe com base em dois parâmetros, percentagem de objetos e tamanho minimo dos objetos. Assim, é possível gerar todos os objetos combinados para todos os níveis de detalhe com apenas um clique num botão.

Ainda existem muitas outras funcionalidades incluídas com este Asset, como o Atlas tool, que permite gerar, editar e atualizar múltiplos atlas com facilidade.

Pode ver os restantes videos que estão no primeiro post que demonstram as capacidades deste asset e o que inclui que facilita o processo de criação de ambientes detalhados e eficientes.

Se tiver alguma duvida sobre o asset, não hesite em perguntar :)

( Here's the answer in English: )
    Question asked: Is this some kind of a Mesh Baker tool?

Answer:
    Mesh Baking is one of the functionalities included, but it does much more than that.

With the Object Construction Kit, it's possible to create detailed and varied environments in very little time and effort. It includes tools that automatically randomizes the objects that are being created (by using sprites in an atlas or regions in a texture), and also randomizes other properties of each object, like position, scale and rotation.

You can see in the demonstration video how easy it is to create a detailed wall by just using 2 atlases:
    (video)

There, it's also included a tool that combines all these objects into a single object per material, optimizing the environment. This tool isn't exclusive to the objects used by the OCKit, but it's also possible to include other objects that are not used by the tool.

It's also included another mechanism that allows to create levels of detail based on two parameters, percentage of objects and minimum size for the objects included. So, it's possible to generate combined objects for all levels of details by the click of a single button.

There are also many other functionalities included with the asset, like the Atlas Tool, that allows to generate, edit and replace multiple atlases with ease.

You can see the rest of the videos that are in the first post that demonstrate the asset functionalities and what's included that can improve the creation of detailed and efficient environments.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  12. paulojsam

paulojsam

Muito obrigado pela resposta, mais um happy costumer para a lista ...

eskovas likes this.
  13. eskovas

eskovas

Object Construction Kit is now on Sale
    40% OFF
    for a limited time!
    OCK_Main.png
    http://u3d.as/Rc3

If you haven't gotten it yet, but are interested, be sure to get it now while on sale! :)
    By the way, for those of you that have my other asset, First Person View 2, you will be able to get the Object Construction Kit with 50% OFF!

If you have any questions, be sure to ask!

14. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

This looks really promising. Can you explain more about the Atlas creator? The video goes quite quickly and seems to miss out some fairly crucial steps.
    - I can see how you create slots for each of the materials you want to atlas, and then you manually create a material after generating the atlas textures (seems a shame that this has to be done manually, but whatever)
    - the bit I don't see is how do you then apply this new material to each of the objects? How is the UV remapping done?

I've bought so many of the 'efficiency tools' in the past and found them to not quite deliver what they promised, that I'm a bit reluctant to take the plunge... is there any chance of a demo version? (Maybe a version that adds a watermark into the atlased textures?)

15. eskovas

eskovas

It's done this way because you can assign any name to the atlases you are creating, and without knowing where the texture should go into a material with any shader i couldn't assign it automatically to a material.

I'll see if i can make a simple way to create a material with a specified shader, or use an existing material, and assign each atlas to each texture field (defined by the user).

This is a new feature that i added in the first update, so it isn't in the video.
    When generating the atlases, it will also generate duplicated gameobjects and meshes from the gameobjects that are assigned to each texture group, it will scale and position all uvs of those meshes to the correct uv area of the atlas, and at the end, it will save the mesh and gameobject in the project folder.

After this, you can still add/change/remove texture groups and update the atlases and objects again.

jeromeWork likes this.
  16. eskovas

eskovas

Next update of Object Construction Kit will be submitted soon with a new feature that was mentioned by @jeromeWork

You will be able to assign a material to the Atlas tool, define the texture property name for each atlas, and the tool will automatically assign the generated atlases to the material.

I will also try to post the Roadmap for this asset very soon, so you can see what new features are planned for this asset!

Just another reminder, Object Construction Kit is currently on a limited time sale with 40% OFF, or 50% OFF if you have my other asset First Person View 2.

Object Construction Kit is now on Sale
    40% OFF
    for a limited time!
    OCK_Main.png
    http://u3d.as/Rc3

17. AGregori

AGregori

Hi, I like the videos and the fact that the asset costs less than half than Octave3D (currently).
    However, it seems to do exactly the same as Octave3D, an established prefab placement tool. Does it offer anything extra for those who already own Octave3D?

How does it perform under 2017.1?
    Is there a quick workflow for placing modular prefabs (indoor furniture, urban houses etc.)?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  18. eskovas

eskovas

Hello,
    Sorry for taking so long to answer.

Here's a few key features of Object Construction Kit:
    - Easily duplication with automatic transform randomization ( just Ctr+D and it randomizes automatically the new duplicated object or groups of objects)
    - Merge meshes with the same material ( merged meshes can be updated later on if you want more changes )
    - LOD generation with user controlled parameters ( generate LODs with a percentage of objects and minimum size. This generates new merged meshes for each LOD and it's saved on the project folder )
    - Randomize the UVs of objects so they match specific sprites inside an Atlas ( means you can have an Atlas, and use groups of sprites for specific objects )
    - Randomize the size and position of objects UVs for greater variety in just one texture.
    - Projection component that projects every object inside its hierarchy ( great for uneven surfaces like a terrain )
    - Includes an Atlas generation tool that works very well with Object Construction Kit. You can create multiple atlases (e.g. albedo, normal, specular) at the same time, and you can update those atlases at any time.

A few more things are in the works, here's a quick list of things to come:
    - Generate separated merged objects in a grid,
    - Automatically populate zones with random objects, using parameters like slope, texture, etc,
    - Simplify the setup workflow by creating a scriptable object for each object instead of including everything in the same mesh collection.

I don't know much about Octave3D, but i believe Object Construction Kit offers a lot of unique features that are very useful for constructing and managing levels and having detailed and efficient objects for use in game.

Let me know if you have any more questions or feature request that you would like to see included with the asset.

AGregori likes this.
  19. AGregori

AGregori

Thank you! Will buy -- though I'm currently on holiday with a crappy net connection; how long will the 40% sale last?

So OCK focuses on scene optimization and randomization, which is great. But it could also focus on ease of use and shortcuts. That would instantly make it the best asset of its kind.

Here are some minor feature requests, perhaps you'll like them:
    -- dedicated keyboard shortcuts for frequent transform operations: say, "Z" rotates the selected prefab 90 degrees on the scene.
    -- automatic surface (collider) snapping instead of relying on CTRL/SHIFT/MOUSE.
    -- one-click box/capsule collider generation for selected prefabs
    -- a detailed PDF manual, though perhaps you already did one.

20. eskovas

eskovas

I'm planning for the sale to end at the end of second week of August. The price of the asset will also be decreased from its original price.

I'll see if i can add this one.

This one can be a bit tricky, but it might be possible. OCK already includes a tool that projects every object onto surfaces (in the direction of the parent's down vector)

This one is planned for a future update.

There is already a PDF manual explaining how OCK works :)

AGregori likes this.
  21. eskovas

eskovas

Hello everyone.

I'm currently ironing out the next update of Object Construction Kit.
    This is a "big" update in a sense that it will greatly improve workflow and improve how you setup the objects and collections.

In the next update there will be no more image or mesh collection objects.
    Instead, each mesh, texture or atlas group will be created separately. This means things can be much more organized in the project folder instead of having everything in one place.

ockit_v1_1_objs.jpg

In the inspector of the OCKit object in the scene, you will now assign the scriptable object directly, instead of using Enums.
    ockit_v1_1_obj.jpg

I also removed the Enums that would define the images and meshes, so now it's even easier to add new types of meshes and images.

This also opens up more possibilities for the future of the asset.

The only one bad thing about this update is that it will break the collections that were created for the current version of the asset, so be sure to backup your collections.

I'll try to release the new update this week.
    Next week will also be the last week of the current discount. I will also be reducing the cost of the asset from 29.99$ to 20$.

EDIT:
    In this update, you will also be able to assign a material to the Atlas Construction Kit, tell which shader variable to assign each of the new atlases, and the tool will assign the atlas to the material.

AGregori likes this.
  22. eskovas

eskovas

Hello everyone!

Just submitted the new update for Object Construction Kit!

Here are the release notes:

IMPORTANT - Make sure to backup your collections. This new update makes some breaking changes to the older versions of the asset. You will need to remake each collection.

Notes:
    - Vastly simplified workflow. Mesh and Image Collections have been separated, and you can now create individual files that will define each individual mesh and image collection.
    - Removed Enums that were used to define each mesh and image collection. These are no longer needed with the new and much improved workflow.
    - Added ability to assign a material to the Atlas Construction Kit, and assign the property name for each atlas, so it can be automatically assigned to the material when generated.

---

This will also be the last time for the 40% Off discount, that will be available until the update is approved.
    The price of the asset will also go down to 20$, from 29.99$.

I will also keep the 25% discount for people who also purchased my other asset, First Person View 2.

23. AGregori

AGregori

Cool asset and $20 is a great price, but for better sales, you need to make much clearer what the tool does. From the videos it looks like it's just a neat way to stick post-it notes on a wall and atlasing them. I know it does much-much more, but there are direct competitors to OCK who spend much time on creating tutorial videos and/or pdf's.
    If you position the price to $40+, you risk having zero sales. Again, there are tough competitors out there.

lundon and chelnok like this.
  24. eskovas

eskovas

Fair enough, i will try to make a more complex demonstration of what's possible to do with the tool. Maybe make a small detailed scene with it while using every feature. Thanks for the feedback.

-----

New update is live on the asset store.
    Remember that the new collection system changed and the collections will have to be re-created again.

The new price is now 20$, and if you have my other asset, First Person View 2, you can get Object Construction Kit with 25% off.

chelnok and AGregori like this.
  25. eskovas

eskovas

Hello everyone!

Object Construction Kit is currently on sale with 25% OFF! Check it out and create detailed and efficient scenes with ease!

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/91477

(I actually didn't even realize it was on sale tbh. Didn't get a notification from Unity on the sale)

Edit:
    Well, weird. The sale disappeared...
    Nevertheless, check out the asset and what it's possible to achieve with it by checking out the videos above.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  26. eskovas

eskovas

27. eskovas

eskovas

I've been working on the next version V2 of Construction Kit.

This will bring lots of features and improvements to environment construction, level design and fast/easy optimization for all in Unity.

I have a very brief video with just a small part of the features here:
    https://twitter.com/Tiago11F/status/991785684993224705

Some cool features that are already done for V2:
    - Non-destructive merging tool: You can merge a group of objects, and after the merger you can still change any object in that group and merge again without any issues or duplicated assets.
    - You can have plenty of unique groups of objects in the scene, and each one will be able to merge themselves.(imagine you have many unique regions, like alleys, house divisions, library divisions, storage rooms, offices, etc)
    - You can, with one click, merge every separated group of objects in the scene.
    - You can also with one click switch between visualizing "raw objects" or merged objects in the scene, so you can easily alter the scene as you want after everything has been merged. (no need to individually do it).
    - Ability to selectively generate colliders for the merged objects.
    - Ability to have dynamic objects (objects that can be randomized as seen in V1), LODGroup objects (normal objects that have a LODGroup attached to them. Can have multiple objects per lod) and any other object.

Also some improvements:
    - Added a simple button to the component attached to each object to easily select the main parent object that has the main group component. This is really useful and saves a lot of time.
    - Improved LOD Generation that better uses the size of the objects to calculate which objects are included by size.
    - Added ability to choose which folder in the project folder the merged objects will be saved to (Prefab, meshes).
    - Changed the hierarchy of the main object when using this tool. Each group of objects now has a Raw child (to store the individual objects) and the Combined child (to store the merged objects). Much more consistent and easier to work with.

Here are some of what is being worked on for V2:
    - Add option to not save the merged meshes in the project folder (It currently saves them, but i would like to give the option, although if the meshes aren't saved in the project, the scene will become pretty heavy in size).
    - Generate lightmap UVs for the merged meshes.
    - Ability to merge all objects and materials for upper LODs (selectively).
    - Generate the merged object into grid zones.
    - Spawn groups of objects onto surfaces.

There are also some other stuff planned for the asset.
    If you have any ideas or features you would like to see in the asset, then let me know by posting here and i'll see if i can add it to this tool.

I will be slightly increasing the price of the asset for V2, so if you are interested in this, you can get it while it's at current price.

Last edited: May 3, 2018