Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Noticing a problem while creating my first game.

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by yasser_kaddoura, Sep 30, 2016.

1. yasser_kaddoura

yasser_kaddoura

I watched many videos about various stuff, so I wanted to start a project to test my knowledge.
    I noticed a problem about how to approach the design of the project. I know what I need to do a certain thing, but I don't in which way should I do it. How many scripts should I make? How should I make a relation between different objects?
    I made a successful project that makes what I want, but it's not organized. I am not able to put the issue I am having in words.

Can anyone lead me to a tutorial, book or anything that can help me

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I found what I was looking for and that is design patterns. I watched many tutorials but I hardly noticed anyone mentioning it.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Check out the game design thread - really helpful from my perspective when I was contemplating going solo indie.

3. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

Design Patterns were a fad in software engineering maybe 10 years ago. Now-a-days, you'll find more people making fun of it.

It was really just one book (called Design Patterns) that tried to summarize software engineering tricks, giving them names and an example of each. The book was so-so - many of the examples weren't too good, some of the tricks were completely obvious, some were obsolete. The main point of the book was "we know a lot of tricks now. Maybe organizing and naming them might help," which was a useful thing to write, and a good start at it.

The problem was that at about the same time, there was a huge increase in hiring mostly untrained programmers, by managers who knew nothing about software, for big corporate projects. Managing software is hard. For quite a while, people measured how many lines of code you wrote each day (but a good programmer uses less lines,) or bugs fixed (fix only the easy ones, make more bugs doing it, fix those.) These poor, overwhelmed managers grabbed onto this new book and told everyone to use as many Design Patterns as possible. For years, knowing how to talk about Design Patterns was a good way to get a high-paying job.

For real, as you learn computer programming, you learn tricks for organizing things. Most self-taught programmers make a huge mess on their first big program, probably like you have. That's normal - learn from your mistakes stuff.

theANMATOR2b likes this.