Search Unity

Note to other Visual Studio users upgrading to Unity 5.2

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Baste, Sep 8, 2015.

1. tylerw-savatronix

tylerw-savatronix

No problem, I got used to doing this kind of stuff after my last job working closely with Microsoft in Redmond and their beta stuff (mainly cloud SharePoint when it was in beta...back when the only error it gave was "Something went wrong :(" talk about frustrating....)

holliebuckets likes this.
  2. Acy

Acy

I originaly installed VSTU tools with Unity installer.

I uninstalled Unity and VSTU tools and reinstalled them with the installer again. Now everything seems to work, so reinstalling everything helped. Thanks!

3. tylerw-savatronix

tylerw-savatronix

No problem. Also make sure you're not running Visual Studio with elevated the privileges setting as right now that seems broken.

4. stevenfarmer

stevenfarmer

I have tried uninstall and reinstalling, I'm not running as admin, and cannot load VS2015 at all from Unity. VSTU is installed. Unity appears to lock up, does nothing. Eventually I have to close it out. I also noticed that the 'Game' option from the 'New Project' wizard is not visible in VS2015. Any help would be great!

5. tylerw-savatronix

tylerw-savatronix

1. Have you made sure that the "UnityVS" folder is deleted from your project?
    2. Is VSTU recognized by Unity (Help -> About)
    3. Is Visual Studio 2015 selected in your preferences -> external editor?

Outside of that, what does editor.log say?

6. diekeure

diekeure

This was fixed for me in 5.2.1p3, many thanks!

7. Frederic Zindagi

Frederic Zindagi

I'm trying 5.2.1p3, UnityVS seems to be working for me, but everything Visual Assist related gets disabled :(
    Any suggestion?

8. sljd

sljd

Unity 5.2.1f1 is unable to open VS 2015, starts 2010 instead:

EditorHelper: Attempting to use Visual Studio.
    EditorHelper: Checking for Visual Studio installations.
    EditorHelper: Searching for Visual Studio 2008 installation using the VS90COMNTOOLS environment variable.
    EditorHelper: Found a Visual Studio 2008 installation here: c:/program files (x86)/microsoft visual studio 14.0/common7/
    EditorHelper: Searching for Visual Studio 2010 installation using the VS100COMNTOOLS environment variable.
    EditorHelper: Found a Visual Studio 2010 installation here: c:/program files (x86)/microsoft visual studio 14.0/common7/
    EditorHelper: Searching for Visual Studio 2012 installation using the VS110COMNTOOLS environment variable.
    EditorHelper: No Visual Studio 2012 installation found.
    EditorHelper: Searching for Visual Studio 2013 installation using the VS120COMNTOOLS environment variable.
    EditorHelper: Found a Visual Studio 2013 installation here: c:/program files (x86)/microsoft visual studio 12.0/common7/
    EditorHelper: Searching for Visual Studio 2015 installation using the VS140COMNTOOLS environment variable.
    EditorHelper: Found a Visual Studio 2015 installation here: c:/program files (x86)/microsoft visual studio 14.0/common7/
    EditorHelper: Your preferences indicate Visual Studio should be found here: c:/program files (x86)/microsoft visual studio 14.0/common7/ide/devenv.exe
    EditorHelper: We found a matching Visual Studio 2010 installation here: c:/program files (x86)/microsoft visual studio 14.0/common7/
    EditorHelper: Looking for a running Visual Studio session.
    EditorHelper: No appropriate running Visual Studio session not found, creating a new one.

The following path is valid:
    c:/program files (x86)/microsoft visual studio 14.0/common7/ide/devenv.exe

I indeed don't have anything from the 2010 installation inside the 14.0 folder, only a single devenv.exe, and it's the 2015 one. The 2010 devenv (Isolated Shell) is located here: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe".

Please fix this bug.

9. blahblahkar

blahblahkar

Hi,

Whenever I attach to VS 2015 running in a VM from Unity 5.1.3 running on OS/X, Unity locks up after few seconds. Note that I'm just attaching, not debugging yet. I'm using UTVS 2.1.
    I've tried various versions of 5.1.3 (final and patches) as well as 5.1.4, all with the same results!

I would appreciate any suggestions that would help solve this productivity killing issue.

Thanks.

10. blahblahkar

blahblahkar

Hollibucket, I understand you're saying that devs are well aware of the issues caused by 5.2 and VS. However, it would be nice to give some ETAs as to when problems are going to be addressed.
    Our team is runs on Macs and connect to VS 2015 running in a VM, we've pretty much tried all the versions of 5.2.x and 5.3.0 beta but consistently need to rollback to 5.1.4 in order to get this setup working (VS attaching to Unity for debugging). We would very much like to know that it will be supported and would appreciate to know when it's going to be supported. Any workarounds are also welcome.

Thanks!

11. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

5.2.2p3 will let you use the only UnityVS assemblies, and generate solutions that way, but i cant get the debugger to attach since it seems unity wont expose one to be attached too.

Also i doubt it will ever be officially supported doing the VM trick, since it was a accidental feature before when it did work. But i feel your pain too, since my work uses OSX, so i have to use a VM to get VS.

12. mips

mips

'VM trick'... is not a trick, it's called remote debugging and it's been around for a long time. The problem here is that Unity decided to dumb it out and only emitting on that port if devenv.exe is available. Completely disregarding how people are working and how much most of us out there hate working with Mono.

All they have to do is add an option to emit debug data towards VS, whether it's in a VM or on PC (local or remote). It worked before 5.2 and there are no reason why it should work now. The software I have running in VM is fully licensed and it's not violating any licensing agreement; just waiting for Unity to listen to their customers and give five minutes of good will (literally).

At some point we hope that VS Code will catch up. at which point we won't need to VS in a VM, but this is still far away. At this point, we are far more concerned about debugging abilities than file launching from Unity.

I agree with blahblahkar, Unity's communication is poor to say the least, in general not just in for this topic. But for this thread, why hasn't HollieBucket given us more information, it's been more than a month since last post from Unity on this thread.

13. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

Hi folks! I don't get notified unless you tag me with the @ symbol (and spell my username correctly) ;) I just checked back because I wanted to see how you all were doing.

5.3 is out Dec 8th. Two more weeks of waiting. Hang in there, I know its been really rough (and that's an understatement).

Dave-Carlile likes this.
  14. blahblahkar

blahblahkar

Aside the misspelling of your name (sorry!) this is an elliptic post. I'm going to be optimistic and speculate this means 5.3 will once again allow to debug Unity Editor using Visual Studio in a VM on Mac!

15. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

I also have this to share!!! :D Let me know what you think/comments/disgust (hopefully not)
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/vs-code-unity-debugger-extension-preview.369775/

5.3 is going to be all about rebuilding trust for Unity. I'm going to be very very cautious about saying anything until its proven it can work for me, before I tell you it works. This girl has a few projects to jam over Thanksgiving.

16. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

That there is exactly what i want to hear, since overall i found the transition to 5.x to be pretty rocky so some attention to polish and making features stable is great.

17. blahblahkar

blahblahkar

@holliebuckets

Alright, just tried 5.3 on my Mac and I still can't attached to Unity using Visual Studio running in a VM... And unless I'm missing something this is truly disappointing.

18. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

ya 5.3 still dosnt expose the debugging port for visual studio, if unity is running on OSX

19. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

Hey folks! The Unity VSTU Dev will be jumping on here shortly. Watch for his response :)

20. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

Hi guys,

@holliebuckets thanks :)

Jb here from the VSTU team.

Although we never officially supported the Unity running on OSX and VS running in a VM scenario, VSTU 2.1 definitely has a bug preventing this to work.

People facing having an issue for this scenario are welcome to drop us an email to vstusp@microsoft.com, and we'll set them up with a custom build with a fix until we release 2.2.

21. StarFluke

StarFluke

From http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/do...hould-open-visual-studio.251358/#post-2431199

Have Visual Studio 2015 sp1. After upgrading from Unity 5.2.3f1 to 5.3.0f4 I began seeing this problem: "....started saying it was opening VS and opened Mono Develop instead...."
    I upgraded to 5.3.1f1 and I am still seeing the same problem with an extra symptom:
    Now Visual Studio must Migrate the project to the current Visual Studio version. While the version upgrade is in process, Mono Develop opens.
    Other observations I see:
    The VsHub.exe tree of processes gets started. (Looks normal)
    devenv.exe gets started and just silently idles.
    The new devenv (2015sp1) includes a child process named PerfWatson2.exe when started manually; the Unity kick off never includes this child process.

A workaround exists:
    Manually open Visual Studio and open the Unity project. Now double clicking a file will open it in Visual Studio but the whole project has to be migrated each time... it appears Unity is not accepting the Visual Studio Migration changes.

22. ChicK00o

ChicK00o

I'm too facing issue with directly opening visual studio from untiy 5.3.1f1

my editor log is

starfluke's workaround does not work for me. whenever i double click to open a script, it opens the monodevelop editor. I tried reinstalling unity as well as visual studio

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  23. aholla

aholla

Hi, I am also having a problem with VSTU. It is not listed in the about screen but I can double click a file to open it and the debugger works.

For me I do not see the "Unity Project View" or the "Unity Context Menus" or the "Build Menu" within Visual Studio.

I am using:
    Unity 5.3.1.
    Visual Studio 15 Community
    VSTU 2015
    Resharper Ultimate.

I have tried the disabling Resharper option and it did nothing. I have tried opening VS separately and nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

[EDIT] So I fixed my problem. Visual Studio Tool had been installed via an admin account and my account was not an admin. So when Unity launches, it does not find the Registry Key for the CURRENT_USER that links it to VSTU.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  24. ChicK00o

ChicK00o

25. bluescrn

bluescrn

Is anyone having the problem where VS integration works *but* it launches VS with add-ins missing/disabled? (specifically Visual Assist - the toolbar/menu is visible but all functions are greyed out)? Fairly minor thing, but it's fairly infuriating after a while if you rely on VA's shift-alt-O function to navigate!...

I'm using VS2010, and it works brilliantly with 4.6.x, but in 5.3.1(p4), I get this issue. (Works OK if I open the .sln manually, though)

26. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I don't know if it's unrelated, but since around 5.2, any updates I do with unity fail if I install visual studio tools. If I check several build platforms as well as visual studio tools, the installer bugs with cryptic errors like "(###)" being shown. Once the process is either ended or quit, the unity install works, but is missing every platform but webplayer. If I uncheck the visual studio tools, everything installs fine, visual studio still works fine, and opens through unity by default... I haven't tried a complete uninstall, and just have figured if it ain't broke don't fix it, but I imagine I'm potentially ignoring something that might be keeping me on an older version of the visual studio tools, I'm not sure though. Anyone else had this issue?

27. ChicK00o

ChicK00o

Yup, i always seem to fail to install the VSTU during the installation every time i do it. I get the cryptic error and let it ignore, if i retry, it just downloads it, and still give the error, only way to progress is to ignore it. It thought it might an issues i face as my Visual studio 2015 community is not installed in the default windows drive, hence i never query raised it as such. But everything still works fine. VS opens with double click as well as i'm able to attach it to unity for debugging

28. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Hmm. I might try a complete uninstall and reinstall from scratch and see what happens.

29. Ziplock9000

Ziplock9000

For anyone with VS2013

I was unable to get VSTU 2.1 / VSTU 2015 + Unity 5.3.2 to work with VS 2013
    Open Script - Yes
    VSTU in Help-> About - No
    Attach to Unity - No

Tried installing VSTU 2.1 / VSTU 2015 to no avail.
    Installing the older version of VSTU 2013 even though it explicitly tells you that you don't need to for unity 5.2 on the page below worked.

https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/20b80b8c-659b-45ef-96c1-437828fe7cf2

30. tayl0r

tayl0r

I was having trouble with this as well, after upgrading from VS 2013 to VS 2015.

This is what I did to fix it (and I have ReSharper installed, and it works fine):
    1. completely uninstall VS 2013 and anything VS 2013 related
    2. uninstall VS Tools For Unity 2013 & 2015 (the uninstaller doesn't work, you have to actually run the installer and choose to uninstall from there).
    3. delete all the environment variables for older VS's (any named VS##0COMNTOOLS, except for VS 2015 which is VS140COMNTOOLS)
    4. restart
    5. install VS 2015 (if not installed already)
    6. reinstall VS Tools For Unity 2015
    7. now, Unity shows in About that it recognizes the VS Tools For Unity plugin (it wasn't before)
    8. make sure Unity preferences External Script Editor is linked to VS 2015 (I had to manually browse to the VS 2015 devenv.exe)
    9. double click a .sln file in Explorer and verify that Visual Studio 2015 opens it automatically, without having to run the "Visual Studio Version Selector"
    10. delete the existing .sln and .csproj files in your Unity project folder
    11. restart again
    12. profit
    Edit: It still doesn't work 100%. I dunno WTF is going on. Half the time it can't open the VS project unless I open it manually first.

Is this going to be fixed in a future VSTU update? or in Unity 5.3?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  31. GUSAPOKA

GUSAPOKA

My integration problem with VS solved when i pressed in assets> Open C# Project.

I do not know why , mystery.

32. anushajesus

anushajesus

hello i am using unity 5.5 but i don't know whether visual studio 2012 works in this new version or not?

33. anushajesus

anushajesus

hey i am new one to learn this unity now only i'm doing my first project whether i can using unity 5.5 or otherwise something version?reply me soon........pls

34. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

35. Dave-Carlile

Dave-Carlile

Don't know if 2012 works, but Visual Studio Community 2015 is free so you can always use that. In other words there's nothing stopping you from using Unity 5.5.