Search Unity

'Not Dead Enough'- a zombie apocalypse simulator- now in production!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by dtg108, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tutugah

tutugah

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  2. dtg108

dtg108

Thanks for the ideas guys, you're really helping! Has anybody tried the controller?

3. TVE

TVE

Then you change name to Not Dead Enough Apocalypse or something.

janiashvili - Great ideas, and placing anywhere, is called instantiate in code. Of course you would use a raycast to measure distance from walls or other objects so they will not get placed on other objects. That is where programming comes in. It is not that complicated, as all you need is preset areas on buildings, and inventory to hold materials till ready to build. Of course your inventory would have limited space, I would assume. :]

Here is the head of zombie I am designing for game. Still will be doing touchups, then hair. Then I will do body, extra details, then I do texture. I am going to do a 5 layer texture for a great look.

4. dtg108

dtg108

Looks good TVE ;)

5. TVE

TVE

Thanks heres the Ambient Occlusion version, to give more realism, this is 2nd of my 5 layer texture. :]

Fun project! :]

6. dtg108

dtg108

Looks good :D

7. TVE

TVE

Thanks, will start on texture for it. :] Then when texture done, I will do body, then combine them and make a final texture.

8. dtg108

dtg108

Cool!

9. levijgraham

levijgraham

10. TVE

TVE

11. levijgraham

levijgraham

It's the character controller and building generation. The building generation just isn't finished if you restart the web player the building will be a bit different :)

12. Ereous

Ereous

Gives me a headache playing it at the current state. Probably to do with the camera clipping constantly.

13. levijgraham

levijgraham

I'm working on improving that. It should be improved alot from before. Also i put it in third person for testing purposes its really going to be in first

14. janiashvili

janiashvili

I don't know what you mean, but placing each plank whenever you wish will be bad - it will eat all computing resources and bandwidth for online play

levijgraham
    I personally think, that instead of randomly generated things having pre modeled buildings will be better...

15. dtg108

dtg108

Hey janias, we are listening, thanks for the suggestions, we are listening and love hearing them. We are definitely looking for solutions to base building problems.

16. TVE

TVE

It will not, because you limit possible builds, so they must be destroyed before more builds. Also Instantiating does fine. Also you can have preset areas aswell for more advanced building things, so that it is built properly. :]

17. levijgraham

levijgraham

The building generator will merge everything into one mesh and won't be used in runtime. There is no reason it will slow anything down. Also, It's not that big of a challenge to get some sort of Occlusion Culling working :).

18. dtg108

dtg108

We have some news. Due to the toughness of networking, we have decided to make it single player upon release. Then, in some updates, we might add a multiplayer. In single player, there will be survivor bots throughout the world.

19. TVE

TVE

I may be able to help you out with networking, as I am making my own mmofps. :]

20. dtg108

dtg108

Thanks, but not only is is that, but single-player will solve a lot of problems we had, but it will also help people with no/little internet connection.

21. TVE

TVE

But multiplayer is the addiction! :]

22. dtg108

dtg108

It will play like multiplayer, there will still be survivor bots, and some are hostile while some are friendly.

23. TVE

TVE

Looks like your gonna have to do some advanced AI then. :]

24. dtg108

dtg108

Working on it now :D

25. dtg108

dtg108

I think that soon we will start with weekly updates, where we update every week unless notified. This week we have finished:
    FPS character controller
    Third Person Character controller
    toggle First/third person script
    random building generator (WIP)
    zombie (WIP)

By next sunday we hope to have finished:
    Zombie
    Main Character
    Animations for zombie/main character
    Survivor Bot AI
    Zombie bot AI
    More weapon models

26. janiashvili

janiashvili

Hi.

I was thinking, that having guns in this sort of a game is a little bit demotivational.. well, you'll settle somewhere, you'll make all the barricades, you'll make everything there as you wish, you'll go outside and boom, someone snipes you from god knows where, then what can you do? your building will be "captured" by other players, then you'll have to build everything from scratch. Its not good. it will be super easy to kill you, to lose everything.

So I think it will be better to concentrate on having close range weapons(thrownable items, melee weapons and so on).

What you think?

levijgraham
    I don't know what are you talking about.
    Generator creates walls(mesh) randomly, right? So those walls form buildings, right? What I think about it is, that it will not create anything well looking(or at least, you'll have to put a lot of effort into it, so it will be easier to make models instead)

Or maybe it randomly places models of buildings?

27. dtg108

dtg108

Hey Janias: This will work in single player better I think too. Not having guns at this time would be pretty unrealistic. We are still thinking about solutions for the generator of buildings.

28. DAGames

DAGames

Hey. I've thought of a pretty cool concept. You could use melee weapons like machetes and axes too. If u want help i could help with the melee system. Thanks

29. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

I'm loving the idea! At first I was worried that there wouldn't be any weapons or anything. I love the simple firearms and what not. Character models are looking great too! As for a point of the gas station, but seeing as how you have already finished it, it's probably a moot statement: I think that there might be a bit too much deterioration. If things were that broken down, there really wouldn't be anything left :D Otherwise, I'm really liking the idea. Have been keen on something like this for a long time. Keep up the good work! :)

30. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

Oh absolutely! Where would we be if we couldn't even throw a punch or swing an axe in life? We were born hunters and collectors, we sure as hell should die as such :D

31. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

Silly question on my end but: creating an FPS character controller from scratch? Using your own systems? How difficult will that be? And also, looking forward to it!

32. dtg108

dtg108

It's not very hard, the character controller was complete in a day. Thanks for the compliments!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  33. dtg108

dtg108

Also, yes, there will be melee systems in place. I agree about the deterioration, we might not use that gas station.

34. dtg108

dtg108

Our weapons artist is working on many guns at the moment, including: Colt 1911, Walther P99, a pump-action shotgun, a hunting rifle, and a couple other things. Does anyone else have any requests for weapons? Also, on the previous page I mentiioned that we would be doing weekly updates. With most updates that are visual, we will have a webplayer for you to try :D.

35. janiashvili

janiashvili

Well, rethink please...
    From the point of reality, maximum firearm I can think of is hunting rifle. very few one keeps glock(for example) at home(that means, in case of such disaster, there will be not enough bullets).
    You'll have one weapon, but after killing 2 zombies, all your ammunition will be used(if that glock is the glock, which you had at home in peace time), after going to some abandoned gun shop or warehouse, or police departments, you'll get a lot of ammunition, but, how many zombies you can encounter per day? 5, 10, 20? how many bullets you need to kill 1 zombie? 3, 5, 10? You'll see, that with all the ammunition what you can find in realistic life(I'm not saying about real life), you'll spend in one month.
    Another reason, is that if there will be a lot of ammo in game, players will keep using it and they'll use it against you freely, and you're very insecure in this scenario. Easiest solution to this problem I see is to make ammunition very limited on the map, make it very rare, so for players it will be high priced, but, in this scenario players will keep ammo only for other players - to kill them(as zombies are brainless and you can kill them with melee more easily than another player). Solution may be seen as to make players with a lot of HP, like quake, but then it will be unrealistic as quake(ten rocket hits to kill an player is really unrealistic).
    So easy solution for this massive problem is to remove guns, except like hunting shotguns(which can't harm human that much; I mean which are dedicated for birds and small animals), and instead make simple, but efficient melee system.

Well, that's my point. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

36. TVE

TVE

In order to fix this, you can just make bullets more rare, however, the best fix would be multiplayer, because each person would have to rely on their supplies, and may have to fight over some. :]

37. dtg108

dtg108

You'd be surprised at how many people own Glock handguns, me included. Most people prefer them for concealed carry and thats what most people carry. As for ammunition, it's the same way. Anybody that owns more than handguns will have a lot of ammunition, for hunting, self defense, and target practice. If you searched the houses in streets, you'd find well over 200 rounds in some houses. We are doing research daily, and I'm using my guns in real life more than ever so I can focus on the mechanics. By the way, zombies die by bullets to the head, and one shot will destroy the brains. It is still very likely that you will run out of ammo, so you will then switch to melee (Bats, axe, etc.) Hope that this clears things up.

38. janiashvili

janiashvili

I was saying, that what you've said to be fix, is a problem.

And why should people fight with eachother, when they have to fight zombies. Instead they should gather together to fight them.

Well, I think, the true solution for that will be, that to force players to co operate...

To make their life so hard, that they won't have anything against eachother, to have reason to 'love' players, not be afraid of them...

Maybe some nuts will like to kill, but most of players should be for the peace. I mean to have this main concept at gameplay: Instead of having deathmatch, to have team deathmatch with friendly fire... Maybe to understand this concept is a little bit hard, so tell me if its hard for you

This is only important for online play...

-------------------

dtg108
    really?.. where you live? Edit: USA...

But how about zombies, how can you create many zombies, I guess after few nights of murdering, most of zombies will be dead already(if you'll make settings in USA), better make Asia as the place where this thing apocalypse happens. A little racistic through

39. dtg108

dtg108

I live in Georgia, just moved from Kentucky. In single player, we will have many friendly bots and a couple hostile ones, a couple on the fence ones, and some backstabbers. Most will be friendly. Others, you will have to take care of. Once you have some friends and the bots gain your trust, they WILL have your back. Online won't be available upon release. But friendly AI will take care of hostiles for you, and you can send them on missions to gather supplies, and you can take them with you if you want to do something. Say you want to go to a department store. You can send some with you, but you better know which ones are hostiles, because they'll kill you. Some hostiles that are backstabbers and on the fence, you can gain their trust, but some will kill you no matter what. Just watch your back. We're trying to be as real as possible. When we release the game, there will be no Multiplayer, only AI bots/

40. janiashvili

janiashvili

Then, there is no problem...How will be "respawn" thing? Or, there will be saving in-game?

So, first release will have only finished gameplay mechanics? I think you can make a little storyline or campaign to make game more interesting even for first public release, but that's not important.

41. dtg108

dtg108

Thanks for asking questions, I LOVE anwering.Saving will be in-game. You can respawn as zombie or start without everything you had, your choice. Yes, upon release we will have many places to explore, weapons, etc. but after release we will update with more maps, weapons, things to do, etc. Thanks and bring on questions!

42. tutugah

tutugah

Ok. So i see a problem that you did not answer... Will you make a fps based on a survival theme, or a surviving sim because you have to be verry cearfull about those guns and how powerfull will them be, also how much can you rely on them. I'm thinking that fireing a shot should be very unrewarding and be used only in extream situation. As for AI intelligence i believe that would be very cool to habe those kind of bots but it may be very hard to pull off, i'm looking forward to see them

43. dtg108

dtg108

Tutugah, I agree. Ammo will be precious, and you don't want to use too much. If you did, then you would be out, and eventually, there will be no ammo left in the entire game. This is probably more of a simulator, like ARMA 2 is. Thanks for the compliments, the bots are tough work, but we are figuring out solutions for them like we are everything else.

44. dtg108

dtg108

I have some big news. We hope to have a playable very early BETA out to you by Early March! We hope to have the Beta ready by February 28th, then we'll release it soon after! This has been a very exciting educational experience for us, and we can't wait for you to try it out!

45. tutugah

tutugah

I think early BETA is called alpha... it dosen't really matters... but i just wanted to point it up

46. dtg108

dtg108

Sorry, anyway, ALPHA :D. We are very excited to announce this, because this is a huge milestone. The game has been tough and very hard so far, but it has been a very exciting experience and we can't wait to share it with you guys.

47. dtg108

dtg108

48. dtg108

dtg108

Has anyone tried the 1st/3rd person toggle, building generation, and zombie AI? If so, what did you think?

49. Nightmare Games

Nightmare Games

yes, the camera in both 1st and 3rd person is a bit too wobbly, other than that its very good, missing a mouse lock and hide script, but good.
    I like the ai
    Hope to have that model for you soon:)

50. LeoSalles

LeoSalles

First post on unity forums, I'd like to say that this is an interesting project, I've being programming a game much in the same directions as you guys where the player can craft/mod and use almost everything in the scenery in order to extend his life, but I'm terrible at 3D models, really... I suck. Would make more sense for me to make a minecraft-like game (since it's all about programming) then to go full on 3D gaming... Anyway...
    So I'd like to say good work on the models, I know how hard it is to get it right.

But the movement... I think it's terrible, really... It seems like you're on a boat on a heavy storm each step you make. If you're really sick that would make some sense, but as you start out!?

The toggle is ok, personally I wouldn't do the 3rd person thing because I'm not up for the challenge of modelling and animating the character, but it seems to work well for you guys.

Thumbs up for the project, I would really like to see it complete.

P.s. Work on going up and down stairs, seems to be very buggy

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.