Search Unity

Noob to login/register system

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by MissingPotato, Mar 15, 2017.

?

Do you think unity just isn't made for this kind of stuff, which makes it imposible?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. MissingPotato

MissingPotato

(NOTE: This isn't going to go commercial, it's going to be free and i am just trying to learn here)

Hello, my name's kato, and this is pretty much the first time i ever touch the database subject.. I have been looking on the internet nonstop for a good tutorial to explain me this but..

1) How do i make a login/register system to my game?

2) I do own a domain, how do i make it so i can host all the usernames and passwords on my website?

3) Can i host it with my home computer?

4) What about mobile support?

What i am trying to make is a basketball app, an 1v1 app to be more exact, i want to make it avaible for the whole world, there already are some apps like this that only work for america, which do sucks... And i was designing the app and everything and then it hit me "I need a login/register system". Where do i even begin?

What i am trying to do is the following :

- Host some kind of server at home where i can store all the login information
    - Only give the user the choice of Some parks from my city (currently) so i don't have to get google maps into this

Thank you in advance for reading this, i would love if someone could explain to me at least what to look up on the internet to learn databases and everything, maybe some basic example codes?

2. donnysobonny

donnysobonny

If all you want to do is be able to uniquely identify a player, there are quire a few third-party solutions like gamesparks where they offer storage of player accounts and data for you (at a cost obviously). Unity has it's Social api which is free (to my knowledge) which offers similar but more limited features built into unity, for any of it's build platforms.

From reading your post, it's fairly clear that you're quite new to this topic. I could go into detail on how you could implement your own solution but it ultimately involves a lot of different topics such as databases, web servers, security and much more. So personally I would recommend using a third-party solution, or unity's Social api.

Hopefully this helps. Good luck!

3. MissingPotato

MissingPotato

Thank you so much for replying,can you recommend some courses i should follow? Some kind of directions? You've already pointed me to a lot of new stuff, thank you so much!

4. donnysobonny

donnysobonny

If you're looking for tutorials, or people to tell you exactly how to do what you want to do, you're going to struggle. I can only really recommend that you look into the suggestions that I have made, such as unity's social api and/or third party solutions such as gamesparks. The chances are, learning about databases/web servers/security and other things that you ideally need to know in order to implement your own login are a little out of reach for you right now.

A quick google/youtube search may pull up some useful information for you, but be prepared to be faced with a huge learning curve, and take your time.

If you have further/more specific questions though let me know. Otherwise, good luck!