Search Unity

No UNET Matchmaker for non pro owners?

Discussion in 'UNet' started by Munchy2007, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Just checked my Multiplayer Services console this morning, and found this.
    Services.png
    So does this mean that unless you own a Pro license the only option to use UNET is with direct IP connection?

2. Sockeater

Sockeater

As far as I understand Unity is giving you 20 free CCU for development purposes, if you wish to distribute the game and go "live" you have to pay for the service (as shown in your screenshot)

to answer your question, yes you'll need to pay for Unity Pro (buy or subscribe) to access matchmaking features IF you are distributing the game and require more than 20CCU. Else, you should be fine without the need to pay

3. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

I've selected 4 CCU and it's given me a monthly charge figure, it looks to me like there is no level of free service for published games, so to use Matchmaker at any level of usage for anything other than testing purposes I'll need Unity pro?

4. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Just entered 100CCU and it's giving me a cost of $89.95 per month, which works out at $5397 over 5 years at maximum usage. Compare that to PUN+ which costs $85.00 for the same max CCU for 5 years. This makes UNET over 63 times more expensive.

Secondly PUN has a free service up to 20CCU, which gives the option to release a game and suffer little or no financial cost if it isn't successful. And then if it does take off, you can easily switch to a higher CCU package, but at a 63rd of the price of UNET.

Looks like it's back to Photon for me, as I don't make enough from the few games I've released to even cover the cost of the Pro sub. Sad really because I liked UNET.

Edit: forgot to say 20CCU will cost £18 a month compared to 0$ for PUN. It's definitely not small developer friendly.

5. JeremyUnity

JeremyUnity

Hi Munchy2007,
    Our full pricing info is available at https://unity3d.com/services/multiplayer

In short, Personal Edition is free entitles developers to 20CCU, and Professional Edition entitles developers to 200CCU. We then have a flexible pricing model described by the calculator on the services console that allows developers to dial in their own plan based on CCU and bandwidth required.

6. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Unless I'm mistaken I need to buy/subscribe to Unity Pro to use the Matchmaker/Relay servers on a game that is no longer in development?

7. richard-lee

richard-lee

Unity Technologies

Yes, correct. Else, your game will not be able to go beyond your CCU limit (20 for Personal, 200 for Professional) for multiplayer.

8. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Oh I see, so there's effectively a 20CCU limit across all apps for non pro developers.

9. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

So does this mean that when using that calculator, for 'Expected Users' we should enter the number of expected users beyond the 200 CCU that we are already provided in order to properly estimate cost? Because entering 200 shows a ridiculous monthly cost when you would think it would be..you know..0. I guess it's not taking into account the already provided 200 CCU? but that's especially confusing when we are shown the message "Based on the information you have provided, your project’s capacity will increase to 200 CCU..."

I thought my project's capacity already was 200 CCU.

10. richard-lee

richard-lee

Unity Technologies

Today, you should not consider your entitled amount of capacity to estimate your cost. The reason is because your entitled amount is effectively your development environment. When you go live, you’re using a separate “production” environment. The messaging will be updating on the page to be more clear.

The philosophy is that while in a pre-release state, developers need the freedom to optimize their game and shouldn’t have to worry about how much bandwidth is being used, up to a reasonable limit (represented by CCU). When the game is in production, developers are charged for what they actually use.

11. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

Thanks for the clarification!

12. Rungsted93

Rungsted93

Hello Richard i hope you can answer me on this:

Lets say i have Unity Plus which has 50 CCU included and i go live. Then 60 people are playing my game, do i then only pay for the 10 of them since i have 50 included in Plus or how does that work? Would help a lot in the start of an Indie game if that was the case :)
    Also it would give a better value to upgrade to Pro from Plus to have those extra 150 CCU for "free" in regard to the go live feature :)

13. www_3dart_es

www_3dart_es

I have other question to Richard, can we publish our App on PlayStore with personal edition using this 20 CCU limitation? it is "legal"?. I know that can only use the "Go live" (pay for aditional GB) the Plus/Pro users, but we can use the 20CCU as is?

14. richard-lee

richard-lee

Unity Technologies

@Rungsted93 The intent is that the CCUs are intended only for development purposes, because we're not counting the bandwidth for it. I will need to confirm the specific calculation logic. In practice, the observed price difference between 50 and 60 concurrent users (approx 5000 - 6000 unique users) is pretty small. <$5USD / mo; much less if excluding outliers

@p3dart-es Yes you can but the service will not allow you to go over 20, which would probably upset your players when you get over 20

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  15. www_3dart_es

www_3dart_es

Ok, thanks.

There will be a possibility that the Personal Users can also use the Go Live in a near future?. I think it is fair to pay for extra CCUs (over 20CCU), we already have some engine limitations regards to the Plus/Pro users. Let us also Go Live paying for GB as the other members.

16. richard-lee

richard-lee

Unity Technologies

Yes, Personal Users will be able to Go Live. As noted on the launch FAQ thread, it's strictly a billing system limitation and if you can reach out to me specifically if you are on Personal and planning to launch a game publicly. No ETA when this will be supported programmatically

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    MrLucid72 likes this.
  17. www_3dart_es

www_3dart_es

Thanks you.

Then, with regards to your post here:
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/s...-dont-know-where-to-turn.445890/#post-2887693

my current App Push One Beer! (that I want to add Online Multiplayer) have now 190 "downloads on active devices" (as said on my Google Play Developer Console). Then I should not worry about until I have 2.000 "downloads on active devices"?. or, I can´t use this metric?. Maybe it can be even higher, because having the App installed don´t meant that he plays constantly. I don´t have Unity Analitics on this proyect yet. I will publish it with the Online release.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016