Search Unity

No Heroes - A realistic multiplayer FPS

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by eskovas, Jul 12, 2011.

1. dinodino

dinodino

i just want to know when you release it. it looks real owesome! by the way,i really want to play with bots,'cause i don't have much time online

2. eskovas

eskovas

The game will only be online multiplayer when it's released :/

-------------

Haven't animated anything in a while, so i decided to take a couple of hours to practice and make some new animations :D
    These won't be used in the game, since the weapon will be changed.
    Lighting is also a bit off in the new clip.

What do you think? is it better? :p

The development is going great :D currently working on the multiplayer component and character controller.

3. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Have you thought about using substance designer for making textures? I find it gives amazing results and unique at the same time.

4. IISniperII

IISniperII

Will this game be for WebGL/Webplayer or will it be a download?

I look forward to the alpha release, keep up the great work!

5. eskovas

eskovas

Hello everyone :)
    I just updated the description of No Heroes, hope it describes better how the game is and will be. Feedback is welcomed :)

Be thrown into a battle where opponents fight to survive until only one remains in Battle Royale.
    Communicate and plan as a small team to capture or defend objectives in a tense atmosphere, and a large dynamic interactive and destructible environment in Invasion.
    Fight as a larger team to capture objective points spread out across a region in Conquer.

Key Features
    • Interactive and Destructible Environment
      Interact with the environment as you would expect it would interact, being able to open/close doors and windows, as well as break through them, turn on/off the lights on the streets and buildings or simply bring down the electricity of the whole region and much more.
      Make your own paths in the environment by destroying it to your advantage, being able to destroy walls, environment objects and bring whole buildings down.
    • Player Mobility
      Move through the environment as freely as you can possibly can, being able to vault over obstacles, climb over walls, roll from a fall and more, allowing for a smoother vertical gameplay, and fast chases.
      Perform powerful takedowns to take out the enemy when up close.
    • Physics
      Every projectile is affected by physics and takes its time to reach the target, making the gun-play as realistic as possible.
    • Customization and Progression System
      Customize your weapons from sights and silencers to stocks and camouflages, allowing for thousands of different combinations for most of the weapons.
      Customize your weapon before battle or change most of the weapons attachments while in battle with attachments you find.
      Also customize your character by choosing various equipment and gear for various parts of your character.
      Unlock each item though an unlock tree, where more than one item is available to be allowed at every time for each weapon and player item. Each item will also require a different unlocking type value and amount.
    • Dynamic Weather and Day/Night Cycle
      Immerse yourself in a fully dynamic environment where the weather and time of day change the atmosphere and the way you approach your objective.
    • Immersive Experience
      Feel a realistic and tense combat gameplay experience. Feel and control the recoil of your weapons after each bullet you fire.
      Minimalistic HUD where the usual HUD elements are implemented right into the game experience.
    • Game Modes
      Battle Royale
      Invasion
      Conquer
      Team Deathmatch and Deathmatch

No Heroes will be available through Steam's Early Access when the game's main vision and features are complete, and works as expected.
    No Heroes is expected to be released through Early Access in 2015.

No Heroes is a Free-To-Play Multiplayer First Person Shooter. It features NO micro-transactions, and offers a way for you to support the development by purchasing a cheap Supporter Account where you gain access to be able to unlock extra exclusive Skins for each Weapon, Gear for your character, Avatar images and more.
    I'm open for more suggestions for the Supporter Account features, but none of what will be offered through this account will give advantage to the player over the others.

No Heroes was created and is being developed by @Tiago11F

Follow the development of No Heroes through:
    Facebook: facebook.com/DrunkenLizardGames
    Twitter: twitter.com/DrunkenLizardG
    Youtube: youtube.com/DrunkenLizardGames

Last edited: May 19, 2015
    randomperson42 and hergo97 like this.
  6. hergo97

hergo97

what is Battle Royale and Invasion?
    and release date?:)

7. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

"being able to open/close doors and windows,..."

STOP FIRING! STOP FIRING! SOMEBODY LEFT THAT WINDOW OPEN! GET OVER THERE AND CLOSE IT! LOL, that is the funniest description I've ever read for a FPS.

I am da bawss likes this.
  8. eskovas

eskovas

I included a small description of what those are. I will make a more detailed description when i have everything set up :)

Well, if you are going to try to be stealthy, opening and closing doors and windows silently is a must. ;) as well as break them quickly when you need to.

9. helioraanswer

helioraanswer

Looks good about realism and minimal HUD.
    Hopefully you'll also get rid of the crosshairs and if you reload you lose the leftover ammo in the clip you throw away.
    How does health work? Do you regenerate like Wolverine, or is it realistic?
    Do you have body damage effects?

10. eskovas

eskovas

Here's a little something extra :p

What wrong import settings on your textures can cause (Seems like i've been using the wrong settings for quite some time :D ):
    Left is wrong, Right is right.
    importsetttings.jpg

Here's also the awesomeness of the Real-Time GI in Unity :D

Regarding development, I've been completely reworking the server infrastructure and how the server interacts with the users and database (which is practically finished).
    Shouldn't be too long until i get back to gameplay :)

hergo97 likes this.
  11. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

GI looks great, as well as the textures.

12. eskovas

eskovas

Hello everyone!

Just giving a small update on the development.

I'm been working on behind-the-scenes stuff on No Heroes, and because of that it's hard to make updates on something you can't go into much detail or even show.

I'm been primarily working on server/client infrastructure, database interaction, creating game systems ( unlocks, stats, etc ), creating easier ways to add new content to the game during and after release, etc etc...

With that almost complete ( i'm currently testing and bug fixing all the new systems ), next i'll be working on making the game modes and completely redesigning the gameplay component and network component.

When that is done, updates should be posted more often.
    I'm also trying to be more active on the Steam discussion forums, so if you have questions or ideas, feel free to post them there. ( only thing i ask is to please don't ask questions that can be answered by reading the description )

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/discussions/102544767

I'll also try to respond to questions here on these forums.

Thanks for your support and feedback :)

hergo97, Kellyrayj and Whiteleaf like this.
  13. eskovas

eskovas

I'm finally back to work on the gameplay part of No Heroes :D
    With the main system almost done, it's time to focus on multiplayer and gameplay. The gamemodes system is also already a little advanced, with some of the gamemodes almost ready.

Now i'm wokring on the player controller, multiplayer and gameplay features.

I'm currently using Bolt networking middleware, and by using it, it will feature client-side prediction, dead-reckoning, and more.
    I'm still not 100% convinced on the networking, since Unet is already here and the services it will offer are very interesting. But for now i'm sticking with Bolt.

Servers will also be Authoritative.

I'm currently working on the basics of the gameplay, like moving around, jumping, etc. (already working)
    Now i'm making the animations and poses for the character, so i can advance in other areas with a fully functional player controller.

Here's something i did today :) :

Correct skeleton movement for looking up/down. Before, it just rotated one spine bone looking like the back was broken .
    vertical rotatio.jpg

EDIT:
    In another news, this thread just reached 200k+ views :eek:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    IndieAner3d and randomperson42 like this.
  14. eskovas

eskovas

A lot of new stuff added recently to the multiplayer!

Like i said before, i've been making the basic player controller, and it's much more advanced now.
    I've been adding things like body animations, weapon movement animations, weapon dynamic movement based on velocity, state synchronization to non-controlling clients and animation on those clients with as few variables as possible.

The vertical movement described in the last post was changed to script based rotation of the same bones instead of using an additive animation. It's much more precise now and doesn't bug out the rotations.

A new feature that the game didn't have before has been added, which is the possibility to lean.

Movement speed, jumping velocity and fall velocity has also been improved.

Here's a new screenshot demonstrating the server and 2 clients :)

server client test.jpg

15. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Just curious do you have any beta/alpha release for your game? I think you should start alpha/beta testing dude. . . it would great for you to gather feedback . .

16. TVE

TVE

@Rea He's working hard and from what I can tell provides us with great amounts of information to provide feedback, in amazing detail. You should read the first post about the game before asking questions (; just in case it is already answered, and to catch you up.
    @eskovas
    Great job eskovas! Looks great! Your work has been a long time inspiration for me.

17. eskovas

eskovas

It's too soon for that, players can't even shoot yet :D
    I started working on the brand new multiplayer from scratch less than a week ago...
    I had already made a few major systems for the player and weapon components before that though.

18. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Well i already did, besides i've been following this project from beginning. that's why i'm asking

19. eskovas

eskovas

A lot of new stuff has been improved and added, like smoother network movement, new animations, improved and smoother vertical character movement.
    Also made a small change to the skeleton that improved a lot of movement problems and simplified a few functionalities.

Also added the ability to crouch and prone, along with transition animations between standing/crouching/proning.
    new.jpg

20. eskovas

eskovas

Just a quick update.

Making big changes, removing the very old robot looking character, and introducing a new actual character to the game.
    Made this character really fast using Mixamo's Fuse.
    Still need to change a few colors and patterns on the textures to make it more unique from the default one.

newCharacters.jpg

I'll also start working on the system that will allow to customize the character.

21. eskovas

eskovas

Simple video demonstrating server-side authoritative movement in No Heroes.

22. eskovas

eskovas

Giving a little update on the development.

I've been working on player movement, animations, network synchronization and vaulting mechanics.

I was able to make 100% smooth transitions between normal animations, skeleton vertical movement (player look up/down) and vaulting animations.
    Here's a demonstration:
    https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CKZPmklXAAAZsDY.mp4

The problem i was having is that the whole upper skeleton rotates so the player can look up/down, so when a vaulting animation plays, it affected the same bones which had weird results. I had to make a transition smoothing between those too.

I was also having a little problem with network synchronization when doing vaulting animations, since i was using a technique using teleportation after the animation is complete, which for authoritative movement is a complete mess, basically impossible to have smooth transitions.
    So today i implemented a custom Root Motion for vaulting animations (and any other kind of animations), making network synchronization much simpler.
    ROOTMOTION.jpg

23. ra_rasmus

ra_rasmus

Hey there! :D

I'm really impressed by your work. Have kept stumbling across No Heroes for a couple of years now when looking to others for inspiration regarding first person setups in Unity. I do believe it's up there with the very best!

A couple of pages back in this thread, you mentioned having cracked the issue of getting dynamic shadows on the view-hands and weapon, and I see it functional in your updates - beautiful! Have you thought more about revealing your secret sauce to fellow developers? :)

It's fantastic to see this project going strong and getting nearer release. Keep up the great work

24. eskovas

eskovas

Hello there, thanks for the words :)

Regarding the shadows, the solution worked pretty well, but had a major flaw in performance with trees and leaves.
    There is a thread i discussed this with other members. If you want to look at it and try to improve on it, go ahead: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/modify-z-projection.281479/

This was done with Unity4, so i don't even know if it works like that in Unity5.
    Hopefully someone will create this highly requested feature :D

25. ra_rasmus

ra_rasmus

Thanks for the reply, eskovas - and for the referral to the other thread. :)
    A replacement shader, eh?.. At first glance it sounds ingenious, the repercussions even seem somewhat manageable.
    I'm gonna have to toy around with this method for a while! See if I can get it working in Unity 5.. o_O

I'll be sure to post any discoveries (in the other thread, to not derail this one).

EDIT:
    Oh I can't post there - insufficient privileges.
    Anyway I managed to recreate your method in Unity 5, eskovas.

The typical dual camera setup with separate depths, fov, and so on. No. 1 renders world and shadow casters, no. 2 renders shadow casters and viewmodel with replacement shader.

I see what you meant about needing one big replacement shader with multiple subshaders corresponding to their replacementTags. I had to look up some help for understanding that. This post explains it quite well. http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/how-do-you-get-replacementtag-to-work.27596/

This little thing was my subshader for opaque shadow caster objects:

SubShader {
    Tags { "ObjectType" = "World" }
    UsePass "VertexLit/SHADOWCASTER"​
    }​

I haven't tested against alpha type shaders like leaves yet, but so far this method seems to get things done. Definately the best "hack" I've seen. Not quite sure how to really stress-test it myself though.

Once again, thanks for sharing, eskovas! :)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  26. eskovas

eskovas

Hello everyone!

I've been away from development for 2 weeks since i was on vacations (now over), so now that i'm back to my desktop pc, i'm now able to work on the game in my free time :)

I'm currently working on being able to give weapons to the player (normal spawn with loadout) and spawn weapons and attachments on the map and being able to pick those up (for Battle Royale and maybe some other gamemode)

In the meanwhile, here's a screenshot of some effects tests in the test level.

screenshot.png

27. dexxerg

dexxerg

What will be the name of the new Main Map? :3

28. eskovas

eskovas

Haven't named it yet :D

29. dexxerg

dexxerg

Can you reveal an area of it? Please :3

30. eskovas

eskovas

I only made a blockout of the map but it is still going to be changed, so i can't really show it :/
    The image you see above is just the test map where i test the networking and multiplayer in a fast and simple way.

dexxerg likes this.
  31. eskovas

eskovas

only saw the edit of your post now :p

Yeah, that was what i was able to achieve. I was also able to get shadows from leaves but the performance was really poor and since i'm not a shader guy, i didn't know how to improve it, so i kinda gave up on it :(

Let me know if you can get anything working with that :D

32. nxtboyIII

nxtboyIII

Looks awesome!!!

33. eskovas

eskovas

[DELETED]

EDIT:
    Since this is a completely new solution for this mechanic, it is still incomplete and needs some improvements. ( old one was too complex )
    For example, it doesn't support a platform that has no wall bellow it yet.

EDIT2:
    Woops, missed a few things in the image i posted... I'll try to fix it tomorrow or so :/

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  34. dexxerg

dexxerg

Uhm, What picture you just deleted? :D And did you fix it already?

35. eskovas

eskovas

Hello everyone!

Here's a little update on the development.
    Like i said in the previous post, i've been working on being able to spawn network weapons on the map and also on the player. Still working on it, but it's already working.

I've also remade the IK system because the old one didn't work properly.
    With the new one, it can nicely blend between different states the player is performing, blending the hands, with the IK placement on the weapons (Idle animations, grip position, etc), hands movement based on the weapons rotation (reload, ammo check, etc) and normal hand placement (vault/climb/takedowns).

I made it this way because it saves me from making many many animations.
    This way, it reuses the same animations for every weapon.

I've also been working on transition between states, improved dynamic movement, made new animations(temporary, used to be able to test the mechanics).

I'm now currently working on weapon mechanics(fire/reload/etc).

Here's a video demonstrating the new IK system, vault and climb mechanics:

HerrDarko and frosted like this.
  36. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Seems pretty smooth, although the climbing time is a bit slow. Or, the animation is too long.

37. eskovas

eskovas

Most of the animations are only temporary, so i can test the mechanics. :)

Whiteleaf and Defcon44 like this.
  38. eskovas

eskovas

Creating a realistic and immersive experience - Part1: Have control over what's on the weapon.

Initial testing of interacting with attachments on the weapon.

The IK system has been improved and you can see it working very well in this video with the transitions between normal and vault animations, and different IK positions on the weapon.
    By using IKs, these animations with this attachments could be used for all weapons without any additional animations, saving countless animations.

Much more complex things to come :)

HerrDarko likes this.
  39. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Dunno but the position feels a bit off to me, might be realisticilly positioned but it just doesn't feel right for me right now. Other stuff is chool though.

40. nxtboyIII

nxtboyIII

This is looking really awesome! Amazing how you're the only one developing this!

EDIT: is there a kickstarter for this?

41. HuniSenpai

HuniSenpai

42. dexxerg

dexxerg

@eskovas Is it possible to add Blood and Gore into the game?

43. eskovas

eskovas

Hello everyone, here's a little update.

I've been working on the gun-play, movement and recoil of weapons.
    I also reworked the sway movement of the weapons. it's now much smoother and less jaggy when moving the mouse.
    I also reworked how animations are created and mixed into the Animation component. Making it easier and quicker to add new weapons without much work.

I'm also working on the new mechanic where the player will be able to switch, with animation, the attachments in real-time.
    This is a little more complex, since i don't want to make one animation per attachment and per weapon for that attachment. I'm making a system that will re-use the animations of the attachments for all weapons.

My goal with all of this is to make an immersive experience, where every action you make actually happens in-game with as less work as possible to add new content to the game (key part).

After this, i'll be making it possible for the player to see how much ammo the gun has by actually looking at the magazine, translating on-screen elements to in-game actions.

Here's a sneak peek of the gun-play i mentioned earlier btw :D

---------------------------------------------------

@likeslater
    There will be blood but not gore.

chingwa and Whiteleaf like this.
  44. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Those animations are super smooth. Great work!

45. nxtboyIII

nxtboyIII

Holy crap... this is looking AWESOME!! I'm suuuuper impressed you are the sole developer of this!!! Great, great work!!

46. Rombie

Rombie

Amazing results so far. This project has been developing into quite the impressive game.

Keep up the great work!

47. nxtboyIII

nxtboyIII

Please more updates!! I cannot wait!

48. Crystalline

Crystalline

This = Battlefield. Not trying to be rude, but whats the difference? It seems like a perfect clone, animations, graphics style, camera style..etc etc. I don't think is a good idea to compete with a clone vs a huge game with a large popularity and audience.
    Just letting you know, unless you put something unique and different, the game "idea" might fail in the hands of other players.
    " I already own BF , why play this game"?

Remeber this words each time you spend more minutes on development.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  49. eskovas

eskovas

@Crystalline

How is this a "perfect clone"?
    Your choice of words to describe it is a little strange.
    Graphics style is modern military, camera style is first person shooter, animations are normal, realistic type animations. How does that translate to a perfect clone of another game?
    As far as i know, there are plenty of games out there that share the same type of things you are saying and those things don't make them clones of other games. ( farcry, call of duty, CS:GO, GTA5 fps mode, Arma 3, etc )

The main goal of No Heroes is to give a realistic and immersive experience, where you have almost full control over what you should be able to do, like motion actions ( vault, climb, interact with environment, etc etc ) or actual interaction with the equipment you have in real-time ( weapon, attachments ).
    It also has a strong focus on realism. I will also be adding a few features that will make the game strongly immersive.
    This game also focus on infantry ( doesn't have vehicles ) and strong team work on a few game modes.
    The one of two main game modes of No Heroes is Battle Royale. Similar to the movie, a large group of people get thrown into a region, where the last one standing is the winner. (obviously more complex than that)
    The other main game mode is Invasion, where a small group of players try to capture an objective, planning before the match the tactics and how the plan of entrance to the objective will be like.

After everything i described about the game, i would say with confidence that it does not resemble Battlefield at all.
    Also, most of what i said here is in the description of the game.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    georetro likes this.
  50. Terminator75

Terminator75

This game is = Battlefield is really a compliment when you think about it. A one man team "Eskovas" even coming close to the AAA standards of modern day fps titles without the endless budgets or the manpower of a big studio is a testament to the hard work and meticulous attention to detail he has given to this game. Sure the camera angles and animation might look similar but there's no need to reinvent the wheel here, hes only improving it and in a big way with the advanced parkour system and bullet mechanics for a game still under development.

And to answer the question why should you play this game if you allready have bf?
    Why wouldn't you give this game a go? its a free-to-play and anyone with an internet connection can enjoy this mans hard work and enjoy an immersive experience without having to pay a large sum of money to buy the game + dlc + all that other bs AAA games do to make money.