Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

New video player doesn't work on iOS

Discussion in '5.6 Beta' started by Esera, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Esera

Esera

So I tried the new video player from Unity 5.6 Beta and I can play videos in the editor. But when I try to build it to my iPhone (no build errors) the video doesn't play at all.

Does anyone know why it isn't working on iOS?

2. Esera

Esera

Just tested it on simulators: There it also works. Is there any reason why it won't work on iPhone 5 with iOS 10.2?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  3. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi Esera,
    Could you please file a bug report for this issue and reply in here with the case #?

4. Esera

Esera

Hi,

I've reported a bug under #883169

Thanks for helping!

LeonhardP likes this.
  5. DominiqueLrx

DominiqueLrx

Unity Technologies

Hi Esera!

Thanks for reporting this bug, we'll have a look soon. One thing that was brought to our attention is that the transcoding our importer is doing produces H.264 videos that may not be compatible with the iOS requirements. I don't have all the details yet as we're not done with the investigation.

But in the mean time, what you can try is to get a video that is known to play fine on your iPhone, and then take this same video into Unity *without transcoding* and give it a try with the VideoPlayer.

The tests we are verifying daily run on iPads Mini 1 and 2, which run fine as far as I can see. Our testers use a variety of devices, I'll try to see what is our most recent coverage for iPhone 5.

Thanks for your feedback, I'll be back if/when I have more information.

Dominique
    A/V developer at Unity

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    Esera and charlesb_rm like this.
  6. Esera

Esera

Hi,

So I finally solved the problem: It was indeed the H.264 codec, which couldn't be read by my iPhone.
    I didn't knew that.

Thanks for helping me,
    Esera